• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

PooBone

omg.kittens said:
I'm right there with you. It's fuggin dumb.
If it was something that needed the Kinect to be able to work I would understand, but this is just ridiculous. And if the goal was to sell me a Kinect for this, it failed. I will pass not bc I don't care about or want the mode, but on sheer principle. This is the first misstep 343 has made in this entire project and it's bullshit.

GhaleonEB

PooBone said:
So you have to have Kinect to use the Analyze Mode? That's fuckin stupid. Why cant you just look at something and push a button? Replacing a button push with saying a word is as bad as waggle replacing a button on the wii. *annoyed*
I'd say it's worse, because with the Wii, at least you have the controller you need to do the waggle. With the Library feature, players without Kinect are blocked from accessing the feature.

Tawpgun

Sai-kun said:
Argh, can someone link to the Superintendent ringtones again? I only just found out that you can change the ringtone for texts in iOS5...so...i need them.
I second this motion.

WP7 Mango Update finally made it a worthwhile, more complete phone.

PooBone

GhaleonEB said:
I'd say it's worse, because with the Wii, at least you have the controller you need to do the waggle. With the Library feature, players without Kinect are blocked from accessing the feature.
It is worse, but from a fundamental perspective, it is really just replacing a button. There is zero reason for this to be a Kinect feature, period. It's half-assed marketing bullshit, and what's worse is it would be awesome if you could just push up on the d-pad to do the same thing.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking about cancelling my pre-order and just buying CEA used out of protest. I won't mind waiting -- I'll be happily pre-occupied with Skyrim.

Obviously my used purchase wouldn't affect Microsoft, but I'd feel better knowing that I didn't give them money when I'm locked out of the full game.

GhaleonEB

PooBone said:
It is worse, but from a fundamental perspective, it is really just replacing a button. There is zero reason for this to be a Kinect feature, period. It's half-assed marketing bullshit, and what's worse is it would be awesome if you could just push up on the d-pad tondontge same thing.
Agree.

GhaleonEB

I'm going to toss in a movie in just a bit, and was thinking of popping some popcorn. Which made me think, I can't wait until the Library Kinect-only feature gets a thread on the gaming side. I might have to pop extra.

I'm surprised it hasn't gotten one yet.

Cue complaints like:

"Why did they add in Kinect and not the multiplayer? They could've used those resources into making the multiplayer!"

omg.kittens said:
I'm thinking about cancelling my pre-order and just buying CEA used out of protest. I won't mind waiting -- I'll be happily pre-occupied with Skyrim.

Obviously my used purchase wouldn't affect Microsoft, but I'd feel better knowing that I didn't give them money when I'm locked out of the full game.

LOL @ all these overreactions.

omg.kittens said:

Technically, you're locked out of the full Halo game if you don't have Xbox Live.

This is a less offensive version of that.

PooBone

The Real Napsta said:
How is that an overreaction?

EDIT: Thinking back about how they've been saying Kinect fumctionality is all purely optional. That is like saying Firefight is optional, which is "true" but not.

nochoppers.gif

Ghaleon should have used this in the first OT :p

FyreWulff

What I want to do know is, super radar being streamed over the network to your WP7 phone via wifi or from host -> Live -> 3G -> phone?

I'd like to know the networking impact if all 16 players in a game are using the ATLAS brought you by BradyGames(tm)

StalkerUKCG said:
Want a bet? my gears of war 3 got dispatched by game.co.uk about a week and half before it came out, royal mail didnt deliver it till release day. Your seriously telling me that was by coincidence?.

That's just earlier processing of the payment/mailing to avoid problems due to the demand, and to allow customers to resolve any issues that may occur. Fairly standard with larger retailers on big releases with many pre-orders. Your order wasn't physically shipped out until a few days before release, even if you got a tracking number and an email saying it was dispatched.

PooBone said:

They add some kinect stuff (that they said they were adding for months) and now everyone without a kinect is crying because it could have been done without kinect.

It's just a distraction, you still get the HD campaign, you still get the new maps.

EDIT: I don't have a kinect and I don't plan on getting one.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
KidA Seven said:
God Squad isn't playing like they used to. You don't go 40+-1 and then drop off like this.

I'm gonna bet next season of MLG we'll see more consistent winners if they use a ZB gametype.

PooBone said:
Because it is just a neat feature, we heard the first time yesterday. He wanted to buy the game before that on Day 1 without the Kinect feature. Now he gets something to the package for free, that isn't a real big thing...

PooBone

The Real Napsta said:
They add some kinect stuff (that they said they were adding for months) and now everyone without a kinect is crying because it could have been done without kinect.

It's just a distraction, you still get the HD campaign, you still get the new maps.
But if he feels strongly enough about it to not give his money to 343/M$, how is that an overreaction? That's like saying it's an overreaction to not buy Shadow Complex bc you believe in equal rights for gays. Rights/wrongs and the products people want to support with their money is each person's individual decision, but this is bullshit, a marketing ploy, and a dumb one at that. If someone doesnt want to support it, so be it.

Full disclosure, I'm not cancelling my preorder, but it will leave a sour taste in my mouth and tarnish what otherwise looks to be a perfect product imo.

The issue for me is that 343 are using CEA as a testing ground of sorts. How to handle visuals in a Halo game, running the playlists on MM, setting up challenges and even adding features to support Kinect. In this time they will be analysing copious amounts of data in order to determine what they should and shouldn't do.

I would much prefer a mini-game that utilised Kinect so at least that way other players could simply accept the fact that they have no means of playing that mini-game. Instead, what is going to happen, is some players will get annoyed that a feature, albeit small and insignificant, is restricted behind a wall of silly marketing ploys.

Some non-Kinect supported Analyse feature that wouldn't have been as robust would have almost sufficed.

My point is; Restrict content for Kinect that actually requires the use of Kinect.

PooBone said:

EDIT: Thinking back about how they've been saying Kinect fumctionality is all purely optional. That is like saying Firefight is optional, which is "true" but not.
Did they say it was optional?
Looking at the earliest article I could find on Joystiq (from early July) mentioned that it would be a story feature using Kinect to be unveiled in October. No mention of it being optional.

Think they emphasised it was going to be a small thing which it is.
The issue is that it being Kinect only is so abritrary. So abritary.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The Real Napsta said:
I'm pissed that I'm not able to access a feature that could have easily been included without the need for a $150 peripheral. I'm [thinking about] buying used cause I don't want to support that decision. I'm not fervently anti-Microsoft now. I understand they want to make as much profit as possible. Fair enough. But that doesn't mean I have to go along with bullshit like this.

Dax01 said:
Technically, you're locked out of the full Halo game if you don't have Xbox Live.

Haha, good point. I know XBL is an overpriced rip off, but I guess it's worth it to me. I buy my XBL subs at a discount, but yeah, you're right.

Ken

Zeouterlimits said:

The decision to make Analyze/Model Viewer Kinect-exclusive would be arbitrary if Kinect was doing well and flying off shelves.

PooBone said:
But if he feels strongly enough about it to not give his money to 343/M$, how is that an overreaction? That's like saying it's an overreaction to not buy Shadow Complex bc you believe in equal rights for gays. Rights/wrongs and the products people want to support with their money is each person's individual decision, but this is bullshit, a marketing ploy, and a dumb one at that. If someone doesnt want to support it, so be it.

Full disclosure, I'm not cancelling my preorder, but it will leave a sour taste in my mouth and tarnish what otherwise looks to be a perfect product imo.

He wanted the game before he knew of the feature. Now that an optional/insignificant feature was added for kinect users, he doesn't want to give MS money.

That's an overreaction.

omg.kittens said:
I'm pissed that I'm not able to access a feature that could have easily been included without the need for a $150 peripheral. I'm [thinking about] buying used cause I don't want to support that decision.

Buying used supports the $10 online pass movement.

PooBone

Zeouterlimits said:
Did they say it was optional?
Looking at the earliest article I could find on Joystiq (from early July) mentioned that it would be a story feature using Kinect to be unveiled in October. No mention of it being optional.

Think they emphasised it was going to be a small thing which it is.
Frankie has said it was optional in this thread... Or maybe a previous OT.

PooBone

The Real Napsta said:
He wanted the game before he knew of the feature. Now that an optional/insignificant feature was added for kinect users, he doesn't want to give MS money.

That's an overreaction.

Buying used supports the $10 online pass movement.
I'm fine with the online pass, and I disagree that him "thinking about waiting and buying it used" is an overreaction.

Ken

Zeouterlimits said:
While I see what you're saying, Kinect is doing pretty well.

Then I guess this, along with Kinect integration in ME3 and Ghost Recon, is part of their push to get Kinect into the households of "hardcore" gamers.

PooBone said:
I'm fine with the online pass, and I disagree that him "thinking about waiting and buying it used" is an overreaction.

You are okay with the online pass? WTF?

You have already made your point that you think buying a game used because they added an insignificant feature, to spite MS, that you already wanted before you knew of the feature is not an overreaction.

I'm okay with this for two reasons:

- They aren't taking any features away.

If they suddenly decided to make the Terminals (or some other already-announced feature) require Kinect, fine. Cancel your preorder. But this feature is something that was described as a Kinect bonus from day 1. You preordered this game before you ever heard about the Library.

- The impression I get is that the team responsible for this feature was independent of the CEA team.

I don't think this was taking away precious development time from other aspects of CEA. This was the Kinect Team wanting to add something to the game.

The decision for Analyze/Library wasn't:
Kinect-only vs. Kinect-optional

it was:
Kinect-only vs. No Analyze/Library at all

Just my guess though.

Ken said:
Then I guess this, along with Kinect integration in ME3 and Ghost Recon, is part of their push to get Kinect into the households of "hardcore" gamers.
When I said abritary, I meant in terms of game mechanics, not business strategy.

omg.kittens said:
I'm pissed that I'm not able to access a feature that could have easily been included without the need for a $150 peripheral. I'm [thinking about] buying used cause I don't want to support that decision. I'm not fervently anti-Microsoft now. I understand they want to make as much profit as possible. Fair enough. But that doesn't mean I have to go along with bullshit like this.

Haha, good point. I know XBL is an overpriced rip off, but I guess it's worth it to me. I buy my XBL subs at a discount, but yeah, you're right.
But you wanted to buy the game without these features last friday? You know it is still the same game.

PooBone

Ken said:
Problem is that the Kinect features in these games is fluff. And in this case, doesnt even need the hardware.

omg.kittens said:
Dude, I had the same thought process as you. At first I thought, "This is the first Halo game that I don't have full access to right out of the box." But I forgot about XBL because I've had it for so long.

Dax01 said:
Dude, I had the same thought process as you. At first I thought, "This is the first Halo game that I don't have full access to right out of the box." But I forgot about XBL because I've had it for so long.
What don't you have in CEA because of a lack of XBL?

Ken

Zeouterlimits said:
When I said abritary, I meant in terms of game mechanics, not business strategy.

Doesn't business affect what happens to game mechanics?

PooBone said:
Problem is that the Kinect features in these games is fluff. And in this case, doesnt even need the hardware.

A problem for the consumers, maybe, but if it gets a few more Kinects into households I'm sure MS will consider it a successful experiment.

senador

Banned
Dax01 said:

Kinda sorta but not really.

Every 360 can do Live out of the box. The vast majority cannot do Kinect out of the box. Live cannot be mapped to a button but the CEA Kinect features could be. Live is a different beast involving network support, content, etc. Its not really the same as the CEA Kinect feature at all.

I really wish the Kinect features would be something that relied on the Kinect hardware like some form of motion. As it stands it isn't cool by me. I'm still buying the game at launch but I'm disappointed by this feature I won't get to use.

Hydranockz said:
What don't you have in CEA because of a lack of XBL?
Huh? Well, online co-op for one. Multiplayer, certain achievements.

CEA having a walled-off feature linking Kinect is the same as having portions of multiplayer walled-off cause you don't have XBL.

Top Bottom