• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd |OT| I'll Miku-Miku GAF (For Reals)

Andrefpvs

Unlocked every Extreme song! Now the real fun begins.

Actually let's just try "The Intense Voice" right away so I can give myself a maniacal laughing fit.

Edit: I was humbled.

15691215949_a69eab744c_z_d.jpg

Nyoro SF

I forgot that the version of Musunde Hiraite in this game is really bad. Dunno why they laid a rock track over top of it.

Hycran

Banned
Having now played this I have to say that there are a lot of "improvements" that rashly make this game categorically worse than the first one.

1: Scratch notes can now be failed instead of just being good no matter how early or late you hit them
2: the combination song modifiers are not fun and combining 2 or more on any difficulty level makes the songs incredibly difficult to pass. Also they removed the "good and cool" modifier which was the best way to score extra diva points
3: the charting on some songs is just complete nonsense and doesn't match up to anything
4: the notes follow strange trajectories into the note slot. For some reason a lot of songs have notes that bend at the last second or they randomly change sequence in the song.
5: the pattern star notes are a disaster and not at all fun

that being said the game has some absolute classic songs on it and the normal formula stuff is good for the most part and letting you know about the unlocks is a nice addition. Enjoying it so far, but I know it could be so much better...

Actually let's just try "The Intense Voice" right away so I can give myself a maniacal laughing fit.

I liked how they did this in Miku Flick 02:

You clear all other songs, the credits roll and immediately kick you into Intense Voice on Extreme. At this point the song itself is not even unlocked and you have probably not even tried Extreme.

You fail out of the song and then it unlocks on Easy and Normal on your abyssmal results screen.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Based on what I've seen, don't think so. I didn't see any when doing my weekly "check to see if there's DLC up to post in OTs for games I have interest in".

bobawesome

I liked how they did this in Miku Flick 02:

You clear all other songs, the credits roll and immediately kick you into Intense Voice on Extreme. At this point the song itself is not even unlocked and you have probably not even tried Extreme.

You fail out of the song and then it unlocks on Easy and Normal on your abyssmal results screen.

How are the Miku Flick games, by the way? I keep forgetting they're a thing.

I'm curious because it'll be a little while before I get another Vita in my hands.

emiliano

Got it finally.
The game seems a good update of the old, now I'm perfecting the easy songs one after another, on 3rd/4th attempt, in a way that simply were impossible to me in the previous version, but it's normal since currently i'm playing hard difficulty on F. The hated slide-star notes and the other changes do not bother me, but currently I can't imagine the impact these changes have on the bigger difficulties.
I like the new effects for the differents type of notes, in particular the sound for the hold notes seems to help me better to avoid early releases of the buttons and understand the rhythm of the song.

How are the Miku Flick games, by the way? I keep forgetting they're a thing.

I'm curious because it'll be a little while before I get another Vita in my hands.

Miku Flick 02 now has two years' worth of DLC packs, which is pretty substantial (3 songs per pack for $4, 20 packs total). A lot of the songs are taken from Project Diva Arcade's original content. The last three packs added most of the songs from Miku Flick 1, so you really only need the second game.

It's a bit of a handicap if you can't read Japanese characters, but I find that at least on the lower difficulties you can fairly effectively sightread the targets. Might not work on Extreme, though.

TP

No Best Buys near me have it in stock
so next week ship to store for me
GCU though

I just got an email from BB telling me my copy of the game is no longer available for pickup; it was supposed to arrive tomorrow. I ordered it on release and it's supposedly been in shipping since then and now the Vita version is showing up as completely out of stock on their website

absolutely terrible, if I hadn't jumped on that GCU deal i'd never shop there again

pariah164

... Kagerou Days.

"English translation not available for this song."

Wat. I am just now realizing this after playing it almost 5 times. I am surprised. Just. Why?

Amir0x

Banned
my family is fucking trolling me this year with the gifts I'm getting, first what my fiancee gave me... and now my sister got me this game as a gift. is this game good? i mean, it's just like a regular rhythm game like EBA or something or even DJ Portable Maxx?? It's not going to turn me into some weird waifu obsessed weeaboo? (
i'm joking if it wasn't clear
)

i'm being silly of course but i'm really just asking if the core gameplay is strong enough for someone who doesn't care for Hatsune Miku herself. otherwise i can trade it in or something ya know?

Caladrius

my family is fucking trolling me this year with the gifts I'm getting, first what my fiancee gave me... and now my sister got me this game as a gift. is this game good? i mean, it's just like a regular rhythm game like EBA or something or even DJ Portable Maxx?? It's not going to turn me into some weird waifu obsessed weeaboo?

...Not the best way to introduce yourself in a topic

That said, the game is a standard 4-button rhythm game.

There is a "virtual pet" style mode, but that's completely unconnected to the main game. (aside from being able to use shop points earned from the main game to buy things for it).

Amir0x

Banned
...Not the best way to introduce yourself in a topic

That said, the game is a standard 4-button rhythm game.

There is a "virtual pet" style mode, but that's completely unconnected to the main game. (aside from being able to use shop points to buy things for it).

I'm just being silly as I said because getting the game was probably the most unexpected thing ever given my tastes, I just want to know if the gameplay is strong enough for someone who doesn't care for Hatsune Miku or that stuff. Is the gameplay fun, varied, challenging? Ya know, that sort of thing.

baekshi

Banned
I'm just being silly as I said because getting the game was probably the most unexpected thing ever given my tastes, I just want to know if the gameplay is strong enough for someone who doesn't care for Hatsune Miku or that stuff. Is the gameplay fun, varied, challenging? Ya know, that sort of thing.

It's pretty easy on easy. Normal is so so, can get hard there too if you're playing for first the time.

Extreme mode is where the challenge is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtbSadqIW9E

Caladrius

Ahh.

Well, boo to that. "No, I wrote this song for people to put in their earholes, but filthy Americans don't deserve to understand!"

And thus, Google exists.

Yeah, I never understood that either. Money's money.

Ah, gotcha.

I'd say it's pretty damned good on the first and third fronts. The core gameplay is rock-solid (though with PS3 versions you have to mess with calibration to compensate for input lag and make sure it feels right, which can be tricky.) and the game gets very difficult on Hard and Extreme (normal is no joke either)

As far as variety goes, The gameplay itself is fairly basic and consistent the whole way. That said the continual tricks and artifices the note charts pull the whole way makes it a fairly engaging and challenging affair even for experienced players.

Amir0x

Banned
It's pretty easy on easy. Normal is so so, can get hard there too if you're playing for first the time.

Extreme mode is where the challenge is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtbSadqIW9E

wow that looks right up my alley. seems my fingers would hurt from that shit haha.

alright i'll play it then. just vocaloid songs though right? kind of an annoying sound but I'll survive

Edit: What the heck at the end part of that song from the video, how do you beat it without being a robot!? that looks crazy

Caladrius

wow that looks right up my alley. seems my fingers would hurt from that shit haha.

alright i'll play it then. just vocaloid songs though right? kind of an annoying sound but I'll survive

Edit: What the heck at the end part of that song from the video, how do you beat it without being a robot!? that looks crazy

There's a fair amount of variety in the track list, so you'll probably find at least one or two songs you like. that song you just saw in particular milks the mechanical qualities of the Vocaloid singers for nearly all it's worth. Most of the other songs are a smidge more naturalistic-sounding.

And mastering two-handed gameplay is basically essential to surviving (and excelling) on extreme. The learning curve for doing so is fairly high, but it lets you accomplish some great stuff.

Amir0x

Banned
There's a fair amount of variety in the track list, so you'll probably find at least one or two songs you like. that song you just saw in particular milks the mechanical qualities of the Vocaloid singers for nearly all it's worth. Most of the other songs are a smidge more naturalistic-sounding.

And mastering two-handed gameplay is basically essential to surviving (and excelling) on extreme. The learning curve for doing so is fairly high, but it lets you accomplish some great stuff.

oh man this sounds like it's gonna return me to my days trying to high score DJ Max Portable and having my hands cramp for 12 hours afterwards

*cracks fingers*

welp time to get to it then >:D

dani_dc

Having now played this I have to say that there are a lot of "improvements" that rashly make this game categorically worse than the first one.

1: Scratch notes can now be failed instead of just being good no matter how early or late you hit them
2: the combination song modifiers are not fun and combining 2 or more on any difficulty level makes the songs incredibly difficult to pass. Also they removed the "good and cool" modifier which was the best way to score extra diva points
3: the charting on some songs is just complete nonsense and doesn't match up to anything
4: the notes follow strange trajectories into the note slot. For some reason a lot of songs have notes that bend at the last second or they randomly change sequence in the song.

5: the pattern star notes are a disaster and not at all fun

that being said the game has some absolute classic songs on it and the normal formula stuff is good for the most part and letting you know about the unlocks is a nice addition. Enjoying it so far, but I know it could be so much better...

I've been having issues mostly with points 3 and 4, really not liking those changes.
Regarding point 1). I think it was a fair change, even if I personally don't enjoy the stars sections too much so I didn't mind the not being able to fail at them.

As for point 5), pattern stars are really not a good addition either, randomly changes of speed is not my idea of good design, but at least you get used to them when you know the songs. So I imagine they won't be too big of an issue in the long run.

i'm being silly of course but i'm really just asking if the core gameplay is strong enough for someone who doesn't care for Hatsune Miku herself. otherwise i can trade it in or something ya know?

I didn't care for Miku either, and to be honest after getting the first game and playing it for 4 hours I thought I had done a mistake (I just couldn't get over the vocaloid voices).
I then ended up with 60 hours and got the second game at release.

Take that as you will.

Gameboy415

I just got an email from BB telling me my copy of the game is no longer available for pickup; it was supposed to arrive tomorrow. I ordered it on release and it's supposedly been in shipping since then and now the Vita version is showing up as completely out of stock on their website

absolutely terrible, if I hadn't jumped on that GCU deal i'd never shop there again

Man, that really stinks!
I got my PS3 copy of the game from BB (with GCU) at release and I had the Vita version pre-ordered at Gamestop but had to cancel it due to some money concerns at the time (which turned out to be a non-issue, blah!).

I was hoping to grab a Vita copy from BB but I doubt they're going to re-stock it so I went ahead and just ordered a copy from Amazon.
They seemingly only have 3-4 copies in-stock too - I tried adding 999 to my cart to test it and got a message saying they only had 3 available.

Yeah, Vita version is low on stock here too, I ordered the game a week before release and the shop only received 2 copies (I was the 4th person who ordered the game). The owner then had to order some copies from the UK and I was supposed to get the game this week, but due to lack of stock in the UK too I'll get the game next week :/

They should've really released more physical copies but oh well, I guess they didn't expect to go out of stock that easily

ChrisD

Akatsuki Arrival is such a fun song to play on Extreme. It's at that perfect difficulty where you can't zone out, but you also don't have to play with TOO much focus. Love the rush at the end, in particular. Spot-on beatmap makes it even more satisfying.

Acosta

My jaw literally dropped with ""This is the Happiness and Peace of Mind Committee".

First time I heard it, and "that" moment totally got me. Now I can't stop hearing it.

I also love "Wintry Winds" but it could be way better without Kaito. Meiko sounds completely spectacular here.

Yeah, I never understood that either. Money's money.

Kagerou Days is part of the Kagerou Project franchise, making it possibly the one song here that will make more money outside this game than in it.

Not surprising that this is the only untranslated song - the rights are probably more complex (and expensive) than any of the others.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
my family is fucking trolling me this year with the gifts I'm getting, first what my fiancee gave me... and now my sister got me this game as a gift. is this game good? i mean, it's just like a regular rhythm game like EBA or something or even DJ Portable Maxx?? It's not going to turn me into some weird waifu obsessed weeaboo? (
)

It's over for you... just hands off Luka, she's mine :p

bobawesome

Miku Flick 02 now has two years' worth of DLC packs, which is pretty substantial (3 songs per pack for $4, 20 packs total). A lot of the songs are taken from Project Diva Arcade's original content. The last three packs added most of the songs from Miku Flick 1, so you really only need the second game.

It's a bit of a handicap if you can't read Japanese characters, but I find that at least on the lower difficulties you can fairly effectively sightread the targets. Might not work on Extreme, though.

I see. Thank you for the information!
)

It starts off innocent enough, playing Project Diva f... Next thing you know, you're switching your avatar on NeoGAF and talking to others about your favorite Persona waifu. Then come the body pillows...

OMG Aero

Has Sega said when they're going to fix the additional character DLC not being free even if you own the previous game's version?

Has Sega said when they're going to fix the additional character DLC not being free even if you own the previous game's version?

I was able to just add the Additional Module DLC to the cart, and it showed up for free before checking out.

Man, the more I play Cantarella -grace edition- the more I wish V3 Kaito and Meiko songs would be featured more in Project Diva so I could stop bitching about how terrible they sound.

Wait.
We're getting Rolling Girl?!
:O
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50CnEwZ3gBo

Amazing song, but i'm pretty sure I could sight read that on extreme and perfect it, possible even first try.

Man, the more I play Cantarella -grace edition- the more I wish V3 Kaito and Meiko songs would be featured more in Project Diva so I could stop bitching about how terrible they sound.

Kaito's songs on F1 took a while to grow on me, but all of his songs on F2 are great, not the least of which are Cantarella and Wintry Winds

Top Bottom