• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HAPPY 10TH BIRTHDAY STEAM! (12/9/13)

daveo42

Banned
I remember this Steam. :D

otsZZ.jpg

Ah, that brings back some
painful
memories. I didn't sign up for Steam until Half-Life 2 launched and hated it at the time with all the issues it had. Glad it's blossomed into what it is now.

Gaben should be proud of his gaming love child.

kudoboi

Joined steam on 13th august 2010. Within 3 years I purchased 421 games and 250 dlcs. I still remember the first time I used steam and was amazed by how well made it was. Here's to another 10 years

Amneisac

Years of Service
450 XP
Unlocked: Sep 12, 2012 @ 4:58pm
Member since September 12th, 2003.

:( I remember not being able to download the client because the site was slammed for a few days.

I'm a member since November 16, 2004. The day Half-Life 2 launched. Of course, I didn't actually get to play HL2 until the next day (or even later, my memory is fuzzy that far back).

Happy and glorious, long to reign o'er us. God save the Steam.

Joe Molotov

Got Half-Life 2 for Christmas '04; my join date is the 26th so I'm guessing the servers were slammed the day of Christmas lol.

Satchel

Banned
I'm not a big Steam person, but I'm surprised there's no thread on Steam implementing the same Family sharing Microsoft was going to.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Talking of community I would like to thank the NeoGaf Steam Community, who makes the steam experience a lot more fun than it should be. Were a odd bunch at best. But SteamGAF is probably one the best communities on GAF being super informative, generous and to some extent creating a super creepy fandom for a 18 year old Irish girl.
Aww!

Started using Steam on July last year, due to buying Max Payne 3 from Amazon (which redeemed there). It was a one-way trip: once I discovered its goodness, I never wanted to come back. Funnily enough, I made my account in 2008, but never used it until 4 years later. I regret missing the metagames featured in the good ol' Winter Sales, and I hope they come back someday so I can experience them.

It's been a hell of a year. 433 games and counting, met a lot of great people in the various Steam threads here on GAF, and all in all I had tons of fun with games and discussions and sales (and the community feed too, which is a feature that I think deserves more praise).

Tenumi

Banned
Ah... 10 years ago. I can still remember 13 year old me downloading the client again and all the hassle of the servers not cooperating. I had a beta account that I accidentally gave up due to all the server shenanigans. Still feel bad about that.

But still, I've got an account with a September 13th 2003 creation date, and I still like Steam as much as I did in the beginning. Even with all the pain, I never hated it.

Momentary

Banned
Man, tomorrow, as a celebration, they will have a flood of Japanese developers release a bunch of secretly kept games. One of them hopefully being MGR... at a 25% discount.

Sober

Fantastic OP. Reads more like an article. Wish we have more opening posts like that.

Man, ten years. I still remember back when they finally shut down WON.net and there was like a funeral service for it from all the people at PlanetHalfLife.

Colin.

I've been on Steam for nearly 3 years. I already have 230 games in my library, and likely more will be added. Was not into PC all that much for playing games growing up. But once I started using Steam, the home consoles started to get much less attention. If it weren't for all the different sales, and bundles that tied with Steam, I would never have came across most of the great indy games I have enjoyed. I really can't fault it at all as a client, has always worked great for me, and always has something new added to make it even better. Here is to another 10 years.

I was surprised to see that I've had an active Steam account since 9/12/2013. I didn't think I was that on top of this stuff when I was 14 but I suppose we did play a lot of Counter-Strike back then!

oipic

That OP - I bow down to you, Monsieur d'Orange. You do the occasion justice, so thank heavens you were back in time for this.

Happy Birthday, Steam! <3

donny2112

Happy Anniversary Steam and thanks for making PC gaming much more user-friendly!

Joined for the Half-Life 1 for $0.98 sale in 2008. :)

Kater

Banned
You forgot about Early Access, OP! ;)

It's around 6 years since I made my first account on Steam and I still love it, even if I lost a bunch of games because the Steam Support never responded to me when I asked them to get me my login informations back for the first two of my accounts.
Now I have my third Steam account with 170+ games.
Happy Birthday, Steam.
And fuck you, Steam Support >;

flippeh

~3k ID. Still remember the night it all started, people rushing to create accounts. Absolute madness!

If my memory serves me right, the first version of Steam actually started as a private (and near the end a public) system for testing the CS 1.4 beta. The client had Speakeasy.net junk plastered all over it.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Years of Service
500 XP
Unlocked: 12 Sep 2013 @ 9:23am

Yey, happy birthday Steam.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Just amazing what it started out as and what it's become. Here's to another 10 years and what sights we'll see.

chadskin

Years of Service
500 XP
Unlocked: 12 Sep 2013 @ 5:52pm

But no Steam sale. And no gifts for all the loyal members. You're dead to me now, Steam. :(

Top Bottom