• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 |OT| Warranty For Suckers

TechOne

So anyone notice the super unit spam in multiplayer?

Their counters aren't effective when everyone on the other team has them all out. :/

RoKKeR

Played a round of Blitz Firefight, that's actually pretty damn fun. Hectic and overwhelming, but I suppose that's the point of Firefight! Was surprised to see it doesn't give you any XP, though? Seems like an odd choice - have they said anything about that?

Their counters aren't effective when everyone on the other team has them all out. :/
The super units in Blitz just feel flat out broken.

I'm hoping this is just a kneejerk reaction since the game is young and I am inexperienced, but I can't possibly think of a way to fight back in Blitz against people who keep whipping out Scarabs and Condors.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Played a round of Blitz Firefight, that's actually pretty damn fun. Hectic and overwhelming, but I suppose that's the point of Firefight! Was surprised to see it doesn't give you any XP, though? Seems like an odd choice - have they said anything about that?
No they haven't to my knowledge which is a huge shame. Only match made games seem to grant exp which is a bit sad :( not even skirmish does.

El Txou

I'm hoping this is just a kneejerk reaction since the game is young and I am inexperienced, but I can't possibly think of a way to fight back in Blitz against people who keep whipping out Scarabs and Condors.

I've been playing a lot of Blitz, and every time someone spawns a Super Unit the best strategy is to flat out leave. They are timed, and a lot of people use them and they don't have enough time to do enough damage to make it worth it. I've found that they are pretty well balanced. I have very decent winning record and I almost never use them, games usually end before we get to that point. But, my final advice is to move, and try to spawn a cheap unit to grab a un defended zone.

Soi-Fong

Man, what the fuck is going on...? How the hell did MS and 343 think to release the game in this state... Sony is really showing them up. When you have reports of Horizon being one of the most bug-free games during its launch and comparing it to this, you wonder what kind of QA they're doing in there.

Werd

One thing I dont think most understand on the Super Units in Blitz yet is how much the distinction between being an actual unit and leader power matters. In addition to having the timer that means you don't always have to even fight them (I think it's 40 seconds?), they don't get any refund on energy when the die/expire. Regular units give you 50% back on death.

So if a Scarab kills 600 energy of units (extreme), it's only breaking even on net energy lost. They are good zoning tools and the Condor deals a lot more damage so I like it, but I remove the Scarab from Banished decks once I get their hero units.

Tecnniqe

Banned
One thing people I dont think most understand on the Super Units in Blitz yet is how much the distinction between being an actual unit and leader power matters. In addition to having the timer that means you don't always have to even fight them (I think it's 40 seconds?), they don't get any refund on energy when the die/expire. Regular units give you 50% back on death.

So if a Scarab kills 600 energy of units (extreme), it's only breaking even on net energy lost. They are good zoning tools and the Condor deals a lot more damage so I like it, but I remove the Scarab from Banished decks once I get their hero units.
Spartan with Rush > any mechanical unit

Defect

Wow, One Three Zero on Legendary. What a dumb fucking mission. Defend this piece of shit area for no reason for 20 minutes with little to no resources.

Pretty poor campaign so far compared to the first game.

Brute Jump pack and Leader Attack spamming seems to be standard which is very very sad.

Man, what the fuck is going on...? How the hell did MS and 343 think to release the game in this state... Sony is really showing them up. When you have reports of Horizon being one of the most bug-free games during its launch and comparing it to this, you wonder what kind of QA they're doing in there.

The handling of the Halo Franchise since 343 took over is pretty poor. Dont get why some of the Xbox Team is still okey with that. Seems like 343s philosophy so far is, it kinda works... so ship it.
Last polished Halo game ive seen was from Bungie in 2010 with Halo Reach.

Cranster

Banned
Brute Jump pack and Leader Attack spamming seems to be standard which is very very sad.
Unfortunately that is to be expected as leader rushing and rush tactics in general were dominant in the original Halo Wars. It's the main reason why I still don't have the Running The Show achievement in the original game as I quit playing because of those tactics.

The handling of the Halo Franchise since 343 took over is pretty poor. Dont get why some of the Xbox Team is still okey with that. Seems like 343s philosophy so far is, it kinda works... so ship it.
Last polished Halo game ive seen was from Bungie in 2010 with Halo Reach.
I think your looking at it with a bit of bias, Halo Anniversary, Halo 4 and Halo 5 were and are polished games. Both game's shipped with no major bugs or issues. I've experienced the odd issue with Halo Wars 2 but nothing really gamebreaking that makes the game unpolished or broken either. As for cheap tactics and the unfair dificulty in the game's campaign I won't be surprised if things get tweaked by CA/343i in future updates to keep the game fresh and balanced.

Akai__

So frustrating that I just can't play the game currently, but could easily replay Halo Wars 1 several times Solo and Co-Op on all various difficulties. Heck even Legendary was a non-issue for me and I helped several people with it and even 100%'ed the game again from December to January.

In Halo Wars 2, you are just getting fucked by the cheap and unbalanced AI even on Normal. I feel like the biggest casual admitting this, but I couldn't even beat Mission 11 in co-op on Normal and to save us frustration, we switched to Easy and still weren't able to get the Bonus Objectives done.

Feel so disappointed in this game, because it's just not a good sequel. So many disappointing things about it.

Lom1lo

I think its not cool that:

- no xp in skirmish and firefight
- for daily/weekly only matchmake counts
- no campaign mission in daily/weekly
- no cool stuff like play a match only with units from barracks etc in daily/weekly

And I think the stats are broken, even if I won a match (3 vs KI) it counts sometimes as defeat lol

Loving the Anders Sentinel rush. Pair them up with 2/3 Nightingales and it becomes way too easy. Keep scouting the enemy to see what he is up to. If he starts moving troops away in the early stages, move your force over. If you have a decent amount of Sentinels you can quickly drop his main base before he can properly respond. Else, settle for the resource buildings. The sentinels are insanely fast, ideal for hit and run. On top of that, you can start spamming them in phase 1 and hamper (or outright crush) your opponent early while you start teching like crazy.

The only losses I have had so far are when I didn't scout properly and he had already moved a large force of Marines over to my base. Nowadays I just drop an early anti infantry turret and that solves most of the issues.

Tecnniqe

Banned
So frustrating that I just can't play the game currently, but could easily replay Halo Wars 1 several times Solo and Co-Op on all various difficulties. Heck even Legendary was a non-issue for me and I helped several people with it and even 100%'ed the game again from December to January.

In Halo Wars 2, you are just getting fucked by the cheap and unbalanced AI even on Normal. I feel like the biggest casual admitting this, but I couldn't even beat Mission 11 in co-op on Normal and to save us frustration, we switched to Easy and still weren't able to get the Bonus Objectives done.

Feel so disappointed in this game, because it's just not a good sequel. So many disappointing things about it.
It's weird to see all the complaints about the campaign being impossible on Legendary. Yes the leader power spam is BS and removes the strategy aspect as soon as they go down but I think I only had 4 total or so actual defeats until I learned and adapted to the situation the mission required (outside some disconnect kicking me to menu for whatever reason).

I quite enjoy it, I think it's a good sequel but plagued with some minor issues and some more major ones souring the experience.

I hope it's quickly solved as some of them are game breaking (read MP lag/DC on PC).

- no cool stuff like play a match only with units from barracks etc in daily/weekly

And I think the stats are broken, even if I won a match (3 vs KI) it counts sometimes as defeat lol
Yeah the first two points are surely the most disappointing ones to me and the others would be cool too.

As for the AI, win in a match made match 3vAI win only gets registered if you eliminate them by destroying their base regardless of game mode.

Winning by conditions like capture point or stronghold nets a defeat regardless.

Lom1lo

As for the AI, win in a match made match 3vAI win only gets registered if you eliminate them by destroying their base regardless of game mode.

Winning by conditions like capture point or stronghold nets a defeat regardless.

Lol is this a bug or intended ?

sam777

2 Blitz packs in a row I got the Legendary Leader Forge Warthog card, which is cool but the damn thing costs 220 energy to spawn.

sam777

I am sure 2 and 3 will hopefully change soon.

Enjoying this so far, had some freezes in one mission which is rubbish, but otherwise has some cool missions and lots of new things to play with.

witness

Wtf is this? This cannot be intended right? This was probably going to be my mode of choice after I finish the campaign.

Caayn

Number one is my biggest issue with the current reward system. My other one being that it's unclear* when you get packs and there's no way to buy them outside of using real currency.

*Completing campaign missions for the first time and levelling up, wins don't give you a pack, what else does give you packs?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Number one is my biggest issue with the current reward system. My other one being that it's unclear* when you get packs and there's no way to buy them outside of using real currency.

*Completing campaign missions for the first time and levelling up, wins don't give you a pack, what else does give you packs?
Daily and weekly + level

It's weird to see all the complaints about the campaign being impossible on Legendary. Yes the leader power spam is BS and removes the strategy aspect as soon as they go down but I think I only had 4 total or so actual defeats until I learned and adapted to the situation the mission required (outside some disconnect kicking me to menu for whatever reason).

It's not impossible. I'll get around to finishing it, I have two missions left. However, this is the first time Legendary has felt like a chore to me. I'm not enjoying it at all. I actually enjoyed some of the earlier missions, but some of these later ones are just shit. On the Foundry mission it gave me a checkpoint right when my Scarab was about to blow up. (I just tried to rush the Banshee base at the end hoping it would end the mission, it doesn't though.) So I have to restart the whole thing, lol.

pitchfork

No issues for me yet in SP (console)

Waiting on finishing the campaign before jumping into MP just to get a complete feel for things (different units/tactics etc..)

Thoroughly enjoying it though!

Tecnniqe

Banned
It’s not impossible. I’ll get around to finishing it, I have two missions left. However, this is the first time Legendary has felt like a chore to me. I’m not enjoying it at all. I actually enjoyed some of the earlier missions, but some of these later ones are just shit. On the Foundry mission it gave me a checkpoint right when my Scarab was about to blow up. (I just tried to rush the Banshee base at the end hoping it would end the mission, it doesn’t though.) So I have to restart the whole thing, lol.
I can see that, some missions are designed for turtle city :p

m23

Beat the campaign yesterday. Overall, really enjoyed it aside from that one mission everyone is already talking about.

Have to admit though, I turned the difficulty down about halfway through. I'll definitely be doing another run on heroic though, legendary.... I don't know.

Having a lot of fun with blitz and blitz firefight. I still have to get into the regular mp still.

Akai__

Just started the game to see if anything has updated and in fact I received an update message in-game. Downloaded the latest data and it restarted the game automatically.

What has changed?

depward

Nothing majorily broken with the PC release no? About to pull the trigger. Also, any sort of cross play with it?
Some disconnecting issues for mp and some reported graphical issues.

No crossplay, correct. But game saves and service records sync between PC and x1.

Iceman829

I lost like 5 games of blitz last night using quick match. I'm lvl/rank 2 and it would match me up with other teammates that were my rank and the other teams would be in their teens. Every match I was steamrolled and it wasn't even fun. If they don't fix the matchmaking I'll probably never go online again. What's the point of being shutdown 200 - 10 every match because I can't face opponents on my level.

Then my buddy asked to play a match of skirmish against the AI to get an achievement. In the middle of clearing out their bases his game crashed and he was kicked out. I got the achievement and all he got was wasted time.

It just wasn't fun to play last night

Toa TAK

Banned
How in the world are you and your team supposed to Rush the AI in 8 minutes?

That's the only Weekly I neeeeed (for the achievement).

PC datamined:

217403_16901820_795466663939359_208167748_n.jpg

I like the AI in MP. They captured small bases behind our lines and harassed us really well.

Couldn't stand up to combined arms tho,on heroic anyway.

Lucifon

Whilst I fully agree with your first point there's a reason for the others:
- Allowing private matches to do daily/weeklies would allow people to effectively 'boost' them ultra easily.
- Having campaign missions in daily/weeklies would be ultra irritating to someone like me - having to replay campaign missions over and over to get a pack doesn't sound like fun.
- Forcing people to play a certain way online would ruin matchmaking and make things very easy to counter.

PC datamined:

No sign of a new army :(! Unless they fall under new leaders.

Top Bottom