• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

kaskade

I just hope this season closes out well at least so it feels somewhat complete.

Or Netflix grabs it. Amazon worries me since they don't have the best track record for shows. I guess since this isn't original maybe it'll be a bit better.

Sheroking

A lot of this post is dead wrong, but mostly that Hannibal isn't produced on the same model that most shows are. It's international licensing fee makes it so it's one of the least expensive shows on network or bigger-tier basic cable nets (and Hannibal's licensing fee is a lot lower than some smaller cable shows I've worked on).

We'll never know the actual profit margins for Hannibal because neither you nor I work at NBC. But if I were a betting man, I would guess that Hannibal actually made a profit or broke even, but that wasn't enough at this point.

It's extremely likely that a streaming network will pick it up due to the show and brand's huge international appeal.

It's also not even really an NBC original! It's an international co-production that just happens to air on NBC in the United States.

The economics of Hannibal do seem to be very different than your typical show and you may be right about me being wrong, but Hannibal is doing half the numbers a typical show would need to be saved as a critical darling, even for NBC. That is beyond putrid.

The fact that we're three episodes in and it's already been curbed, with a statement prepared and released by Fuller (who announced his new show last week), leads me to believe this wasn't that big of a deliberation on NBC's part.

Verger

Banned
I have to admit. This season just isn't doing it for me.

It's definitely more arty and "stylish" and I appreciate it for that. But as entertainment? It's kind of been slow and plodding.

The previews look great though.

One thing that bugs me though is we spent all last season with Will believing Abigail was dead and dreaming of her in his mind, and then it appeared (from last episode) that we're back where we started in that regard. Obviously different circumstances, but the parallels are there.

So Michael Pitt really left the role of Verger right? I can see it being a combination of the show being very obscure in ratings (and now being cancelled) and accolades in addition to the role becoming far more demanding with him being confined to a chair and having to endure hours of makeup. So it's understandable why he chose to leave.

EDIT: Still hope the show finds a better venue. Praying for Netflix as that's the best way to get more viewers now. Hopefully Fuller and co. realize that

Begaria

Well, there goes the one and only show I watched on NBC. I hate and love you NBC for going strong with this show for three seasons when any other network would've cancelled it after the first, and then cancelling it in the third :p

wOztD6M.gif

Please, please let someone else pick the show up.

Euron

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Please just let somebody else continue this. It's easily the best show on TV and it would be terrible to see it end so soon.

ivysaur12

Banned
The economics of Hannibal do seem to be very different than your typical show and you may be right about me being wrong, but Hannibal is doing half the numbers a typical show would need to be saved as a critical darling, even for NBC. That is beyond putrid.

The fact that we're three episodes in and it's already been curbed, with a statement prepared and released by Fuller (who announced his new show last week), leads me to believe this wasn't that big of a deliberation on NBC's part.

It's not like they do seem to be different. They are different. Full stop. Again, I don't even consider Hannibal an NBC original. It's an international show that airs on NBC, the same way that Flashpoint aired on CBS or Motive aired on ABC. It doesn't work with the same economics, and trying to make sense of Hannibal using a template of a normal network developed TV series is not going to work.

It doesn't really matter if it wasn't a big deliberation on NBC's part. It's pretty obvious everyone saw this coming. New statement by the pod:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/nbc-has-canceled-hannibal#.tg2LpGDD8

When reached by BuzzFeed News, Hannibal’s executive producer Martha De Laurentiis confirmed that the show’s producers will try to revive it elsewhere.

“NBC has been a wonderful home for three seasons of Hannibal, and we still have 10 mind-blowing episodes taking Hannibal and Will into uncharted terrain,” wrote Laurentiis. “We believe that after they air, audiences’ hunger for the fourth chapter of this saga will be incredible, and are presently exploring other distribution options with our creative team and our partners at Gaumont Television.”

We all know how this is going to end, which is Hannibal on a streaming net.

Assuming the worst-case scenario that no one (even an online platform) picks it up, what are the chances that the show marches on, America be damned?

If the show's as popular internationally as I've been led to believe, would its worldwide licensees let it die?

ivysaur12

Banned
Bummed to hear this. Hope someone picks it up soon.

Yup. It's too bad that it often comes up with high quality shows on the brink, like Hannibal. They merit a lot of discussion based on the content alone, and the constant ratings concerns are a distraction. I completely understand why people worry about it, but it'd be nice just enjoy the shows while they're still on.

Yeah. I mean, they're relevant and I get why people talk about them, but sometimes I just want to talk about the episodes, not pages of concern about a show's fate.

It's definitely more arty and "stylish" and I appreciate it for that. But as entertainment? It's kind of been slow and plodding.

Kinda feel the same way. I love the show of course, and hoped to see it get as many seasons as Fuller wanted, but we all knew that wasn't the kind of world we live in.

That said, yeah, I've found myself getting distracted watching S3's episodes off and on. The show has always been self-indulgent, but this season seems to have taken it to an extreme. It's a beautiful show to be sure, but I feel like the things that drew me to the show initially - the investigations, the compelling characters, the dialogue - have all taken a backseat to artful, soft-lit shots of liquid pouring or meat being cut. Too much navel gazing. Things look to be taking an interesting turn soon but I can understand why the season hasn't exactly inspired confidence so far.

yami4ct

This is completely expected, even if a bit sad. I do expect someone else to pick up the US rights, though. Perhaps Amazon since they had the big deal with NBC that got them the show anyway? Wherever it shows up, I'll be watching. I'm happy NBC took a huge chance on this show, even if it didn't work out for them and I really don't blame them for dropping it.

If this does end up being the last season by some crazy means, Red Dragon is perhaps not a bad one to go out on. From what I've heard, it'll close a lot of the open loops anyway. that being said, I would love at least 1 more season. I need to see Fuller and Co.'s version of Silence of the Lambs.

tariniel

I feel the same way, and also agree with someone on the last page about it being a lot of words but nothing really being said, so far.

I'm hopeful and will continue watching at least the rest of this season, in hopes it starts to pick up. The last bits of E03 were pretty good.

Although this isn't too surprising to many fans, now that I've thought about it for a minute, a streaming network would do the show wonders, since there would (most likely) be no ads. Ads grind the artsy, ethereal feeling of every episode to a halt at least 4 times per show... which kinda ruins it. When Netflix picks this up /COUGHCOUGH/ we'll be able to sit down and get sucked in for way, way longer than 10 minutes at a time.

...I really did try not to think about this inevitability, but I guess we all know now :( Must... stay... positive...

/sigh

ibrahima

Banned
This has been coming for a long time, and I see no reason why Fuller and De Laurentis won't have been courting other Networks/Broadcasters for an even longer time. NBC have done the show well, they gave it a second and third season when one wasn't expected.

Hannibal will dismantle who he is and move it, brick by brick.

Moff

feels bad man
but people here seem to be surprisingly confident it will be picked up by someone else?
netflix certainly threw money at worse shows, but hannibals ratings are probably not inviting for anyone

feels bad man
but people here seem to be surprisingly confident it will be picked up by someone else?
netflix certainly threw money at worse shows, but hannibals ratings are probably not inviting for anyone

maybe they just need to discuss it in the right setting.

yami4ct

feels bad man

The franchise has a huge international audience and the show is actually cofunded by international investors. There's a decent chance a new US partner will come in and pick it up even if NBC drops it.

That's assuming that the reasoning for the cancelation are the ratings.

Verger

Banned
Kinda feel the same way. I love the show of course, and hoped to see it get as many seasons as Fuller wanted, but we all knew that wasn't the kind of world we live in.

That said, yeah, I've found myself getting distracted watching S3's episodes off and on. The show has always been self-indulgent, but this season seems to have taken it to an extreme. It's a beautiful show to be sure, but I feel like the things that drew me to the show initially - the investigations, the compelling characters, the dialogue - have all taken a backseat to artful, soft-lit shots of liquid pouring or meat being cut. Too much navel gazing. Things look to be taking an interesting turn soon but I can understand why the season hasn't exactly inspired confidence so far.
Yeah, you described it well. The show has been more about the visuals than dialogue. That's been true through all the seasons but this season ratcheted it up to level 11. I can see how many audience viewers would become either lost or bored, particularly by the first episode which didn't have a recap. Yeah, I don't like recaps myself, but they're clearly needed for a lot of people.

Still, a lot of the visuals, while pretty and have a lot of symbolism, are kind of lost in how they're edited and cut. By making too much of these episodes all about that, I believe it diminishes the effectiveness of strong shots.

I remember in Season 1 and 2 we would often see gifs and stills posted of some very artistic and good camera shots. I've noticed less of that this season so far. There just hasn't been a good "shot" to me yet.

BkMogul

Damn, I'm feeling some kind of way about this. Hitting me hard than probably any cancellation in a long time. I hope Netflix or someone else saves this.

Xater

Hmm do you even want it to be saved without Fuller at the Helm though? I just read he is moving on to work on American Gods.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hmm do you even want it to be saved without Fuller at the Helm though? I just read he is moving on to work on American Gods.
That is not what's happening. He would be continuing with Hannibal along with working on American Gods.

jett

D-Member
Are you some of you people acting fake-surprised or something? This has been expected for like 2 years. In a more logical world, Hannibal probably would've been cancelled mid-S1 and the remaining episodes wouldn't have aired. NBC has been really nice to the H fanbase and continues to be. The ratings are worst than ever, far worse, and yet they'll let the season to run its course.

I'm guessing it will be picked up by Amazon since they got the streaming rights at the moment.

Katori

I remember in Season 1 and 2 we would often see gifs and stills posted of some very artistic and good camera shots. I've noticed less of that this season so far. There just hasn't been a good "shot" to me yet.

We need to get more GIF makers out there then. Then match cuts this season have been incredible--E01 with the moon, etc.

I can not find much more hate possible for NBC.
Everytime I hate them , they do something to make me hate them even more.

NBC gave Fuller not only three seasons despite poor ratings but considering season 3's direction, an arguably unprecedented degree of creative freedom on network television. You're being silly.

NBC not only gave Fuller three seasons despite poor ratings but considering season 3's direction, an arguably unprecedented degree of creative freedom on network television. You're being silly.

I have to agree. While it's natural to be unhappy, NBC has been anything but unfair to Hannibal; they have been fantastic in the degree of leniency and support they have showed despite terrible ratings and an extremely off-putting style.

Also, while a Fuller-less Hannibal is not actually the case should it continue, my impression has always been that, for Fuller, his interest, primarily, was Red Dragon more than any other aspect of the Hannibal universe. I would imagine he is content with what he has completed. While the lack of a Silence of the Lambs adaptation may be disappointing to viewers, the existing movie is fantastic as is, and while a version of Silence of the Lambs brought to us by Fuller was an exciting prospect, I've never gotten the impression that it was something he was truly enthused by. He has adapted everything but Silence fantastically (season plan spoilers)
of course it'll depend on how Red Dragon is later this season, but I assume it'll remain consistent
, and it has always been everything but Silence that was most in need of assistance. I'm still hoping for Season 4, of course, but if this season ends faithfully, I think I'll be content in all we have managed to get.

It's a silly idea, but wouldn't Hannibal be a perfect fit with HBO as a replacement for True Detective? They're also not dependent on advertising and the show is pretty much paid for by other means already. Or do they really need 'original' shows that much that they would let this pass mid-appetizer?*

* I have no idea how this business works, so don't judge me for saying something really stupid from your p.o.v.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
For a show with such low ratings, it's the top trending topic on both Twitter and FB right now, that's interesting...
That really makes me wonder how many people actually watch the show. I'd love to hear how it would do on Netflix or Amazon if an entire season was released at once. Hopefully we get that opportunity.

Top Bottom