• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

heckfu

Banned
Yeah, I'm confused with what's going on, too. Been in New Orleans for a bachelor party weekend so I haven't been able to keep up with any Internet at all. Does the Kinect-exclusive shit really make the game unplayable or is that all hyperbole?

Ken

heckfu said:
Yeah, I'm confused with what's going on, too. Been in New Orleans for a bachelor party weekend so I haven't been able to keep up with any Internet at all. Does the Kinect-exclusive shit really make the game unplayable or is that all hyperbole?

Hyperbole, unless you were looking forward to playing Halo: CEA as Detective Chief and ogling studying models of Elites for hours.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
GhaleonEB said:
No. Way. :p

It's disappointing to see what would in any other situation be a neat feature added be held back from most users as a bullet point to upsell them more hardware. There's not any way to defend it.
You know what's a neat feature that could be available but likely won't and that could sell software? Dedicated servers. There's not any way to defend it.

It's an extra that doesn't affect you're ability to complete the game.

ElRenoRaven

heckfu said:

Has anyone said it makes it unplayble? Screw it.

Havok

Domino Theory said:
All of the Kinect-only features are aimed at the casuals (your average Kinect owner) and to teach them more about the world of Halo. Do you really care that you cannot scan your Assault Rifle to figure out what it does? You've been using the weapon for 10 years, you know exactly what it does, its function, descriptions, etc.
Hang on, do you really think that a 3D model viewer/lore library is aimed at a casual player? You know, the kind of people who just want to shoot something and don't care at all about the extended universe? That's a hell of a leap of logic. The additional universe expansion provided from those descriptions is a big deal to someone, but it sure isn't Billy who's just coming off Kinectimals. It's for hardcore fans who are way into the lore and want to expand their knowledge of this stuff. Was the Halo 3 Beastarium a huge push to get people away from Wii Sports? Of course not. This is a gate to get the super-hardcore to buy a Kinect for functionality they're being artificially blocked off from, hence people's problems with it.

I don't personally care enough to be offended about it, but the casuals argument doesn't hold water given what this feature actually is.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Hypertrooper said:
343i announced Kinect features, Kinect features are doable with the controller, people are mad 'cause it is Kinect exclusive, some people don't want to buy CEA at Day 1 or don't buy new. That's it. I think I got everything?

Haha, don't worry HP, everyone whose a semi-regular HaloGAF member will get Halo: CEA no matter what.

This just reminds me of the time when ODST was in a complete media blackout after its GI reveal. Everyone on HaloGAF was like"

"omg wtf where's odst" , "dude wtf ms why you doin' this", "damn it i'm so mad a bungie for no showing odst", "WHERE R ODST U IDIOTS"

*ODST shows up at E3 '09*

"OMG THIS IS SO COOL I LOVE YOU MS AND BUNGIE SO GOOD DAY ONE"

I'll admit I was part of this, too. I spent months during the blackout lashing out at urk over Messenger then told him I would carry his children once E3' 09 rolled around.

TheOddOne

heckfu said:
Hyperbole to the max!

Though the Kinect exclusive thing is straight up bullshit.

Domino Theory said:
"omg wtf where's odst" , "dude wtf ms why you doin' this", "damn it i'm so mad a bungie for no showing odst", "WHERE R ODST U IDIOTS"

*ODST shows up at E3 '09*

"WHY THE FUCK DOES EUROPA HAVE TO PAY 60 SUCKEURO FOR ODST?"

"BOUGHT IT, ENJOYED IT, BUT THAT PRICE WAS TOO HIGH"
Timeline fix.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hypertrooper said:
You can say "Reload" to reload your weapon, "Grenade" to throw grenades, and other stuff.
The main discussion is about the feature "Analyze". The game will change in mode, where you can choose a corpse/weapon/whatever and get information about it. (i.e. a Elite General is lying there, you say "analyze", choose the Elite General, and you will get a paragrahp with information and a 3D model) It's Kinect-only.
Lol is that it? Just watch it on youtube or on HBO when they're eventually transcribed.

feel

heckfu said:
It's just a model viewing mode made to make MS shut up about a kinect exclusive feature. People are assuming it was gonna be on the game anyways and they restricted it to kinect at last minute, and are rightfully so raging. If people hadn't been so vocal about not wanting major kinect stuff in halo games, maybe 343i would've put some effort into some kinect mode impossible to replicate with a controller and this situation could've been avoided.

Edit- it was funny seeing the crowd go wild in the panel video as the kinect stuff was being shown.. such a contrast to the halogaf reaction lmao. I think way more Halo fans have kinect than what Halogaf would like.

TheOddOne

Letters said:
It's just a model viewing mode made to make MS shut up about a kinect exclusive feature. People are assuming it was gonna be on the game anyways and they restricted it to kinect at last minute, and are rightfully so raging. If people hadn't been so vocal about not wanting major kinect stuff in halo games, maybe 343i would've put some effort into some kinect mode impossible to replicate with a controller and this situation could've been avoided.
Or they could have just done controller or Kinect.

feel

TheOddOne said:
Or they could have just done controller or Kinect.
that is not sufficient for the "better with Kinect" label. Almost sure MS requested something exclusive to reward current owners and help entice future ones. Sure this is no reason to buy a kinect, but add a bunch of other big games with similar small features and then you have people considering buying it that wouldn't have dreamed of it otherwise.

Thermite

heckfu said:

2qtami9.jpg

I don't think anyone is lamenting the loss of this particular feature to the hands of exclusive Kinect content. No, I'll rephrase that. No one cares about this 'Analyse' business.

It's a silly feature that doesn't need to be Kinect exclusive and yet it is.

Hydranockz said:
I don't think anyone is lamenting the loss of this particular feature to the hands of exclusive Kinect content. No, I'll rephrase that. No one cares about this 'Analyse' business.

mmh. Hell. Yeah let's start the discussion again.

MLG finals will start in a few. And Richie wants to go to Disneyland if he wins.

feel

Hydranockz said:

"MS wants a kinect exclusive, let's not devote too many resources to it, so let's make this little redundant feature for kinect... and then remove kinect from the equation"

TheOddOne

Letters said:
that is not sufficient for the "better with Kinect" label. Almost sure MS requested something exclusive to reward current owners and help entice future ones. Sure this is no reason to buy a kinect, but add a bunch of other big games with similar small features and then you have people considering buying it that wouldn't have dreamed of it otherwise.
I can totally see the business reason why, but looking at something like Autovista in Forza 4 it doesn't take away that its possible with controller and Kinect.

TheOddOne said:
I can totally see the business reason why, but looking at something like Autovista in Forza 4 it doesn't take away that its possible with controller and Kinect.
Or just about every other AAA title that is implementing Kinect.

Save the exclusive Kinect features for exclusive Kinect titles. For everything else? Dual support. You don't have to be a genius to see the logic in that.

TheOddOne

Hydranockz said:
Or just about every other AAA title that is implementing Kinect.

Save the exclusive Kinect features for exclusive Kinect titles. For everything else? Dual support. You don't have to be a genius to see the logic in that.
This so much.

Ken

Hydranockz said:
Save the exclusive Kinect features for exclusive Kinect titles.

Problem is Kinect exclusive titles don't seem all that popular (or good) aside from Gunstringer and maybe Dance Central.

Ken said:
Problem is Kinect exclusive titles don't seem all that popular (or good) aside from Gunstringer and maybe Dance Central.
So then you take the ME3, F4 and Ghost Recon approach :p

ie. You show them attractive uses where it accentuates gameplay without cutting people off entirely. You show them how the positive points in the hardware actually add to the immersion. Sure you could rotate the stick to choose the dialogue in ME3 or you could say the words and feel far more immersed in the game. 'Or' is the key word.

Ken

Sai-kun said:
"Maybe" dance central? Come on now :lol

I still have it sealed so I have to say maybe.

Hydranockz said:
So then you take the ME3, F4 and Ghost Recon approach :p

If choosing dialogue choices were Kinect exclusive, you wouldn't be able to progress the game in ME3 without a Kinect unless you can go full renegade and kill every character that speaks.

Unless Ghost Recon turns out to be incredible, I don't see it or Gunsmith selling as much as Halo: CEA, especially after their description of the game as being "simplified for a larger audience."

Can't speak for F4 since I don't know much about it.

feel

FRUIT NINJA BITCHES!

Hydranockz said:
Nah man. We gotta deal with it :/ We're worse than bloom/AL/P2P haters.
Unlike Reach and all the heartbreaking crap it introduced to a franchise I've adored for a decade, noone is actually supporting what is being done here by 343i/MS (some just don't mind) so I don't see a reason for you to feel hurt by others' posts. Seeing people support Reach by playing it everyday and some even going as far as defending all the new "features", now that hurts.

Letters said:
FRUIT NINJA BITCHES!

Unlike Reach and all the heartbreaking crap it introduced to a franchise I've adored for a decade, noone is actually supporting what is being done here by 343i/MS (some just don't mind) so I don't see a reason for you to feel hurt by others' posts. Seeing people support Reach by playing it everyday and some even going as far as defending all the new "features", now that hurts.
But if I complain loudly enough, it won't happen again... HaloGaf has taught me as much :p

blamite

Just catching up on all the NYCC stuff.

Kinect analyzing stuff looks awesome, and gives me a great Metroid Prime vibe. Makes me hope Halo 4 is more MP-like in level design and exploration. The fact that it's Kinect exclusive is a super shitty move, but it's not going to stop me from buying the game.

ATLAS looks interesting. I've always thought it would be cool to have a screen next to me with real-time updating stats, and the overhead map seems nice, too bad it's on phones only instead of the website. I'll probably try it out a few times, but it'll never become part of my normal gameplay.

Hang 'em High looks cool. It's hard for me to get excited about anything related to Reach's multiplayer though. I'm just feeling worn out on this game, it's just not able to hook me like past games. I find myself playing it out of habit more than because I enjoy it. Hopefully Halo 4 will be able to get me addicted again.

PNut

Banned
Blinding said:
Dynasty just won MLG Orlando 6-1 against Infamous (which makes me happy, because I'm not exactly fond of RyaNoob.)

Yeah a beat down. What does the TOH and UOR in front of their team names stand for?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, guys. Is my reasoning really that hard to understand?

CEA has a cool new feature that is needlessly and pointlessly exclusive to Kinect. Yes, it's a bonus feature, and isn't a central part of the game. But still, it could have been just as easily mapped to the D-Pad.

I think that's dumb, and I don't want to support it by giving them my $40. I don't want to reward a decision that I don't like. I still might cave and buy it Day 1, but as it stands now, I'm pissed enough to wait a few weeks and buy it used.

Edit: I'm already tired of discussing this, and probably won't post about it again.

Hey You

reggie said:
Not trying to start trouble, but does anyone really care for Reach anymore? I know this thread isn't really about Reach anymore, but with all the games already released, and ones soon to be released, will anybody be playing this after December? If you look at the population the game is dying a pretty quick death, which is suprising for a Halo game.
Yep, Halo is my main series for my multiplayer fix. I'll be playing Reach until Halo 4 (unless for some Reason I absolutely hate 4's multiplyer).

kylej

Banned
lollin at empty threats to not buy the game on day one over some stupid Kinetic bullshit. As if everyone nerdy enough to post in a Halo-specific thread on a video game forum won't buy a new Halo game the second it's available. please.

PooBone

The Real Napsta said:
No response huh?
Here's my response, a repetition of what I've already saod multiple times: I'm not canceling my preorder. So how am I "trying to punish" Microsoft? I'm voting w my wallet by saying I still want this product, but I'm not buying your shitty peripheral. Not sure why you are so confused.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
kylej said:
lollin at empty threats to not buy the game on day one over some stupid Kinetic bullshit. As if everyone nerdy enough to post in a Halo-specific thread on a video game forum won't buy a new Halo game the second it's available. please.
Day 2 Halo 4 if no dedi's for me.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Barrow Roll said:
I bet you don't even care that much, you just want to win our pussy $1 bet.
What, you want me to up the stakes Barrow Bro? What did you have in mind? I seriously do want dedi's in Halo 4.

wwm0nkey

Again guys Dedicated servers are not the end all solution, are they welcome? Yes of course but I would rather have this.

Better netcode/IPv6 support.

With the last IPv4 addresses going away this February and the adoption of IPv6 starts, P2P in games will start getting better since NAT will be gone and a direct connection to users can be made.

Also they should just focus on making the netcode better and not be lazy and rely on dedicated servers as the solution.

PooBone said:
Here's my response, a repetition of what I've already saod multiple times: I'm not canceling my preorder. So how am I "trying to punish" Microsoft? I'm voting w my wallet by saying I still want this product, but I'm not buying your shitty peripheral. Not sure why you are so confused.
You are the one who is confused, i was talking about the other guy who *gasp* is buying the game used to 'punish' Microsoft.

Like i said, overreaction.

Im getting a kinect for this..

kinda, i might aswell grab one anyway i can get a discount my gf works in game retail and its a better time than any.

Top Bottom