• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 |OT| Warranty For Suckers

Valhalla...New Map?

217403_asdfs.jpg

bleaker

Decided I hate my wallet and got the Ultimate Edition. I got it for 60 bucks though, so go me! Mostly playing Definitive Edition but I did try the first mission of this, and so far it seems like the natural evolution of Halo Wars. I do miss the Halo 3 designs though.

rdytoroll

Three questions:

1. Can you play vs A.I in singleplayer battles (outside of the campaign ofc)?

2. Are there a lot of bugs in the Xbox One version (singleplayer stuff)?

3. How long is the campaign on normal?

Caayn

Three questions:

There's the standard Skirmish available in two flavours: Deatmatch and Domination (Capture and hold the most points for X time to win) with up to 5 AI players. In addition to that you can play Blitz Firefight solo against the AI.

I haven't encountered game breaking bugs yet. It doesn't feel as polished as it should though.

rdytoroll

My first walktroutgh was 6 hours 55 minutes.

There's the standard Skirmish available in two flavours: Deatmatch and Domination (Capture and hold the most points for X time to win) with up to 5 AI players. In addition to that you can play Blitz Firefight solo against the AI.

I haven't encountered game breaking bugs yet. It doesn't feel as polished as it should though.

Thanks guys!

m23

Three questions:

3. How long is the campaign on normal?

You can skirmish against AI. There is also blitz firefight.

I had a couple loading issues with the Xbox version where the campaign wouldn't launch. Had to restart the game. Nothing noteworthy aside from that from my experience.

Campaign I think took me around 7-8 hours. (Half my game was on heroic)

B3N1

Wow, One Three Zero on Legendary. What a dumb fucking mission. Defend this piece of shit area for no reason for 20 minutes with little to no resources.

Pretty poor campaign so far compared to the first game.

I had trouble with both that and Mission 11 on Heroic. Had to go back to normal on Mission 11.

Did the LASO achievement on 1-3-0 yesterday, it was rather fun than annoying. The skull that's damaging everyone constantly, but not the Spartans helps a lot.

So frustrating that I just can't play the game currently, but could easily replay Halo Wars 1 several times Solo and Co-Op on all various difficulties. Heck even Legendary was a non-issue for me and I helped several people with it and even 100%'ed the game again from December to January.

In Halo Wars 2, you are just getting fucked by the cheap and unbalanced AI even on Normal. I feel like the biggest casual admitting this, but I couldn't even beat Mission 11 in co-op on Normal and to save us frustration, we switched to Easy and still weren't able to get the Bonus Objectives done.

Feel so disappointed in this game, because it's just not a good sequel. So many disappointing things about it.

I'm still scared of how hard it'll be on Legendary, but Easy + Optional + Bonus was quite a challange to plan. Best way to me so far is to take the Scorpion to the SE side of Bravo base, drop a turret on the NE entrance, and steal the southern Wraith in West entrance with a Spartan, the other won't attack you. Then you have 2 bases to build from, both fairly close to capture points.

Vultures will melt Banished base, and the farthest point can be held with a Spartan or ODSTs until the Sentinel arrives to clean up (it can't see garrisoned troops), if not, Turret Drop is always there to help.

I have to say I'm really enjoying the 3rd playthrough, this time on Legendary with the positive skulls on. Map/script knowledge helps a lot in coming up with tactics. Then again, I'm not that far ahead yet.

Valhalla...New Map?
Dunno much about game dev, but seeing the files context, it rather seems like a codename or something. Like, what's in that xsd?

depward

Slowly getting a handle on Blitz. Definitely see it as a quick pick up and play mode.

Can lead to some absolutely crazy skirmishes. Which is good fun!

Let's keep perpetuating the lie that the Blood Gulch bloodline is the best BTB map.

Sidewinder >>>> Blood Gulch
Avalanche >>>>> Valhalla

BondFancy

Really enjoying team deathmatch. Been some crazy games, definitely starting to hit my stride with Atroix. However, that sentinel strat is fucking bonkers. Ran into yesterday and one person sweeped all 3 of us. Unless you have all anti air you are gonna have a bad time.

Also, am I the only one who misses controlling covenant leaders?

Fuchsdh

Really enjoying team deathmatch. Been some crazy games, definitely starting to hit my stride with Atroix. However, that sentinel strat is fucking bonkers. Ran into yesterday and one person sweeped all 3 of us. Unless you have all anti air you are gonna have a bad time.

Also, am I the only one who misses controlling covenant leaders?

Yeah I've been getting hit with the Sentinels a lot, and even prepping with Wolverines and marines I feel like I still get stomped. Wishing I had Vampires in this game because there's no way to beat the Sentinel mobility. Feel like you're better off hoping the Sentinel's teammate hasn't been doing what he should and going on the offensive and hope they either pull back the Sentinels or commit and you wipe them faster.

BondFancy

Yeah I've been getting hit with the Sentinels a lot, and even prepping with Wolverines and marines I feel like I still get stomped. Wishing I had Vampires in this game because there's no way to beat the Sentinel mobility. Feel like you're better off hoping the Sentinel's teammate hasn't been doing what he should and going on the offensive and hope they either pull back the Sentinels or commit and you wipe them faster.
Exactly vampires and cryo bomb were great counters to stuff like this. Similar to when Hawks ruled the meta until they buffed cryo bombs.

They should also add a leader disruption bomb like hw1 to reduce the reliance on leader powers as a crutch.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Let's keep perpetuating the lie that the Blood Gulch bloodline is the best BTB map.

Sidewinder >>>> Blood Gulch
Avalanche >>>>> Valhalla

Blood Gulch is the best all-rounder, though. Better than Sidewinder for KotH, Rocket Race.

Got my rear-end handed too me on the 3rd mission (Heroic)

Gotta get back into multi-tasking better

Also, I finally understand LOCAL UNITS, ALL UNITS

Also, the art style is glorious.

Just watched the first cutscene. About to dive in.

Already got chills... This is one of the top mysteries in the Halo universe for me, what happened to this ship and its crew. Excited.

m23

Just watched the first cutscene. About to dive in.

Already got chills... This is one of the top mysteries in the Halo universe for me, what happened to this ship and its crew. Excited.

Wait til you get closer to the end of the game. This one cut scene will blow you away, best cinematic in a Halo game in a very long time.

nekkid

I keep hearing about how awesome these cut scenes are, but I'm what appears to be half way through and I've only seen one so far...

And to be perfectly honest it didn't look up to the standard of Blur's previous Halo work.

m23

I keep hearing about how awesome these cut scenes are, but I'm what appears to be half way through and I've only seen one so far...

And to be perfectly honest it didn't look up to the standard of Blur's previous Halo work.

Aren't there 3 cut scenes right at the start of the game? One opening cinematic, one right after the first tutorial part, and then another after the
chase

Unless you mean awesome cut scenes and not cut scenes in general. I enjoyed them all however.

nekkid

Aren't there 3 cut scenes right at the start of the game? One opening cinematic, one right after the first tutorial part, and then another after the
chase

Unless you mean awesome cut scenes and not cut scenes in general. I enjoyed them all however.

Yeah, ok. But since then there's been nothing.

nekkid

There definitely aren't as many as Wars 1.

Yeah, it's a bit disappointing, tbh.

And they look more like high-quality in-engine renderings using the Halo 5 engine, than what Blur did themselves for 5.

Werd

If it was all on budget I do think they would have been better off pulling a minute or two of cinematic here and there to have something in between around missions or 4-5. The gap is conspicuous. And the consistent structure in HW1 was more enjoyable overall despite the cutscenes here still being very good and similar total length.

I would have appreciated getting a look at
Atriox reacting/planning or something, he's not a big enough part of the game
after the first set of cutscenes.

Tecnniqe

Banned
If it was all on budget I do think they would have been better off pulling a minute or two of cinematic here and there to have something in between around missions or 4-5. The gap is conspicuous. And the consistent structure in HW1 was more enjoyable overall despite the cutscenes here still being very good and similar total length.

I would have appreciated getting a look at
Atriox reacting/planning or something, he's not a big enough part of the game
after the first set of cutscenes.

Yeah, the gap was very noticeable but in the end the quality and length was there in total IMO. I'd like more but I kinda doubt the DLC will contain any.

Fuchsdh

Exactly vampires and cryo bomb were great counters to stuff like this. Similar to when Hawks ruled the meta until they buffed cryo bombs.

They should also add a leader disruption bomb like hw1 to reduce the reliance on leader powers as a crutch.

Yeah not sure how a leader disruption would work in this game just because everyone has those powers and they're stuff like summoning units as opposed to just special "spells". I think to a degree it's balanced by the fact that the only way to stack your army is if you've saved enough in the bank, and that means you won't have money afterwards to resupply/you'll have burned all your leader powers on a single push.

But a cryo bomb would be most welcome.

This is a few days old but I haven't seen it posted here yet:

First DLC commander is Morgan Kinsamo. Apparently her abilities are focused on fire based anti-infantry, which makes sense as she appears to be a hellbringer.

qehPvpM.jpg

These achievements for her were also revealed in the prima guide:

Twisted Firestarter - 10GS: Play three matches as Morgan Kinsano (Multiplayer, Skirmish, or Blitz).
I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire - 10GS: Burn 50 infantry units with Kinsano's Flamewall ability (Multiplayer, Skirmish, or Blitz).
The Roof Is on Fire - 10GS: Kill 100 units with Inferno (Multiplayer, Skirmish, or Blitz).

Tecnniqe

Banned

First DLC commander is Morgan Kinsamo. Apparently her abilities are focused on fire based anti-infantry, which makes sense as she appears to be a hellbringer.

qehPvpM.jpg

Twisted Firestarter - 10GS: Play three matches as Morgan Kinsano (Multiplayer, Skirmish, or Blitz).
I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire - 10GS: Burn 50 infantry units with Kinsano's Flamewall ability (Multiplayer, Skirmish, or Blitz).
The Roof Is on Fire - 10GS: Kill 100 units with Inferno (Multiplayer, Skirmish, or Blitz).
She will be mine.

Hellbats assemble!

sam777

Just played some 2 v 2 Blitz games with my brother currenlty on a 4 win streak. I am enjoying Blitz much more than I expected.

R aka Bon

Is one of the advantages of being an early adaptor getting a lot of rare achievements? because i have gotten so many more than i use to.

My snipers in the garrisons were clearly not attacking the enemy, i don't remember if that was the case for all enemy units or some, but they definitely didn't bother targeting the enemies passing by when they were in their garrisons, doesn't seem normal...

RoKKeR

Just played some 2 v 2 Blitz games with my brother currenlty on a 4 win streak. I am enjoying Blitz much more than I expected.

I do enjoy how quick and accessible the games are, even though today I noticed that the ridges are still being heavily abused. I mean, it's a good strategy, but damn if it isn't annoying as shit and difficult to counter once a team gets established.

B3N1

Fuuuuck!

I'm afraid to start a new match.

My Weeklies also got renewed, or I don't know. I had 2 yesterday, and left Storm there. Now I have a 9-match Anders and Forge.

Strange. Played versus this guy who also used Anders. I didn't get contested at any of the nodes so I pretty much had them all in the early game + the resources scattered around the map. His forces never showed up.. I had plenty of resources to spam Sentinels the second I got to the leader power.

I mass quite a few and move them over to his base. He has pretty much double mine. How? I literally had complete control over nodes, my base was pretty much all resources except for the armory and I was spamming sentinels + upgrading logistics real quick. Such a strange thing.

m23

qehPvpM.jpg

Nice. Thanks for posting, I didn't know this. I really have to try other leaders out more, I've mostly been sticking with Forge and Atriox.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Couldn't even get through the tutorials without a game breaking bug. Advanced tutorial, taking control of the tanks to wipe out the enemy infantry, and despite calls of "engaging", they say and did nothing. Had to restart. Second time went off without a hitch, but I hope this isn't a common occurence...

Grisby

Man, out of the five games I've played against the AI, me and my player teammates have only managed to win 1. They're ruthless.

Also, RTS matches can take a longgggggg time or at least feel like it. I hated to do it, but I had to quit out of a match because me and a teammate were down and our last guy only had his one base left. He seemed to kind of just give up and ended up sitting there waiting for the AI to finish him off.

Only twenty something minutes passed and they never came. I just had to exit as I was browsing gaf.

On another note I finished the campaign yesterday. I liked it, but I agree it wasn't as memorable as HW1.

The story also didn't feel like was paced as good as it's predecessor either and I was disappointed that you (end spoilz)
never got to fight Atriox. Who, in one cutscene, was made to be a stronger and more desirable villain than anything out of H4 and H5 really (wasn't the biggest fan of the didact or warden).

Kind of stinks too that the (end spoilz)
Spirit is basically SOL. Again. I really like the crew and their story, so it sucks that we might not get
a conclusion until whenever Halo Wars 3 comes out (if it does). Although I suppose we might get it through DLC.

Still, I liked and had fun with the campaign. I bought the season deal to support it and play the extra missions down the road.

I'm an RTS newbie who sucks ass at multitasking. Not sure how much I'll continue with the MP (still want to try out Blitz), but I think the devs did a good job for a casual like me. There really is a great thrill building up all your little dudes and then sending them to destroy a base, and often the little skirmishes really will seem like a 'war' played out on a small scale.

Some observations:
-Sometimes the AI just seems to stop or can;t really find their way around certain areas.
-Music is great. Haab, Trifon and White did a great job.
-Title screen remind me of the old and awesome Halo 3 diorama commercial. Great.
-Colorful graphics. Art style was really awesome and it set itself apart from 343's stuff.
-The devs did a great, and I mean great, job on all of the little unit dialogues. Different accents and genders for all the troops and all of the little anecdotes that they say really made them feel 'alive', so to speak. Nice job.
-Blur cutscene were cool, although they should have been spread out more. I don't mind the talking heads but it felt like there should have been one at least in the middle or something.
-Trying to skim over some posts but is it known as to whether or not Anders (ending spoilers)
ring is Cortana's ring at the end of Halo 5?

Kind if want to finally get my gaming pc built and load up Starcraft 2. The only other RTS I've ever really had the desire to seek out and play.

Oh good. My game (PC) has gone back to crashing randomly upon load. Cool. Fun. I love video games.

And when it's not crashing on load completion it is loading infinitely and when it's not doing that it's not even launching (just hanging on black screen). And then it's suddenly working fine.

lurv it

BondFancy

Sentinels are broken af, started using them. Took down 3 scarabs and only lost about a handful of them. Only takes 10 minutes to build a fully upgraded army capable of killing everything, especially bases. They are like the hawks of yesteryear.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Sentinels are broken af, started using them. Took down 3 scarabs and only lost about a handful of them. Only takes 10 minutes to build a fully upgraded army capable of killing everything, especially bases. They are like the hawks of yesteryear.
Do they hold up vs banshee with plasma upgrade?

Top Bottom