• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloFest |OT| 10 Years of Halo - Streaming Panels, Grunt Plushies, The future of Halo

cory021 said:
Is Gamma Station what Condemned is supposed to be? Or it it something different?
Yep, Condemned takes place on Gamma Station.

Also, :lol at Frankie. I concur, HaloGAF needs a shout-out. :lol

EDIT: Whoo, finally they pronounce Sanheili right. :lol

feel

Was about to say for Frankie to do this
r0b05s.jpg

just when he stepped into the crowd with a box of Cryptums all Oprah-like

edit- Halogaf needs to be mentioned by SOMEONE before this weekend is over

And so far the gaf guys over there might as well not have gone as far as the rest of us is concerned. Complete no shows so far other than those Devin pics :/

cory021

Neo Member
Blue Ninja said:
Yep, Condemned takes place on Gamma Station.

Also, :lol at Frankie. I concur, HaloGAF needs a shout-out. :lol

EDIT: Whoo, finally they pronounce Sanheili right. :lol
Yeah that's what I thought. What did Chief do up there? I cant remember...

ElRenoRaven

See I want to like her but that is what I don't like. I don't write for franchises I know anything about. That leaves a lot of room for major conflicts.

PsychoRaven said:
See I want to like her but that is what I don't like. I don't write for franchises I know anything about. That leaves a lot of room for major conflicts.
Right on, bro. Right on.

cory021 said:
Yeah that's what I thought. What did Chief do up there? I cant remember...
An ONI Prowler had docked to the station when the Covenant attacked it. The Prowler's databanks hadn't been wiped, so the Chief and his squad were ordered to destroy it so the Covenant couldn't get the location of Earth from it.

Dani said:
Loving the audience questions so far. So nerdy, so awesome.
This is the best Q&A sessions so far, and it's not even over! These questions are so nerdy because to ask a question they have to be well-versed in the fiction.

@Frankie, never thought of technical reasons for the fins before. I just thought it was an aesthetic change for change's sake.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
PsychoRaven said:

Well yes and no, I actually love this approach.

She of course is getting insight from Bungie, 343, the writing team, etc, etc.

The way she approaches it gives her a completely objective and fresh approach at the series whereas someone deep into Halo might write an amazing book, but they may not see something someone with a completely objective approach would have.

Ken

A27_StarWolf said:
What did this author do with Star Wars?

Is Halo Cryptum good?

If you're talking about Karen Traviss, the only SW book I read by her was Republic Commando: Hard Contact. Thought it was pretty good.

She seems to have written a few more Republic Commando books. No idea on what other books she's written.

cory021

Neo Member
PsychoRaven said:
I can see why should would do that. I'm sure if you associate your characters with video game characters, it might make you write differently. I'm not sure how differently, but I'm sure it would skew the writing somehow.

Although there has to be some sort of Halo-proofreader that knows everything about the fiction since she claims to never have played the games.

ElRenoRaven

Dax01 said:
This is the best Q&A sessions so far, and it's not even over! These questions are so nerdy because to ask a question they have to be well-versed in the fiction.

@Frankie, never though of technical reasons for the fins before. I just thought it was an aesthetic change for change's sake.

Yea. This Q&A without a doubt so far has been good. Hopefully it stays that way.

Frankie is so prepping the cattle prod isn't he?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Karen is very good at explaining her processes, she is impressing me quite a bit.

For those that have read Cryptum, does it pick up after the first chapter or so? I can't seem to get into it...

ElRenoRaven

Good god she's long winded isn't she?

Deadly Cyclone said:
Karen is very good at explaining her processes, she is impressing me quite a bit.

For those that have read Cryptum, does it pick up after the first chapter or so? I can't seem to get into it...

Honestly I can't say I much cared for it. It seemed really slow most of the way through for me.

Deadly Cyclone said:

It builds and builds until the end and then it's just, "OH MAH GOD HOLY CRAP!"

PsychoRaven said:
Good god she's long winded isn't she?

Haha I was thinking the same thing.

Still, cant wait for Glasslands! Its sounding pretty good.

Deadly Cyclone said:

It may be slower, but I loved it. Really awesome story.

Deadly Cyclone said:

It takes a while to get going. Its first chapters really bombard the reader with information.

I think Traviss' answer just killed the other's chance at a question. :lol

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Demoncarnotaur said:
It may be slower, but I loved it. Really awesome story.

Cool. The issue I have with it is what one person asked Greg in questions, he does a great job at leaving you completely clueless as to what anything is as we have no preconceived notion of who/what the forerunners really are.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Cool. The issue I have with it is what one person asked Greg in questions, he does a great job at leaving you completely clueless as to what anything is as we have no preconceived notion of who/what the forerunners really are.
And I think that's a good thing. A lot of what's appealing about the Forerunners is the mystery and awe that surrounds them.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Dax01 said:
And I think that's a good thing. A lot of what's appealing about the Forerunners is the mystery and awe that surrounds them.

I agree, but it does also make for a harder read, as you really cannot comprehend what the things are you are reading about.

Deadly Cyclone said:

After the fist chapter I put it down for a couple of months, but I finally decided to finish it, and by the end I was pissed it wasnt longer. It wound up being one of the better Halo books IMO.

IGN player: that music.

"When you first saw Halo, were you blinded by its majesty?"
"Blinded?"
"Paralyzed? Dumbstruck?"
"No."
"Yet the Humans were able to evade your ships, land on the sacred ring, and desecrate it with their filthy footsteps!"

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
PsychoRaven said:
Nice that they're only showing 343 GS again.

Yeah, third time. GameCom, yesterday and today. Dan is reciting the same script, including the exact pauses for applause, with the dude playing almost exactly the same, stopping and looking in the same places.

Demo has ended when he goes down the elevator each time. Wonder if it will be longer this time.

ElRenoRaven

Dani said:
Yeah, third time. GameCom, yesterday and today. Dan is reciting the same script, including the exact pauses for applause, with the dude playing almost exactly the same, stopping and looking in the same places.

Demo has ended when he goes down the elevator each time. Wonder if it will be longer this time.

Well they did go further but not that much further.

Finally Skulls info!!!

MrBig

Dani said:

There was one demo that went up to the flood discovery. I immediately closed it when he opened the door so I don't know how far it went.

Some of the new skulls:

GBP (In addition to Funeral)
Malfunction - when you spawn an element of your HUD disapears
Boom - explosion radiuses are doubled.

Lingitiz

Dani said:

Yeah it wouldn't be so bad if he commentated a bit differently. He's also telling the same story that he did in the Silent Cartographer video too.

Top Bottom