• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

So what is the story on CE's matchmaking? I saw BigShow mention his concerns yesterday. Will CE playlists always have the radar turned on? That's a bad move in my opinion. People who are excited about coming back to play the first halo in all likelihood were the dedicated CE fans who played CE competitively - that means with no radar. I have no proof, but I don't think you're going to find many casual players picking up the master chief collection so that they can go back and play the first halo online. Campaign? Maybe. Matchmaking? Not a chance. Or at least not with the intention of sticking around.

I feel like I'm manifesting Juices right now, but casual players move on to the newer and prettier halo games with each new release. As such, having CE matchmaking with the radar turned on is only going to annoy any and all of the players actually coming back specifically to play CE on xbox live. Again, I have no proof, but I feel pretty certain that the bulk of people wanting to play the original halo in matchmaking have no desire to see the radar turned on. Bad idea. Very bad idea if 343 wants the CE specific playlists to remain healthy.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So what is the story on CE's matchmaking? I saw BigShow mention his concerns yesterday. Will CE playlists always have the radar turned on? That's a bad move in my opinion. People who are excited about coming back to play the first halo in all likelihood were the dedicated CE fans who played CE competitively - that means with no radar. I have no proof, but I don't think you're going to find many casual players picking up the master chief collection so that they can go back and play the first halo online. Campaign? Maybe. Matchmaking? Not a chance. Or at least not with the intention of sticking around.

I feel like I'm manifesting Juices right now, but casual players move on to the newer and prettier halo games with each new release. As such, having CE matchmaking with the radar turned on is only going to annoy any and all of the players actually coming back specifically to play CE on xbox live. Again, I have no proof, but I feel pretty certain that the bulk of people wanting to play the original halo in matchmaking have no desire to see the radar turned on. Bad idea. Very bad idea if 343 wants the CE specific playlists to remain healthy.
We will adapt the basic premise of each game's matchmaking to suit the needs of each mini community.

We will adapt the basic premise of each game's matchmaking to suit the needs of each mini community.
OMG what are you doing awake?! I thought I could get in a subtle no-radars campaign going before people wake up. doh! Thanks for the response, though. It's good to have you around to calm our fears when we start despairing with worst case scenarios in our minds.
pABNu4V.gif

Madness

I don't envy your matchmaking team that has to monitor it all whilst also getting ready for Halo 5 beta and analyzing all that data as well.

ITT: Many people who don't know the definition of relevant.

I won't deny Halo hasn't struggled these past few years, especially in the face of diminished fan expectations and fierce competition from rival shooters, but to ask if it's still relevant is just dumb. Pac-Man is no longer relevant, Halo still is, and will continue to be for at least the foreseeable future.

He is always watching us.
ha apparently!
I don't envy your matchmaking team that has to monitor it all whilst also getting ready for Halo 5 beta and analyzing all that data as well.

ITT: Many people who don't know the definition of relevant.

I won't deny Halo hasn't struggled these past few years, especially in the face of diminished fan expectations and fierce competition from rival shooters, but to ask if it's still relevant is just dumb. Pac-Man is no longer relevant, Halo still is, and will continue to be for at least the foreseeable future.
Data will be flowing out of 343's ears I imagine. And agreed on the relevancy of halo. Halo is massively relevant to gaming and will be for a long time. The popularity of the series has taken a dip, but that's a different story and one that can also be remedied ;)

MouldyK

Exactly. It's no longer the Behemoth of the H2 and H3-Era, but there's no denying that when MCC was announced, everyone who ever played and loved even one Halo game got even a tiny bit excited at the prospect of all Mainline Halo Games being on a single console, with each one at least getting a frame rate and resolution upgrade.

They don't need Halo to sell like hotcakes and break records, they just need it to maintain a crowd and even if MCC sells more than Halo 5 will, they at least will have a crowd.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
OMG what are you doing awake?! I thought I could get in a subtle no-radars campaign going before people wake up. doh! Thanks for the response, though. It's good to have you around to calm our fears when we start despairing with worst case scenarios in our minds.
pABNu4V.gif

7am flight out of New York from Comic Con.

Now I am sitting next to a giant Alaskan family.

Madness

ha apparently!

Data will be flowing out of 343's ears I imagine. And agreed on the relevancy of halo. Halo is massively relevant to gaming and will be for a long time. The popularity of the series has taken a dip, but that's a different story and one that can also be remedied ;)

Will be interesting to see how they decide to make changes. Finite number of playlists, a myriad of differing opinions. A lot of overlap right now, especially for Team Slayer. I think down the line, a dedicated flag/objective playlist will be a must. As for CE, I think 1v1 and 2v2 would go over really well with that crowd. Don't really know what eSports entails right now too.

Edit: I wonder if 343 will be closely monitoring custom games to try and get feedback as well.

All I ever ask is put a bloody non-rotational dedicated objective playlist.

Don't make me turn into Over and start bugging people about it. Pls don't.

7am flight out of New York from Comic Con.

Now I am sitting next to a giant Alaskan family.
Better than a giant family of bears. Those things could claw you or bite your head off. Always a silver lining. Have a safe trip!

Will be interesting to see how they decide to make changes. Finite number of playlists, a myriad of differing opinions. A lot of overlap right now, especially for Team Slayer. I think down the line, a dedicated flag/objective playlist will be a must. As for CE, I think 1v1 and 2v2 would go over really well with that crowd. Don't really know what eSports entails right now too.

Edit: I wonder if 343 will be closely monitoring custom games to try and get feedback as well.
I hope people do a lot of custom games.
a custom game browser would be baller

That's why you go into Halo 2 Classic/Halo 3 with HaloGAF members who can all vote for the map/gametype like Halo Reach

they have voting in this game right frankie

right

I'm sitting back down at my computer ready to kick off the day right. Got College Gameday on the tele. Just fixed some oatmeal with milk and sugar and drinking a mug of 8 o'clock coffee with french vanilla creamer in it. It's beautfiul.
Bring back Squad Slayer.
this guy knows his stuff
That's why you go into Halo 2 Classic/Halo 3 with HaloGAF members who can all vote for the map/gametype like Halo Reach

they have voting in this game right frankie

right
Some of us have no friends. Not me, but Elzar :3

EDIT:
Rethinking my original post. I can generalize quite a bit and make blanket statements when it's not so cut and dry. It was probably pretty arrogant of me to assume that only competitive players back in the day would truly be interested in returning to CE. I'll just wait for the game to come out and enjoy its offerings no matter the settings.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Last night I dreamt that I was able to take the scarab gun into matchmaking and I was wrecking kids in multi team on Warlord. Good times.

Last night I dreamt that I was able to take the scarab gun into matchmaking and I was wrecking kids in multi team on Warlord. Good times.
Funny you mention a random dream you had. On my facebook feed, a friend of mine shared that he dreamed Tim Curry gave him the ebola virus last night. Haha but I think I like your dream even better =) The whole time were you yelling,"get wrecked!"
Damn, son.

There's that one guy, right?
There's always that one guy

EDIT: oh yeah. so apparently Comic Con New York just happened, but I hadn't heard any news from it. Are there any websites i can go see like a recap?

FyreWulff

Yerp. An objective playlist would have tons of variety considering the games available.

edit: and VIP is not objective, nor is Kill in Order in Halo 1

nillapuddin

Do you think it would still be possible to do the chief camo glitch on MCC?

Honestly my legendary run was more filled with tricks and glitches than skill.

(it was more fun to break the game, than it break me)

Do you think it would still be possible to do the chief camo glitch on MCC?

Honestly my legendary run was more filled with tricks and glitches than skill.

(it was more fun to break the game, than it break me)
What was the camo glitch and in which game was it? Personally, I'm gonna love going back through CE's campaign, but probably on heroic just for screwing around.

FyreWulff

What was the camo glitch and in which game was it? Personally, I'm gonna love going back through CE's campaign, but probably on heroic just for screwing around.

In Halo 2: Get the Envy skull, which replaces Chief's flashlight with the Arbiter camo.

Start a level. Trigger the camo and get a checkpoint before the camo runs out (usually easiest to get right at the start of a level, like Outskirts, where the first checkpoint is predictable). Save and quit.

Now when you load your checkpoint, Chief will be permanently camoflauged for the rest of the level. Even if you shoot you'll re-camo. Makes doing stuff like getting the IWHBYD skull much easier.

One of my favorite things to do with this glitch was combine it with Blind and watch AI vs AI battles

-Ryn

Banned
I wish I could remember my dream. I'm pretty sure it was awesome. Though I don't think Halo was involved...
how would you even be able to HOLD a Scarab Gun?

I'm sitting back down at my computer ready to kick off the day right. Got College Gameday on the tele. Just fixed some oatmeal with milk and sugar and drinking a mug of 8 o'clock coffee with french vanilla creamer in it. It's beautfiul.
I used to put milk in my oatmeal. I find that water works just as well though. Guess it's a matter of flavor.

In Halo 2: Get the Envy skull, which replaces Chief's flashlight with the Arbiter camo.

Start a level. Trigger the camo and get a checkpoint before the camo runs out (usually easiest to get right at the start of a level, like Outskirts, where the first checkpoint is predictable). Save and quit.

Now when you load your checkpoint, Chief will be permanently camoflauged for the rest of the level. Even if you shoot you'll re-camo. Makes doing stuff like getting the IWHBYD skull much easier.

One of my favorite things to do with this glitch was combine it with Blind and watch AI vs AI battles
That sounds like so much fun. I never even got any of the skulls in Halo 2. I explored it for hours. Then again I was never looking.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The whole time were you yelling,"get wrecked!"
I was mostly just worried about getting banned for cheating, lol. Kids kept rushing me only to die, though. It felt like the gold lift room in Sword Base minus the lift.

nice. it's amazing the things i don't even know even after all these years. I'll definitely have to give it a try.
I used to put milk in my oatmeal. I find that water works just as well though. Guess it's a matter of flavor.
Yeah in oatmeal it might not matter as much, but when I make cream of wheat it HAS to be milk!

I was mostly just worried about getting banned for cheating, lol. Kids kept rushing me only to die, though. It felt like the gold lift room in Sword Base minus the lift.
That's so funny. Like the fact that you were legitimately worried about getting banned lol.
Most of my dreams never seem real. But my emotions are always amplified. Like even a dumb scary dream. It could be about me getting chased by a poodle. But if it's a scary dream I'll be terrified no matter what. Then wake up and feel dumb.

Fuchsdh

I can assume that they'll be treating H2A skulls like Halo 3+ skulls, in that once you find them you'll be able to expressly toggle them? The janky rushed implementation of them in Halo 2 is what kept me from looking for them.

Mix

I can assume that they'll be treating H2A skulls like Halo 3+ skulls, in that once you find them you'll be able to expressly toggle them? The janky rushed implementation of them in Halo 2 is what kept me from looking for them.

Yes, It's been confirmed that all 30 skulls in Halo 2A will have the option to be turned on or off after collecting them to coincide with Halo CEA, 3 and 4.

-Ryn

Banned
Yeah in oatmeal it might not matter as much, but when I make cream of wheat it HAS to be milk!

That's so funny. Like the fact that you were legitimately worried about getting banned lol.
Most of my dreams never seem real. But my emotions are always amplified. Like even a dumb scary dream. It could be about me getting chased by a poodle. But if it's a scary dream I'll be terrified no matter what. Then wake up and feel dumb.
I don't think I've ever had cream of wheat. I'll have to give it a go.

Dreams are amazing. There's endless possibility and it's all the cooler when you can remember them.
Which is why I think Inception was taking place in the mind of the worlds most boring man.

Yes, It's been confirmed that all 30 skulls in Halo 2A will have the option to be turned on or off after collecting them to coincide with Halo CEA, 3 and 4.
Sweet we have to find them again!? This is great. Finding skulls was one of my favorite parts of Halo 3.

nillapuddin

Don't see why not. It's a bug in the checkpoint system

sweeeett

1. Get the Envy Skull.
  2. Save and quit.
  3. Start any level with the Master Chief.
  4. Play the level until you get a checkpoint, But make sure you activate your Camo just before the checkpoint
  5. Once you get it, revert to the last checkpoint and see if you are invisible. If not, try again.
  6. Once that is done, save and quit, and reset or turn off your Xbox.
  7. Resume that same level and you will be invisible for the rest of the level! When you shoot or get shot, you will stay invisible, and even though enemies cannot see you, they may fire in your general direction so just be careful.

So much fun, between that, and Specter'ing my way around/out/above/below levels, Im going to have a freaking blast with Halo 2 again

I wonder how all the crazy out of the level sections will look in H2A..

VinFTW

Man... That "is Halo still relevant" thread is hurting my head.

Gonna have to not ever go back in there again lol...

Some posts in there are GOLD though

antigoon

UGH my one friend who I was counting on to get an Xbox One for this seems to have bailed b/c of car troubles.

I NEED YOU GUYS MORE THAN EVER.

Mix

lol, I'm pretty disappointed at the lack of news today. Got my Hype set at over 9000 and I remembered today is Saturday lol

lol, I'm pretty disappointed at the lack of news today. Got my Hype set at over 9000 and I remembered today is Saturday lol

Wonder what we'll be getting Monday, Ryan McCaffery had posted the reveal schedule through yesterday. Come Monday, I hope we see some of the brown bloodline gameplay.

Top Bottom