• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 |OT| Warranty For Suckers

Tecnniqe

Banned
Wait what? There is no denying that the pc port has problems, but Halo 5 and wars 2 are very playable, on XB1 at least. But i assume you were being sarcastic, no?

Can only echo this experience as well.

BTW does anyone now what happens when your units level up in Blitz mode, and would you really describe the mode as having a p2w feature?

Actually my digital copy of H5 had issues at launch to the point I had to redownload it to make it run but even then it had some woky shit, but besides the point, they had great post support and my issues resolved fairly quick so maybe putting it in the same boat is unfair, credit to them, but the issue here seems to be the PC version as X1 seems fine for the most part(?).

Looking at the reddit post the unplayable online seems PC related, at least they are the ones reporting it.

1v1 is fine, coop/firefight with 2+ is fine and most of the time 2v2 blitz seems alright but anything outside of that its DC and lag fest for no reason as 3v3 AI runs silky smooth.

As for blitz, a level 5 warthog absolutely wrecks a level 2 warthog. Each card level up = unit veterancy.

Seems like people on Xbox are not experiencing troubles. Seems to be PC related, I hope they fix it fast though. 1vs1 is manageable, but Blitz is a total slideshow.

Spasm

Seems like people on Xbox are not experiencing troubles. Seems to be PC related, I hope they fix it fast though. 1vs1 is manageable, but Blitz is a total slideshow.
I'm getting freezes on Xbox playing campaign. They were pretty frequent this weekend, and lasted up to 20 seconds at times.

Also, the campaign levels will NOT load if I've previously let the Xbox go to sleep while HW2 was running. Nothing short of a cold boot of the system will get them to load correctly again.

I am on the insider preview alpha, that could have something to do with it.

So, I'm about halfway through the campaign, played 10 (or so) skirmishes vs CPU and a couple of Fire Fight Blitz games. Overall I am loving it so far. It definitely has a C&C like feel to it. I like how it isn't super dummied down like HW1 was but it also doesn't get overly complicated and micromanagy. It seems to strike a perfect balance between the two.

Will probably take my game online in the next few days now that I am comfortable with everything. but as an RTS fan and someone who is always wanting more on consoles, this is exactly what I was hoping it would be.

Caayn

Mini-map is also wonky, in co-op the north (where the arrow points to) can be at different position for different players and resetting the camera also results in different camera angles/positions for each player and doesn't align with the arrow on the map. So what is the north of the map for me can be the south for my co-op buddy.

Lom1lo

I dont get Blitz, I think Im the worst Blitz Player on the Planet. Its not even close. Firefight is cool but gives no XP.

Rodelero

It's kind of irritating that the game has released in such a broken state when they could easily have had a proper beta for the multiplayer. They instead opted to only show off the Blitz mode, despite the disastrously broken beta they did back last Summer.

Still toying with whether and when to get this game, but I'm definitely not going to buy it while the one bit I want is flat out broken.

CISphil

Neo Member
The AI just randomly stopping or glassing my entire army on a regular basis is getting really annoying. Is there a way to turn this crap off in the campaign? Does the difficulty affect it? Seems to be more frequent on higher difficulties going by some posts. I'm playing on Heroic and, while the regular enemy difficulty is just right, this is just making it a chore.

Currently on The Cartographer and got too frustrated to bother after having large chunks of my squads get destroyed while attacking the points by their leader power stopping me as the sentinels are arriving.

zeeaykay

I dont get Blitz, I think Im the worst Blitz Player on the Planet. Its not even close. Firefight is cool but gives no XP.
I really think the priority in Blitz is getting energy. Even if it's 100-0 but you've been getting more energy comebacks are not impossible and even likely. I'll just hold one base and then spread troops to gather energy drops, I wouldn't worry about controlling 2 of the 3 until one side has 100 points or so.

If your units are getting destroyed rush back to heal and then regroup.

Strategic placement of artillery units are key when holding the control points. Have a good counter to this strategy as well, whether it's teleporting troops in close or using a scout and leader powers to take them out.

Lom1lo

I really think the priority in Blitz is getting energy. Even if it's 100-0 but you've been getting more energy comebacks are not impossible and even likely. I'll just hold one base and then spread troops to gather energy drops, I wouldn't worry about controlling 2 of the 3 until one side has 100 points or so.

If your units are getting destroyed rush back to heal and then regroup.

Strategic placement of artillery units are key when holding the control points. Have a good counter to this strategy as well, whether it's teleporting troops in close or using a scout and leader powers to take them out.

Thanks for the tipp, I did always go for the bases instead of getting as much energy as possible.

Is it just me or are the banished better than the unsc ?

Tecnniqe

Banned
It's kind of irritating that the game has released in such a broken state when they could easily have had a proper beta for the multiplayer. They instead opted to only show off the Blitz mode, despite the disastrously broken beta they did back last Summer.

Still toying with whether and when to get this game, but I'm definitely not going to buy it while the one bit I want is flat out broken.

Even with the issues Ive spent over 24 hours since friday.. :3
Thanks for the tipp, I did always go for the bases instead of getting as much energy as possible.

not really, they have some good starter armies but Ive not seen one be superior. If anything UNSC is due to spartans.

B3N1

Screenshot-Original.png

When you want to reload your game too early.
I had to Force Close.

Bonus fav menu animation.
n4twmDl.gif

Is this on PC too?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Sounds like a troll. What are these 'server issues' you speak of?

If you're talking about HW2, there is a problem. At least on PC, just take a look at their forum or some impressions here? :3

If referring to others outside this; MCC was just broken in every way and H5 was probably just overloaded as it was a huge title as always

KaYotiX

Banned
Played an 1.5 long game. Teammate got decemated. I held my own against 2 others and almost won...until the game desynced and kicked me out. No exp or anything. Fucking bullshit. This kind of stuff is fine in an fps, but not in a game that can last multiple hours.

shit happened alot in the betas....im not touching this game until all the bugs are worked out.

AYF 001

Beat the campaign yesterday, but I noticed some bugs along the way. On Xbox, it seems the power menu won't always select the ability you want to activate, so there have been times when I try to call something in, only to have the menu cancel out. On PC, when I go into the settings menu from the main screen, the game will crash after a minute or 2. I can edit options in game just fine, however. I've also noticed a few instances of vehicles becoming unresponsive to commands, as if they were stuck or somehow the command glitches out their AI.

Overall it seems like a good successor, and hopefully these bugs will be ironed out soon enough.

sam777

I recommend that you start off like this, go to base A with your starting group, while spawning another low cost card to collect energy the energy that is deployed, then work from their.

Maybe it's because I jumped right into multiplayer having only played the HW1 campaign and the HW2 tutorial, but rumble just seems like a massive clusterfuck.

hwalker84

Sometimes there's weird things in games that make me wonder if anyone focus grouped or playtested the game. You lose a mission why can't you pick a save from this menu? Like who the fuck didn't think that wasn't a good idea?

Still love the game. Haven't had any issues other than Spartans that refuse to move every once in awhile.

The later levels on Legendary are already frustrating as it can be. So lets add a time limit cause fuck you. This is definitely my least favorite Legendary run. Other Halos still felt fair on Legendary. This game is just bullshit.

Oh, it doesn't help that my Spartan got bugged and couldn't move.

Werd

Any issues known to be improved yet? Vs AI reward wins correctly or anything?
The later levels on Legendary are already frustrating as it can be. So lets add a time limit cause fuck you. This is definitely my least favorite Legendary run. Other Halos still felt fair on Legendary. This game is just bullshit.
Halo 2 sniper jackal alley wasn't remotely fair! I haven't done legendary yet to judge this one but given what those leader powers can do in multi I'm sure it will be rough.
Probably going to give it one shot legit then turn on a bunch of skulls.
Are you on Xbox? Because that's been a bug for a while. Uncommon one but a pain in the backside when it happens. Fully reboot your console to fix.
PC mostly, though I had played a little on XBox about the time it seemed to cut me off.

R aka Bon

So in your opinion Halo 2 felt fair on legendary? Interesting

Also love the rainbow skull, makes scarab look less scary :)

I have to be honest, I am very surprised by all the negative impressions in this thread. While I am about the furthest thing from an RTS fan, Halo Wars was the only RTS I ever really enjoyed enough to play for years. By the end of its lifetime, I had something around three hundred hours played - I loved it that much.

After spending time on both the PC and Xbox One versions of Halo Wars 2, I'm enjoying it even more than the original. It certainly has problems, of course, namely the options menus on PC and some cutscene playback issues on the Xbox One version but aside from those minor niggles everything has been great. As a matter of fact, I am playing Multiplayer on PC right now and I haven't encountered any issues with the servers or performance. While this isn't meant to dismiss the complaints of those who have encountered issues, it's just worth noting that it certainly isn't an issue for everyone.

My point is that if you enjoyed Halo Wars or you're apprehensive about jumping in because of some of the negative impressions scattered around this thread, I wouldn't completely dismiss it. For whatever it's worth, I have had a pretty smooth experience so far and I am really enjoying my time with it. This is easily going to be a go-to for me for me for the foreseeable future.

RoKKeR

Just finished the campaign... damn that ending was abrupt. I enjoyed the story overall but it felt like the ending was rushed. Ah well, the Blur cinematics were phenomenal and there were solid missions throughout. Really enjoyed my time with the campaign.

I have been surprised by the reports of bugs in this thread, as I've had a fairly smooth experience overall. I'm playing on Xbox, and other than a few hitches when new objectives show up and a bit of wonky movement from individual units (when having them collect power, for instance) I haven't noticed anything too out of the ordinary.

Excited to jump into MP. It's still hard to believe that we actually got a Halo Wars 2, and that it turned out to be such a solid title. Thumbs up from me.

Unity2012

Theres a new update when you start the game. Hopefully adds some fixes besides just ending the early access period.

Im really loving the game, more than i expected. I havent had major problems but a couple freezes on the xbox one during gameplay. As a long time pc rts player i know, even some of the best known developers of this genre, after long testing still find a lot of issues at launch. Im not justifying the bugs but reminding us that is not unusual to see this happen. The game is "officially out tomorrow--21st.
I am going to continue to enjoy the game, which is a lot of fun when it works right(which is most of the time),and give them sometime to fix & to respond to gamers until these issues are resolved. COMMUNICATION IS KEY HERE 343i.

Picked this up yesterday, got the ultimate edition...playing through Halo Wars 1 first with a buddy in co-op since we never got to play it. So far digging it.

Hawk269

Had another weird bug today...

Was Level 7 and ready to go to Level 8. Played a Blitz match, leveled up and it awarded me a Blitz Pack. Redeemed the Blitz pack no issues. I went back to play some more Blitz to polish off the dailies and after every game it kept giving me the screen that I leveled up and was awarded a Blitz pack. Being that I already leveled from 7 to 8 and already received a Blitz pack I decided to check and sure enough there was no blitz pack because I knew it was a bug. The bigger issue is that I played 5 more Blitz matches and after every single one I was given the screen that I leveled up and was awarded a blitz pack. It would not stop. After the 3rd time, I backed out of the game and stated again and it kept doing it. Right now I am a little past half way to Level 9, but the game keeps telling me after every match that I leveled up.

I am still loving the game and it is just these odd bugs that are making things tough for me. This particular bug is not game breaking, but I had another one that screwed me where I went from Level 6 to 7, played 2 games and it put me back to Level 6. I lost a blitz pack since I never went to redeem it the first time I officially went from 6 to 7. I rally hope they have a big team working on these bugs and balance issues.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I have to be honest, I am very surprised by all the negative impressions in this thread. While I am about the furthest thing from an RTS fan, Halo Wars was the only RTS I ever really enjoyed enough to play for years. By the end of its lifetime, I had something around three hundred hours played - I loved it that much.

After spending time on both the PC and Xbox One versions of Halo Wars 2, I'm enjoying it even more than the original. It certainly has problems, of course, namely the options menus on PC and some cutscene playback issues on the Xbox One version but aside from those minor niggles everything has been great. As a matter of fact, I am playing Multiplayer on PC right now and I haven't encountered any issues with the servers or performance. While this isn't meant to dismiss the complaints of those who have encountered issues, it's just worth noting that it certainly isn't an issue for everyone.

My point is that if you enjoyed Halo Wars or you're apprehensive about jumping in because of some of the negative impressions scattered around this thread, I wouldn't completely dismiss it. For whatever it's worth, I have had a pretty smooth experience so far and I am really enjoying my time with it. This is easily going to be a go-to for me for me for the foreseeable future.
Well, everyone I know who own the game on PC run into the same issues with different systems and some in other regions sadly but I'm glad not everyone seem to suffer, but adding to the issues I'm still very much enjoying the game, I have well over a day of playtime and still trucking along playing a couple hours a day because even with some issues it's still a great RTS.
Just finished the campaign... damn that ending was abrupt. I enjoyed the story overall but it felt like the ending was rushed. Ah well, the Blur cinematics were phenomenal and there were solid missions throughout. Really enjoyed my time with the campaign.

I have been surprised by the reports of bugs in this thread, as I've had a fairly smooth experience overall. I'm playing on Xbox, and other than a few hitches when new objectives show up and a bit of wonky movement from individual units (when having them collect power, for instance) I haven't noticed anything too out of the ordinary.

Excited to jump into MP. It's still hard to believe that we actually got a Halo Wars 2, and that it turned out to be such a solid title. Thumbs up from me.
Yeah the ending is a bit quick but it very much liked the setup they did, wish there were more of the cutscenes overall but it's quite great.

Units having their own mind can be an issue sometimes along with weird pathing especially in larger groups/fights but the main issue in big battles for me is the leader powers. Way to fast and way to dangerous making it way easy to wipe the enemy 120 pop army in a single strike.
Picked this up yesterday, got the ultimate edition...playing through Halo Wars 1 first with a buddy in co-op since we never got to play it. So far digging it.
:)
Any issues known to be improved yet? Vs AI reward wins correctly or anything?
Not played since it "officially" released but I hope they fix it.
If not you need to destroy their base for a proper win.

Well I can't even play. I just got it downloaded and all I've managed to get through is the tutorial. The game is crashing constantly. I managed to load into the tutorial on my second try. Trying a custom game vs AI, as soon as the load finishes, crash. Try campaign, hit continue, little cutscene vignette finishes, crash. Three attempts at multiplayer, two at campaign, and an attempt loading both the basic and advanced tutorials and crash.

What the fuck.

(PC)

I like the game, I really do. However, somethings are just sapping the fun out of it.

Bugs, bugs, and more bugs. For example, your units will get stuck and can't move at all.

Constant disconnects and lag in general when it comes to online play. 1v1 works fine, no problems there. However, 2v2 and 3v3 constantly have DCs or it just lags (I'm on PC).

Legendary, I understand, it's supposed to be hard. I like a challenge. There's a reason why I take the time to beat each Halo on Legendary. However, the Legendary in this game just isn't fun at all because of the AI. It just straight up cheats with unlimited hero power. Having your army constantly wiped because they can call down their beams anytime they want is bullshit. They already have more units and resources than you. So why do they need unlimited hero power? It's just bullshit because you can't avoid it. The most you can do is spilt your forces the second it comes down so you don't lose everyone.

Those are the main things really annoying me atm. Other than that I enjoy the game.

I like the game, I really do. However, somethings are just sapping the fun out of it.

Bugs, bugs, and more bugs. For example, your units will get stuck and can’t move at all.

Constant disconnects and lag in general when it comes to online play. 1v1 works fine, no problems there. However, 2v2 and 3v3 constantly have DCs or it just lags (I’m on PC).

Legendary, I understand, it’s supposed to be hard. I like a challenge. There’s a reason why I take the time to beat each Halo on Legendary. However, the Legendary in this game just isn’t fun at all because of the AI. It just straight up cheats with unlimited hero power. Having your army constantly wiped because they can call down their beams anytime they want is bullshit. They already have more units and resources than you. So why do they need unlimited hero power? It’s just bullshit because you can’t avoid it. The most you can do is spilt your forces the second it comes down so you don’t lose everyone.

Those are the main things really annoying me atm. Other than that I enjoy the game.

You forgot the UI, it's so bad.

Connection is a real issue though, whole hour long games with latency.

CuNi

Bugs, bugs, and more bugs. For example, your units will get stuck and can’t move at all.

Constant disconnects and lag in general when it comes to online play. 1v1 works fine, no problems there. However, 2v2 and 3v3 constantly have DCs or it just lags (I’m on PC).

Legendary, I understand, it’s supposed to be hard. I like a challenge. There’s a reason why I take the time to beat each Halo on Legendary. However, the Legendary in this game just isn’t fun at all because of the AI. It just straight up cheats with unlimited hero power. Having your army constantly wiped because they can call down their beams anytime they want is bullshit. They already have more units and resources than you. So why do they need unlimited hero power? It’s just bullshit because you can’t avoid it. The most you can do is spilt your forces the second it comes down so you don’t lose everyone.

I just learned to put my army into 4 groups and once the Bullshit from above starts raining down, scatter them in every possible direction.. I have to say I don't mind the frequency, because it was pretty much on par with my leader abilities, but what really pissed me off was the fact that even when those units are in a level 3 regeneration drone field, the laser melts through them as if the were butter.. If feels like the heal doesn't heal at all once the shit show starts.

Top Bottom