• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Tunavi said:
Infection is pretty fun if you think of it like a firefight mode. Much better than firefight.
Infection, the only playlist where Sword Base is considered a good map
for humans

We should have infection themed maps like we had back in halo 3 when infection was actually fun.

TheOddOne

Hypertrooper said:
He's one of the best artist I know. I can truly say: He is 343i's Isaac Hannaford.
Agree with this 100%.

Some of the stuff posted, thats listed under "personal work", could be mistaken for Halo 4 art.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
I'm constantly in awe of the fantastic talent of our artists at 343.

It's also depressing when I realize the height of my artistic endeavors was semi-traced pictures of Ren & Stimpy I did when I was a kid.

MrBig

lybertyboy said:
I'm constantly in awe of the fantastic talent of our artists at 343.

It's also depressing when I realize the height of my artistic endeavors was semi-traced pictures of Ren & Stimpy I did when I was a kid.
I was really surprised when I saw that you guys hired sparth. He's the artist I respect most in the industry and I really love the stuff of his that was shown in the CA trailer. I hope the game can bring that sense of world exploration and scale to life.

wwm0nkey

In other news it seems like games are finally starting to use the extra space in the new 360 disc, Gears of War 3's install size is 7.95GB.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I need liquor suggestions HaloGAF.

Here's what I have so far

Patron
Kettle One
Hennessey
?????
?????

I'm leaning towards Seagrams 7 because I love 7&7. Not getting beer though. Lay it on me.

Tashi0106 said:

Patron
Kettle One
Hennessey
?????
?????

I'm leaning towards Seagrams 7 because I love 7&7. Not getting beer though. Lay it on me.

Sailor Jerry

Tashi0106 said:

Patron
Kettle One
Hennessey
?????
?????

You have got to go with the classic Jack Daniels.

heckfu

Banned
Tashi0106 said:

Patron
Kettle One
Hennessey
?????
?????

I discovered about 6 years ago that Sailor Jerry is the best rum on the planet. It's got a bit of cherry overtone to it and a solid base rum to go along.

But if you just want straight, good ol southern Bourbon, get a bottle of Maker's Mark. Smoothest bourbon besides Woodford Reserve.

Steelyuhas said:
Sailor Jerry

see! didn't see this posted before I started typing.

You having a party or something? seems excessive lol.

Get some of those flavored vodkas from Pinnacle and mixers for the girls. (I like them too lol)

Tashi0106 said:

Patron
Kettle One
Hennessey
?????
?????

JÄGERMEISTER!

Retro

Tashi0106 said:

Patron
Kettle One
Hennessey
?????
?????

Bombay Sapphire; high quality gin without breaking the bank. You'll make the (sadly) rare gin-sipper in the crowd happy. If you're not a fan and don't want to spend the money, at least buy some gin; Seagrams is acceptable and I actually have a soft spot for it, being my first booze purchase. We gin fans would rather see the cheap stuff and weather through it than be insulted by the spirit's absence.

Also, +1 for the Seagrams 7, not only is it somewhat cheap and the 7&7 a fantastic drink, but the numerical irony of the brand should not be lost on anyone in this thread.

heckfu said:
I discovered about 6 years ago that Sailor Jerry is the best rum on the planet. It's got a bit of cherry overtone to it and a solid base rum to go along.

But if you just want straight, good ol southern Bourbon, get a bottle of Maker's Mark. Smoothest bourbon besides Woodford Reserve.

see! didn't see this posted before I started typing.

Yeah Sailors is the best rum there is. Not an opinion.

Maker's Mark is a great Bourbon.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So I might have to get this Sailor's stuff huh?. Bombay would also be a good pick up.

Thanks

And yea Juices, party tomorrow.

Retro

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah Sailors is the best rum there is. Not an opinion.

Maker's Mark is a great Bourbon.

Not to derail the thread further, but didn't they end up changing the recipe of Sailor Jerry and it totally lost it's character? Or am I thinking of something else? I'm not a huge Rum drinker, but I remember being really impressed with it a few years ago after years of being subjected to crap rum.

As for Bourbon, it's a bit on the high end, but I've always been partial to 1792 myself. I don't mean this in a disparaging way, but Maker's Mark, at least for me, is the bourbon I keep for cocktails while 1792 is the stuff I keep for drinking straight.

Tashi0106 said:
Bombay would also be a good pick up.

Excellent. Always pisses me off to see people with a gin-less Bar since some people dislike it. What the host likes doesn't matter though; a good host has gin on hand. Too many drinks demand it. and god help anyone who says "just use vodka"... Vodka is for commies and college kids who want to get as drunk as possible 'without it tasting like alcohol'. That's the point, dammit.
KuGsj.gif

heckfu

Banned
Retro said:
Not to derail the thread further, but didn't they end up changing the recipe of Sailor Jerry and it totally lost it's character? Or am I thinking of something else? I'm not a huge Rum drinker, but I remember being really impressed with it a few years ago.

As for Bourbon, it's a bit on the high end, but I've always been partial to 1792 myself. I don't mean this in a disparaging way, but Maker's Mark, at least for me, is the bourbon I keep for cocktails while 1792 is the stuff I keep for drinking straight.

Oh no, I completely understand. From a price point that's the smartest. I just didn't figure he was willing to drop that much money for a bourbon.

Retro said:
Not to derail the thread further, but didn't they end up changing the recipe of Sailor Jerry and it totally lost it's character? Or am I thinking of something else? I'm not a huge Rum drinker, but I remember being really impressed with it a few years ago.

Excellent. Always pisses me off to see people with a gin-less Bar since some people dislike it. What the host likes doesn't matter though; a good host has gin on hand. Too many drinks demand it. and god help anyone who says "just use vodka"... Vodka is for commies and college kids who want to get as drunk as possible 'without it tasting like alcohol'. That's the point, dammit.
KuGsj.gif

Not that I'm aware of, I drink it all the time, and I love it. Not aware of any changes to it.

I hate gin, but its always stocked at the bar because people do like it.

Tashi0106 said:

Patron
Kettle One
Hennessey
?????
?????

Skyy or Grey Goose is much better vodka than Kettle One. Bushmills is an excellent Irish Whiskey (drink it by itself with an ice cube or two), Appleton Estate is a great rum. And Bailey's to round off your White Russian Lebowski drink. ;-)

Retro

heckfu said:
Oh no, I completely understand. From a price point that's the smartest. I just didn't figure he was willing to drop that much money for a bourbon.

Well, not only the price (which, these days, is probably the biggest factor in my purchases), but my brother and I both came to the conclusion that for some reason, Maker's Mark seems to just mix better than most other Bourbons. Completely unscientific and probably just personal preference, but that's where we stand on the matter.

Semi-on topic, last New Years, my brother and I classy-nerded it up, splitting a bottle of 1792 and playing through Halo:CE on Legendary for old time's sake. Looking forward to playing through CE:A later this year, though it won't be the same over Live.

Steelyuhas said:
Not that I'm aware of, I drink it all the time, and I love it. Not aware of any changes to it.

I hate gin, but its always stocked at the bar because people do like it.

I must be thinking of something else then, I'll have to look because this is going to drive me up the wall.

And yeah, I know Gin is definitely an acquired taste, but tradition and necessity dictates its presence at all times. You just can't have a properly stocked bar without it, you might as well not have bitters or ice, even; it's that essential.

Plus, you can't make a proper martini without it. It's the law. James Bond can eat it.

wwm0nkey said:
So yeah, how about that Halo.

Hey, at least I provided a Halo-related anecdote.

Retro said:
Good stuff. A few minor thoughts, though;

1. Instead of a zoom scope, perhaps have a 'vehicle tracker' that displays a reticule (but doesn't actually lock on) to vehicles? In that way, it's not very easy to pick off infantry with it from afar, but it can still nail vehicles easily because of the on-screen indicator.

2. Just tossing this out there, but maybe the weapon itself doesn't cause any real damage, to infantry or vehicles. Instead, it's more of an "EMP Beam". On vehicles, it causes the controls to get sloppy for the first couple of seconds (like the Focus Rifle, you have to keep the target in your beam's path) and then causes the vehicle to explode after the charge builds up.

On infantry, however, it would cause no damage (or very low damage) but could disable AAs temporarily. Like getting shot with it for a second or two drains the energy, but getting the full sustained charge locks them out for something like 4 or 5 seconds.

Because, you know, I can see using it to 'sweep' across a room to drop Active Camo or (my favorite) knock out a jetpacker's rockets in mid-air. Not terribly cheap because you'd have to have amazing accuracy to keep the beam on a quickly falling target.

Additionally, maybe it could work a bit like the Scarab's gun did on Easy/Normal back in Halo 3--instead of outright blowing up the vehicle, maybe it could EMP it and then continuous exposure to it would start throwing your vehicle everywhere/pushing your spartan back, which could potentially be used for blowing jetpackers too high to land safely or outright off the map, and it could smash smaller vehicles like ghosts/mongi into walls to blow them up. imo it'd be a pretty amazing feeling pushing a wraith/scorpion off a cliff or something.

Dax01 said:
Very cool summary. Definitely gives you a lot to think about. Humans almost immediately at the beginning of the game? Interesting.

Though I do disagree with some of their assessments. Right at around the part when one of them says, "This is when it gets exciting," they conclude that in that concept art, and the one following it – the Primordium cover – the ships are Covenant. I strongly disagree with them. They don't look Covenant at all. Who would have ships like that? The Brutes? I doubt it.

While the blue glowing lights instantly made me think Forerunner, for all we know it could just be really, really hot propulsion (the Pillar of Autumn's got glowing blue engine trails too). I'm kind of picturing "advanced" Brute technology being very similar to the alien tech seen in Battle: LA.

Retro

Zee-V70 said:
Additionally, maybe it could work a bit like the Scarab's gun did on Easy/Normal back in Halo 3--instead of outright blowing up the vehicle, maybe it could EMP it and then continuous exposure to it would start throwing your vehicle everywhere/pushing your spartan back, which could potentially be used for blowing jetpackers too high to land safely or outright off the map, and it could smash smaller vehicles like ghosts/mongi into walls to blow them up. imo it'd be a pretty amazing feeling pushing a wraith/scorpion off a cliff or something.

Holy crap, somebody actually read my post.

I think being able to push vehicles around like that, from a distance, is just too powerful though. Would be cool as hell, but cheap as hell too. I was just thinking the EMP effect would cause a vehicle to have 'sluggish' or 'muddy' controls; minor course corrections or steering changes would require you to go full-tilt on the stick, braking would take longer, etc.

Zee-V70 said:
While the blue glowing lights instantly made me think Forerunner, for all we know it could just be really, really hot propulsion (the Pillar of Autumn's got glowing blue engine trails too). I'm kind of picturing "advanced" Brute technology being very similar to the alien tech seen in Battle: LA.
It's not the Brutes. They're too violent to advance themselves that far (well, on their own). Remember Halo 3's Bestiarum. Brutes are the only species to achieve space travel then war with themselves back to sticks and stones.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
wwm0nkey said:
What happened to those custom Challenges?

They're still coming. Not sure about exact release date off the top of my head, but I believe they're coming as part of the next Waypoint web update.

Homeboyd

lybertyboy said:
They're still coming. Not sure about exact release date off the top of my head, but I believe they're coming as part of the next Waypoint web update.
Sounds like quite the challenge...

Letters said:
Whoa cool cover, what's that? (can only see tiny thumbnail from this browser for some reason)
It is a special Halo magazine published by the OXM team.

lybertyboy said:
First custom challenge: Get 40 Rejection medals in one game.

Top Bottom