• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloFest |OT| 10 Years of Halo - Streaming Panels, Grunt Plushies, The future of Halo

ElRenoRaven

Dax01 said:
I think finding a "cure" for her rampancy before she becomes evil would be a huge, uh – what's the phrase? – cop out. And if they avoid the threat of rampancy, that would be another huge cop out.

Ideally, I would have Cortana's rampancy story go like this:

Halo 4, becomes increasingly unstable then becomes a threat at the end -> Halo 5, main antagonist, tries to kill you and whatnot until you find some way to save her in the end -> Halo 6, you and her try to clean up whatever messes she made when she was rampant.

We've seen the evil AI before, a lot of the time, in videogames. But with Cortana I think it would be different because how fleshed out she is as a character and her relationship with the player over the three main games.

Good point and I like your idea of an arc with redemption at the end.

feel

Screw you Dax!!!

I want her in my suit providing guidance and warmth with her soothing voice. They've been finding ways to make her not be there for most of the franchise and I've fucking had enough of that bullshit!!

Raide

Bring back the Flood! *runs*

I am sure the later Halo games will be prequels explaining more of Master Chiefs early life and missions. .

StalkerUKCG said:
What is evil cortana gunna use to fight me with? Potentially 4 games with sentinel like constructs as the enemy? no thanks
The Forerunners have dabbled with biological-mechanical lifeforms before; Engineers. Besides, given whatever position she might be in, she may not have anything to fight you with. Think GLADoS in Portal. She could make it harder for you to find your way around the Shield World. But I can't really speculate much beyond that because, well, we don't know what else 343 is planning.

PNut

Banned
So Bungie panel in 20 minutes?

And I hope that Straw Dogs movie is the biggest flop of the year. So damn annoying.

Letters said:
Screw you Dax!!!

I want her in my suit providing guidance and warmth with her soothing voice. They've been finding ways to make her not be there for most of the franchise and I've fucking had enough of that bullshit!!
Fuck your weird fetishes. I have a story to think about. :p

Booshka

So in the future we could possibly have a GLaDoS vs Cortana rampant AI battle.

Portal 2 Spoilers:
and a Wheatley vs Guilty Spark battle on the side

I'd be happy with that Dax, BUT only if 343 went all in on it and not cop the h-e-double-hockey-sticks out like Bungie did in Halo 3.

Talk about disappointing...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Dax01 said:
I think finding a "cure" for her rampancy before she becomes evil would be a huge, uh – what's the phrase? – cop out. And if they avoid the threat of rampancy, that would be another huge cop out.

Ideally, I would have Cortana's rampancy story go like this:

Halo 4, becomes increasingly unstable then becomes a threat at the end -> Halo 5, main antagonist, tries to kill you and whatnot until you find some way to save her in the end -> Halo 6, you and her try to clean up whatever messes she made when she was rampant.

Or it would be: Halo 4, becomes increasingly unstable then becomes a threat at the end -> Halo 5 and 6 main antagonist and you save her at the end (or she dies...interesting thought).

Whatever works best for other stories 343 has planned.

We've seen the evil AI before, a lot of the time, in videogames. But with Cortana I think it would be different because how fleshed out she is as a character and her relationship with the player over the three main games.
I don't see her ever becoming the main antagonist, but I could definitely see her rampancy becoming one of the central crises in the new trilogy in some way. Besides, we already know that the main adversary in Halo 4 is going to be "an ancient evil". Cortana might take issue with you calling her ancient. :p

I do, however, think Cortana "dying" is a very likely possibility. Halo 3 and the Halo 4 trailer both emphasized the close, intimate bond between Cortana and Chief. I feel like that's a good set-up for ripping our hearts out and killing her off. If that turns out to be true, I'll be crying my ass off more than anyone else, hah.

Letters said:
heavy dose of the most amazing panel dynamic ever incoming!! Brace for impact guys!!!
YESSSSSSS!

PS: If the feed isn't working for some folks, try refreshing the page.

PSS: Urk is an awesome mod. Nice energy.

senador

Banned
I'm getting some weird slideshow/warping stuff going on. Refreshing to see if it fixes it and now Straw Dogs is playing over the panel. Grrrr, stupid IGN.

Edit: Fuh, these guys are awesome. I'm gonna miss 'em on Halo. :(

ZalinKrow

Zeouterlimits said:
Feed refuses to work for me... at all. Ridiculous and very frustrating.

Tell me about it. I'm getting nothing at all. And I didn't yesterday either. I've pretty much given up on hoping to watch it live. I look forward to when they're posted later though heh.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
ZalinKrow said:
Tell me about it. I'm getting nothing at all. And I didn't yesterday either. I've pretty much given up on hoping to watch it live. I look forward to when they're posted later though heh.

If you reload the page a few times it seems to work.

ElRenoRaven

Zeouterlimits said:
I click the watch live feed button, nothing happens in any of my 3 browsers....

>:-(

Wow. Sorry to hear some of you guys are missing out. So far it's interesting. They're talking about storytelling and how the settings etc try to help further that.

Oh and Marty teases that he has the original Halo 2 ending stuff locked away never to be seen. Color me sad.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
PsychoRaven said:
Wow. Sorry to hear some of you guys are missing out. So far it's interesting. They're talking about storytelling and how the settings etc try to help further that.

Oh and Marty teases that he has the original Halo 2 ending stuff locked away never to be seen. Color me sad.

Would love them to make the Halo 2 ending the way it should have been (or let 343 using that script) and put it out as an alternate ending to a Halo 2 Anniversary Edition. :p

Edit: Thanks for the update Arthur.

ZalinKrow

Deadly Cyclone said:
If you reload the page a few times it seems to work.

I've tried that :( I'm not really sure what's up with it. It just doesn't seem to even be trying to work haha. Thanks though, I guess I'll just stay tuned on this thread and pick up what I can and then watch the video whenever it's posted :)

feel

DAMMIT! It keeps stopping to buffer every 10 seconds. And then it just syncs at random and makes me miss some of it. Just let us choose a lower quality!

Booshka

aegies said:
Hey guys. The convention center is having serious bandwidth/network issues. We're working on it.
lol sounds like the problems MLG had at past events, time to invest in a Satellite Truck!

ElRenoRaven

Well so far so good for me. This really is an interesting panel. Hopefully it gets put up quick so you can see it. I love watching the Bungie guys talk about making these games. I could sit and listen to them talk about it all day.

aegies

Booshka said:
lol sounds like the problems MLG had at past events, time to invest in a Satellite Truck!

There's nowhere to park one near the convention center or annex that would make it feasible. We checked.

feel

Smooth now.

edit- jinxed it

The syncing is the most infuriating thing for me, I wouldn't mind it stopping to buffer every 20 seconds, but when it jumps ahead and makes me miss 15 seconds of it.. AAARGHHHHH

ElRenoRaven

HAHA. They make a crack about cannon being so perfect and no holes to be found. So even they acknowledge that there are some holes. Now talking about how they were arguing about how far Instillation 0 had to be to be safe.

Wow they have a style bible too. And shit Joe and Marty going back and forth. This is funny.

PsychoRaven said:
HAHA. They make a crack about cannon being so perfect and no holes to be found. So even they acknowledge that there are some holes. Now talking about how they were arguing about how far Instillation 0 had to be to be safe.

Wow they have a style bible too. And shit Joe and Marty going back and forth. This is funny.
Joe and Marty were the best part of the commentary on the Halo 3 Legendary Edition, too. Jason was awesome there, too. Need to rewatch that. :lol

ElRenoRaven

Marty likes to score the game like a movie when possible in that he'll wait till as close to it being finished as he can. Sadly the way game production works makes that impossible most of the time.

Top Bottom