• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Review Thread

Adding more reviews. :D

GameReactor Sweden 10

http://www.gamereactor.se/recensioner/24192/Halo:+Reach/

"Halo: Reach is the final and definitive Halo game with more content and entertainment than any Halo fan ever could ask for."

GameReactor Denmark 10

http://www.gamereactor.dk/anmeldelser/80001/Halo:+Reach/?sid=892c5883f9b6f09c632f0ddd764a4dd4

"A beautiful magnum opus. A modern shooter with polish and a sense of detail that makes Halo: Reach the new reference title for first person shooters. An engaging single player experience and a brilliant multiplayer game. One of the best shooters ever."

OXM UK 10

http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=22214

derFeef

soldat7 said:
Where's the Gamespot review? Do they still sit on their reviews for big games to try and get more limelight?
Gamespot - or how we wait for other reviews to decide on the score.

soldat7

Cynar said:
You finished your review before you even finished playing through the campaign? You've even had the game less than 48 hours. :lol I guess what can you expect, almost all video game "journalists" are guilty of this.

Good grief.

big ander

Alienshogun said:
:lol

You're one of the reasons video game journalism is terrible.

Do you freelance for IGN by chance?
C'mon now, he fixed it an apologized, and as a video game journalist you play a lot of games. He's not focused on Halo, so he mixed something up. The man's just trying to do his job.

wizword

Banned
derFeef said:
Gamespot - or how we wait for other reviews to decide on the score.
gamespot has been rather on the obsequious side in terms of fanfare recently. They usually are the last ones to review these games and wait to see where it lands on metacritic

Gui_PT

Alienshogun said:
:lol

You're one of the reasons video game journalism is terrible.

Do you freelance for IGN by chance?

That's a little harsh, man.

It was one mistake that he promptly fixed and apologized for.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gui_PT said:
That's a little harsh, man.

It was one mistake that he promptly fixed and apologized for.

The truth is the truth, it's the exact crap that is far too common in video game journalism.

If he was a real journalist writing real articles he would be in serious trouble. Knowing what you are talking about, researching, and fact checking are important for a journalist.

Video game journalism needs to grow the hell up if it ever wants to be taken seriously, and people like him who are too lazy to fact check, are the people dragging it down.

big ander said:
C'mon now, he fixed it an apologized, and as a video game journalist you play a lot of games. He's not focused on Halo, so he mixed something up. The man's just trying to do his job.

Yet as a journalist it's also his responsibility to ensure that what he is putting in print is true.
As it stands now this "professional writer" just got corrected by a video game forum.

Flynn

Alienshogun said:
The truth is the truth, it's the exact crap that is far too common in video game journalism.

If he was a real journalist writing real articles he would be in serious trouble. Knowing what you are talking about, researching, and fact checking are important for a journalist.

Video game journalism needs to grow the hell up if it ever wants to be taken seriously, and people like him who are too lazy to fact check, are the people dragging it down.

Yet as a journalist it's also his responsibility to ensure that what he is putting in print is true.
As it stands now this "professional writer" just got corrected by a video game forum.

Sorry, man. I was more focused on the big picture of the game and let that detail go in wrong. To be honest all three games are starting to blur together for me.

Frankly, I'm glad I'm not a real journalist. I'm more interested in criticism -- playing games and sharing the reasons I think they're relevant, interesting or fun. Still, that doesn't dismiss me from having to get shit right.

I have to say though, I'm pretty tired of every tiny mistake being cited as reasons that games journalism is bad. I think I'm a damn good writer with interesting things to say about games. I'm assuming that's why people keep hiring me.

Anyway, I'm sorry you got so angry around my review. I hope you never find yourself in a similar situation in your work.

LCfiner

Alienshogun said:

Bullshit. "Real" journalists make small errors similar to this all the time. Errors that are corrected every day in newspapers. No one is fired over it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
LCfiner said:
Bullshit. "Real" journalists make small errors similar to this all the time. Errors that are corrected every day in newspapers. No one is fired over it.

You don't think that journalist gets reprimanded? You don't think if it happens too often they don't get shit canned?

This isn't a small error. It's a factual error in the comparison of two games stating that a mechanic exists in both, that doesn't.

Not only does it make him look bad, but it makes his publisher/editor look bad.

It makes it look like he has no idea what the hell he is talking about and lends him zero credibility.

It's this exact reason that I no longer go to IGN for reviews anymore. Nearly every review/preview from them has these errors, yet nothing ever happens to the "journalists." One of the biggest offenders is Hilary, and he's the god damn EIC.

The simple fact is that video game journalism gets away with it because it isn't taken seriously and it's because of crap like this it won't ever be taken seriously.

Jex

Alienshogun said:
It makes it look like he has no idea what the hell he is talking about and lends him zero credibility.
What? When I read through the magazines that I'm subscribed they generally mention "corrections" in a small selection. They generally mention them every damn week.

I think you're going overboard a little.

LCfiner

Alienshogun said:
You don't think that journalist gets reprimanded? You don't think if it happens too often they don't get shit canned?

This isn't a small error. It's a factual error in the comparison of two games stating that a mechanic exists in both, that doesn't.

Not only does it make him look bad, but it makes his publisher/editor look bad.

Reading your posts, I expect them to end with:

"Sincerely, these nuts."

/idle thumbs

You sound a little crazy, getting so worked up about a minor detail like armor customization. A detail that the author fixed promptly and apologized for.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Jexhius said:
What? When I read through the magazines that I'm subscribed they generally mention "corrections" in a small selection. They generally mention them every damn week.

I think you're going overboard a little.

Perhaps it's time to find a new magazine?

matmanx1

Hmm, almost universal acclaim for the multi-player (which I expected) but less praise for the single player which is somewhat of a let down to me. I play Halo for the story (and because Master Chief was a great character) and don't care much about the multi-player. I wonder if Reach is going to be worth $60 for me or If I wouldn't be better served to just pick it up on the cheap sometime later.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
LCfiner said:
Reading your posts, I expect them to end with:

"Sincerely, these nuts."

/idle thumbs

You sound a little crazy, getting so worked up about a minor detail like armor customization. A detail that the author fixed promptly and apologized for.

It isn't the armor customization, it's the laziness on the journalists part in not fact checking. It infuriates me because it happens all the time. It could be this guy's first time messing up, but somehow I doubt it. I'm just cynical about video game journalism because these guys get away with this crap all the time, and it drags down my favorite hobby in the process.

My wife is a writer for a local paper, and when I find crap like this she wonders how they get away with it and keep their jobs. I don't understand it either. Needless to say I'm VERY passionate about video games.

Anyway, I've said my piece, that's enough of that. No reason to roast the guy any longer. :lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Flynn said:
Sorry, man. I was more focused on the big picture of the game and let that detail go in wrong. To be honest all three games are starting to blur together for me.

Frankly, I'm glad I'm not a real journalist. I'm more interested in criticism -- playing games and sharing the reasons I think they're relevant, interesting or fun. Still, that doesn't dismiss me from having to get shit right.

I have to say though, I'm pretty tired of every tiny mistake being cited as reasons that games journalism is bad. I think I'm a damn good writer with interesting things to say about games. I'm assuming that's why people keep hiring me.

Anyway, I'm sorry you got so angry around my review. I hope you never find yourself in a similar situation in your work.

Well, at least you are a bigger man than me, very mature reply.

Just please try to make video game journalism better! Check your stuff next time! I'm really hoping for a more professional source for information, and have yet to find one.

As for finding myself in that "situation" at work, that typically doesn't happen to me, but I'm a perfectionist.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Flynn said:

I think that some of the problems with gaming journalism lie with the audience. Most people reading early or pre-release reviews are looking for confirmation that they made a good purchase rather than detailed criticism. So it's no surprise that people are jumping all over the one review that isn't overwhelmingly positive.

Flynn

Alienshogun said:

Just please try to make video game journalism better! Check your stuff next time! I'm really hoping for a more professional source for information, and have yet to find one.

Thanks. That means a lot. And, seriously, go read Gamasutra. They're the best outfit going as far as news goes.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
SapientWolf said:
I think that some of the problems with gaming journalism lie with the audience. Most people reading early or pre-release reviews are looking for confirmation that they made a good purchase rather than detailed criticism. So it's no surprise that people are jumping all over the one review that isn't overwhelmingly positive.

His opinion wasn't the issue, just the facts presented in it.

Alienshogun said:

As for finding myself in that "situation" at work, that typically doesn't happen to me, but I'm a perfectionist.

Um, yes. Flynn you are the only beacon of shining light...you. Must. Save. Gaming. Journalism.

One journalist to rule them all, etc.

Edit: Spotted a typo...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Um, yes. Flynn is are the only beacon of shining light...you. Must. Save. Gaming. Journalism.

One journalist to rule them all, etc.

You gotta start somewhere. :lol

Flynn said:
Thanks. That means a lot. And, seriously, go read Gamasutra. They're the best outfit going as far as news goes.

I'll check that out. IGN has just left me a bitter, bitter, gamer after all these years when it comes to gaming journalism, so I immediately attack any article with errors like a pitbull who has been fed raw frozen horse meat for years. :lol

Kimosabae

Banned
SapientWolf said:
I think that some of the problems with gaming journalism lie with the audience.

Bingo.

If you ask me, the audience doesn't merit or deserve the supposed "professionalism" it clamors on about.

derFeef

Alienshogun said:
I'll check that out. IGN has just left me a bitter, bitter, gamer after all these years when it comes to gaming journalism, so I immediately attack any article with errors like a pitbull who has been fed raw frozen horse meat for years. :lol
Why though? If I read a mistake I just ignore it. The reviewer has still an opinion of the game and thats what I am looking for.

edit:

Shurs said:
I'm sorry, I couldn't get past your misspelling of "opinion."
Heh, I am sorry Shurs :lol

Shurs

derFeef said:
Why though? If I read a mistake I just ignore it. The reviewer has still an oponion of the game and thats what I am looking for.

I'm sorry, I couldn't get past your misspelling of "opinion."

Jex

derFeef said:
Why though? If I read a mistake I just ignore it. The reviewer has still an oponion of the game and thats what I am looking for.
How else is one supposed to launch a broadside against a whole industry?

matmanx1 said:
Hmm, almost universal acclaim for the multi-player (which I expected) but less praise for the single player which is somewhat of a let down to me. I play Halo for the story (and because Master Chief was a great character) and don't care much about the multi-player. I wonder if Reach is going to be worth $60 for me or If I wouldn't be better served to just pick it up on the cheap sometime later.

Honestly, I think you should read the reviews again. Many of the more respected ones are stating that the character development and feel of the campaign is very very good.

If you're only looking to play the story once, finish it, and never go back to try something different (skulls, easter egg hunting, co op) then i think it might be a rental for you.

However, if you enjoy the idea of firefight (horde mode in gears) with very deep custimization and the chance to play it online if you feel like it, then I would suggest a purchase. There is a large replay value outside of Multiplayer if you enjoy the AI.

Think about, don't purchase unless you can trust to get your money's worth.

Flynn

Shurs said:
GAF continually corrects JVM's NPD columns after he posts them.

Ouch. I hate doing NPD analysis, so I feel the pain there. I think the thing that makes Gamasutra stand out is that they will usually do original reporting on news items and take the time to really flesh the story out when most outlets (me included) will link another source and call it a day.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
derFeef said:

Because typically reviewers also do previews and other interviews/articles. If I see errors it throws their credibility out the window. How can you expect a "valid opinion" on game mechanics, story, multiplayer, if there is a doubt that the person may not even understand/know what he is reviewing?

Like in the Game Trailers review, they were complaining about power weapons being over powered. I mean come on, really?

Also, they were complaining about assassinations taking too long and "back smacking" being a better alternative.

Clearly they don't understand the mechanics. At least in my opinion.

Striker

While I don't agree the Halo games have a strong sense of personality among their characters, only Master Chief is the most memorable one, though that is self-explanatory. Others, like Miranda Keyes, Arbiter, or Sgt. Johnson, provide the brief stint in the game, but really aren't something I consider strong characters overall. They could have went somewhere with Arbiter, but they really stripped his magnitude in Halo 3 where he was basically Robin with little commentary.

Halo 1 brought a ton of great moments of giving players a reason to carry for characters. Chief, Cortana (really was underwhelming in Halo 2 and 3), and Capt. Keyes were key virtues.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Alienshogun said:
His opinion wasn't the issue, just the facts presented in it.
I find it hard to believe that that is the only Reach review out there that made any errors concerning the minutiae of the expansive Halo universe. The (now controversial) score clearly put this one in the spotlight. Plus, I don't think that small error really made any difference in how people reading the review will perceive the game.

Factual errors concerning gameplay, especially parts of it that the reviewer criticized, are much more egregious. I was disappointed to read negative Devil May Cry 3 reviews that focused on how you had to restart the level every time you died.

Flynn said:
Ouch. I hate doing NPD analysis, so I feel the pain there. I think the thing that makes Gamasutra stand out is that they will usually do original reporting on news items and take the time to really flesh the story out when most outlets (me included) will link another source and call it a day.

The fact that you're here and discussing and making an effort to seek forgiveness for a small error means more than you know and lets me know that you care about what you do.

You're one of the good guys, stay strong.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
SapientWolf said:
I find it hard to believe that that is the only Reach review out there that made any errors concerning the minutiae of the expansive Halo universe. The (now controversial) score clearly put this one in the spotlight. Plus, I don't think that small error really made any difference in how people reading the review will perceive the game.

Factual errors concerning gameplay, especially parts of it that the reviewer criticized, are much more egregious. It's hard to express how angry I was to hear negative Devil May Cry 3 reviews that focused on how you had to restart the level every time you died.

I think you are seeing things where you want to see them.

He could have rated it a 9/10 or even a 10/10 and I still would have bitched about the factual error.

Hell in fact, back when I was on IGN, Hil did a review of Bionic Commando Rearmed in which he raved about it, but I was pissed off and went after him about his "shooting the arm in front of you for the first time ever" comment, which was completely not true, in fact, they never fixed it. It's STILL in their video review.

I only focused on this article we are talking about currently, because it's the most apparent, due to the discussion. I haven't read through all the others to find their issues, but I'm sure they have some too.

_Bro

Banned
Alienshogun said:
Because typically reviewers also do previews and other interviews/articles. If I see errors it throws their credibility out the window. How can you expect a "valid opinion" on game mechanics, story, multiplayer, if there is a doubt that the person may not even understand/know what he is reviewing?

Like in the game trailers review, they were complaining about power weapons being over powered. I mean come on, really?

Also, they were complaining about assassinations taking too long and "back smacking" being a better alternative.

Clearly they don't understand the mechanics. At least in my opinion.
Clearly you don't understand journalism. "Video Game Journalism" is a highly glorified opinions section. It's Rotten Tomatoes. It's Ebert-lite. It is not "news" coverage. If it were news coverage than the entire industry would be covered and not the big boys. There is no Local News section for these "journalists."

The internet, as itself, is still being widely discussed in Journalism. Does blog coverage count as Journalism? Do forums such as NeoGAF count as Journalism? Are the standards different, do the sway on a pendulum and align where they fall?

Fuck dude, I doubt half these guys have the AP style book on their desk.

MAYBE THEY DO!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
_Bro said:
Clearly you don't understand journalism. "Video Game Journalism" is a highly glorified opinions section. It's Rotten Tomatoes. It's Ebert-lite. It is not "news" coverage. If it were news coverage than the entire industry would be covered and not the big boys. There is no Local News section for these "journalists."

The internet, as itself, is still being widely discussed in Journalism. Does blog coverage count as Journalism? Do forums such as NeoGAF count as Journalism? Are the standards different, do the sway on a pendulum and align where they fall?

Fuck dude, I doubt half these guys have the AP style book on their desk.

MAYBE THEY DO!

Reviews may be a "glorified opinion section," but previews, overviews of series, and interviews are all (well should be) real journalism. It's very much news about the gaming industry, but it's crap typically.

I see what you are getting at, and it's the very reason I'm so disappointed.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Alienshogun said:
I think you are seeing things where you want to see them.

He could have rated it a 9/10 or even a 10/10 and I still would have bitched about the factual error.

Hell in fact, back when I was on IGN, Hil did a review of Bionic Commando Rearmed in which he raved about it, but I was pissed off and went after him about his "shooting the arm in front of you for the first time ever" comment, which was completely not true, in fact, they never fixed it. It's STILL in their video review.

I only focused on this article we are talking about currently, because it's the most apparent, due to the discussion. I haven't read through all the others to find their issues, but I'm sure they have some too.
You can find errors in anything, if you're willing to look hard enough. For example, one Reach review said you fly jets into space, even though gas turbine engines don't function in a vacuum. If things like this really make you upset then I would advise you to skip reading reviews altogether. Or better yet, get a job as an editor.

Flynn

SapientWolf said:
You can find errors in anything, if you're willing to look hard enough. For example, one Reach review said you fly jets into space, even though gas turbine engines don't function in a vacuum. If things like this really make you upset then I would advise you to skip reading reviews altogether. Or better yet, get a job as an editor.

Seriously, we could use more fact checkers. Sadly nobody has the budget for them any more.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
SapientWolf said:

Really dude? Really?

That's not even the same issue. I'm done pandering to you.

Top Bottom