• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Ken

PsychoRaven said:
GODDAMN IT!!! See that shit pisses me off. Oh it's nothing special we were told. That to me is pretty damn fucking cool and seems pretty special but not buy a 150 dollar hunk of shit special. I'm seriously starting to think twice about this. Shit that could be done with a fucking mic requiring a damn 150 buck addon is just bullshit.
Well, the Kinect has gotten some great additions to its library this past week, amazing titles like Kinectimals with Bears and Michael Phelps: Push the Limit, so it's not a total waste of $150.

Despite owning Gunslinger and Child of Eden, I still think the Kinect is a waste of money.

ElRenoRaven

Ken said:
Well, the Kinect has gotten some great additions to its library this past week, amazing titles like Kinectimals with Bears and Michael Phelps: Push the Limit, so it's not a total waste of $150.

The Kinect is a waste of money.

It really is. Nephew had a friend over at his house today for his Bday and they were playing the friends kinect. Needless to say I'm not impressed. The only thing that remotely looked to make good use was Dance Central but guess what. I HATE THOSE TYPES OF GAMES!!!

Then shit is locked away to it because well you can use your voice. I can do that shit with a goddamn microphone too. Why make me buy a goddamn camera for fucking voice commands? Oh I know why. So you get 150 goddamn dollars.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm a major Kinect hater. I'm okay with motion controls, but controller-less gaming is pushing it too far. I like my buttons.

I'm getting on for a few games.

There have been some good sale prices on Kinect already and I'm sure at a certain pricepoint I wouldn't mind biting to try out some games in a different way.

But as long as Kinect is impossible to work under my setup I couldn't give less of a shit about it and Microsoft's pushes for that garbage.

Ken

Rickenslacker said:
There have been some good sale prices on Kinect already and I'm sure at a certain pricepoint I wouldn't mind biting to try out some games in a different way.

But as long as Kinect is impossible to work under my setup I couldn't give less of a shit about it and Microsoft's pushes for that garbage.
I actually got my Kinect from this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422112

After playing a few Kinect games on it, I would still never go and purchase a Kinect at any price over $50.

ElRenoRaven

Ken said:
I actually got my Kinect from this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422112

After playing a few Kinect games on it, I would still never go and purchase a Kinect at full price.

Can't blame you. I really wouldn't have a problem with kinect if most of the time it's features consist of voice commands. Hell for the longest time they pimped out and still do pimp it out that oh you can talk to your 360 now. That should not be one of your biggest features when advertising your camera motion control product. That shouldn't be one of the most common uses of it either. More so when it's something that can be done without it.

GhaleonEB

lybertyboy said:
There's a 7 1/2 minute all up campaign behind the scenes video hitting Waypoint on Monday as well as a 2 minute sizzle video showing off Hang Em High/High Noon that we're sending out to media.

If that's not enough there are also two additional videos showing off updates to the Waypoint console and mobile apps.
You know what else is sizzling? My pants.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Frankie with a beard/mustache combo?

y4kSS.png

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
GUYS! GUYS GUYS GUYS! I just had my first 1v1!

I totally bombed, haha.

This guy challenged me after my AFK teammate and I beat his full team in SWAT. I narrowly beat them by one point, with 48 kills all to myself, haha.

But then he beat me 14 to 5 in our 1v1. The shit talking was worth it, though.

lybertyboy said:
There's a 7 1/2 minute all up campaign behind the scenes video hitting Waypoint on Monday as well as a 2 minute sizzle video showing off Hang Em High/High Noon that we're sending out to media.

If that's not enough there are also two additional videos showing off updates to the Waypoint console and mobile apps.
Oh my. Next week's gonna be hot.

Is the library actually locked to kinect? seriously. Seems like such a large feature having it kinect locked is a real shame. Kinect interaction like forza4's autovista would be great but controller support along side it seems all most impossible to exclude.

Pretty gutted about the whole situation, i dont really want a kinect but i suppose this is as good an excuse as ever to buy one. (it better work with xbox 720).

I sense huge griefing opportunity,

go round friends house
request he looks at keys on during the truth and reconciliation jailbreak section
yell "grenade"..
???
Profit.

orznge said:
yo like I know this is a joke post but whats even funnier is that there are literally thousands of people who post the same things in earnest

Thats not a joke post. Those kids are douchebags, and they all post they love Halo 1 and shit like " H2 was a total dissapointment"

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Blinding said:
Just saw a couple Campus Safety jerseys on the MLG live stream. :>

Also, boo at waiting until Monday for Hang Em High footage.
Yeaaaaaa there we go. That was me on the right. And yea Seven, that was me with the camera. Hahaha awesome.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ATLAS

To begin, what is ATLAS? "Advanced Technical Assault System," Halo franchise development director Frank O'Connor told GameSpot. Yes, but where is the L? "It's a real term, so we pulled an acronym out of it. So the L is the L in Technical."

As for what it does, ATLAS is a Windows Phone 7 app that will be available this holiday that offers a top-down view of any official Halo: Anniversary or Halo: Reach map (but not custom maps). The map is updated in real-time as players battle it out, which means combatants can keep tabs on their allies and where weapon drops are throughout the course of a match.

"We tried to imagine what a Spartan in the field might actually have if they had an assisted system from the future," explained CJ Saretto, lead producer for Halo Waypoint. They posited that future soldiers would have satellite imagery as well as floor plans for facilities, all annotated with notable information such as where weapon drops and vehicles could be found, what weapons players' allies are wielding, the match's score, and so on.

The maps themselves can either be viewed as satellite imagery or "what might think of as map view from Google Maps."

Of course, all of this information is only useful if players are able to actually view it--not the easiest thing to do with a controller in hand and plasma discharging all about.

"There’s a number of set-ups that we’ve imagined," Saretto said. "We’ve imagined the phone kind of sitting on the coffee table in front of you and you checking it out on occasion if you’re wondering what’s going on. We’ve also imagined a co-pilot style scenario where another person is watching what’s occurring while you’re playing and kind of giving you additional information."

"We also think about, if you’re in a firefight, you've ducked behind a corner, you’re kind of hidden, you take time to look at where your team mates are," Halo Waypoint executive producer Doug Hebenthal added. In other words, steal a glance while the Spartan's shield recharges. Saretto also noted that the app will follow a player as they move through the level, so there isn't a process of orienting oneself in the app.

The ATLAS app appears as if it will give players a leg-up over those who don't own a Windows Phone 7 device. However, O'Connor noted that the app actually has "built-in" balancing, in that every time a player glances down, they are splitting their attention away from the game, a move that always comes with hazards.

When asked whether the team had ideas as to where to take this app in the future, O'Connor replied, "Yes." Fair enough.

"Now that we’ve got all of this very interesting data coming out of the game, there’s a lot of very exciting stuff that we can think about doing with the data," Saretto added. "We just need to figure out, you know, when we’re ready to bring those kind of exciting experiences online."

WP7 Phone users get super team radar, essentially.

Havok

Slightly Live said:
ATLAS

WP7 Phone users get super team radar, essentially.
Yeah, I'm not in love with that at all. So few people have a WP7, but I guess I understand why they made it exclusive.

Edit: as long as this doesn't tell you when things respawn, it doesn't really mess with the balance of things, but exclusivity from the losing side is never really fun.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Custom challenges now confirmed to have cR payout.

Custom challenges is another new feature that 343 Industries is excited about. The feature is a riff on the daily and weekly challenges that 343 issues. It allows friends to create their own challenges for one another, such as scoring 50 headshots in a multiplayer match within 24 hours. The custom challenge option will be available in Campaign, Matchmaking Firefight, Multiplayer, and Custom modes.

More than just bragging rights, completed custom challenges yield Halo: Reach credits, at a rate that fluctates depending on the difficulty and circumstances of the task. Reach credits can then be spent on cosmetic upgrades, such as new Spartan armor.

GhaleonEB

The Library/scanning system is pretty neat. I'm retroactively surprised there are no Achievements tied to it, but it's a pretty great feature.

So there are terminals and skulls to find, and now stuff to scan and accumulate, throughout the Campaign. Decent amount of stuff to go hunt down, and more than I expected.

Slightly Live said:
Custom challenges now confirmed to have cR payout.
*giggles with delight*

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
The Library/scanning system is pretty neat. I'm retroactively surprised there are no Achievements tied to it, but it's a pretty great feature.
Yeah $150 achievements aren't worth getting.

Havok

Now I forsee people issuing challenges with the same or slightly lower parameters as the official dailies (in the same categories, like kills in matchmaking), to pump up credits without any extra work. Can't wait for details on this stuff.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
cR for custom challenges is AWESOME. The kids I babysit are gonna love that.

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
Yeah $150 achievements aren't worth getting.
Ha. I didn't even think of that. Even after reading it, I managed to black out that it's a Kinect-only feature. Why not just let us press a button to scan? We've got a d-pad on the controller....

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
Ha. I didn't even think of that. Even after reading it, I managed to black out that it's a Kinect-only feature. Why not just let us press a button to scan? We've got a d-pad on the controller....

Cause that wouldn't make them 150 bucks. That's why.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
GhaleonEB said:
Because they didn't have Kinect 10 years ago!

Trasher

GhaleonEB said:
Metroid Prime is still years ahead of the Halo franchise. =/

senador

Banned
I'm excited about the news drop and will watch the vids on my laptop in a bit.

I must also express my disappointment for the analyze/library stuff. That seems like a feature for the more hardcore fan, yet it's the more causal fans that will have Kinects (no offense Letters, you are the exception). I can't see that many casual fans scanning things in a Halo game so to me it seems that many will miss out on this feature and only a very small subset will get to enjoy it.

That bums me out. Kinect hasn't offered me one feature yet that got me excited. This one is awesome but Kinect wasn't needed for it. I'll have to YouTube 'em. :(

Trasher said:
Metroid Prime is still years ahead of the Halo franchise. =/

Yeah man, MP2 MP was so good. I also loved the lack of dual analog controls in the first 2. Halo really needs to catch up to this amazing series.

j/k <3 Metroid Prime

GhaleonEB

senador said:
I'm excited about the news drop and will watch the vids on my laptop in a bit.

I must also express my disappointment for the analyze/library stuff. That seems like a feature for the more hardcore fan, yet it's the more causal fans that will have Kinects (no offense Letters, you are the exception). I can't see that many casual fans scanning things in a Halo game so to me it seems that many will miss out on this feature and only a very small subset will get to enjoy it.

That bums me out. Kinect hasn't offered me one feature yet that got me excited. This one is awesome but Kinect wasn't needed for it. I'll have to YouTube 'em. :(
In the days before Kinect, the feature would be built and you would press a button to activate the scan. Now, you have to buy a $150 piece of hardware to activate that feature.

It's a great feature, but there's no reason on earth to wall it off to Kinect other than as a lever to try and sell some Kinects. When Microsoft said they were going to develop Kinect content for the core gamer, I did not anticipate that it would be accomplished by slicing features from the game and walling them off as Kinect-only, rather that developing interesting and compelling content that utilizes the hardware. It's a disturbing precedent.

Top Bottom