• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HAPPY 10TH BIRTHDAY STEAM! (12/9/13)

The_Monk

Thank you for posting this fellow GAFfer. It's an amazing thread based on a great Service. Amazing thread made by an amazing GAFfer.

It's been a while since Steam was only about games, they built a great Community, they kept adding new stuff, introducing news ways for players to discuss what they like the most and the fact that they listen to their consumers is always a good thing for any company.

Steam-GAF is full of amazing, great, kind people that help build the unique Community that is GAF. We bring people closer, we help increasing the Backlogs, we talk about games and sometimes we even play them! Even with some many social added features on Steam that would not mean anything if we were not surrounded for such fine people to share our achievements, games, opinions, screenshots, and many more features. They created the Service but it's people like us and like many great GAFfers that helped them built the number one place to be on PC weather for playing games, collecting them or just talk about them.

Happy birthday Steam! May you keep on improving this fine service because this Community keeps getting bigger and bigger.

nbthedude

Steam is the reason I became a PC gamer 3 years ago. And it is largely the reason I will remain one even after the new consoles come out.

I love everything about it's infrastructure: the sales, the social functions, the breath and depth of the title catalog.

Quite frankly, it kicks the shit out of Xbox Live or PSN.

Happy Birthday, Steam. And congrats to the hard working guys and gals at Valve that have made such a kick ass system.

jediyoshi

I remember this Steam. :D

otsZZ.jpg

sweet, let's play some chess

Nokterian

Happy birthday steam! Using steam since 2007 and it is still great. Loving those new trading cards and making your profile more awesome the community market so i can earn money from selling in-game items,the amazing workshop with load and loads of mod,automated patching and the list goes on. In Gaben i trust.

10?
1 + 0 = 1
Half life 2 named #1 game of the decade
A decade is 10 years long
10 in base 6 is 14
4-1 = 3.....

Awesome post OP. I'm still new to steam (one year active) and the transition to PC gaming has been well worth it. Steam has created one of my biggest first world problems. Too many games to play.
Save that for reddit.
:p

Mugatu

I was late to the party by a several months but still love Steam.

Now, i hated it at first especially after my account got locked right after I made my first purchase of HL2 and I couldn't find a way to even contact anyone at Valve.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Great OP.

I had an account since 2007 but I only "converted" fully earlier this year. I only buy things I plan to actually play and even then my library grew at a ridiculous pace because of all the low prices and great offerings. It's pretty much synonymous with PC gaming as far as I'm concerned. I'm happy about their growing attention concerning the particularities of my region (Brazil) and from the sounds of it it's been paying off on their side too. Viva Gaben.

JordanKZ

Looks like I missed the opening of Steam by a few months (mid December 2003 for me). Steam has completely changed my gaming habits over the last decade. I haven't pirated a game in probably 8 or 9 years, I have a HUGE catalog of games that are just at my fingertips and given the choice, I will always buy a game on PC before console.

Valve and Steam have continually given more and more to players and given us an incentive to buy games through their service, rather than pirate them. You actually LOSE out if you pirate games now. When you think about it, this is crazy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Also where is the section on the Steam mascots? Huh? You wouldn't have a thread about Nintendo that doesn't have a section on Mario, just saying.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Great thread.

I hope Valve steps up and gives us an EPIC celebratory sale.

massoluk

Banned
I survived HL2 launched.

The few, the proud, the original Steam users. Ahh the One that liberated us from the clutches of Gamespy client.

derExperte

capture0tjlp.png

Which means I didn't do all that much with Steam from registering in 2004 for HL2 until 2009 when Braid was released. But after that the pace accelerated immenensly.

nbthedude

Also where is the section on the Steam mascots? Huh? You wouldn't have a thread about Nintendo that doesn't have a section on Mario, just saying.

I was kind of sad that they weren't in the recent Summer sale. Is Valve phasing them out? I hope not; they have a Charlie Brown like charm.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Nice thread, and welcome back! I hope there's some sort of sale.

Wish I hadn't lost the credentials to my 2002 Steam Beta account. :(

Happy Birthday Steam!

I lost my original Steam account thanks to a mate changing the password, which I explicitly told him not to do because I knew he'd forget what it was. I never bought anything using the account and the jewel cases containing the CD key/s I registered to it are long gone -- as is the e-mail address tied to it.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Sept 12, 2003 here, sucka!

Same here. One of the first 10,000 accounts on Steam here.

Hoping for a 10th birthday sale, or something to mark it.

I must say that 10 years ago I would never have thought we would be here. Not with a buggy system that was only made because Valve had to replace WON. Well I'm more than happy that my cynicism was proved wrong.

Here's to the next 10 years of Steam.

Vibranium

Banned
Hard to believe it's been 10 years, here's to many more and hopefully a new client build at some point hehe!

As far as celebration goes, a sale or some sort of event would be great, anything is fine by me though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I was kind of sad that they weren't in the recent Summer sale. Is Valve phasing them out? I hope not; they have a Charlie Brown like charm.

Valve is basically a soul-sucking faceless corporation that can't see the forest for the trees, so it's no surprise they'd rather make DOTA 2 hats than focus on what really matters: the dudes. I'd go Origin exclusive if Origin had cool mascots.

nbthedude

I survived HL2 launched.

The few, the proud, the original Steam users. Ahh the One that liberated us from the clutches of Gamespy client.

I remember that I had dial up at the time and I went and bought the game and it took me like two fucking days to be able to play it due to the server issues and patch downloads. I was primarily a console gamer at the time and it irritated the fuck out of me that I couldn't just put the damn game in and play it.

I didn't play another PC game until four years ago. I wish I still remembered/had access to that old account just for nostalgia's sake. When I came back to PC gaming in 2008, I made a new Steam account.

Nymphae

Banned
Hard to believe it's been 10 years, here's to many more and hopefully a new client build at some point hehe!

As far as celebration goes, a sale or some sort of event would be great, anything is fine by me though.

Yeah these anniversaries are making me feel too old. I had Steam the day HL2 was released, and somehow lost access to my account shortly after beating the game. At the time I didn't care to get it working again, because the store wasn't anywhere near what it is today. I didn't end up getting a good gaming PC until last year, and it's just amazing to see how far Steam has come.

Nabs

Valve is basically a soul-sucking faceless corporation that can't see the forest for the trees, so it's no surprise they'd rather make DOTA 2 hats than focus on what really matters: the dudes. I'd go Origin exclusive if Origin had cool mascots.

Mascots are on the roadmap! Expect to see rough sketches during Q4 2016.

Top Bottom