• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

She's my future wife bro. Back off.

post-29740-Ill-Cut-You-gif-knife-switchbl-K9lq.gif

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I do agree that they're over doing it with the mindfuckery shit this season. Half the episode is someone looking constipated while a sea of blood splashes them in the face.

Akahige

I liked Episode 3, it felt more focused on the story progression compared to the first two, I get the feeling I should have waited till the Season was almost over to start binge watching but it's too late now.

Will's a cruel son of bitch.

I need to be quicker on the stop button, the previews for the next week start right away and the first sec are way too spoiler heavy.
Also whoever does the Hannibal Music should do the Music for a Silent Hill game..But that will never happen :(
I was thinking get this guy on Blade Runner 2.

minx

This show has been sliding too far into the artsy-fartsy side of the spectrum this season. Seems all it's concerned with is crafting pretty imagery and waxing philosophical.

BTW is it me or is the show too dark now? I'm having a hard time making out stuff.

I agree. This season just isn't doing it for me anymore. I find myself getting bored and picking up my phone.

Moff

just fantastic, the show has become gradually better and better since season 1, which I didn't like that much. now that the "case of the week" concept is finally fully gone we can embrace what it was always supposed to be

Enco

Yea I think I'm done with this show.

The first seasons had some dumb moments but were overall enjoyable.

I don't mind arty stuff but this season just isn't fun or interesting for me. Too boring and over the top.

Lazyslob

Banned
Yea I think I'm done with this show.

The first seasons had some dumb moments but were overall enjoyable.

I don't mind arty stuff but this season just isn't fun or interesting for me. Too boring and over the top.

this season is 3 episodes so far. if you aint into it now you never were baby.

Alpende

I liked this episode a lot more than the second one. The backstory of Hannibal was great, I haven't seen Hannibal Rising or read about it so him eating Mischa was a surprise for me.

There was some good humor in this one as well. 'That may have been impulsive'.

Window

As the teacup has come back together the show has become steadily more concrete and grounded from episode 1 on, but regardless- this is a pretty bizarre, violent, out-there TV show about a cannibal serial killer and the people, good and bad, caught in his orbit. It is dark and weird and just not the kind of thing to ever catch on with the masses. It certainly shouldn't be diluting its artistic integrity this late in the game just to catch new viewers, now that it has finally and fully committed to the original vision. I'm sure there are still a hundred procedural dramas with thoroughly generic photography out there to sate those needs without having to water this one show down to make it palatable for a wider audience.

I guess it isn't clear from my post but that was not a complaint. I was just patting myself on the back for predicting the continued mixed reactions to the season from its audience from a few pages back when people where reporting the disappointing ratings (though it is still to early in the season to say for sure). I'm loving the direction the show is heading in. I haven't seen episode 3 yet but I do think episode 2 was closer to episode 1 than the previous seasons in its ...impenetrableness.

Jex

I, for, one, am very pleased to see the show to fully embrace itself. Much like Hannibal, the series has shed it's mask of being a tiresome procedural and fully committed to engaging with its twisted premise. They clearly have no interest in acquiring new viewers, or even retaining those unable to keep up with the shows new 'normal'. And why should they? It's a miracle that this season even got made, the least they could do is go all the way and show us a story that we aren't used to experiencing in the TV format.

dlauv

As the teacup has come back together the show has become steadily more concrete and grounded from episode 1 on, but regardless- this is a pretty bizarre, violent, out-there TV show about a cannibal serial killer and the people, good and bad, caught in his orbit. It is dark and weird and just not the kind of thing to ever catch on with the masses. It certainly shouldn't be diluting its artistic integrity this late in the game just to catch new viewers, now that it has finally and fully committed to the original vision. I'm sure there are still a hundred procedural dramas with thoroughly generic photography out there to sate those needs without having to water this one show down to make it palatable for a wider audience.

You act like the last couple of seasons haven't been absolutely amazing.
You act like this is the best thing to come out of the show.
If so, I totally disagree. I'm a lit student -- that's not to say "I know what I'm talking about so hush, you," but instead to say that I love symbolism and allusion. But, even for me, this is cheesy, on-the-nose indulgence. To be fair I should have seen it coming: it was heading that way towards the end of the last season.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
why were people saying they
figured out a way to do silence
without
clarice
because of this ep?

You act like the last couple of seasons haven't been absolutely amazing.
You act like this is the best thing to come out of the show.
If so, I totally disagree. I'm a lit student -- that's not to say "I know what I'm talking about so hush, you," but instead to say that I love symbolism and allusion. But, even for me, this is cheesy, on-the-nose indulgence. To be fair I should have seen it coming: it was heading that way towards the end of the last season.
Eh? I agree with you that S2 was amazing, but at this point last season, we were on Will's exciting and totally not out of place courtroom shenanigans.

Which is simply to say, that S2 started off pretty poorly. The first part of S3 is already miles ahead of that, and will only get better if the excessively spoiler-heavy previews are any indication.

You'd think Fannibals were a more patient breed :p

dlauv

Eh? I agree with you that S2 was amazing, but at this point last season, we were on Will's exciting and totally not out of place courtroom shenanigans.

Which is simply to say, that S2 started off pretty poorly. The first part of S3 is already miles ahead of that, and will only get better if the excessively spoiler-heavy previews are any indication.

I kind of liked the courtroom scenes, but you're making a fair point: it did start off poorly. I'd forgotten because I was totally hooked when it got into gear.

without
clarice
because of this ep?
Fuller has allegedly been suggesting that his current plans for season 4 is radically different from his original/amended plan, which was that (overall show plan)
season four would be The Silence of the Lambs albeit with altered names and a slightly different structure given that they don't have the rights
. We don't know how much of a departure it is, or whether or not that means the character you've mentioned will be present in some form, or really anything in particular as we don't know where season three will conclude for the characters. Kirblar questioned as to whether this radical departure could mean
that based upon the end of this episode, perhaps season four would be 'Buffalo Will' with Will as a killer being the premise
a few points were made for and against this idea. Then, NotTheGuyYouKill suggested that perhaps season four will be very similar except (Red Dragon ending spoilers)
instead of Will retiring and living in the sunset, he will remain present and Clarice will help him through the aftermath of Red Dragon
. The interaction occurs on the previous page (I have one hundred posts per page so it may be the last two for you). Fuller's quote regarding the show plan is further back so I'll look for it.

While I don't disagree with the courtroom being out of place, I don't think you're giving the opening of season two enough credit there because the reaction at the time definitely was not that it started off poorly. The mural killer in the first episode and Hannibal's involvement in the investigation, combined with Will's assistance from prison and Hannibal's confrontation with the killer and disruption of the crime scene, was particularly strong and contained one of the most brutal, thrilling sequences in the show. That's not to say anything about the quality of this season's opening, just that I don't think arguing that season two had a weak opening has much of a backing other than the courtroom episode. In fact, I would think that comparisons to last season's opening would merely emphasise somebody's discomfort at the current season's opening, simply because at that stage, stakes were much higher, and the show was moving relentlessly towards a conclusion to the chain of events which had been set into motion in the first season due to the huge pressure which was present; this season has begun more relaxed and with seemingly lower stakes (understandably, given that the previous final left most characters near death and this season has been a 'fresh start' in the events transpiring), so for individuals who feel the show has perhaps been too relaxed in it's pace or self-indulgent, reflecting upon the opening of the second season is likely not the best way to alleviate qualms.

Ok, just finished episode 2 and I'm fucking furious at NBC. Censoring a classic art piece because of nudity? Sure, show grisly murders and gallons of blood, but barely noticeable nudity on an art piece is just too far apparently! They sure as shit can't pull the 'think of the children' defense since kids shouldn't be watching this in the first place.

As an art student that offended me greatly.

Rage mode over. Now onto episode 3

Just finished catching up on the last 2 episodes. VERY curious to see how Season 4 might be in contrast to this one.

Fuller and co. sure know how to push people away from this show, hahaha. I get how it may come off as too artsy. But it's all connected to eachother, nothing complex about that. Just a matter of paying attention to details.

Am really not getting how this season is boring either. I've read the books and seen all the movies. This is the most the character of Hannibal Lecter has been explored. Without any spoilers... this back story we got in episode 3 is the direction the books should have taken.

without
clarice
because of this ep?
Haven't come across this yet myself. But can see how ghost Abigail and Will's magnetism towards Hannibal could be translated that way. I mean, even Bedelia speaks openly to Hannibal about it.

What is actually Hannibal's job in Florence? Is he working at a library or a university?

Museum Curator.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Haven't been in this thread but seems everyone has similar feelings. The artistry/cinematography is nice and all, but they have lost the subtlety of the first two seasons. Dunno if it's guest directors or what.

Maintaining the balance that the first two seasons kept would not have diluted the show in any way, shape, or form. Instead, they've basically gone full-tilt into masturbatory self-indulgence and sacrificed almost everything else that made the show interesting in the process.

pa22word

I really think this season has thus far felt totally like a last season.

Hope I'm wrong and they've somewhere confirmed they're doing more, but the way it started and the way its been going, it just feels like everything's going to come to an end this season. I mean they aren't even trying anymore to help new people come into the series. It's just like they said, "fuck it, this is it anyway so lets do what we want with the series before its off the air".

Moff

miriam lass als clarice is out of the question?
she always reminded me of her and I thought they kinda set her up for that, but I don't even know if there already was a miriam lass in the novels, but I guess they could make it work

miriam lass als clarice is out of the question?
she always reminded me of her and I thought they kinda set her up for that, but I don't even know if there already was a miriam lass in the novels, but I guess they could make it work

Silence of the Lambs Spoiler:
Clarice very much works because she's had no prior exposure to Hannibal, and is relatively 'new' to the game. She is a fresh pair of eyes into the world of Lecter. Jack's warnings of the danger that Lecter presents creates a degree of tension, because while as the audience are aware that Jack knows first hand of the damage that he can do, Clarice doesn't, and as she gradually begins feeding him information about herself and believing that she can manipulate him to a degree (because he doesn't pose a threat, he's behind bars and contained) tension builds as we wait for Lecter to reveal who he truly is to her (and of course then he escapes). The importance of her being 'new' and without history is also important, as it allows her to control (to a degree) what Lecter knows of her. He has little means of learning about her besides what she tells him, what he intuits, and what she suggests, which also allows him to focus on helping her through the trauma of dealing with the screams of the lambs. It also is important to Jack Crawford's character, as it furthers his recklessness in sending somebody else to Lecter knowing that she's not equipped to handle the situation.

Using Miriam as a Clarice substitute just doesn't really fit into the tale that's being spun in Silence that well. While yes she carries with her the theme of a woman struggling in a male-dominated world and overcoming the many obstacles which are present which is very much central to the story, her long history with Lecter completely changes their dynamic, and allows Lecter to use information which she has not provided her. The recklessness of Jack is also reshaped, as Miriam, missing an arm and completely broken by Lecter after much torment, is also increased to such a degree that one questions why he was ever made the head of his section of the FBI, as she certainly is not fit to chase a former patient of Lecter's and interact with him in anyway.

Personally, I think that Clarice's 'freshness' is too important to the story to discard. They may try and alter the central theme from 'women in a male dominated world and gender stereotypes' to something else that focuses on the struggles of a minority in the society in which we live (I don't think they should at all though, the theme is very well entwined with the story and imagery present in Silence), but they definitely need a 'new' character. In this show in particular, it will also allow them to shift in their style of investigative technique and the type of imagery. The only problem with all of this is that Will Graham doesn't fit into the story of Silence well, and I don't see how t can be reconciled without fundamentally altering the story.

EDIT: Having said that, it depends on how loosely they're going to adapt the novels. The above is only if they're going to stick to the novel and keep the same main beats. We'll know pretty soon as to how they're handling adapting the material from the novels so we'll have a better indication then.

Polari

I really think this season has thus far felt totally like a last season.

Hope I'm wrong and they've somewhere confirmed they're doing more, but the way it started and the way its been going, it just feels like everything's going to come to an end this season. I mean they aren't even trying anymore to help new people come into the series. It's just like they said, "fuck it, this is it anyway so lets do what we want with the series before its off the air".

Eh, I think it could be. The ratings, always dismal, have collapsed entirely this season. If it continues to be this languid in its pacing, I'm not sure I'd be too bothered either.

Moff

Silence of the Lambs Spoiler:
Clarice very much works because she's had no prior exposure to Hannibal, and is relatively 'new' to the game. She is a fresh pair of eyes into the world of Lecter. Jack's warnings of the danger that Lecter presents creates a degree of tension, because while as the audience are aware that Jack knows first hand of the damage that he can do, Clarice doesn't, and as she gradually begins feeding him information about herself and believing that she can manipulate him to a degree (because he doesn't pose a threat, he's behind bars and contained) tension builds as we wait for Lecter to reveal who he truly is to her (and of course then he escapes). The importance of her being 'new' and without history is also important, as it allows her to control (to a degree) what Lecter knows of her. He has little means of learning about her besides what she tells him, what he intuits, and what she suggests, which also allows him to focus on helping her through the trauma of dealing with the screams of the lambs. It also is important to Jack Crawford's character, as it furthers his recklessness in sending somebody else to Lecter knowing that she's not equipped to handle the situation.

Using Miriam as a Clarice substitute just doesn't really fit into the tale that's being spun in Silence that well. While yes she carries with her the theme of a woman struggling in a male-dominated world and overcoming the many obstacles which are present which is very much central to the story, her long history with Lecter completely changes their dynamic, and allows Lecter to use information which she has not provided her. The recklessness of Jack is also reshaped, as Miriam, missing an arm and completely broken by Lecter after much torment, is also increased to such a degree that one questions why he was ever made the head of his section of the FBI, as she certainly is not fit to chase a former patient of Lecter's and interact with him in anyway.

Personally, I think that Clarice's 'freshness' is too important to the story to discard. They may try and alter the central theme from 'women in a male dominated world and gender stereotypes' to something else that focuses on the struggles of a minority in the society in which we live (I don't think they should at all though, the theme is very well entwined with the story and imagery present in Silence), but they definitely need a 'new' character. In this show in particular, it will also allow them to shift in their style of investigative technique and the type of imagery. The only problem with all of this is that Will Graham doesn't fit into the story of Silence well, and I don't see how t can be reconciled without fundamentally altering the story.

EDIT: Having said that, it depends on how loosely they're going to adapt the novels. The above is only if they're going to stick to the novel and keep the same main beats. We'll know pretty soon as to how they're handling adapting the material from the novels so we'll have a better indication then.

I agree that clarices function was heavily tied to exposing hannibal as a character. she is there so that we can meet him through her eyes. but is that really still necessary when we already saw him for 3 whole seasons?

UrbanRats

The show already has pretty shitty ratings, in terms of viewers, so whatever, people that don't like it can go, but personally i'm loving this season and its full on commitment to the mindfuckery, nightmare trip.
Every time they went CSI in the last two seasons, after all, it felt like time wasting to me, even though it did serve to build up Hannibal's character.

I admit this season's style doesn't translate well on a week to week basis, because it takes some time to get into the mood, and when you do, the episode is over, but it must be a blast to marathon through.

And to me it makes stylistic sense.
You can't wake up from the climax S2 had, and just get to normal business again, it felt like we stepped into another dimension, like we changed gears; and even if they intend to get out of it (when they will introduce other killers, such as
Dollarhyde
) you have to ease out of it.
They couldn't just make Will wake up in the hospital and be like "well, that was something".

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
After seeing the ratings for Thursday, I've lost any hope for a fourth season. If we get it, fantastic. But...yeah. I'm going to enjoy this all for what it is and be grateful that we're at least going to get to see Red Dragon play out.

After seeing the ratings for Thursday, I've lost any hope for a fourth season. If we get it, fantastic. But...yeah. I'm going to enjoy this all for what it is and be grateful that we're at least going to get to see Red Dragon play out.

What were the ratings of season 2? Is it a drastic decrease from that? Like, from what I understand (I think from this thread, even!) this show doesn't get that great of ratings, but it's also really inexpensive to produce and it reviews well, so they have some incentive to keep it? Not going to panic until there's a reason to.

I'm still trying to hold out for the whole season to be done. But once I do, what's the best place to watch it? iTunes or Amazon? iTunes had much better quality for Korra when I was watching it, but things could have changed since then. I hope Amazon has gotten better.

Last season was 1.1 or so. This season the last thing i saw was a .7

1.1 is awful on almost any channel, but enough to be on the bubble at nbc, esp with their creative funding. A .7 though . . .

Top Bottom