• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

TheOddOne said:
sDbbu.png

This must have been Hypertrooper.
He really should. He could have bought a new High-end gaming system... Not a cheap one. :p

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Kibbles said:
I laughed more than I probably should have. I'm finding that pic, printing it out, and taping it on all soda fountains with iced tea.

I will help you on your quest, and will put pictures of Ice Cube on the ice dispensers.

Tunavi said:
did anyone get in on those free MS points today?
I did at the end. Someone gave me a 400-point code that still worked. Bought Gun Runner's Arsenal and spent the remaining 80 on a Skyrim T-shirt for my avatar, there's no indie store here. :(

Did you guys see the Diablo 3 CE? That's a pretty nice CE and I hope Halo 4 gets something similar. Give me a Making Of-DVD, give me a 208-pages big "The Art Of Halo 4", give me the Halo 4 Soundtrack and give me a steelbook instead of a USB stick etc. Unfortunately this will never happen. :/

MrBig

op_ivy said:
having halo 4 for launch would be HUGE, but i thought halo 4 was all but confirmed for next year on 360?
It is confirmed for 2012. Halo 5 will not be a launch title either.
Its putting 343 in the same position Bungie was at with H2.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
MrBig said:
It is confirmed for 2012. Halo 5 will not be a launch title either.
Its putting 343 in the same position Bungie was at with H2.

yeah, ok. 360 will go out with a bang and "Loop" should have excellent BC to keep us playing halo 4 till 5 hits in 2015

I love not having to worry about pacing my shots, and I love not unintentionally hoping that my shots are going to hit despite the reticule being over the guy's face.

ElRenoRaven

Tunavi said:
did anyone get in on those free MS points today?

4,000 was my limit but yes. This allowed me to get Orcs Must Die 360 version, Gears of War PC version, a couple of the Pinball FX 2 tables I didn't have.

TheOddOne

PsychoRaven said:
4,000 was my limit but yes. This allowed me to get Orcs Must Die 360 version, Gears of War PC version, a couple of the Pinball FX 2 tables I didn't have.
Dammit, where was I when this was going on? I want Orcs Must Die.

Damn :(

MrBig

PsychoRaven said:
Ugh, that happened while I was in the middle of watching Aliens :(

Tawpgun

TheOddOne said:
Halo 5 as launch title? No. Its something that will come 2 years after the release of Xbox Loop. Bank on it.
Yup. They want as many Xbox's out there before they release something as huge as another Halo game.

ElRenoRaven

TheOddOne said:
Dammit, where was I when this was going on? I want Orcs Must Die.

Damn :(

You should get it. Great game. I have the Steam Version and the 360 version. They just announced that they have 2 DLCs planned. The first releases on Steam the 25th and it's a couple of new traps and some other stuff. Best part it's only like 2 and a half bucks for it. They seem to have a surprise with it because if you 5 skull it on both warmage and nightmare you only have enough skulls to upgrade all the current traps. When asked about that they were like hmmm.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Matchmaking wouldn't let me vote just now! This shit is rigged.

Oh fuck and now I'm playing Uncaged, fantastic.

Edit: I think I'm mute banned. Is there any way to tell?

ElRenoRaven

Hypertrooper said:
I bought Crysis and I wanted to buy the missing link, but I noticed that Crysis costs 1680MSP here. FU!

That would suck. Hell I think Gears of War PC was about 1600 points and that was a Retail game. Crysis was XBLA wasn't it?

Havok

PsychoRaven said:
That would suck. Hell I think Gears of War PC was about 1600 points and that was a Retail game. Crysis was XBLA wasn't it?
Games on Demand - that's how Microsoft gets away with putting full retail games up without making brick-and-mortar mad. The RE4 port was done the same way.

ElRenoRaven

Havok said:
Games on Demand - that's how Microsoft gets away with putting full retail games up without making brick-and-mortar mad. The RE4 port was done the same way.

Odd everything I saw says it's an XBLA release. Granted it's equal to a full retail game that's missing the Multiplayer but it being Crysis and all. lol

TheOddOne

PsychoRaven said:
You should get it. Great game. I have the Steam Version and the 360 version. They just announced that they have 2 DLCs planned. The first releases on Steam the 25th and it's a couple of new traps and some other stuff. Best part it's only like 2 and a half bucks for it. They seem to have a surprise with it because if you 5 skull it on both warmage and nightmare you only have enough skulls to upgrade all the current traps. When asked about that they were like hmmm.
Think I might get it for Steam. Thanks!

wwm0nkey

I know Battlefield's FrostBite2 and Halo's BLAM! engine are two very different things but I really want to see Halo 4 do what Battlefield 3 is doing in terms of HD texture packs and separate discs for MP and SP.

ElRenoRaven

TheOddOne said:
Think I might get it for Steam. Thanks!

No problem. I can't recommend it enough. It was honestly my biggest surprise gaming wise this year so far. Just the variety of traps etc are amazing. I love going back after I've unlocked a new one and playing old levels with the new traps. For the 15 bucks the game itself cost it's worth every penny.

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:
I know Battlefield's FrostBite2 and Halo's BLAM! engine are two very different things but I really want to see Halo 4 do what Battlefield 3 is doing in terms of HD texture packs and separate discs for MP and SP.
I wouldn't go with the HD pack, but I would like to see separate MP/SP discs to avoid texture compression; more audio, and more content over all. I'd also like to see better use of streaming technology used to make better and bigger areas.

Gabo's guide to make Halo Reach less annoying and more awesome.

Reach has a huge number of playlists combined with a relatively low population, there's a need to reduce its number.
As for now, it should stay as this:
Competitive:Team Slayer, The Arena, Doubles, Team Swat, Team Snipers, Multi Team, BTB and Invasion.
Community:Living Dead, Griffball, MLG and FFA Action Sack.
Cooperative:Co-op Campaign, Score Attack, Firefight Doubles and Firefight Arcade.
DLC:Premium Battle and Team Anniversary.

Changes introduced to the playlists:
-Make Team Slayer a 5v5 playlist, remove less popular Forge World maps.
-Turn The Arena into a FFA competitive hopper, add Vanilla Reach variants alongside ZB and Classic ZB objective and slayer variants while keeping Sprint and Hologram loadouts for Vanilla Reach.
-Make Multi Team a 2v2v2v2 playlist again, replace Rocket Warthog Race with regular Rocket Race.
Replace current Action Sack playlist with FFA Action Sack, add best race maps there alongside best community mini games like: Speed, Jump Rope, Crash Up Derby, Cawk Blawkin', Halo, some Juggernaut and many others.
-Add Team Anniversary playlist with slayer and objective classic variants on Anniversary remakes plus Reflection.
-Make Premium Battle Anniversary optional.

That's five playlists less, more than enough.
Regarding Matchmaking and the TU, changes applied to all playlist except Invasion.
Vanilla Reach:
-85% bloom, Armor Lock and Camo tweaks.
Invasion:
-Armor Lock and Camo tweaks.
As for other general changes evade must be removed from all playlists except Invasion, it is a cheap excuse for Reach's low movement speed and it produces sloppy combat situations.
If you want to improve map flow just increase base player speed by 10%.
Friendly fire needs to be turned off for Team Swat, Team Snipers, Living Dead and Rocket CTF, Shotty Snipers and Dino Blasters gametypes.
Turn all one sided maps into two rounds of 4-5 minutes each, this will prevent quitting.
Remove BTB Snipers and Snipers variants from all playlist except Team Snipers, this includes BTB and Premium Battle.
-Remove Paradiso, Cliffhanger and Utopie from all playlists.
-Decrease Hemmorhage's BTB weighting.
-Make Invasion Slayer Hemmorhage's base snipers spawn time to never.
-Remove Boneyard's invasion first phase DMRs.
-Remove Jetpack loadout from Team Doubles.

I'll be adding more changes regarding some map changes in the future, specially Countdown, Spire.
What do you guys think about this?

Havok

Gabotron ES said:

Reach has a huge number of playlists combined with a relatively low population, there's a need to reduce its number.
Competitive:Team Slayer, The Arena, Doubles, Team Swat, Team Snipers, Multi Team, BTB and Invasion.
Cooperative:Co-op Campaign, Score Attack, Firefight Doubles and Firefight Arcade.

-Turn The Arena into a FFA competitive hopper, add Vanilla Reach variants alongside ZB and Classic ZB objective and slayer variants while keeping Sprint and Hologram loadouts for Vanilla Reach.
-Make Multi Team a 2v2v2v2 playlist again, replace Rocket Warthog Race with regular Rocket Race.
Replace current Action Sack playlist with FFA Action Sack, add best race maps there alongside best community mini games like: Speed, Jump Rope, Crash Up Derby, Cawk Blawkin', Halo, some Juggernaut and many others.
-Add Team Anniversary playlist with slayer and objective classic variants on Anniversary remakes plus Reflection.
Where do people who want to play 4v4 objective games on good maps go (these both exclude BTB)? It's tough to get an objective game even in the beta playlist, all anybody wants to do is play ZB stuff. I suspect this trend will carry over to Anniversary playlists. Premium Battle isn't the answer, 4v4 Objective is the reason I like Halo as much as I do, and it used to be the staple of the series. And Objective isn't popular, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this is because it's been treated like dogshit and has been completely unsupported, with bullshit loadouts since day one. They dropped the ball on incentivizing people to play it, and again by putting a bunch of garbage gametypes in there.

Basically, this would finally remove all reasons I have to play Halo. Slayer is boring as fuck.

I aprove of everything except the removal of Team Objective and changetof Arena, I'd like that to stay team based. Though there would have to be one FFA playlist then to keep that in the game.

Havok said:
Where do people who want to play objective games on good maps go (this excludes BTB)? It's tough to get an objective game even in the beta playlist, all anybody wants to do is play ZB stuff. I suspect this trend will carry over to Anniversary playlists. Premium Battle isn't the answer, 4v4 Objective is the reason I like Halo as much as I do.

Basically, this would finally remove all reasons I have to play Halo. Slayer is boring as fuck.
Objective on good maps? you can hop on Team Anniversary to play some Classic CTF and Assault variants.

Arena as a competitive team oriented playlist is a joke, you can't expect much from it when you have jet packers flying around.
Turning the Arena into a FFA competitive where you can test your skills as a lone wolf will give to The Arena that ultra competitive feeling it never had.

Gabotron ES said:

Regarding Matchmaking and the TU, changes applied to all playlist except Invasion.
Vanilla Reach:
Invasion:
As for other general changes evade must be removed from all playlists except Invasion, it is a cheap excuse for Reach's low movement speed and it produces sloppy combat situations.
Friendly fire needs to be turned off for Team Swat, Team Snipers, Living Dead and Rocket CTF, Shotty Snipers and Dino Blasters gametypes.
Turn all one sided maps into two rounds of 4-5 minutes each, this will prevent quitting.
Remove BTB Snipers and Snipers variants from all playlist except Team Snipers, this includes BTB and Premium Battle.
I'll be adding more changes regarding some map changes in the future, specially Countdown, Spire.
No real TO playlist and now you're on my ignore playlist.
not really :p

Havok

Gabotron ES said:
Objective on good maps? you can hop on Team Anniversary to play some Classic CTF and Assault variants.
If it's anything like the TU beta playlist, people will vote for Slayer more often than anything. You're also limiting the number of maps by going in there pretty heavily. I'd like to keep playing Neutral Bomb on Zealot, or Anchor 9 Flag, or any of the many good gametypes that are in Objective now, even with default/85% settings. There's a reason that the Slayer/Objective split happened early in Halo 2's life - people want to play what they want to play, and it's a total waste of time if they're stuck with something they don't want. People who vote Slayer and end up in an objective game? They're going to still play Slayer, leaving the rest of their team out in the cold.

Maybe if the playlist hadn't been treated like a total afterthought during development, we wouldn't have this problem. I think it's ridiculous that we're at a point where people think it's a better idea to axe it entirely rather than fix what made Halo so great to begin with for so many people and has since been overlooked.
Gabotron ES said:
Arena as a competitive team oriented playlist is a joke, you can't expect much from it when you have jet packers flying around.
So remove jetpacks, like they should have done ages ago? Arena is still miles better than default TS at this point, and works better with most shipping Reach maps than the 5v5 playlist, which often feels crowded.

ElRenoRaven

Gabotron ES said:

Vanilla Reach:
Invasion:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO on most of that.

The big thing though is this. Slayer players don't tend to like Objective gametypes. So if you combine those together it sucks for everyone. You have to have objective playlists and slayer playlists that are separate. So Anniversary Team Slayer playlist and a Team Slayer objective playlist is a must along with probably a regular slayer anniversary playlist.

Havok said:
If it's anything like the TU beta playlist, people will vote for Slayer more often than anything. You're also limiting the number of maps by going in there pretty heavily. I'd like to keep playing Neutral Bomb on Zealot, or Anchor 9 Flag, or any of the many good gametypes that are in Objective now, even with default/85% settings. There's a reason that the Slayer/Objective split happened early in Halo 2's life - people want to play what they want to play, and it's a total waste of time if they're stuck with something they don't want.

Maybe if the playlist hadn't been treated like a total afterthought during development, we wouldn't have this problem. I think it's ridiculous that we're at a point where people think it's a better idea to axe it entirely rather than fix what made Halo so great to begin with and has since been overlooked.
So remove jetpacks, like they should have done ages ago? Arena is still miles better than default TS at this point, and works better with most shipping Reach maps than the 5v5 playlist, which often feels crowded.
That would leave us with five 4v4 competitive playlist (TS, MLG, Snipers, SWAT and The Arena, you may also add TO which often features Slayer Unlimited :lol) that in my opinion is way too much and leaves no place to variety.

Havok

Gabotron ES said:
That would leave us with five 4v4 competitive playlist (TS, MLG, Snipers, SWAT and The Arena, you may also add TO which often features Slayer Unlimited :lol) that in my opinion is way too much and leaves no place to variety.
No place for variety in what? Each of those is different enough from each other to coexist.

I don't see why Rumble Pit would be cut in the first place, it serves its niche (Yeah, it's small. But nobody wants to play FFA Arena. That's why it's gone now.). I frankly don't see why Squad Slayer exists at all, or Team Slayer, for that matter. If they wanted Arena to be a success, they should have leaned into it instead of just throwing it out there to die.

It's all well and good to cut playlists, but cut the ones that are causing the problems, not the ones that got shafted by them. Fix the playlists that serve their purpose instead of just integrating them and making one big shitty playlist instead of two kind of shitty ones.

Gabotron ES said:
Turning the Arena into a FFA competitive where you can test your skills as a lone wolf will give to The Arena that ultra competitive feeling it never had.

There was an FFA arena playlist for a few months and the population was always around 100-200 players. Not really a succes....

PsychoRaven said:
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO on most of that.

The big thing though is this. Slayer players don't tend to like Objective gametypes. So if you combine those together it sucks for everyone. You have to have objective playlists and slayer playlists that are separate.
Something like Team Slayer Anniversary and Team Battle Anniversary right? I suppose you would also like to play some Vanilla Reach objective so we would have TO back.
Now, do you really think TO won't suffer from Team Battle Anniversary's presence. Currrent TO playlist has a very low player base, splitting it's population will only make it worse.

Tha Robbertster said:
There was an FFA arena playlist for a few months and the population was always around 100-200 players. Not really a succes....
I know, I suppose most players from The old Arena formula will move to FFA Arena, the playlist might also benefit from Rumble Pit players.

Havok said:
No place for variety in what? Each of those is different enough from each other to coexist.

I don't see why Rumble Pit would be cut in the first place, it serves its niche (Yeah, it's small. But nobody wants to play FFA Arena. That's why it's gone now.). I frankly don't see why Squad Slayer exists at all, or Team Slayer, for that matter. If they wanted Arena to be a success, they should have leaned into it instead of just throwing it out there to die.
The problem was no one wanted to play The Arena, that's why they decided to kill Arena doubles and FFA and make the Arena a single playlist. As a competitive environment it was just a bad joke.

Top Bottom