• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

-Ryn

Banned
Finally finished Destiny last night.

The worlds are gorgeous, the gameplay is a hell of a blast (PvP included), and the music is incredible! I've played Hunter and Warlock
Blade Dancer = Space Ninja = Ruination to all and their shit
and look forward to trying out the Titan. I want to master both sub classes for Hunter though to see if it will unlock the mysterious 3rd slot.

The story has a lot of potential. Though I felt the campaign was a bit lackluster it still set up some nice groundwork the series can and needs to expand on. The worlds are beautiful and great to explore but if there's no incentive to explore them aside from the looks it will lose appeal. Stuff like audio logs, secret caches that need to be unlocked and other things that build the world would really benefit the game.

The multiplayer is icing on the cake.
I didn't expect it to be so good either and it is really it's own thing which I think is great. There are some issues with feedback but it's a lot of fun to play (YMMV it seems pretty love it or hate it) I think it truly shines with 3v3 matches. Bigger maps are fun but when you have a coordinated team it's just a blast. Hopefully 6v6 will get a game type that it works better with.

The game has a lot of potential (mostly on the story and co op side) and I can't wait to see what Bungie has in store for us.
It better be a racing mode

A game is always fun when you are on the winning side. But it's a game fun even if you lose? Halo was, and will hopefully be again. But Destiny? I do not know. I only played two matches, so I won't comment on that.
From what I've played, getting stomped on your own sucks (but when doesn't it?) however if you go in with a team and are losing, it can still be really cool. Most of the matches I've played even with an actual team have been really close though and we've made some badass comebacks.

By the way if anyone wants to play today I'm on the 360 so just send me a message. Multiplayer or co op is fine.

--

On a Halo note, I just watched the Halo Returns video that was posted a while ago again and holy shit it still gives me chills. I can't wait for this November!

*edit*

Here it is

Mix

This. All of this.
Destiny was a fantastic game. Do I think it had it's issues? Of course I do, every game does. With the way Bungie was teasing it, I was expecting multiple continents on each planet to explore. The Flood Zones of Old Chicago, Europa, and the list goes on. I feel like the campaign could have been so much more, but other than that I love it. I am in it for the long run, I just hope not too much of it's future is behind a paywall.
8/10

VinFTW

the loot aspect is cool

rewards after a mp match are unfair though. being good usually doesnt get rewarded

I've been in the top 1 or 2 in the 5-6 matches I've played. No exaggeration: EVERY TIME, the last 2-3 place people get 1-2 pieces of loot and I've got NOTHING.

Rod furgesson of Black tusk and Gears fame did an Interview

this part made me sad because Rod really gets it but sounds like he doesnt. 343 learned from their mistakes, i dont think they appealed to the community with 4. but 5 hopefully.

I guess because it's a new studio they've got something to prove as well. This first thing has to put them on the map.

Yes, and that's going to be our big focus - doing right by the fans and the community to show that Black Tusk understands Gears. You have to do it right before you do it differently.

Like what 343 Industries did with Halo?

It's a great model. I would be lying if we didn't say that was an interesting model to look at, and I feel, as a fan of the Halo series, that they were successful with Halo 4.
Questions in bold.

I loved Gears 3, man. Friends and I played KotH pretty much every Friday and Saturday night for about a year.

Then Judgment came out and killed it

I like to think of it as the Reach, the prequel they released after the trilogy was over and decided "ok guys time to experiment!" and just fuck with a lot of things that worked and proved to be quite unpopular.

Now Black Tusk in the 343 mode of "we learned from the last game, we gonna do it right by the fans, we had Tashi came by and he approved of the game said it felt like the old ones, pre-order now". And then the game comes out and its like "why are so many design choices...the way that they are...why" and the population dies off quickly

MonkeyNuts

Neo Member
I've been playing through Destiny and I quite enjoy it so far but I've come to the realization that the entire campaign is basically like a slightly better version of Spartan Ops.

If someone had told me a year ago that Destiny's campaign was basically like spartan Ops I would have laughed in their face.

Computer

I am having a blast playing Destiny campaign. Anyone here want Halo 5 campaign to take a bit from destiny? Open world with a bit of RPG. Also have missions similar to strike missions. In my opinion strike missions is what Spartan Ops should have been. With drops and all. As long as nothing carries over to MP other then armor style.

singhr1

I've been playing through Destiny and I quite enjoy it so far but I've come to the realization that the entire campaign is basically like a slightly better version of Spartan Ops.

If someone had told me a year ago that Destiny's campaign was basically like spartan Ops I would have laughed in their face.

Man, I really wish Destiny had vehicles throughout the story outside of just the sparrow. The best Spartan Ops sequences were the ones in which vehicles were included to some extent, especially that last one. Pretty epic finale.

Just think, you and two buddies riding in Destiny's worlds in a warthog-type 3-person vehicle.

I am having a blast playing Destiny campaign. Anyone here want Halo 5 campaign to take a bit from destiny? Open world with a bit of RPG. Also have missions similar to strike missions. In my opinion strike missions is what Spartan Ops should have been. With drops and all. As long as nothing carries over to MP other then armor style.

It wouldn't really make sense to give Halo campaign RPG elements considering there is no role to play outside being the Chief (or the Locke.. don't know yet). You aren't making your own narrative. At least in Halo you can use enemy weapons (except for the Hunter's which I really wish we could). I would like, however, more sandbox campaign missions akin to Silent Cartographer in which you are given a mission and it is your job to determine how to complete it. No hand holding or waypoints. Explore a bit.

m23

Hell no. As people have mentioned before, the mission are pretty much better versions of spartan ops missions, without Palmer yelling in your ear.

I want a well put together, focused single player campaign with good narrative. Missions akin to Halo 3. Destiny missions for me are very, very repetitive. Multiple missions start from the same spot as other missions, with reused areas over and over again. Halo is more level based and should stay that way.

No, FFS No. let halo be halo. not the Halo 4 shit, not Destiny Ops. fucking HALO

No, FFS No. let halo be halo. not the Halo 4 shit, not Destiny Ops. fucking HALO

Calm down.

There's nothing wrong with experimenting in a series. It's how you grow the franchise. I, and I know many others, have long thought that it would be cool to take ODST's concept to the next level with a centralized hubworld and have missions branch out from there.

Not at all

Mistel

Banned
I, and I know many others, have long thought that it would be cool to take ODST's concept to the next level with a centralized hubworld and have missions branch out from there.
Something that has better designed Spartan ops style missions with a thought out and engaging plot wouldn't hurt. Tie it to a hub world that rewards exploration and is enjoying to traverse, would be good for an ODST style side game.

Something that's similar and a bit different that can stand on its own would be a good way to experiment.

Nebula

Calm down.

There's nothing wrong with experimenting in a series. It's how you grow the franchise. I, and I know many others, have long thought that it would be cool to take ODST's concept to the next level with a centralized hubworld and have missions branch out from there.

Campaign side i'm fine with seeing them try and experiment.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Calm down.

I'm open to new ideas, but to be fair right experimental Halo is 0 for 1.

Ghazi

It's funny someone mentions Halo because Bungie literally pulled a Halo 4 terminal situation with their Grimoire garbage.

seriously? wow, ive just been using it as a bestiarium

Yeah. Check out the Story cards; there's quotes from Tower NPCs that are pretty clearly supposed to be addressed to your Guardian about the events of that mission. How they managed to hire all that top tier talent, write lines for them, and then totally fail to include them in the game is beyond me.

11-11-14 MCC date
11(1+1+1+4)
Master Chief

That just happen.

fe91a3dc38b1981226c5c025fc759674.jpg

Destiny's skirmish mode is so broken, the winner is nearly decided after the first team fight and lets camp in safer areas and get points via reviving your teammates

Destiny's skirmish mode is so broken, the winner is nearly decided after the first team fight and lets camp in safer areas and get points via reviving your teammates

The whole PvP is pretty broken; figured that out the first time I got a triple kill from popping my bubble shield and beating the other team to death.

Computron

looking for XBONERS to strike the weekly challenge with. (Get some strange coins to buy an exotic from Xur.)

Vlad356 = GamerTag

Have a level 20 hunter blade dancer and a 20 warlock

So when you guys say "broken" what do you mean?

Can't speak for anyone else, but on my end it just strikes me as wildly unbalanced. Success depends far too much on largely unpredictable elements like supers and weapon selection. Everybody spawns with what in Halo be viewed as a power weapon (shotty, sniper, fusion), and gun balance isn't that hot either.

I wrote a little while back about real vs. theoretical skill gap, and how it relates to off-map play (loadout selection, for instance). In Destiny, the theoretical skill gap is larger than the real skill gap by a more significant margin than any other FPS I've ever heard of.

looking for XBONERS to strike the weekly challenge with. (Get some strange coins to buy an exotic from Xur.)

Vlad356 = GamerTag

Have a level 20 hunter blade dancer and a 20 warlock

I'll be on tomorrow for sure.

my gamertag is GringoSuave89

Can't speak for anyone else, but on my end it just strikes me as wildly unbalanced. Success depends far too much on largely unpredictable elements like supers and weapon selection. Everybody spawns with what in Halo be viewed as a power weapon (shotty, sniper, fusion), and gun balance isn't that hot either.

I wrote a little while back about real vs. theoretical skill gap, and how it relates to off-map play (loadout selection, for instance). In Destiny, the theoretical skill gap is larger than the real skill gap by a more significant margin than any other FPS I've ever heard of.

I was excited for Iron Banner during the beta (enjoyed it then), but now I shutter to imagine the clusterfuck it'll become...

So when you guys say "broken" what do you mean?

Normal PvP matches is about getting the first teamfight right so one of your team earn a "super" that can destroy the entire enemy team the second teamfight, let the other members earns supers and get total map control after that, unless your team have a player that let them earn a super and tries to kill everyone, repeat.

So yeah "let the rich get richer" philosophy is pretty strong because some classes can destroy the entire enemy team pretty fast, go back and going into a spree to earn a super again, store it,let your teammates get their super and wel.. the rest if frustration to the other team. Also the winner get pvp tokens to get pvp armor to becomer even better and hard to kill.

Top Bottom