• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 |OT| Warranty For Suckers

BondFancy

Played an 1.5 long game. Teammate got decemated. I held my own against 2 others and almost won...until the game desynced and kicked me out. No exp or anything. Fucking bullshit. This kind of stuff is fine in an fps, but not in a game that can last multiple hours.

RoKKeR

Played an 1.5 long game. Teammate got decemated. I held my own against 2 others and almost won...until the game desynced and kicked me out. No exp or anything. Fucking bullshit. This kind of stuff is fine in an fps, but not in a game that can last multiple hours.
Damn, that really sucks. Haven't tried multiplayer yet but I hope they address this.

Watching people sit there as my suicide grunt destroys everything they love is pretty great.

My roommate and I have been experiencing a lot of latency, hopefully it's due to the search radius and the connection will be better upon release.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Yeah they need to fix the server issues and they should probably reset W/L too.

I get kicked from almost every 2v2 and 3v3 match. My base will load in and then it'll disconnect me from the game and server. 1v1 works perfectly fine though.

Tecnniqe

Banned
This game is unplayable online. Can 343 launch a Halo game in playable state? i don't think we are asking for much.
They posed something on Reddit
Hi folks - Starting a new thread specifically for this issue to try and capture current info. The team did make some server configuration changes yesterday afternoon (PST) that should have resulted in players seeing smoother online games w/ less latency. Has anyone who was having issues noticed any improvement?

If you're still experiencing online specific issues as of today, Feb. 19, can you please post some info here: Gamertag / Platform / System Spec / Region / When does this occur? (all MP modes? Just 3v3? Just Skirmish? etc..)

thank you
https://www.reddit.com/r/HaloWars/comments/5v02pj/hw2_online_latency_performance_issues_feb19/

Looking at the comments it seems like mostly a PC issue.

But I completely agree. The lifeline of the game will be online and it's broken AF. The few matches that's been running fine end up disconnecting or giving me "out of sync" during big battles and micro on multiple sides of the map while on the brink of victory, causing defeat and 0 gains.

Why is there not a rejoin option when a millisecond gap in connection is enough to ruin potentially hours of gameplay?

I even had the disconnect me during Legendary coop on mission 11 after 1 hour and 10 minutes and just about to place the last objective to win.....

There is no save function for coop as far as I can see but shit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HaloWars/comments/5v02pj/hw2_online_latency_performance_issues_feb19/

But I completely agree. The lifeline of the game will be online and it's broken AF. The few matches that's been running fine end up disconnecting or giving me "out of sync" during big battles and micro on multiple sides of the map while on the brink of victory, causing defeat and 0 gains.

Why is there not a rejoin option when a millisecond gap in connection is enough to ruin potentially hours of gameplay?

I even had the disconnect me during Legendary coop on mission 11 after 1 hour and 10 minutes and just about to place the last objective to win.....

Welp, at least I know it's just not me.

Werd

So I just noticed none of my achievements have popped all day. 3 campaign missions, finishing the game, and who knows what else. I was still getting the packs and they show up on my service record.

edit: Was hoping everything would update if I reset and re-logging in but no. Had saves for the ends of the missions but didn't get back progress on anything like skulls/optional objectives/anything MP and such. It's alright since I hadn't done anything hard, but it would have been pretty annoying had I been doing Legendary.

edit2: Well then I re-did a mission to get the skull/objectives and those didn't count on either the achievements % of show up as completed on the mission list.
So at the current moment, I can't keep playing campaign going for achievements, don't want to play matchmaking vs AI because half the wins count as losses, and don't really want to play Deathmatch as it has the longest games and thus highest chance of being dropped.

I will say after a lull in the middle I enjoyed most of the campaign, and am enjoying the standard MP modes more now that I figured them out a bit. And still like Blitz a lot.

Poster#1

They could have done some research and looked at SC2 or the hundred other RTSs out there. CA & 343i also should know about these issues beforehand, especially after an open beta. They really soured the Halo brand after multiple abysmal launches.

Tecnniqe

Banned
They could have done some research and looked at SC2 or the hundred other RTSs out there. CA & 343i also should know about these issues beforehand, especially after an open beta. They really soured the Halo brand after multiple abysmal launches.
But the beta was fine. Blitz ran great and 3v3 had no issues or disconnects, at least not near this level.

But MCC, H5 launch and now this, HOW?

Atriox certainly seems badass (that fight against Red Team tho), but I'm massively disappointed that we barely saw his side of the story. Halo Wars 1 showed a ton of Ripa and Regret, made that climactic fight between Forge and Ripa way sweeter. I love stories where you see the villain's side of things. Definitely hoping we see some Atriox/Banished scenes in the DLCs.

Oh my God...what is with the loading problems in campaign? Sometime I can't get a level to load at all! I also experienced a game breaking bug in the mission Under Darkness where my Kodiak was frozen in a deployed state but the game didn't register it as deployed so after hours of playing that bitch stage on kegendary I had to restart the whole thing! Grrr....

hwalker84

Issues I've had are minor so far

Spartans that stop moving. Sometimes hijacking a vehicle will waKe them up.
Had a super laggy match on PC.

That's it so far. Who's dumbass idea to not have the ability to select a save when you lose a mission?

Caayn

Do units for anyone else sometimes ignore commands when they've got enemies in their line of sight? I can give a unit a a command to move to location X. But if the unit meets an enemy during the relocation it'll ignore my command and stop to attack the enemy. Reissuing the command doesn't always work as the unit tends to prioritize attacking the enemy over my command.

Werd

I looked up the energy value of the starting Blitz armies for some reason.

Top 3 most valuable
Shipmaster's Prowling Marauder x2, 240 energy.
Isabel's Wild Jackrabbit x2 + Hornet, 200 energy.
Forge's Reactive Marines x2, Veteran Jackrabbit, 190 energy.

3 least value
Shipmaster's Ghost x3, 90 energy.
Atriox's Ironclad Hunters + Elite Rangers + Grunts x2, 120 energy.
Anders' Cyclops x2 + Marines x2 + Wolverine, 120 energy.

At the beginning of the game different things matter more (speed primarily) but that's a pretty large disparity at the extremes.

zeox

the fact that shift-number is both add to control group AND remove from control group. who honestly thought that was a good idea?

Tecnniqe

Banned
H5 launch... Whatchu talking bout Willis?
My digital copy was broken during its launch.
Do units for anyone else sometimes ignore commands when they've got enemies in their line of sight? I can give a unit a a command to move to location X. But if the unit meets an enemy during the relocation it'll ignore my command and stop to attack the enemy. Reissuing the command doesn't always work as the unit tends to prioritize attacking the enemy over my command.
Yeah and it's very annoying. Mostly during domination when capturing points you "sacrifice" a unit to capture while the others around attack the enemy either giving you the point or forcing their hand, but the unit would just stand next to it and attack, even after trying to reissue the command until the enemy was dead.

Same with big groups, some units unless given repeat commands will leave the group and go after enemies on their own.

I bought this game off cdkeys last week now all the glitches, crashes and bugs I keep hearing is really making me think I should have waited. I have yet to download it however, but I don't think they do returns lol

Atriox certainly seems badass (that fight against Red Team tho), but I'm massively disappointed that we barely saw his side of the story. Halo Wars 1 showed a ton of Ripa and Regret, made that climactic fight between Forge and Ripa way sweeter. I love stories where you see the villain's side of things. Definitely hoping we see some Atriox/Banished scenes in the DLCs.

Well, a Banished DLC was datamined. So we can hope. I agree though, Atriox himself was hyped up a lot due to that early cutscene, but he barely appeared throughout the rest of the story.

How do I get a Spartan out of a hijacked vehicle?

The game really needs a hold or defense stance. So annoying watching my dumbass units just run off.

Definitely agreed, it doesn't have to be super expansive. But at least give me a guard/hold ground stance. I can't count the amount of times I have wanted a unit to back-off, only for it to re-engage and get itself killed.

Ade

The bugs are staring to get to me.

The game 99% will kill itself in a creative way, often taking the dashboard out following a suspend/resume.

UI elements seem to have life of their own. Very glitchy and confusing when it gives hp bars to things that aren't there.

Cut scenes unlock at random in the theatre.

Some of the ui needs polish, there are people confuses by the tiles vs the small menu up top, and I have done 56% of something according to a tile but I have no idea what that means.

When you open your last pack, a glitched pack often shows up and I've had multiple 4 card packs.

The leader power wheel often does nothing

Just had a blitz game where my two teammates left after losing their first set of units. Ended up the enemy team using condor strikes and scatter bombs constantly.

Really should just have resign be a surrender option.

Select it, rt, rt, y

Odd but it does tell you during a mission how to do it.

Well, I am on the PC version. And the only thing I remember in that regard is that it was to use R (special ability) to hijack it, but not so much on how to exit it.

Ade

Well, I am on the PC version. And the only thing I remember in that regard is that it was to use R (special ability) to hijack it, but not so much on how to exit it.

You select the unit with the Spartan in it, cycle through to just the Spartan and use your special ability to exit it.

You basically ground pound out of the vehicle.

These later levels are just shit. Under the Dark took me an hour and a half on Legendary. It was just fucking bullshit on the last half.

I deployed the first two Kodiaks, so I just had to get pass the last enemy base to deploy the last one. After around 30 minutes of just getting nowhere because they only give you shit units. I decide to see if I can cheese it and just rush the last Kodiak to the point. Nope! You have to destroy the base. However, it was so fucking frustrating. It's the bullshit hero power. The AI can just use their fucking beams anytime they want and just wipe all your guys. You can't even micro against it. Plus they just spam sentinel to heal all their guys. So finally I beat it by just building six Kodiaks and having them sit in the back and just kept having my marines suicide rush their base. Fuck man that was frustrating.

However, that Blur cut scene was fucking good. So it was worth it.

Tecnniqe

Banned
These later levels are just shit. Under the Dark took me an hour and a half on Legendary. It was just fucking bullshit on the last half.

I deployed the first two Kodiaks, so I just had to get pass the last enemy base to deploy the last one. After around 30 minutes of just getting nowhere because they only give you shit units. I decide to see if I can cheese it and just rush the last Kodiak to the point. Nope! You have to destroy the base. However, it was so fucking frustrating. It’s the bullshit hero power. The AI can just use their fucking beams anytime they want and just wipe all your guys. You can’t even micro against it. Plus they just spam sentinel to heal all their guys. So finally I beat it by just building six Kodiaks and having them sit in the back and just kept having my marines suicide rush their base. Fuck man that was frustrating.

However, that Blur cut scene was fucking good. So it was worth it.
That's the mission that bugged out on me during Legendary.
destroyed base and went to deploy last kodiak and it moved and deployed like always but it was still considered mine and the mission refused to trigger win condition. Let's just say I had to restart ... pretty much an hour 10 down the drain.

Blur movie when?! It can't cost a fortune!
it probably does :D :3

Hawk269

I had something similar last night. I had about 20 squads of the flame dudes, issued a command for them to attack, but only half of them would attack. The other 10 looked like they were running in circles, I ended up losing that particular fight, since only 10 of them engaged and the other 10 were chasing each other in a circle.

A patch is needed BADLY for this game. Leader powers are way too over-powered, path issues, MP issues, just really seems like they just shoved the game out. Should of been delayed a month or two to polish shit up.

Danny 117

Another thing that I feel needs addressed is the flaring system. The flare just isn't obvious enough for me on the minimap.
I think they should add the disruption bomb back into the game.
Also does anyone know how to set a global rally point?

Caayn

I had something similar last night. I had about 20 squads of the flame dudes, issued a command for them to attack, but only half of them would attack. The other 10 looked like they were running in circles, I ended up losing that particular fight, since only 10 of them engaged and the other 10 were chasing each other in a circle.

A patch is needed BADLY for this game. Leader powers are way too over-powered, path issues, MP issues, just really seems like they just shoved the game out. Should of been delayed a month or two to polish shit up.
Path finding really needs to be patched. The amount of times I've seen units struggling to move from A to B is mind blowing. (ignoring commands, spinning around, not realizing that they need to move around an object in order to move forward).

It indeed feels like the game should've had more time in the oven. It's a fun game but it doesn't feel like a finished product.
Another thing that I feel needs addressed is the flaring system. The flare just isn't obvious enough for me on the minimap.
Agree, the flare is really easy to miss, even if you were paying attention to the mini-map. It was a lot more visible in HW1.

I also miss that you no longer see what part of the map other players are looking. It was a nice touch in HW1 to be able to see what was keeping your buddy busy.
Also does anyone know how to set a global rally point?
Hold d-pad up?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Just face wrecked 3 AIs

So good
ZP4etMN.jpg

Tecnniqe

Banned
Just got into a blitz match where my team mate disconnected and I didn't receive power or could play ANY cards.

Worked fine for the enemy tho...

Literally beta errors ruining otherwise great experience.

Still love it.

Fuchsdh

Man, the one control change that is still hosing me repeatedly is the moving of global units off the left trigger and on to right trigger double-tap. What does the left trigger get used for? Seems like a weird change.

I've completed the campaign on heroic and played some multiplayer on console. I regret I didn't do the campaign on legendary first time, heroic was harder than expected and there seems to be very little difference as compared to legendary. The way the enemy burst spams all its leader powers in the later is just brutal, it's always the one that immobilizes units caught in the blast radius followed by the death beam. Playing on console makes it practically impossible to not have all your units blob up of ether, which makes them particularilly vulnerable to leader powers. Second part of mission 9 is particularly brutal, where there's only a paltry selection of relatively weak units available to make at the base, and the enemy side has two mini-bosses in addition to their army and leader powers.

PC version is weird. There's practically no hud differences from the Xbox version apart from more control groups, in other words there is practically no hud. Things like unit abilities, the leader powers menu and pausing the game can only be done with the keyboard, or gamepad. It uses the same radial menus that were clearly design for gamepad. It ran well and loading times were much improved over console. I haven't tried multiplayer for this version yet. I also had constant stuttering in the cutscenes, idk if that's partially because I only have half the recommended vram or what.

Lucifon

So I just noticed none of my achievements have popped all day. 3 campaign missions, finishing the game, and who knows what else. I was still getting the packs and they show up on my service record.

edit: Was hoping everything would update if I reset and re-logging in but no. Had saves for the ends of the missions but didn't get back progress on anything like skulls/optional objectives/anything MP and such. It's alright since I hadn't done anything hard, but it would have been pretty annoying had I been doing Legendary.

edit2: Well then I re-did a mission to get the skull/objectives and those didn't count on either the achievements % of show up as completed on the mission list.
So at the current moment, I can't keep playing campaign going for achievements, don't want to play matchmaking vs AI because half the wins count as losses, and don't really want to play Deathmatch as it has the longest games and thus highest chance of being dropped.

I will say after a lull in the middle I enjoyed most of the campaign, and am enjoying the standard MP modes more now that I figured them out a bit. And still like Blitz a lot.

Are you on Xbox? Because that's been a bug for a while. Uncommon one but a pain in the backside when it happens. Fully reboot your console to fix.

R aka Bon

But the beta was fine. Blitz ran great and 3v3 had no issues or disconnects, at least not near this level.

But MCC, H5 launch and now this, HOW?

Wait what? There is no denying that the pc port has problems, but Halo 5 and wars 2 are very playable, on XB1 at least. But i assume you were being sarcastic, no?

What server issues, been fine since launch for me, unless something is happening right now.

Can only echo this experience as well.

BTW does anyone now what happens when your units level up in Blitz mode, and would you really describe the mode as having a p2w feature?

Lom1lo

In what modes are people having problems ?

I never had a connection issue (3 vs ai), but I made only 10 matches or so.

Just got my code from my cdkeys preorder. Preloading it on my and Xbox at the moment. How does playing an RTS with a controller feel with this game?

Memory

Just got my code from my cdkeys preorder. Preloading it on my and Xbox at the moment. How does playing an RTS with a controller feel with this game?

For this game I much prefer it to KB/m if I'm honest. Its not as twitchy as StarCraft 2 and has less micro management so you don't feel like every millisecond is vital.

Play the short tutorials and see what you think.

Top Bottom