• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Venting my frustration on the "ten years later, what do you think of Halo: CE" thread. A lot of stupid complains.

"I can only switch between two weapons? How disappointing."
"The levels are directionless and dull."

Ugh.

kylej

Banned
Dax01 said:
Venting my frustration on the "ten years later, what do you think of Halo: CE" thread. A lot of stupid complains.

Ugh.

Stop worrying about what they think. You're pissing in the wind.

Lots of companies give the impression they are opposed to having multi disc games.

Is this a logistics concern or something else? surely it cant be that much more budget consuming.

I wonder if 343 are opposed to multidisc games, personally i think its the way the halo series needs to go. Dedicated Multiplayer disc, dedicated single player disc. 18gb worth of content.

Dax01 said:

Ugh.

I'll break this down for you. Its called the CE Bug.

1.Kids bought Halo CE
2.Kids beat up their local friends in CE.
3.Halo2 came out and they got shit on by kids like me on Live.
4.They bought each successive Halo and played 100 games, got shit on most of the time.
5.They now have a grudge against anything with the name "Halo"

Ignore those trolls they are just bad kids.

Dax01 said:

Ugh.
It only bugs me if they qualify it by saying that they're coming from PC games and coming from holding 10 weapons and seeming like a downgrade. I was a more primarily PC gamer during Halo's release (but the natural differences between a console and PC FPS didn't really bother me, I didn't really compare them like that), but I loved the two weapon inventory in Halo. Not because I thought "derp st00pid console controller cant quick change to other wepons" but because at the time it seemed like each weapon had its own strengths and weaknesses to be used on their own, not with a linear progression of weapons that you found in other FPS games.

In Half-Life, you got a rocket launcher far into the game, because it was a powerful weapon that was persistently in your inventory. In Halo? You can find it early on, because the weapons were designed to be disposable. While the rockets were powerful, you couldn't hold many and had to use them wisely.

That, and it made the aftermath of battles that much more fun, it meant that I could actually scavenge through the bodies to look for new weaponry, instead of just aimlessly walking through the environment and picking up appropriate ammo for one of my many current weapons.

StalkerUKCG said:
Lots of companies give the impression they are opposed to having multi disc games.

Is this a logistics concern or something else? surely it cant be that much more budget consuming.

I wonder if 343 are opposed to multidisc games, personally i think its the way the halo series needs to go. Dedicated Multiplayer disc, dedicated single player disc. 18gb worth of content.
lol. Halo series need to go. There will be only one Halo for the Xbox 360(hopefully) and after that, the next Xbox arrives with much more space for games.

xxjuicesxx said:
I'll break this down for you. Its called the CE Bug.

1.Kids bought Halo CE
2.Kids beat up their local friends in CE.
3.Halo2 came out and they got shit on by kids like me on Live.
4.They bought each successive Halo and played 100 games, got shit on most of the time.
5.They now have a grudge against anything with the name "Halo"

Ignore those trolls they are just bad kids.

This is so true, H2 really negates the CE is the best mutliplayer halo, H2 was leaps and bounds above it. Rose tinted glasses ect

Hypertrooper said:
lol. Halo series need to go. There will be only one Halo for the Xbox 360(hopefully) and after that, the next Xbox arrives with much more space for games.

I was talking primarily about halo4, id assume next xbox will have an increased disc size but im curious as to what.

Blu-rays look like the current top dog for a good few years and i cant see microsoft wanting to pay money to the blu-ray consortium. Proprietary disc format would cost them a hell of a lot ( i imagine)

StalkerUKCG said:
This is so true, H2 really negates the CE is the best mutliplayer halo, H2 was leaps and bounds above it. Rose tinted glasses ect

Its just those CE Purists are so annoying "DUDE I HAD THE SICKEST 3 SHOT PISTOL".

That shit is so annoying who gives a fuck that shit was trash and didn't have Live. If it did, I probably would have been better than them anyways.

H2 BR supremacy. Adapt you bad CE kids.

FyreWulff

StalkerUKCG said:

I can't wait until people bitch about multi-disc Blu Ray games. Because it will happen eventually.

MS was (is?) resistive to a title being multi-disc on 360. Costs more and gives Sony marketing something to crow about.

StalkerUKCG said:
Blu-rays look like the current top dog for a good few years and i cant see microsoft wanting to pay money to the blu-ray consortium. Proprietary disc format would cost them a hell of a lot ( i imagine)
They'll just make bigger DVDs. Simple. Here's a look at Halo 5.

Xxh4X.jpg

MrBig

Rickenslacker said:
They'll just make bigger DVDs. Simple. Here's a look at Halo 5.

http://i.imgur.com/Xxh4X.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
They're just going to use blu-ray tech and not license it as an actual blu-ray device that can play movies. They will expand their GoD and movie rental service even if it doesn't become a complete substitute for physical media.

FyreWulff

MrBig said:
They're just going to use blu-ray tech and not license it as an actual blu-ray device that can play movies. They will expand their GoD and movie rental service even if it doesn't become a complete substitute for physical media.

Yup, I'm predicting the Nintendo Wii-U strategy here for the next Xbox, but if they're still going to go for the "entertainment hub" strategy, I'd imagine they would make it fully capable of playing BR movies.

xxjuicesxx said:
Its just those CE Purists are so annoying "DUDE I HAD THE SICKEST 3 SHOT PISTOL".

That shit is so annoying who gives a fuck that shit was trash and didn't have Live. If it did, I probably would have been better than them anyways.

So your argument is that because you didn't play it - that it must be trash?

lawl.

No seriously, I kinda agree. That thread in general hurt my eyes, I will say though that I would have loved Halo CEA to have the original MP.

kylej

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:

I love you juices.

Str8Sick with the cleanest qs blains right now

Gabotron ES said:
Press only, why would they do that? :/

:lol is that a laser disc? BEST INVENTION EVER
Gears Of War 3 had a whole VIP party with Developer presentation this year at GamesCom. Halo never got this. I wanted to say with this: Halo isn't that popular here in Europe like it is in the USA. Otherwise I don't really have information about this tour. 343i dudes are the only one who can clarify this.
Maybe I'm just mad, that Germany doesn't get any love in this tour. lol
:^)

Edit.: WTF Instinct? God Squad, did their girl-friends break up with them?

bobs99 ... said:
So your argument is that because you didn't play it - that it must be trash?

lawl.

No seriously, I kinda agree. That thread in general hurt my eyes, I will say though that I would have loved Halo CEA to have the original MP.

LoL no nothing against the original CE. Just those kids. So annoying, we get it CE was fun but adapt to the next Halo's dont be bitter towards "Halo" because you didn't like that you had to be good on Live to win.

Homeboyd

Let them bitch. It's not going to affect me or the way I enjoy any game (or anything else for that matter).

Some people just need to complain.

/Gaf

xxjuicesxx said:
LoL no nothing against the original CE. Just those kids. So annoying, we get it CE was fun but adapt to the next Halo's dont be bitter towards "Halo" because you didn't like that you had to be good on Live to win.

I agree with you to an extent, but I remember you being pretty bitter about Halo 3 and im sure as hell bitter about Reach. Sometimes it comes down to personal preference. Those guys LOVED Halo 1 and so didnt enjoy losing the Pistol etc. I LOVED Halo 2 and 3 and so I hate losing the BR and the combat dynamics of those games.

The guys that were amazing at Halo 1 would have been amazing on live if it existed, but im not sure where that comes into it. Its one thing to say that they are trash etc its another to actually look at the game mechanics they liked and see why they enjoyed those mechanics more than the ones introduced in H2. Personally I enjoyed the step up but I can see why those guys were gutted.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Hypertrooper said:
It isn't a public tour I think. Planned for Press. But I ain't sure.

That's correct. That's also why I said for folks not to get all excited when I asked if any gaffers lived nearby. Sigh.

lybertyboy said:
That's correct. That's also why I said for folks not to get all excited when I asked if any gaffers lived nearby. Sigh.

Aww. What if I pretend to be paparazzi? I can wear a long grey overcoat/ fake moustache and carry around a fake camera. Pm me if interested.

wwm0nkey said:
When is the Anniversary panel?
7:30pm New York time. Should be in 1hour and 30mins, right?

lybertyboy said:
But I can see what you are trying to do, and even the trying is awesome. We should be happy to have you. You should get a package full of candy.

lybertyboy said:
Oh really, that's pretty sad then. I was hoping to meet some 343 guys there and play some early Anniversary :(
Maybe for Halo 4, there's the Game Fest on Madrid and Game Lab on Barcelona, it would be awesome to see some 343 guys there.

feel

Not going anywhere near that CE thread, or any Halo thread of that sort on general neogaf. The opinions about Halo on Halogaf are depressing enough.

edit- and I'm guessing that since this is like the 4th time David has dodged that question after he showed concern about it a while ago when it surfaced, the shotgun bug will be there for anyone that knows the bare minimum about hdtv and uses Just Scan picture mode (aka: not the CEA testers)

ElRenoRaven

Dax01 said:

Ugh.

Yea there are a lot of stupid stpuid people. Fuck what they think. Halo 1 - Reach will always be great and there is nothing they can do to take Halo them away from us.

Letters said:
edit- and I'm guessing that since this is like the 4th time David has dodged that question after he showed concern about it a while ago when it surfaced, the shotgun bug will be there for anyone that knows the bare minimum about hdtv and uses Just Scan picture mode (aka: not the CEA testers)

Yea. I'm thinking so too. Makes me wonder what other bugs are in there that we haven't seen yet. Maybe renting first is a good idea.

FyreWulff

PsychoRaven said:
Yea there are a lot of stupid stpuid people. Fuck what they think. Halo 1 - Reach will always be great and there is nothing they can do to take Halo them away from us.

Yea. I'm thinking so too. Makes me wonder what other bugs are in there that we haven't seen yet. Maybe renting first is a good idea.

There's a pretty bad one where sometimes the gun on your back will reload itself.

I will still like to know how that one even works.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
There's a pretty bad one where sometimes the gun on your back will reload itself.

Meh anything in the original I'm ok with but if there are other bugs on top of them then that's honestly in my opinion not a good thing. Sure their minor but graphical bugs can be prettty annoying if there are several of them.

PsychoRaven said:
Meh anything in the original I'm ok with but if there are other bugs on top of them then that's honestly in my opinion not a good thing. Sure their minor but graphical bugs can be prettty annoying if there are several of them.

But maybe it was in the original. You just couldn't see it before because you were playing in 4:3.

Kujo

I hope all the copy+paste level design in CE was made to look visually different in CEA. The Library for me would be much better if every floor had a different look (or I guess if I liked fighting the Flood). It's the same for me and Forge world, yeah you'll have different encounters, but if they keep taking place in the same looking areas, I don't really enjoy it.

xxjuicesxx said:
What is with kids liking Sword Base and Uncaged in Zombies? Its like the only two maps that get picked besides Boardwalk occasionally.

I guess it's because you can stay alive the longest even if you suck. Like the bottom air vent on Sword Base or the top of the middle structure in The Cage.

MrBig

Letters said:
What bug are you referring to?

Mojo said:
I hope all the copy+paste level design in CE was made to look visually different in CEA. The Library for me would be much better if every floor had a different look (or I guess if I liked fighting the Flood). It's the same for me and Forge world, yeah you'll have different encounters, but if they keep taking place in the same looking areas, I don't really enjoy it.
They said they were doing something like this by the use of lighting.

FyreWulff

xxjuicesxx said:
What is with kids liking Sword Base and Uncaged in Zombies? Its like the only two maps that get picked besides Boardwalk occasionally.

Sword base: vent tunnels

The Cage: old version with no soft kills on the top of the middle/walls

Havok

xxjuicesxx said:
Beaten, but it's easy for humans to hole up in one spot and pick off zombies with no real threat on those maps. I'm convinced half the people in that playlist just want to inflate their k/ds.
Dax01 said:
I love the game to death (and disagree with the dull part), but its not like all of these complaints are without merit. After all, there's a reason that they had to arbitrarily draw arrows on the ground in Assault on the Control Room to tell the player which way to go. CEA will surely do this more naturally, but instances like that and maybe two spots in the Library are make certain complaints understandable.

ElRenoRaven

ncsuDuncan said:
But maybe it was in the original. You just couldn't see it before because you were playing in 4:3.

Well then it couldn't have been in the original because you never saw it. Of course they're going to have to adjust some things for the "new" widescreen mode. This was done pretty easy too in Halo PC which plays wonderfully in widescreen mind you. lol

This reminds me too. I'm starting to get antsy. I haven't had my monthly playthrough of the games since August and I'm going through withdraw.

Havok said:
Beaten, but it's easy for humans to hole up in one spot and pick off zombies with no real threat on those maps. I'm convinced half the people in that playlist just want to inflate their k/ds.

I love the game to death (and disagree with the dull part), but its not like all of these complaints are without merit. After all, there's a reason that they had to arbitrarily draw arrows on the ground in Assault on the Control Room to tell the player which way to go. CEA will surely do this more naturally, but instances like that and maybe two spots in the Library are make certain complaints understandable.

I agree. The LIbrary like all the other hated levels really get a lot of unfair hate. With the library it was a nice change of pace and really gave you a feeling of WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE? The size of it too was just amazing. In fact I wish it were easier to explore that area. I always just wondered what went on there. It sure as hell has some great hiding spots for skulls and terminals.

FyreWulff

PsychoRaven said:
Well then it couldn't have been in the original because you never saw it. Of course they're going to have to adjust some things for the "new" widescreen mode. This was done pretty easy too in Halo PC which plays wonderfully in widescreen mind you. lol

Halo PC fakes widescreen by chopping off the top and bottom of the image.

FyreWulff said:
Sword base: vent tunnels

The Cage: old version with no soft kills on the top of the middle/walls

Yea they should close that vent and add kill zones to Uncaged. Its funner when theres inevitable death but you can camp way too hard in those spots.

Darkflight, former HaloGAF poster, is now in the Halo: Anniversary Panel. I'm going to rt all his tweets, or you could just follow him.

I don't know if there is a live blog. So he is our direct source like the HBO guys back at SDCC. :)

-live editing:
Showing PoA right now.
New skulls:
"Skull called Recession: shots take two rounds not one when fired"
"Bandana Skull: Infinite Ammo"
Another video: first look: Kinect: Voice commands: Scsnning like Metroid Prime when you say: Analyse

Another video: first look: Kinect: Voice commands: Scsnning like Metroid Prime when you say: Analyse
Can say: Reload/Grenade etc - extended video on Waypoint
7 minutes for extended video on Monday it seems
Analyse mode: You can scan certain items and then look at info/models of them in the Library mode.

I think you guys wanted this, right? Waypoint integration. Damn. That sounds awesome.

Edit.: HANG'EM HIGH FOOTAGE! New version is called High Noon. Lol. Shang High noon comes in my mind. Do you get it?

ElRenoRaven

Hypertrooper said:
Darkflight, former HaloGAF poster, is now in the Halo: Anniversary Panel. I'm going to rt all his tweets, or you could just follow him.

I don't know if there is a live blog. So he is our direct source like the HBO guys back at SDCC. :)

-live editing:
Showing PoA right now.
New skulls:
"Skull called Recession: shots take two rounds not one when fired"
"Bandana Skull: Infinite Ammo"

Oh nice. Infinite ammo. I like it. Wonder if skulls will affect achievements.

Havok

Hypertrooper said:
Edit.: HANG'EM HIGH FOOTAGE! New version is called High Noon. Lol. Shang High noon comes in my mind. Do you get it?
An awful Jackie Chan movie named after a pretty bad pun?

That's also the name for the Classic playlist variant. Weird coincidence.

Top Bottom