• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloFest |OT| 10 Years of Halo - Streaming Panels, Grunt Plushies, The future of Halo

PooBone

OK, here's a serious and disconcerting question for anyone at 343. I was watching this video with Arthur Gies and Kevin Grace going through 343 Guilty Spark, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiULVRFIikw

First of all, there's no shotgun where he picks it up early on. I figure that might be a build thing for the demo to show the shotgun model. But the bigger issue: in classic mode, why the hell are all the jackals carrying green shields? Their shields were yellow and blue, not green. If the game is supposed to be exactly the same, why is this one thing different, and what else could be different that we haven't seen?

PooBone

senador said:
Ha, its in the OP:

That to me implies they will be showing it, but maybe not. I don't know where the schedule in the OP came from though.

Ugh, that is my favorite level and I was hoping to not see it til I play it.
While it's not my favorite level, I do think it will be the most graphically stunning.

ElRenoRaven

PooBone said:
OK, here's a serious and disconcerting question for anyone at 343. I was watching this video with Arthur Gies and Kevin Grace going through 343 Guilty Spark, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiULVRFIikw

First of all, there's no shotgun where he picks it up early on. I figure that might be a build thing for the demo to show the shotgun model. But the bigger issue: in classic mode, why the hell are all the jackals carrying green shields? Their shields were yellow and blue, not green. If the game is supposed to be exactly the same, why is this one thing different, and what else could be different that we haven't seen?

You mean the shotgun doesn't show up or it isn't supposed to be there? If the later on easy there is a shotgun there.

And Panel is on. Meh. This one sounds extremely boring.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

Links added today:

Kotaku | Look What They’re Selling in the Halo Store and Who’s Helping to Sell It (video)
Youtube | The Xbox Duke Controller Modded for the Xbox 360 (video)
MSNBC | Our First Halo Hands-On (video)
Joystiq | Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary preview: Like falling off a log (text)
Destructoid | Hamza checks out all the sweet offerings of HaloFest (video)
Destructoid | Flood try their hands at Halo-themed Fruit Ninja (video)
Youtube | Dan Ayoub Interview (video)
Youtube | Prisoner Noob Gameplay (video)
Halo Waypoint | Mega 64 – Early Anniversary (video)
Youtube | Community Honours 343 Industries (video)
Youtube | Louis Wu recieives the first annual Claude Errera Community Award (video)
IGN | Halo Anniversary – Blue Team’s Kill Streak (video)

Collecting all the links and news all in the hub. The news seems to be rather slow today (any day would be slow after yesterday) but the links keep rolling in.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
PooBone said:
The shields are exactly the same. I'd say you need to get your eyes checked, but blue and yellow light make green, so maybe it's an easy mistake to make.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
PsychoRaven said:
Yup this panel is putting me to sleep.

But the toys are pretty sweet!

The correction sheet from 343 to Square-Enix was fascinating, as is listening to how each product manufacturer handles their company's unique processes.

ElRenoRaven

Dani said:
But the toys are pretty sweet!

The correction sheet from 343 to Square-Enix was fascinating, as is listening to how each product manufacturer handles their company's unique processes.

Yea. The 10th anniversary stuff looks cool. I'll give them that.

PooBone

PsychoRaven said:
You mean the shotgun doesn't show up or it isn't supposed to be there? If the later on easy there is a shotgun there.

And Panel is on. Meh. This one sounds extremely boring.
ah okay. I don't know if I've ever played that level on easy.

Anyone have any idea about the green shields vs yellow/blue shields?

ElRenoRaven

PooBone said:

It's an easy to miss that. I tend to play on all the different difficulties. In fact that's one thing that has always bugged me about the harder difficulties. They have all that ammo and no weapon for it there. Just seems off. At least remove the ammo laying around.

I seem to recall someone saying, in response to a video posted, that 343 got rid of the rails on the Halo. Is this true? What was it? I can't seem to find it.

ElRenoRaven

Dax01 said:
I seem to recall someone saying, in response to a video posted, that 343 got rid of the rails on the Halo. Is this true? What was it? I can't seem to find it.

I haven't seen that yet. In fact the other day on their video they showed the back button being pressed with title screen and it clearly had rails on the new version still.

Dax01 said:

I think it was Kevin Grace in the 343 walkthorugh mentioning the impact of fan discussion (someone correct me if I'm wrong). He refers to it but doesn't linger on the topic IIRC.

The rails are still there in the version they're demoing at Halofest (you could see it during the Anniversary panel).

MrBig

PooBone said:

Shield colors denote rank. I'm pretty sure all ranks are dropped down to the lowest level on Easy.

e: yes, I just loaded it up and confirmed this.

PsychoRaven said:
I haven't seen that yet. In fact the other day on their video they showed the back button being pressed with title screen and it clearly had rails on the new version still.
ChenK said:
I think it was Kevin Grace in the 343 walkthorugh mentioning the impact of fan discussion (someone correct me if I'm wrong). He refers to it but doesn't linger on the topic IIRC.

The rails are still there in the version they're demoing at Halofet (you could see it during the Anniversary panel).
Bah. No!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
PsychoRaven said:
So what you're saying is I'm not missing anything since I turned it off about half way through.

Yeah, all the interesting stuff was discussed in the first half. Then they started giving out free stuff. They are over the time limit and it seems like they just remembered to take questions from the floor just now.

ElRenoRaven

Dani said:
Yeah, all the interesting stuff was discussed in the first half. Then they started giving out free stuff. They are over the time limit and it seems like they just remembered to take questions from the floor just now.

Jeez. How sad. Only panel I turned off. Thank god the next one starts in 24 mins and should be a lot better.

ElRenoRaven

Dani said:
Halo Universe Fiction panel up next. Lots of talking about words!

Yup. Probably so. Still should be better then let's quiz you about our guest. lol

And yea don't hink I've said it but great job like always man.

Did they show off any new products at the toy panel? Sounds like I didnt miss much but I wouldn't mind knowing whats coming out.

Also, thanks Dani for composing all those links at FUD!

ElRenoRaven

Demoncarnotaur said:
Did they show off any new products at the toy panel? Sounds like I didnt miss much but I wouldn't mind knowing whats coming out.

A few things like their next series of Reach figures and some of their Halo Anniversary figures. Everything was shown in slide form. You didn't miss much at all.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Letters said:
Hey Dani, once again, thank you so much for the amazing halofest hub on FUD.

Demoncarnotaur said:

<3

Just glad folks are finding it useful.

They did show off some new stuff from three seperate toy ranges, Square-Enix, Megabloks and McFarland and hinted there's some stuff down the pipe for Halo 4 and beyond.

For some reason, I don't like Karen Traviss. I'm sure she's a wonderful person, but what I've seen and heard from her just bores me and doesn't inspire me with confidence.

She's like a female Graeme Devine: I loathed his appearances in ViDocs.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Blue Ninja said:
For some reason, I don't like Karen Traviss. I'm sure she's a wonderful person, but what I've seen and heard from her just bores me and doesn't inspire me with confidence.

I like her, she sounds like her past writing experiences and work experiences lend well to war-type novels and things like Halo.

OuterWorldVoice said:
I am here, sitting at the side of the stage.
He's probably aiming a fully functioning, bloomless DMR at the writers as they're talking, ready to intervene the moment they spoil too much.

Either that, or its a watergun.

Deadly Cyclone said:
I like her, she sounds like her past writing experiences and work experiences lend well to war-type novels and things like Halo.
I definitely respect the work she's done and I'm looking forward to her novel, but I just don't like hearing her talk for some reason. :lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Blue Ninja said:

She's very blunt about her creative processes and her mechanical approach to planning can seem off-putting.

I wasn't a fan of her creative direction for some of her Star Wars stuff but to be honest I've been impressed with her confidence with Glasslands and the issues she's talked about now on the panel and during Comic-Con. Plus, I finally got around to reading her entry in Evolutions, so I'm quite optimistic surrounding her where I wasn't before.

Dani said:
She's very blunt about her creative processes and her mechanical approach to planning can seem off-putting.

I wasn't a fan of her creative direction for some of her Star Wars stuff but to be honest I've been impressed with her confidence with Glasslands and the issues she's talked about now on the panel and during Comic-Con. Plus, I finally got around to reading her entry in Evolutions, so I'm quite optimistic surrounding her where I wasn't before.
Pretty much sums up my feelings. I liked her Evolutions story, too.

Also, :lol at the Greys attacking.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
LOL, Spartans owning the Plants vs Zombies zombies.

Karen's new book sounds great. I'm having a hard time just into Cryptum, I can't seem to get sucked in by the forerunner stuff, does it pick up?

ElRenoRaven

Deadly Cyclone said:

Karen's new book sounds great. I'm having a hard time just into Cryptum, I can't seem to get sucked in by the forerunner stuff, does it pick up?

So that's what those were? Geez.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Deadly Cyclone said:

Considerably so. Stick with it. The book does a lot of world building to ease you into the Forerunner society and culture and acquaint you with the characters before taking off.

ElRenoRaven

OuterWorldVoice said:
not rails. Fins. Dissipate heat energy from torsional and rotational forces.

Whatever they are they just don't look right for some reason. But it's ok. And don't run away Frank. Please don't run away.

Top Bottom