• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

GhaleonEB

Domino Theory said:
Shadow of my former self creeping up from time to time. :p
Ah, got it. To pivot a bit, Costco's pizza is the shizznit.

Back to Halo...I knocked off all four daily Challenges today in a game of FF Doubles, 17k payout. It was lovely.

I suggest 343 reign in the Firefight vehicle Challenges now that Limited is gone. Arcade and Doubles (most game types) don't feature nearly as many. Yesterday had one for 5 kills which can be snagged in 2-3 games, depending on the map, but any for 10 should probably be chopped down.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
GhaleonEB said:
I suggest 343 reign in the Firefight vehicle Challenges now that Limited is gone. Arcade and Doubles (most game types) don't feature nearly as many. Yesterday had one for 5 kills which can be snagged in 2-3 games, depending on the map, but any for 10 should probably be chopped down.

If only there were enough vehicles in FF to begin with. I don't think I've even reached Iron in my FF Vehicle Commendation. :(

Sai-kun

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
for real? It's rare that I hear, "large pizza" over "large pie". Like, I couldn't tell you the last time I heard it.

Good frozen pizza
Jumbo Shrimp
Crash landing
Exact estimate

edit: I'll bet Sai Kun has something to say about pizza being from Chicago. He still can't touch NY pizza but I'll bet it's great in Chicago.

Nobody here in Chicago calls it a pie. It varies by location :)

Ramirez

StalkerUKCG said:
Its not like that in MLG because the teams are well orginized, not everyone plays with randoms

Truthfull i dont mind reachs radar, i think it works fine. For me the motion sensor is core to how i play, i can play without it but i prefer to play with it.

SMH, we're done here!

StalkerUKCG said:
Whats your problem with it?
I haven't followed the whole discussion, but didn't you say that you want the gadget to be canon? So you have to be pretty upset with Reach's motion sensor, because it is much more advanced than the Halo 1-3 MS.

Hypertrooper said:
I haven't followed the whole discussion, but didn't you say that you want the gadget to be canon? So you have to be pretty upset with Reach's motion sensor, because it is much more advanced than the Halo 1-3 MS.

I was a bit taken back by it but alot of reach dosnt flow well with canon, no excuse i know but its just the way it is.

Im more concerned about what peoples fault with the motion sensor is from a gameplay perspective.

StalkerUKCG said:
I was a bit taken back by it but alot of reach dosnt flow well with canon, no excuse i know but its just the way it is.

Im more concerned about what peoples fault with the motion sensor is from a gameplay perspective.
Reach's motion tracker is broken some sort in my opinion. It shows sometimes that the enemy is on my AREA, but he isn't. (e.g. the Powerhouse area on Powerhouse). And it is just a normal MT on FW maps.

daedalius

I wonder if radar works the way it does to encourage a 'fight' with whoever you are trying to flank, rather than you just winning because you flanked them. Which would happen given equal skill, you're going to get a couple shots in before they realize you're there.

I don't think I'd mind seeing the elevation on radar removed, might be a bit too much info. Maybe people above and below you shouldn't show up at all?

Domino Theory said:
Which would be perfect. That or Halo 3's radar.

Am i honestly the only one that dosnt have a problem with the motion sensor? COD's radar is fine for COD but i dont want to see it in halo, Its not like the motion sensor is over powered. It seems people just want the ability to hide more

Havok

StalkerUKCG said:
Whats your problem with it?
It pinpoints enemy locations instead of giving a general indication. It takes all of the guesswork out of it, there's no deciding whether a person is a level above or below you, which was a pretty key skill in earlier games that required a certain level of intelligence and map knowledge (I'm playing assault, is the bomb guy more likely to go up the stairs or through the lower route?). It was dumbed down for the kids, as much as I hate everything about that sentence.

Havok said:
It pinpoints enemy locations instead of giving a general indication. It takes all of the guesswork out of it, there's no deciding whether a person is a level above or below you, which was a pretty key skill in earlier games (I'm playing assault, is the bomb guy more likely to go up the stairs or through the lower route?). It was dumbed down for the kids, as much as I hate everything about that sentence.
Its better than silent joe running around with the sword with no one being able to know he is coming at all.

Ramirez

Havok said:
It pinpoints enemy locations instead of giving a general indication. It takes all of the guesswork out of it, there's no deciding whether a person is a level above or below you, which was a pretty key skill in earlier games that required a certain level of intelligence and map knowledge (I'm playing assault, is the bomb guy more likely to go up the stairs or through the lower route?). It was dumbed down for the kids, as much as I hate everything about that sentence.

Welcome to the future of gaming, enjoy your stay.

Havok

StalkerUKCG said:
Its better than silent joe running around with the sword with no one being able to know he is coming at all.
I'm not saying that I advocate the Call of Duty radar - my earlier post to Ramirez said as much. But there's a middle ground between not giving the player any information at all and giving everybody all the information they'll ever need, removing the necessity for a previously vital skill in the process. My reply to you was specifically to illustrate that the Reach radar has significant issues that impact gamely.

I feel that middle ground is the old style of radar - it forces you to be aware of how you're moving but with a degree of ambiguity that forces snap decisions. Obviously it's not necessary in every situation, as the sort of faster paced gametypes aren't really about movement awareness. For the more cerebral kind of experiences, I think radar is pretty awesome, and anyone is free to disagree on that point.

Homeboyd

GhaleonEB said:
Ah, got it. To pivot a bit, Costco's pizza is the shizznit.

Back to Halo...I knocked off all four daily Challenges today in a game of FF Doubles, 17k payout. It was lovely.

Took me two games of Score Attack... I just can NOT get a decent game of MP FF MM. Still nice 7k and 9k games back to back.

Sup with the avatar?

Kuroyume

Banned
I find the Reach motion tracker to be very annoying. Initially I liked it because I hated the whole guesswork thing from the previous games but the more I played Reach the more I found out that the tracker is flawed. It will display enemies as being on your level even though they're not which defeats the entire point of the thing. I prefer the game without radar. It plays so much better without it. Shame they'll never release a Halo game like that.

Havok said:
I'm not saying that I advocate the Call of Duty radar - my earlier post to Ramirez said as much. But there's a middle ground between not giving the player any information at all and giving everybody all the information they'll ever need, removing the necessity for a previously vital skill in the process. My reply to you was specifically to illustrate that the Reach radar has significant issues that impact gamely.

I feel that middle ground is the old style of radar - it forces you to be aware of how you're moving but with a degree of ambiguity that forces snap decisions. Obviously it's not necessary in every situation, as the sort of faster paced gametypes aren't really about movement awareness. For the more cerebral kind of experiences, I think radar is pretty awesome, and anyone is free to disagree on that point.

Although the old (H1-H3) style radar is better than the Reach one, I think having the middle ground makes a point for showing up when you shoot on the radar. No radar at all is understandably pretty hardcore for some players, but I feel that the full radar gives a lot of information, and makes flanking more difficult than it should be. Showing up when you shoot would be a good middle ground in my opinion. People shoot a lot in Halo, you'd be showing up on the radar pretty often.

Havok

Steelyuhas said:
Although the old (H1-H3) style radar is better than the Reach one, I think having the middle ground makes a point for showing up when you shoot on the radar. No radar at all is understandably pretty hardcore for some players, but I feel that the full radar gives a lot of information, and makes flanking more difficult than it should be. Showing up when you shoot would be a good middle ground in my opinion. People shoot a lot in Halo, you'd be showing up on the radar pretty often.
My concern with that is that flag and bomb guys would never show up on the radar as they don't have weapons to fire, which removes any of the stealth element that I love so much about the asymmetric objective gametypes. If an exception could be added for them, I don't know that I'd have much of a problem with a different radar style. And like I said before, gametype-restricted radar styles would go a long way towards fixing the problem. I don't particularly care how the radar functions in Slayer.

Striker

For Slayer: no radar
For Objective: radar

There most definitely is more of a stealth and strategic gameplan for modes like 1-flag, Neutral Bomb, etc. Radar, along with proximity chat, made Halo 2's Team Skirmish, and BTB, a blast to play because of it. I also don't think Party Chat has helped games like Halo any, although if the voice codec was anything decent, I wouldn't mind using it more.

Havok said:
My concern with that is that flag and bomb guys would never show up on the radar as they don't have weapons to fire, which removes any of the stealth element that I love so much about the asymmetric objective gametypes. If an exception could be added for them, I don't know that I'd have much of a problem with a different radar style. And like I said before, gametype-restricted radar styles would go a long way. I don't particularly care how the radar functions in Slayer.

Special rule for objective carriers could work.

thezerofire said:
Let's take another hint from Gears and implement no radar + enemy spotting! best of both worlds!
After playing Battlefield, I'm always trying to spot people in other games lol.

Steelyuhas said:
After playing Battlefield, I'm always trying to spot people in other games lol. Spotting is awesome, and it's actually in Invasion (it's automatic).
doesn't it only show up when someone is spawning on you? That's a shitty system imo

thezerofire said:
doesn't it only show up when someone is spawning on you? That's a shitty system imo

Actually your right, that is it.

Yeah I wasn't saying that it was good in Invasion, just that it was in there, but its actually spawning, which is odd.

Kuroyume

Banned
Striker said:

There most definitely is more of a stealth and strategic gameplan for modes like 1-flag, Neutral Bomb, etc. Radar, along with proximity chat, made Halo 2's Team Skirmish, and BTB, a blast to play because of it. I also don't think Party Chat has helped games like Halo any, although if the voice codec was anything decent, I wouldn't mind using it more.

That seems like a good compromise. I guess I sometimes forget when radar was fun. Those moments where you would see a blip on your radar for a second on a game of Assualt on Waterworks really added to the tension. You would check every entrance to see where someone was coming... Even if the entrances were blocked. On the other hand you have those annoying Slayer games on Isolation or Construct where it was maddening to see someone on your radar but they could have been at several places and not actually near you. You would spend a second looking around and it would leave you vulnerable while you looked and someone would spawn like a foot away and get a jump on you.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Striker said:
I like this set up. I also want to add that I'd love a spotting system like others have said. Can't begin to tell you how many times I clicked the left stick when looking at someone in Reach after playing the Gears 3 Beta.

Steelyuhas said:
Actually your right, that is it.

Yeah I wasn't saying that it was good in Invasion, just that it was in there, but its actually spawning, which is odd.
yeah. It's the same way in Bro Slayer. It's pretty stupid. You can't spawn on a person while they're fighting, but if you try you'll show the entire other team where they are.

Ken

Tashi0106 said:
Explain to me this spotting system that's in Gears 3

Aim at an enemy, click left/right stick (don't remember which), and a colored circle will appear over their head for a few seconds that everyone on your team can see (even through walls).

Tashi0106 said:
Explain to me this spotting system that's in Gears 3
push LS while aiming at the enemy and a waypoint will appear above his head
they should put it in halo4 I think
edit. beaten :p
edit. btw you can tag only one enemy at a time in gow. battlefield allows you to tag multiple.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ok that sounds pretty fucking cool. Does the enemy know he's been "spotted"? That could be a pretty cool way of using a guy as a distraction. Can the spotted enemy do something to get rid of the waypoint on his head?

Ken

Tashi0106 said:
Ok that sounds pretty fucking cool. Does the enemy know he's been "spotted"? That could be a pretty cool way of using a guy as a distraction. Can the spotted enemy do something to get rid of the waypoint on his head?

Enemies aren't told if they are spotted so they have no idea. Spotter character does yell out "spotted" or something like that which the enemy can hear I think, but it doesn't tell them who was spotted.

Tashi0106 said:
No, you don't know if you've been spotted or not. It's really really useful and all games need to do it now

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Tashi0106 said:

No no and no. It would suck for Halo, it persists for like 5 seconds and you can see it through stuff.

cory021

Neo Member
Did 343 say anything about updating the AR? I'm watching the Hang 'em High video and the only times he uses the AR is when the person was already damaged, or when someone else finishes takes the kill.

It looks like it's stronger, but it's hard to tell for certain.

Havok

Tashi0106 said:
No, and that's what I don't like about spot systems in Halo. The player should always be in control of his non-direct LOS visibility by the enemy, whether it be crouching or not firing. Getting tagged and having that waypoint go behind walls would be a nuisance.

GhaleonEB

Homeboyd said:
Took me two games of Score Attack... I just can NOT get a decent game of MP FF MM. Still nice 7k and 9k games back to back.

Sup with the avatar?
Dovahkiin!

Soffish got Skyrim'ed. (That...didn't come across like I thought it would.)

LAUGHTREY said:
No no and no. It would suck for Halo, it persists for like 5 seconds and you can see it through stuff.
So have it last for less time. It would be great for halo. It rewards you for being sneaky and flanking and for paying attention to the other team, and punishes you for playing badly.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
thezerofire said:
No, you don't know if you've been spotted or not. It's really really useful and all games need to do it now
That sounds really rad. I'd be into making it an option in Halo 4.

As far as radar goes, I want to go back to old Halo radar. Showing elevation like on Reach's radar is just too much.

Id be perfectly fine with a COD style radar aslong as once you spot someone they are on that radar for the duriation they are spotted for and also a little marker above the persons head.

Click to make bigger

cory021

Neo Member
StalkerUKCG said:
Id be perfectly fine with a COD style radar aslong as once you spot someone they are on that radar for the duriation they are spotted for and also a little marker above the persons head.

Click to make bigger
I like it. You keep even put details like flags, hills, objectives, and even weapon spawns.

Although it'd have to stay as a circle; the square looks out of place.

I'm not sure about the Gears spotting system; What button would we use for it? Gears uses the left stick but that's already crouching in Halo. If the controlles for Halo 4 stay the same (And I don't think it will change), the spot button would be somewhere on the D-pad which I wouldn't like because you'd have to take your fingers off the sticks and thus stop a way of moving

If 343 would find a way to add it without me having to use the D-pad, I'd be in but I think it could be problametic.

Ken

Tha Robbertster said:
I'm not sure about the Gears spotting system; What button would we use for it? Gears uses the left stick but that's already crouching in Halo. If the controlles for Halo 4 stay the same (And I don't think it will change), the spot button would be somewhere on the D-pad which I wouldn't like because you'd have to take your fingers off the sticks and thus stop a way of moving

If 343 would find a way to add it without me having to use the D-pad, I'd be in but I think it could be problametic.

Right bumper.

Don't really want to see armor abilities return in H4.

Top Bottom