• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

omg.kittens said:
Were we all represented by our avatars? That would make it even more amazingly awesome.
Sadly not, It was based on pics of the people id seen and the ones i hadnt seen where either randomly generated by my mind or i didnt see at all.

heckfu someone pretty large in my dream was just a normal dude in a green shirt.

KevinRo

343, hear ME. I've been crying out and pleading for this to be heard ever since Halo 2 and most of the issues still apply. Most of these are gameplay designs and can be fixed and changed. Remember, this is your game, your baby. Put a stamp on it for the world to see. Here are my list of demands for Halo 4 ;):

Restore the Plasma Pistol and the Plasma Rifle back to their former glory. The weapons should slow your opponents movement again like in Halo:CE. A-lot of the problems with playing iterative games in a series is that the weapon mechanics get boring and these negations end up destroying everything that made it great. Give the players a reason to actually use the Plasma Pistol(other than a charged pistol) and Plasma Rifle in close quarters combat. This should be a no brainer.

Remove the lunge. Ever since Bungie added the lunge, the melee is been fucked. No other game implements a lunge system like Halo. Some argue that that distinct fact is what makes Halo different than other shooters, that it actually helps newcomers automatically hit their opponent. I believe it does the exact opposite. It ends up being a nuisance for new time players and they become acclimated to it as a crutch to lunge rather than... shooting them... in a FirstPersonShooter.

Lets all be honest here. Every single version of Halo has had to have the melee system 'fixed' one way or the other. Why continue to fix something that is broken? Halo has gotten to the point where the melee with the sword is akin to the chainsaw in Gears of War. Keep the sword the way it used to be. No more sword cancelling. That weapon is a power weapon, and should stay a power weapon. Instead, Bungie removed features to nerf the weapon. Just like other guns. To even the playing field too much. Aggregating the player population skill to the same level makes the game less interesting. This is fact.

Bring back tele-fragging, tele-blocking, and more teleportals in general. Teleportals to me, is what made Halo fun. I know alot of game developers loathe teleoportals as it's a shortcut for lazy developers to implement design changes. I think it adds to the futuristic vibe that is Halo. Not gigantic fucking man-cannon.

Allow you to see your teamates point of view on your screen. I'm talking about a full fledged picture in picture type set-up. Something like a gadget where you can press on your d-pad and instead of having night vision, you can see your teamates point of view. Assuming that is too much bandwidth, you could instead have their view outlined in wire-frame-type presentation(like how the sniper rifle does it). If it takes up too much space, have it disable the other information on the HUD for a while, if not have an option on the d-pad to remove the HUD if it gets too cluttered. Use something futuristic 343. I implore you to think outside the box on alot of things.

More maps. Better Maps. Cleaner maps.

What the hell are up with the maps? Have you seen other developers' maps? No offense, but it blows the offerings in Halo out of the water. Current trending multiplayer maps include interactive design elements that change the flow of the map. I'm not talking about visual changes, I'm talking about major changes in gameplay flow.

Notice how Valve takes user gametypes and user defined games to another whole level? They end up buying the idea and the talent that comes out of these indie teams or fan mods. Now I'm not advocating you employ these people (hire juices btw), but I'm advocating that you build upon the trending ideas of people. We've seen how frugal franchises and their userbase can be. Being new and first to the next big thing is crucial.

What happened to Zombies in Halo? It started out as a user gametype in Halo2, but instead of building upon that Bungie decided to just use it as a Playlist offering where Forge users could make their own Zombie Maps. The problem with this lies in the fact that users know what is fun but sometimes developers have the resources to actually implement those ideas and the users do not. This is where Bungie should've taken the lead on Zombies/Wave attack games. Look at what Treyarch did with Call of Duty. They took the Zombies idea to another level. That's the kind of things you guys should be looking at to keeping Halo fresh and fun.

Also, another gameplay idea 343 should be focusing on are the exploring aspects of map design. People love exploring. Why aren't there more exploring areas in Halo? We've all seen fans explore and try to glitch out of maps. Why not build upon that and offer recon levels? I've always wanted a scenario where you have to drive out into a humongous battle where you're in the dessert to retrieve something crucial, be it some information/technology, all the while surviving sniper shots and cross-fire from both sides. Where are my freaking humongous battle scenes? Everyone loves big battle scenes, LotR comes to mind when I'm talking about this. For shame, the story of Halo is about the struggle of Human life against the Covenant and we don't even see one epic gigantic big ass battle.

- Halo Fan.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
KevinRo said:
Remove the lunge. Ever since Bungie added the lunge, the melee is been fucked. No other game implements a lunge system like Halo.

Call of Duty would like to have a word with you from a couple feet away...oh wait...he just magically glided to your location.

Havok

Mojo said:
27 people in Team Objective just before lol :(
Guess we know which playlist's gonna get the axe next go-round. Who knows, maybe Halo 4's Objective offerings won't be mostly trash. It'd be the first time in about 5 years.

Seriously, weighting and loadouts are still totally fucked. Evade and Flag Slayer: definitive Halo.

KevinRo

Judderman said:
Call of Duty would like to have a word with you from a couple feet away...oh wait...he just magically glided to your location.

Originally Posted by KevinRo:
No other game implements a lunge system like Halo.

implements a lunge system like Halo.
lunge system like Halo.
lunge system

Read what I wrote. I said lunge system. You end up killing each other way more often than not in Reach. After a while it becomes retarded and predictable to the point that I just avoid close combat. How many times have you knifed someone in Call of Duty to have them knife you at the same time and both of you die?

In an ideal KevinRo world, we would have dedicated servers where no one has a host advantage and whoever wins in a melee battle is determined by time/distance of a user and not a draw. Seriously, people hate having draws. We are a world of winners. Someone has to win no matter what. NO MATTER WHAT. No one wants to see a draw. Who the fuck wants to see a draw in Football? They want to see someone win..

Funny how I can work out which team will win the game, based purely on the apocalyptic k/d's of my 'teammates', before it's started, but the boffins who designed truskill can't.

Me> the 'geniuses' who developed trueskill.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
StalkerUKCG said:
So, im pretty ill slept till 3 today. Started to have them weird dreams you have when your not feeling well.

It was about you guys.

I was in some crazy "future" world where going on a forum is like the matrix. It was split into 3 Major hub worlds

Gaming Discussion which was like a busy city
Off Topic was some kind of mad max meets blade runner wasteland
Community was rolling hills and tranquility.

Inside each hub world where "topic" theme lands naturally halo gaf was some kind of UNSC base Louis Wu ran the whole operation, Ghaleon was second in command, the dev's like Wu's boss who came in at random to check the whole opperation.

Kyle, Tashi and juices all most ODST like symbols for the group.

I was in a "squad" with Sai,Heckfu,Fyrewulf and Devo.

Location next to us was the golf community thread(dont know if this is even real) hypertropper frequently jumped between both of these topics.

The whole dream ended with my squad getting out of HaloGAF into the space between topics and someone had screwed up the Skybox and it had stretched eye textures all over it (pretty scary stuff mang).

Then my GF phoned and i woke up.

TL:DR take medication at the slightest hint of illness

lol

What?

Sounds like an OT thread..."Have you had dreams about NeoGAF members?"

Hypertrooper said:
Prediction: Fifa 12 going to drop when CoD comes out. I'm unsure with GoW3, but I think it will drop to. Definitely I would say December Reach is back in the Top 5.

I just looked through the UU charts as long as they archived them and Fifa has been 4 or 5 every single week. It's not going anywhere.

Fyre is right though, a game could be #3, but people could be playing the living shit out of it. The userbase for the 360 is so huge now that any of those games in the top 5 are getting huge amounts of players.

It will be interesting to see the release of CEA because, we will then have CEA and Reach. If I DL the CEA maps and play them through Reach then I'll be playing Reach, but I could also play the new maps through CEA itself. I'm curious to see what the chart will look like.

Judderman said:

The COD melee attack is not a glide, it's a damn teleport.

feel

Will playing Anniversary Slayer playlist from the CEA disc count as Reach or CEA?? Would like to help sink Reach as much as possible thank you very much.

KevinRo said:

I pretty much disagree with everything here, PP and PR are fine really, they do the job they need to.

Id say increase the lunge if anything Halo 2 played the best of the series and the lunge in that is great.

Teleporters work well the way they currently are employed.

Picture in picture isnt going to happen, it would cause more problems that it would solve.

343 dont need to be massivily innovative they need to refine halo to its core componetns that work and work amazingly well and keep all them components intact. Once they have a warthog that the population love DONT SCREW with it ala bungie for example.

Infection/Zombies needs less attention that its getting now period. It should go back to weekend playlists and custom games for halo 4. Same with griffball. They cause underpopulation in other playlists for various reasons and alot of that revolve around easy challenge completion and boosting credits..

Ill write a list in a bit of what i think halo Needs

blamite

Letters said:
Will playing Anniversary Slayer playlist from the CEA disc count as Reach or CEA?? Would like to help sink Reach as much as possible thank you very much.
Probably Reach, it needs to count as playing Reach so you can get the new achievements.

StalkerUKCG said:
I pretty much disagree with everything here, PP and PR are fine really, they do the job they need to.

Id say increase the lunge if anything Halo 2 played the best of the series and the lunge in that is great.

Teleporters work well the way they currently are employed.

Picture in picture isnt going to happen, it would cause more problems that it would solve.

343 dont need to be massivily innovative they need to refine halo to its core componetns that work and work amazingly well and keep all them components intact. Once they have a warthog that the population love DONT SCREW with it ala bungie for example.

Infection/Zombies needs less attention that its getting now period. It should go back to weekend playlists and custom games for halo 4. Same with griffball. They cause underpopulation in other playlists for various reasons and alot of that revolve around easy challenge completion and boosting credits..

Ill write a list in a bit of what i think halo Needs
I'm going to disagree with your disagreements then. Halo CE was the best because each weapon was unique and was worth using for its own quirks. Movement stun was part of that. It would suck for Reach though because you don't move anywhere anyway.

And for melee, there was still range to it, but there wasn't autoaim in the form of a lunge. You actually had to aim that shit.

thezerofire said:
I'm going to disagree with your disagreements then. Halo CE was the best because each weapon was unique and was worth using for its own quirks. Movement stun was part of that. It would suck for Reach though because you don't move anywhere anyway.

And for melee, there was still range to it, but there wasn't autoaim in the form of a lunge. You actually had to aim that shit.

And it didn't take 2 melee's to kill. How I long for the days when melee was a small move in the arsenal of Halo instead of best damn weapon in the game.

Tashi0106 said:
I never said it was perfect though ;)

Bungie said it wasn't perfect either, and they still shipped it!

50284_184585271886_3740915_n.jpg

feel

blamite said:
Probably Reach, it needs to count as playing Reach so you can get the new achievements.
Ah right.. wonder if it'll go through a long load when you choose to play MP and change what you're playing to Halo Reach. That would suck. :(

And Juices would make a horrible sole playlist manager. Likes bloom, hates vehicles, never played CE campaign.. DO NOT WANT

Ramirez

FyreWulff said:
Enjoy your 3 Firefight skulls locked out because you didn't buy the Mattrick Edition of Halo 4. Just like Anniversary's pre-order only skull, they'll be rehashes of Halo 2 skulls added to sell a few more copies at launch.

What will I do without my skulls?!

For all you know the spread between CoD and Reach is a mere 10,000 U Us.

You honestly believe this Wulff?

Ramirez said:
You honestly believe this Wulff?

I'd hope not, I think he was just making the point that those don't include numbers and two games could be very close and/or a few games could be getting huge numbers, regardless of if they were #4 in the list or something.

Ramirez

Steelyuhas said:
I'd hope not, I think he was just making the point that those don't include numbers and two games could be very close and/or a few games could be getting huge numbers, regardless of if they were #4 in the list or something.

Yea, but the last time I was on Reach, there were like 60K total people on, I'm pretty sure the disparity between the top 3-4 and the rest of them is pretty large.

As for caring where a game is, it directly effects the population of the playlists, I see people saying TO has 70 people in it now? Back when I was playing nightly it hovered around 700-1000, how can anyone not see the problem there?

Ramirez said:
Yea, but the last time I was on Reach, there were like 60K total people on, I'm pretty sure the disparity between the top 3-4 and the rest of them is pretty large.

As for caring where a game is, it directly effects the population of the playlists, I see people saying TO has 70 people in it now? Back when I was playing nightly it hovered around 700-1000, how can anyone not see the problem there?

Yeah I'm sure you are right, but without the numbers, we don't get a completely accurate story.

The state of Reach MM is pretty said right now, WAY too many playlists for the number of players (or too many regardless of the number of players). And now we hear they are literally maxing out the number of playlists allowed in the game when CEA comes out.

Tashi

Ramirez said:

No but you see Reach tracks players differently. So when you said there were about 60,000 people on, it was more like 60 million. Also, Major Nelson's list was paid for by Activision, clearly.

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:
No but you see Reach tracks players differently. So when you said there were about 60,000 people on, it was more like 60 million. Also, Major Nelson's list was paid for by Activision, clearly.

Urk would be proud. :p

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Booshka said:
As a Halo fan, I feel betrayed that Call of Duty is now getting the Mountain Dew™ treatment.

Fix this shit 343

If you were a superior UK fan you could be chowing down on the Halo Anniversary Pizza right now.

TheOddOne

lybertyboy said:
If you were a superior UK fan you could be chowing down on the Halo Anniversary Pizza right now.
tumblr_lkr7w2lQg71qzcunco1_500.gif

Robert and me getting shafted again, why you no show pizza love for Holland. Fix this shit 343.

TheOddOne said:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkr7w2lQg71qzcunco1_500.gif[IMG]

Ro[b]bb[/b]ert and me getting shafted again, why you no show pizza love for Holland. Fix this shit 343.[/QUOTE]

I aprove of this.

But it disgusts me when people call me Robert. I'm revolted by [i]that[/i] name.

Ramirez said:
Urk would be proud. :p
More like:

MajorNelson.com Xbox Live Activity for the week of March 24th, 2013

1 Destiny
2 Destiny
3 Destiny
4 Destiny
5 Destiny
6 Destiny
7 Destiny
8 Destiny
9 Destiny
10 Destiny
11 Destiny
12 Destiny
13 Destiny
14 Destiny
15 Destiny
16 Destiny
17 Destiny
18 Modern Warfare 2
19 Halo 4
20 Modern Warfare 3

:p

Tashi

lybertyboy said:

Shitty fast food pizza from the UK?

Doesn't sound like we're missing much. If you guys wanna do Pizza promotions, it's NY or bust. I think everyone knows that, there's really no argument.

Tashi

Uhhh just got an email from Twitch TV, they're doing team pages now, it's in Beta.

NeoGAF page, Unite!!!

I'm about to start one up to see what it's like.

Tashi0106 said:

Doesn't sound like we're missing much. If you guys wanna do Pizza promotions, it's NY or bust. I think everyone knows that, there's really no argument.

Coming from a west coast guy, Tashi is right. If the pizza is not from NY it's not pizza.

Tashi0106 said:

What? New York? Is that where they make DiGiorno's frozen pizza or something?

FYI, PAX East Registration is up.

Trying to decide if I'll go. It's April 6th-8th this year, which is Easter weekend. I usually visit my parents that weekend but maybe I'll switch this year.

PAX East was a blast last year. I don't think I'll willingly skip any PAXes from now on, they're perfect semiannual mini-vacations.

kylej

Banned
Booshka said:
As a Halo fan, I feel betrayed that Call of Duty is now getting the Mountain Dew™ treatment.

Fix this shit 343

Does this surprise you? Halo doesn't really mean shit anymore. Halo used to be the name people brought up when you talked about console FPS games. Halo was the alpha and omega. Call of Duty is now king, and with turds like Reach it's well deserved. I can't tell you the last time any of my roommates, friends, or their friends have talked about playing Halo. Hell, I can't tell you when the last time most of HaloGAF played Halo outside of Juices, Devo, Choco and Over. The Halo brand probably has a fraction of the consumer awareness of games like Call of Duty or GTA, which is depressing, but Bungie did it to themselves.

Hopefully Halo 4 delivers. Let Bungie work on their 2 and a half hour long MMO campaign and bring Halo back, 343.

ncsuDuncan said:
FYI, PAX East Registration is up.

Trying to decide if I'll go. It's April 6th-8th this year, which is Easter weekend. I usually visit my parents that weekend but maybe I'll switch this year.

PAX East was a blast last year. I don't think I'll willingly skip any PAXes from now on, they're perfect semiannual mini-vacations.
I was thinking to go.. no to fly. I have to fly. But found no job. The trip would be nearly $800 cheapter than the Seattle trip. But hell yeah no job, no fly. Pax Prime 2013.

Tashi0106 said:
Uhhh just got an email from Twitch TV, they're doing team pages now, it's in Beta.

NeoGAF page, Unite!!!

I'm about to start one up to see what it's like.

Whats this all about? I want insies.

Booshka

kylej said:
Does this surprise you? Halo doesn't really mean shit anymore. Halo used to be the name people brought up when you talked about console FPS games. Halo was the alpha and omega. Call of Duty is now king, and with turds like Reach it's well deserved. I can't tell you the last time any of my roommates, friends, or their friends have talked about playing Halo. Hell, I can't tell you when the last time most of HaloGAF played Halo outside of Juices, Devo, Choco and Over. The Halo brand probably has a fraction of the consumer awareness of games like Call of Duty or GTA, which is depressing, but Bungie did it to themselves.

Hopefully Halo 4 delivers. Let Bungie work on their 2 and a half hour long MMO campaign and bring Halo back, 343.
Obviously I was joking, but what you say is true. Most of my local friends play CoD and sports games, and nothing else. An old friend of mine who I used to play Halo CE with all the time, stopped playing Halo after 2, and never picked the series back up, because they sucked. He started playing CoD a few years ago, and doesn't even care about any new Halo games.

Top Bottom