• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd |OT| I'll Miku-Miku GAF (For Reals)

So I've played up through Blackjack on Normal, and yeah, people are right about normal being more challenging than in the previous game. Only got like one Excellent ranking so far, and most of it are Greats and a few Standards.

Also, so far the most of the songs I really like are the ones that have been out for a while and aren't exactly recent. Project Diva F was primarily music that was close to when that game originally came out. Here, the first song in the game is Melt, which is still pretty great. None of the new stuff I've not heard before hasn't really grabbed me off the bat, maybe later on when I do replays for higher scores.

Plus, already looking at the full song list, there's more solo songs with Luka that I like more than in F, so that's a major plus for me.

emiliano

So, guys. Which button sounds are you using? (EDIT: if you are using them, I can't believe I had to add this).

I'm using (Button 4) and (Scratch 5) like in Project Diva f, but I'm not really sure which to pick for Hold, Double, Link and D-Star.

I've always used the default sounds thinking they were the best (because of some strange belief of mine), but after reading your post, I've done some test and discovered with great astonishment that the game is really much easier using sounds with shorter duration(button 7 and stick 8). After that, I've got a perfect in a nostalogic hard and finally I've managed to complete negaposi and senbonzakura in hard, after being in the verge to surrender and resort to an helper (I'm that bad). I think the shorter sound for the button helps me to listen better the rhythm of the song, at least now I should be able to complete some extreme song!
And finally my order of F2nd is in transit. All it's right with the world.

Yuuichi

... How can a song that only uses O and X in Extreme can be so hard? I just barely made it through Kagerou Daze with a Standard rank because I failed both Technical Zones and the Chance Time at the beginning

Dat 199 BPM, I guess :s

inb4 git gud

Speed and complex patterns are what make that song as hard as it is.

True story, first time I played it on hard I quit all the way out of the game because I thought my game was glitched and only using two buttons.

ZeroX03

Banned
Oh man I held off on ordering the PAL Vita version for a while and they sold out. Didn't think it would happen so fast, fml.

Akatsuki Arrival is just the sort of song we need more of. However, we'll probably never see another song from the producer in these games since they almost exclusively use other Vocaloids.

SHarris78

Slightly worried guys......

Bought the song pack for this on Friday, and just checked to see whether the Nero/Haku/Teto module set is free yet (as I had bought it for the first game), which it isn't. However, I noticed that the song pack and the costume module pack are no longer up? Have they been taken down?

Hope I haven't spent £20 on nothing.

SHarris78

I can see the packs in this page
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-gb/search/f=^hatsune|bucket~games

Weird, wasn't showing for me when I searched. Glad all seems to be ok though, other than the 3 character pack still not being free.....

Demoskinos

Glad this is getting such a good response. I imported this earlier this year and it's a much better game than the first. Tempted to buy the English release on Vita but man do I not have the memory card space for that. :(

emiliano

Weird, wasn't showing for me when I searched. Glad all seems to be ok though, other than the 3 character pack still not being free.....
The strange thing is that the packs doesn't seem to be paired with the game, but could be simply the way it works. For the characters dlc, I can't download them until I have the game, so I don't know.

Thought that might be the case. Thanks for the help, now to find an import copy.
It's worth noting that nothing that would transfer over is otherwise unobtainable. I think the more important consideration when choosing what copy to purchase is which region's store you would like to purchase DLC from.

Andrefpvs

"This is the Happiness and Peace of Mind Committee" is a strange song.

Not "Rin-chan Now!" strange, but strange in an unexpected way.

system11

I think they got the difficulty wrong for this. The previous game was about as much as I could cope with on normal, with this one normal is just destroying me (failing to even finish most tracks initially), while easy mode is far too easy. Hugely disappointed, I really enjoyed the last game but this is too much. Blackjack with the 30fps update is just impossible to see the notes.

Edit: I absolutely hate Clockwork Clown. It's like they just splatted notes at random.

Caladrius

I wonder if the cross save does US-to-JP as well.

It's also one of the best tracks on the list, partially because of it.

ChrisD

I think they got the difficulty wrong for this. The previous game was about as much as I could cope with on normal, with this one normal is just destroying me (failing to even finish most tracks initially), while easy mode is far too easy. Hugely disappointed, I really enjoyed the last game but this is too much. Blackjack with the 30fps update is just impossible to see the notes.

Edit: I absolutely hate Clockwork Clown. It's like they just splatted notes at random.

For songs where notes seem random try hard mode. It actually makes some of them easier because of an actual beat to follow.

High difficulty is to be expected since this is the fifth installment in the series. Rebalancing the game for audiences that have not been with the series since the beginning is quite a fair bit out of scope as far as localization goes, unfortunately.

Kumubou

High difficulty is to be expected since this is the fifth installment in the series. Rebalancing the game for audiences that have not been with the series since the beginning is quite a fair bit out of scope as far as localization goes, unfortunately.
The issue with that is that the difficulty bump seems to have only applied to Normal. Hard and Extreme aren't any harder than they were in the previous games, which now makes Hard really awkward as a lot of the charts as basically Normal charts with 4 buttons. It would be one thing if the difficulty was ramped up across the board, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

system11

Trouble is that's the same kind of road fighting games went down. If you've made a sequel with a bad learning curve for new or lower skilled players you've already failed regardless of where you're releasing it. People who are good at the game are going to be in hard/extreme anyway.

baekshi

Banned

They're pretty inconsistent with the difficulty though, if they wanted to make room for more and harder difficulty then can just add another one instead of tweaking one to be more difficult.

Marche90

Using Kaito's modules in songs that are decidedly not for him is very annoying. Argh, getting that V3 module is going to be annoying as hell (EDIT: nevermind, I just got the module collector trophy, meaning I won't actively hunt for more modules), and the skins are going to be much worse. Getting the Platinum this time around won't be as easy as the last game

Speed and complex patterns are what make that song as hard as it is.

True story, first time I played it on hard I quit all the way out of the game because I thought my game was glitched and only using two buttons.

Definitely agree with what you said about the patterns, and lol at that story

It's one of the songs I like the most in the game, weirdness and all xD

I wonder if the cross save does US-to-JP as well.

It only works from JP>US/EU, it seems

I didn't like this one also >.>

I like the song, but the song chart is a different matter altogether :(

EDIT2: Considering that most likely the next game will come out in PS4, it's very likely that we get one at 60fps... I hope

system11

If they make any more they need to seriously look at getting the frame rate to 60, I've been trying Blackjack and it's really hard to track the notes. If CoD can run at 60 this sure as hell can.

The issue with that is that the difficulty bump seems to have only applied to Normal. Hard and Extreme aren't any harder than they were in the previous games, which now makes Hard really awkward as a lot of the charts as basically Normal charts with 4 buttons. It would be one thing if the difficulty was ramped up across the board, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

You don't think Extreme is harder this time around? I'm certainly having more trouble with F 2nd's charts across the board, not solely on Normal. Though, I don't have a good memory of F 2nd's Normal charts since I triple-challenged most of them on my initial playthrough lol

If they make any more they need to seriously look at getting the frame rate to 60, I've been trying Blackjack and it's really hard to track the notes. If CoD can run at 60 this sure as hell can.

The only reason I can see that the game would stick with 30 (especially when they had no problems hitting 60fps in the past) is to maintain parity with the Vita version. From the other visual tradeoffs present in the Vita version it's clear the hardware is struggling to run the game.

Normal and extreme difficulties definitly got a raise in difficulty.
I don't even think this is even debatable since , ( for me ) this is so obvious.
Hard however did stay the same overall.

ZeroAKA

Hard feels a little bit more difficult for me this time around, but that might be because I'm still not used to the songs yet.

Scher

Extreme is definitely a nice step up from what it was in f/F. It's nice that there's several challenging songs as opposed to the whole 2 that f/F had (Sadistic and NegaPosi). I can certainly understand those, though, that aren't too happy with the step up in difficulty for normal. That seems to be a pretty common issue with rhythm games where there's not a very nice middle ground in difficulty.

Also, I have to say that Rin's Raspberry Fox costume is absolutely adorable! Her ears twitch and I absolutely love that.

Soulflarz

Banned
Extreme is definitely a nice step up from what it was in f/F. It's nice that there's several challenging songs as opposed to the whole 2 that f/F had (Sadistic and NegaPosi). I can certainly understand those, though, that aren't too happy with the step up in difficulty for normal. That seems to be a pretty common issue with rhythm games where there's not a very nice middle ground in difficulty.

Also, I have to say that Rin's Raspberry Fox costume is absolutely adorable! Her ears twitch and I absolutely love that.

B-but I found extreme hard enough >.<

dani_dc

The "main" (PSP/Vita/PS3) series doesn't share much in common with Arcade anymore, but that's exactly what Arcade did - the top difficulty on Arcade is "Extra Extreme".

That's a shame, Sadistic and NegaPosi were too much for me in F, and if more songs in F 2nd are around that level I'll have no hopes of beating them.
At the same time I wouldn't them to dumb down the game for my own (and others like me) sake, so really shame that there's no "Extra Extreme" mode in this series.

ZeroX03

Banned
Phew found physical another copy for a reasonable price. Got this ordered and on it's way!
and no time to play

Baliis

... How can a song that only uses O and X in Extreme can be so hard? I just barely made it through Kagerou Daze with a Standard rank because I failed both Technical Zones and the Chance Time at the beginning

Dat 199 BPM, I guess :s

inb4 git gud

EDIT: Also, congrats Scher. I really wish I could be that good. Probably the best I'll be able to get in that song is a Standard rank if all the stars and planets align and allow me to. The only reason I can play the Extreme versions is because I have a decent sense of rhythm, since my coordination is absolutely terrible and that's what kills me.

How did I never realize that it only used two buttons? Fun song though.

PolyphonicBoy

Neo Member
I'm really hoping the songs in the new game grow on me. At the moment I'm thinking they're not nearly as good/catchy as the original game's.

I've actually gone back to the first game to unlock all the costumes before importing my save. It's go so many awesome memorable tracks.

hamchan

I think I need some time to grow on the songs too. I remember not really thinking much of Acute the first time I played it. Now I love that song, the original music video and the story it portrays.

emigre

The pre order Americana Moduale cross buy is still broken.

Sometimes, I just don't get why things just can't work.

I'm really hoping the songs in the new game grow on me. At the moment I'm thinking they're not nearly as good/catchy as the original game's.

I've actually gone back to the first game to unlock all the costumes before importing my save. It's go so many awesome memorable tracks.
There are songs in the original game I came to appreciate long after my initial playthrough like Acute and Nostalgic I think it was called, so I'd say just stick with it. I like 2nd's songs better actually.

So, I've been playing for almost a week. I'm loving it. At first I didn't care for the song selection, but as I play them more and more, they're starting to grow on me.
I'm not that good yet, but I've noticed the more I've been playing the more I manage to clear the harder songs. I think I can actually do it now!
My goal is at least get a standard on Two-Sided Lovers on extreme. It's my favorite song from the game.
I also looooove the song selections for Luka, so much better then the first game. I've played the Luka songs more then Miku.

Omikaru

I've found Normal to be more challenging this time around, compared to in the original PDF. However, I've moved on to Hard now and I'm working my way through all the songs, and I feel as if the difficulty hasn't been ramped up too much at this level (compared to the original game). In fact, I think anyone who can handle Normal mode on PDF 2nd could do Hard mode too without too much more effort.

There are a few tricky bits I can identify in some of the songs already, ones that will be a pain in my arse on the quest to Perfect as many as possible, but I haven't seen any songs which will be problematic for me once I've learned the song itself. The original PDF on Hard had some real bullshit moments that I found impossible.

Zhao_Yun

Just got the game and yeah the songs are harder on Normal in this game than in the previous one. I can therefore definitely see why people who mainly played on Normal in the previous games are getting difficulties in this game. Only played some songs thus far but I am already hooked once again and the faster loading times on Vita compared to the first game are really appreciated. Now just fix the Americana Module on Vita Sega.

edit: oh and I don't like those new star notes. Just played the Meiko/Kaito duet and at the end the star suddenly slowed down a lot and I completely missed the note. <.<

Top Bottom