• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Silkscreen is kicking my ass. Also my classmates wanted me to do more conceptual (read: "deep") work in regards to being a gamer with a vag so here's my first in that series. I got the shapes down today, need to do outlines Tuesday.

Pcwec.jpg

wwm0nkey

MrBig said:
I mean really just having IPv6 support would be good enough since its going to be hitting early next year. Really can't wait for NAT to finally be dead, that will be an amazing day in online gaming history.

Devolution said:
Silkscreen is kicking my ass. Also my classmates wanted me to do more conceptual (read: "deep") work in regards to being a gamer with a vag so here's my first in that series. I got the shapes down today, need to do outlines Tuesday.

Pcwec.jpg
Nice. I like it. Looks like an xbox 360 controller, which I assume is intended.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Finished PoA on Legendary, got the 3 achievements for it. After 10 failed attempts at trying to take out the Phantoms with the Mass Driver, I looked online and saw that you can just hide until the Cruiser is exposed then take it out. That was alot easier. I'm ready for 11/15.

Hypertrooper said:
You know that he meant Game Spain.

Otherwise cool thing, it looks US only right now. But hey! Halo: CEA Vinyl Soundtrack is preorderable for weeks at Gamestop.com and Amazon.com.

Zeouterlimits and myself posted this on twitter, but not here. I think.
I was excited when this was first announced, but how am I supposed to tell if I want it? What the hell are those track names?

PooBone

The Real Napsta said:
You are the one who is confused, i was talking about the other guy who *gasp* is buying the game used to 'punish' Microsoft.

Like i said, overreaction.
pretty sure he said it "won't affect Microsoft.". Doesnt sound like he wants to punish anyone. But in this industry the only way to voice you opinion is, again, with your wallet, and i someone has a big enough issue with this decision to vote by not opening their wallet, more power to em.

Ramirez

Man, come back to like 8 pages of people arguing over the worthless Kinect feature.

Really doubt this will carry over to anything substantial in Halo 4, so why freak out?

Syracuse022 said:
I was excited when this was first announced, but how am I supposed to tell if I want it? What the hell are those track names?

It's the same music, what does the track titles matter?

Devolution said:
Cool. And yes it's a controller, I'm glad people are seeing it.
Here I was thinking you command dude's attention fro the centre of your finely constructed formation :p

Can't believe we're less than a month away until Anniversary drops! How many sleeps???

PooBone

Ramirez said:
Man, come back to like 8 pages of people arguing over the worthless Kinect feature.

Really doubt this will carry over to anything substantial in Halo 4, so why freak out?

Doesn't look worthless to me. Would like to be able to use it.

wwm0nkey

Hydranockz said:
Here I was thinking you command dude's attention fro the centre of your finely constructed formation :p

Can't believe we're less than a month away until Anniversary drops! How many sleeps???
Only 9 more days till BF3 so the wait for CEA is going to be pretty easy for me lol

Ramirez said:

Original soundtrack had 26 tracks - this one has 16 and no recognizable names. How can I tell if the ones I care about (Covenant Dance) made the cut? Seems like a pretty valid question/concern to me.

Ken

wwm0nkey said:
Only 9 more days till BF3 so the wait for CEA is going to be pretty easy for me lol

Trying to finish Dark Souls a second time on a new character, and when I'm done with that, I'll finally open my copy of Rage. Grab War in the North on November 1, and hopefully that will last me until CEA and SR3. Will probably grab Skyrim on Steam too. Hmm.

So did you ever pick up Dark Souls?

wwm0nkey

Ken said:
Trying to finish Dark Souls a second time on a new character, and when I'm done with that, I'll finally open my copy of Rage. Grab War in the North on November 1, and hopefully that will last me until CEA and SR3. Will probably grab Skyrim on Steam too. Hmm.

So did you ever pick up Dark Souls?
Nope, really thinking about picking Dark Souls and Arkham City up during the Toys R US buy 2 get 1 free deal but I dont think I will have the time.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hydranockz said:
Is that going to be the new 'Adapt'? :p
Why doesn't MS just develop Halo for the PC? So they can sell their hardware.

Why doesn't 343i make this Kinect only feature work for gamepads also? So they can sell MS' hardware.

That's what it breaks down too.

And in case anyone forgot 343i is MS' studio.

Ramirez

Hydranockz said:
Is that going to be the new 'Adapt'? :p

As much as some of you might want it to change, it's not going to. Maybe they'll let you pay some MS points to open it up without Kinect, lol. Just seems like such a dumb thing to complain about, as someone else said, there won't be a single thing in that library that anyone on this forum doesn't already know the description of...

Ramirez said:
As much as some of you might want it to change, it's not going to. Maybe they'll let you pay some MS points to open it up without Kinect, lol. Just seems like such a dumb thing to complain about, as someone else said, there won't be a single thing in that library that anyone on this forum doesn't already know the description of...
Maybe if you actually read the posts up until know you would realise no one cares about that feature.

As for the bolded, I'd have said the same about bloom too :p

Plywood said:
Why doesn't MS just develop Halo for the PC? So they can sell their hardware.

Why doesn't 343i make this Kinect only feature work for gamepads also? So they can sell MS' hardware.

That's what it breaks down too.

And in case anyone forgot 343i is MS' studio.
Except that Halo has been on PC twice now :p But that's all MS anyway so your point is a bit off.

Are you seriously suggesting this feature will sell Kinect? "So they can sell MS' hardware" seems to imply as much :lol

HaloGaf will defend anything... anything @_@ At the same time I guess it can be said they'll pick at anything too.

No one cares about the 'Analyse' feature. While Kinect features such as grenade throwing and reloading are really cool ways of integrating Kinect into the franchise, I simply can't agree with walling us off for not having a peripheral that is not needed to a) play the game and b)use the feature (because of course there could easily be a controller input).

Note how people aren't complaining about how grenades and reloads are simply adding to the mix? Can we see the difference in these actions and the one to Analyse?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hydranockz said:
Except that Halo has been on PC twice now :p But that's all MS anyway so your point is a bit off.

Are you seriously suggesting this feature will sell Kinect? "So they can sell MS' hardware" seems to imply as much :lol
Yes it's all MS, 343i is MS, that's my point. What is MS' interest? Selling hardware.

As for H1 and 2 those were port jobs, not a day 1 side by side release. H3, ODST and Reach still haven't made it to PC either.

MS wants to sell hardware. There are people that buy $1,000 monster cables, they will buy Kinect for this. I guarantee you.
Hydranockz said:
HaloGaf will defend anything... anything @_@
Like why there shouldn't be dedi's cause P2P is just fine.

Plywood said:
Yes it's all MS, 343i is MS, that's my point. What is MS' interest? Selling hardware.

As for H1 and 2 those were port jobs, not a day 1 side by side release. H3, ODST and Reach still haven't made it to PC either.

MS wants to sell hardware. There are people that buy $1,000 monster cables, they will buy Kinect for this. I guarantee you.

See, would those people buy Kinect just for this exclusive feature? Or would they more like to throw grenades and reload and stuff? I doubt it's simply because it's exclusive that these people are buying Kinect. But that's just my idea.

wwm0nkey

The Real Napsta said:
I wonder how many sales that awful beta cost them?
Honestly that beta wasnt THAT bad, only the first area was complete and utter shit.

Sales will probably suffer but if that means it doesnt get all the CoD idiots then I will be happy. Also any FPS that has a map that lets you base jump off a 1,000ft cliff instantly wins.

Kibbles

I hope it's not in Halo 4, even though since it's a Microsoft published title there is no doubt it will be. Hasn't it been said that Kinect takes like 14% processing power? I'd rather have that processing power be used elsewhere.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hydranockz said:
See, would those people buy Kinect just for this exclusive feature? Or would they more like to throw grenades and reload and stuff? I doubt it's simply because it's exclusive that these people are buying Kinect. But that's just my idea.
I was talking about all of the goofy Kinect features they added. My bad.
Kibbles said:
I hope it's not in Halo 4, even though since it's a Microsoft published title there is no doubt it will be. Hasn't it been said that Kinect takes like 14% processing power? I'd rather have that processing power be used elsewhere.
I wouldn't be surprised if Kinect ends up in H4 in some capacity.

Hydranockz said:
HaloGaf will defend anything... anything @_@ At the same time I guess it can be said they'll pick at anything too.

No one cares about the 'Analyse' feature. While Kinect features such as grenade throwing and reloading are really cool ways of integrating Kinect into the franchise, I simply can't agree with walling us off for not having a peripheral that is not needed to a) play the game and b)use the feature (because of course there could easily be a controller input).

Note how people aren't complaining about how grenades and reloads are simply adding to the mix? Can we see the difference in these actions and the one to Analyse?
You can find someone in HaloGAF willing to defend something. :p Makes things interesting!

PooBone

Ramirez said:
Hell Ramirez, why complain about anything? For that matter why say you like anything? Why come on a forum and say something looks awesome? Why even have an opinion?

The whole "don't complain unless it's something I agree with" is some bullshit I will never understand.

Hydranockz said:

Well, let's be honest. Nobody is complaining about grenades and reloads, but I'm sure no one seriously intends to use that feature regularly either. It is 100% pointless.

kylej

Banned
Plywood said:

Dedicated servers hamper International Interaction. I know I'm not the only one who loves playing with people from other continents on a P2P connection; I don't want that going away just for some "dedicated server" nonsense.

International Interaction or bust.

feel

Scan/Analyze makes sense but stuff like Grenade and Reload are pretty dumb. I'm supposed to be the Chief why am I telling myself what to do instead of just doing it?? I hope there's other unrevealed voice commands that even if equally unnecesary, make more sense, like Flashlight or Zoom.

Anyone know at what time the BTS is coming tomorrow?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
kylej said:
Dedicated servers hamper International Interaction. I know I'm not the only one who loves playing with people from other continents on a P2P connection; I don't want that going away just for some "dedicated server" nonsense.

International Interaction or bust.
Live and die for the I, I's.

I know when I'm playing I am eager to face Argentine's greatest four players from a clan of five. I can only hope Trueskill sees that I am at there level and matches me accordingly.

Ken

Letters said:
Scan/Analyze makes sense but stuff like Grenade and Reload are pretty dumb. I'm supposed to be the Chief why am I telling myself what to do instead of just doing it?? I hope there's other unrevealed voice commands that make more sense, like Flashlight or Zoom.

That's what Carter's for.

The only voice commands that make sense in a game like Halo are squad commands (drive, hold, move up, board it) or AI commands (sensor sweep?).

Armor Lock should be a Kinect exclusive voice command.

Karl2177 said:
If you can actually figure out how to get the mp3 into ringtones, I'll be super thankful. I've struggled for an hour now with no good result.

On iOS? Don't you just snip out a bit of the music, convert it to .m4a, and throw it into Ringtones in iTunes?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Plywood said:
Live and die for the I, I's.

I know when I'm playing I am eager to face Argentine's greatest four players from a clan of five. I can only hope Trueskill sees that I am at there level and matches me accordingly.

Cute that you're hating on international players. Must be great to never have to even consider other players in different parts of the world. Pretty much every non-American player has to put up with being connected to American players and American hosts yet you rarely see the contemptuous backlash of the system working out that way for them like you regularly see from American players connecting to non-Americans.

Dedicated servers won't make international populations swell in size nor will they deepen the skill pool of international players. In the end, dedicated servers would make the situation worse for players outside of America by forcing upon them smaller pools of players to be matched up with overall and a truncated pool of players from which to find Trueskill matches.

Like the guy on HBO from a country most Americans probably have never even heard of with it's handful of Gears players, with dedicated servers the dude cannot even play with anyone apart from a few locals occasionally.

But Americans would be better off for sure. So who gives a toss about those foreigners anyway?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

It was a joke, get over it.

One of my fav e-buddies is Barrow Roll who is from Canada. We don't exactly get the world's greatest connection when playing.

As for the servers remark, Mr. Big said it's possible to have both. I would even welcome the option to have servers for custom games.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Plywood said:
I would even welcome the option to have servers for custom games.

See, that wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Have the option to set up one console/player as the host/server. Would be interesting to see.

wwm0nkey

Hmmm anyone know a cheap router that supports IPv6? I am considering an upgrade since it eliminates the whole NAT issue. The only router I am seeing right now is like $300

EDIT: I am asking this because I just found out my ISP is now allowing for IPV6.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tashi0106 said:
This weekend was my first time LAN'ning Reach. All I'll say is that I need to find more LANs...lol
Did you notice any differences or was it caused you just trashed everyone?
Slightly Live said:
See, that wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Have the option to set up one console/player as the host/server. Would be interesting to see.
I'm sure a number of Gaffers would gladly host servers at a time as well.

Make it happen 343.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
wwm0nkey said:
Hmmm anyone know a cheap router that supports IPv6? I am considering an upgrade since it eliminates the whole NAT issue. The only router I am seeing right now is like $300

EDIT: I am asking this because I just found out my ISP is now allowing for IPV6.

Even if your router and ISP support IPv6, would it not still be up to the applications that you use to determine if NAT is involved or not?

Like, just having an IPv6 router and ISP won't suddenly make your Halo experience NAT free?

Slightly Live said:
Even if your router and ISP support IPv6, would it not still be up to the applications that you use to determine if NAT is involved or not?

Like, just having an IPv6 router and ISP won't suddenly make your Halo experience NAT free?

Unless I'm mistaken, people still using IPv4 would still be subject to NAT restrictions, so I don't think it will have a big impact until a large number of people are using IPv6.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Plywood said:
Did you notice any differences or was it caused you just trashed everyone?

I'm sure a number of Gaffers would gladly host servers at a time as well.

Make it happen 343.
There are certainly differences. However, I felt like I was able to adjust easily even though I went negative 20 for the event. There are larger adjustments to make when playing at an event. First off, because of the way the mixamps are set up and because of how loud it is, you can't hear the game audio. All you hear is your gun fire, grenades and your teammates and coach screaming in your ear. I couldn't even hear 2 of my teammates very well at all. It was very difficult for me to adjust and our team as well. Our setup on Countdown slayer fell to shit because of it. We lost all but one countdown slayer, even in the warmups. By far our worst gametype. Because of the sound change it was difficult for me to try to get a grip of what was happening in the game. It was so loud, so intense and so crazy that I found myself getting lost and making bad callouts at time. I need more experience with it.

On LAN I got more assists and sniper shots were much cleaner and faster. Felt great.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Steelyuhas said:
Unless I'm mistaken, people still using IPv4 would still be subject to NAT restrictions, so I don't think it will have a big impact until a large number of people are using IPv6.

Yeah that and applications have to be designed with IPv6 in mind too, no?

Early adoption in these kinds of things isn't usually the best.

wwm0nkey

Slightly Live said:
Yeah that and applications have to be designed with IPv6 in mind too, no?

Early adoption in these kinds of things isn't usually the best.
Nope IPv6 completely gets rid of NAT so I will have no NAT setting what so ever. The only thing that would be missing is the direct connection option because that has to be developed for.

Also its not early adaption, right now is the recommended time people start to upgrade.

Kuroyume

Banned
The scanning thing seems like a stupid idea. It makes sense in Prime because that's mostly a puzzle game and not a shooter. You spend most of the time in the game in empty spaces trying to figure shit out. Halo isn't like that at all.

Top Bottom