• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Review Thread

2q038ub.jpg

Reviews:

1UP A+

GamePro 5 out 5 Stars

Joystiq 5 out 5 Stars

G4 5 out 5 Stars

GameSpy 5 out 5 Stars

Gaurdian UK 5 out 5 Stars

IGN UK 10

OXM UK 10

Telegraph 10

Game Revolution 10

Game Reactor Sweden 10

Game Reactor Denmark 10

Planet Xbox 10

Destructoid 10

IGN 9.5

GameSpot 9.5

OXM 9.5

GameInformer 9.5

Machinima 9.5

360 Achievements 9.4

Gametrailers 9.3

CVG 9.2

Eurogamer 9

Video Gamer 9

Gamezone 8.5

GamesRadar 8

GiantBomb 4 out 5 Stars

Kotaku: Thumbs Up

Shack News: Very Positive

Arstechnica: Buy

Just For You MetaCritic:

Kotaku said:
Halo: Reach is unquestionably the best of the Halo games, and that's not a small thing to say. But Bungie doesn't just match the best of every Halo game that came before it, they've improved it, streamlined it, perfected it. Gone are sections of tedium and vacuous game design, gone too is the almost cartoon look of the earlier games and the narrow vision of the places in which they took place. In many ways, Halo: Reach feels like a coming of age title, but not for the characters or the world or the universe Bungie created, but for the studio itself.
Eurogamer said:
I called it a monument at the start, and that's just it. Reach is an encore, a victory lap, a crowd-pleasing last hurrah for a series that most definitely won't end here, but will just as definitely never be the same again. Halo deserves another game this good, and Reach is a deserving tribute.
Destructoid said:
Halo: Reach is everything a Halo fan has ever dreamed for. All that was lacking from previous Halo games is here and then some. This is Bungie's love letter to their fans and they've definitely gone out with a bang.
IGN said:
It's a fitting end to Bungie's involvement with the franchise, one that both references the past and injects new life into a tried and true formula. Newcomers and Halo fans alike will find plenty to love in Halo: Reach. Even if you've grown tired of the Halo formula through the years, I'd still recommend this game to you. It's just that good.
IGN UK said:
Nine years in and on its fifth and final pass Bungie has created the definitive Halo experience, in which refinement is matched by the gentle revolutions of its new features. Armor abilities lend spark to a campaign that already boasts some of the series' finest level design and most stirring set-pieces, and they help enliven a multiplayer set that's beyond generous. It's a parting gift from Bungie that should keep players entertained through to the next generation; and if any other console shooter can better it in that time it'll be one hell of a feat.
Shack News said:
Looking at everything provided by Bungie and the potential for user-generated content, Reach is the biggest shooter to ever hit a console. More importantly, the game is just downright fun from start to finish, especially if you're going to be playing online. It is a true work of love from the folks at Bungie and has been constructed to be playable for many years; a fine send off as Bungie transitions to its first new IP in a decade. It is a prequel and doesn't have Master Chief, but this truly is Halo 4. Get this game.
Game Reactor said:
A beautiful magnum opus. A modern shooter with polish and a sense of detail that makes Halo: Reach the new reference title for first person shooters. An engaging single player experience and a brilliant multiplayer game. One of the best shooters ever.
GamePro said:
An epic story, incredible pacing, and a spot-on mix of old and new elements make Reach’s campaign Halo’s best yet. Oh, and when you’ve finished the story mode, plan on spending a large chunk of your life in the massive online universe. Any way you cut it, Halo: Reach is a fantastic swan song for Bungie, and it leaves behind a Spartan-sized set of boots for 343 Industries to fill.
Editor's Note: I will be updating the OP as more become available.

shinnn

Games Radar US 8/10

+ Multiplayer is better than ever
+ Armor abilities a bold departure from the Halo formula
+ Headhunter and Invasion modes are instant classics

You'll hate

- Campaign is more ODST 2 than Halo 4
- Armor abilities not put to much use in single player
- Story assumes you know every detail of the Halo universe

"Campaign is more ODST 2 than Halo 4"? wtf.

Blu_LED said:
Didn't Halo 3 also get crazy high review scores? Yeah.....
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Not saying it won't be a good game and exactly what halo fans want, but is it shocking to anyone that this will get 9+ from every single game outlet?

shinnn said:
Games Radar US 8/10

You'll hate

I love how people get paid to say stuff like that.

TheUsual

Gold Member
shinnn said:
Games Radar US 8/10

You'll hate

I guess I'm one of the few who loved ODST's campaign.

Alucrid

Banned
shinnn said:
Games Radar US 8/10

You'll hate

D:

The only reason I play Halo is for the story.

I'll take these with a grain of salt. I remember all the reviews saying that ODST was good and making up reasons why that crap was worth 60$. I played it down the hall the day after it came out and knew instantly I wasn't going to buy it. But I have the Reach console and Legendary edition already paid for, so I'm trusting that Bungie on this one.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
elrechazao said:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Not saying it won't be a good game and exactly what halo fans want, but is it shocking to anyone that this will get 9+ from every single game outlet?

Good games get good scores? Or are you implying something else?

Redbeard

Banned
shinnn said:
Games Radar US 8/10

You'll hate

I have an inkling that this review is pretty on the mark. The campaign from what I've seen looks to be rather unimpressive and not a huge departure or upgrade from the typical Halo fare, but the multiplayer is indeed excellent. That's how it's been for most Halo games. Magic from Halo 1 single player hasn't been recaptured because its become too formulaic by now.

Hopefully the new devs that take over the Halo franchise will shake things up significantly.

Blueblur1

Annihilator said:
Everyone splooging over new halo? That's never happened before. I'm really blown away here.
elrechazao said:
Perfect. And on the first page, too!

scarjo_popcorn.gif

Smokey

Redbeard said:
I have an inkling that this review is pretty on the mark. The campaign from what I've seen looks to be rather unimpressive and not a huge departure or upgrade from the typical Halo fare, but the multiplayer is indeed excellent. That's how it's been for most Halo games. Magic from Halo 1 single player hasn't been recaptured because its become too formulaic by now.

Hopefully the new devs that take over the Halo franchise will shake things up significantly.

wat

Kimosabae

Banned
Skimming through some of these, it's hard to even tell they're reviewing a new Halo game. The critiques look like carbon copies of journalist's evaluations since the first sequel. Guess it'll be interesting to see if it's the writers, or Bungie phoning it in.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
rhino4evr said:
Ive never played Halo 1-3..rented ODST and hated it...so what do you think Gaf?
You should go play the Halo: Combat Evolved.

Prine

Banned
Blu_LED said:
Didn't Halo 3 also get crazy high review scores? Yeah.....

Just like the top tier games of this gen like Mario Galaxy 2, BioShock, RDR, ME 2 etc

Great games get great reviews

bleahy

Neo Member
Redbeard said:

It's more Halo 4 than ODST 2 ;)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
In a way, I didn't even need to see any reviews for this game. It's obvious that it was destined for high scores across the board.
Bungie are one of the few devs that you can always count on making quality products, I look forward to playing this.

Redbeard

Banned
AwesomeSyrup said:
He's trying to say he's never seen any campaign footage.

I've watched a lot of footage and just checked out the 1up and GameTrailers video reviews. Granted, the only Halo title's single player that I've ever been a huge fan of is Halo 1. I think they went in the wrong direction by making Halo less about mystery, intrigue, and isolation and more about DUDEBRO....the script and cutscenes in Reach look pretty poor for 2010.

That being said, I'm there day 1 for Reach because Halo's multiplayer still has that magical touch to it and is completely unique to other experiences out there.

antonz

Did we really need another thread? The game already has an official thread. Other games manage to list their reviews in the OP of their Threads pretty well.
Square Triangle said:
We should have a new thread created for the first level, the second and so on. Maybe even the credits too.
While we are at it every single name in the credits needs its own thread

Prine

Banned
Redbeard said:
I've watched a lot of footage and just checked out the 1up and GameTrailers video reviews. Granted, the only Halo title's single player that I've ever been a huge fan of is Halo 1. I think they went in the wrong direction by making Halo less about mystery, intrigue, and isolation and more about DUDEBRO....the script and cutscenes in Reach look pretty poor for 2010.

That being said, I'm there day 1 for Reach because Halo's multiplayer still has that magical touch to it and is completely unique to other experiences out there.

Are you making a judgement on the game based on observation or actual experience?

Dani said:
Good games get good scores? Or are you implying something else?
No, I was actually trying to say that there are certain "event" games, that receive near universal scores as a fait accompli. There is a herd mentality in gaming reviews of this class of game. I didn't say it was a bad game, just that the industry seems to abide no criticism of certain games.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Square Triangle said:
We should have a new thread created for the first level, the second and so on. Maybe even the credits too.

Aw, someones a little gwumpy tonight.
It's a new fucking Halo. One of the biggest franchises right now, what do you expect? I'd rather not dig through the massive OT for these reviews.

Meh, it was always going to get scores like this even if it sucked. I'm sure it doesn't but these review scores aren't exactly an indication either way. They don't affect my hype (which is pretty damn high atm), either positively or negatively, one bit.

Top Bottom