• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd |OT| I'll Miku-Miku GAF (For Reals)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Having played World is Mine so much in PD and PD2nd I got Excellent my first try on the song. lol I'm glad to see it back in this though! I'm looking forward to grabbing Rollingirl later too.

ramyeon

why does linked stars exist
who thought it was a good idea
Finally got around to buying this today and these are pretty much my thoughts. Really not liking them or seeing the point really.

There doesn't seem to be any way to predict how they're going to behave on a first play through of any given song so you just have to kind of wing it and then memorise how quickly/slowly it moves between targets for any later play throughs.

There doesn't seem to be any way to predict how they're going to behave on a first play through of any given song so you just have to kind of wing it and then memorise how quickly/slowly it moves between targets for any later play throughs.

My solution so far is to look away from the linked stars and follow the music - it seems designed to be more confusing when you're looking at it.

Scher

oh nooooo are there really some unlockables that require playing on easy

maaaaan i don't wanna

Yep, and it sucks. I hate the "play each difficulty once" unlock conditions, but oh well. Got to get all those attachments!

My solution so far is to look away from the linked stars and follow the music - it seems designed to be more confusing when you're looking at it.

Following the music is really all you can do for the linked star notes, but that also requires you to know the song and know what rhythm it's following. It gets especially confusing on some of them when you're unlocking the higher difficulties, since the linked star notes might be following a faster beat on higher difficulties than they were on easier difficulties. Overall, I feel the linked notes are really poorly thought out since they're incredibly inconsistent with timing in relation to spacing just so they can make pictures.

Marche90

Yep, and it sucks. I hate the "play each difficulty once" unlock conditions, but oh well. Got to get all those attachments!

At least that one is easy to clear, and you can use challenge items to make it more difficult. The "Score X,X00,000 points across all playthroughs" unlock condition is a major PITA to do. It's still nothing compared to the unlock conditions for all the items in "I'll Miku-miku you", though...

Also, damn, I hate with a passion how they modified the gift system. Getting the last gift event that I'm missing is going to suck (The good Meiko sketch)

ChrisD

When is the Song DLC hitting on this, and has it been confirmed if the Song Pass will be gone by then? Was looking to buy the Pass after Christmas, but it was brought to my attention that it may not be staying.

I wonder if this game will come to be known as a black sheep of the series. Lots of repeats from the PSP games, complaints of a less memorable tracklist than 1st, the star beats getting pretty much universal criticism, much more difficult normal setting making it less accessible, and beatmaps that are a lot tricker and less "linear" than the previous entries. Still a fantastic game by pretty much any standard, but there's a lot that can be improved in 3rd, whose localization is pretty inevitable considering the reports of higher-than-expected demand for 2nd. I'm eager for the future of this series, even though imo it's destined to suffer burn-out before long.

Well Diva 2nd also had lots of repeats from the very first diva game and they managed fine ( it was also the one where they introduced double notes ) so i'm not worried

The question is where will they go from there ? Especially considering their flow of dlc ²and the track list because Those Pv aren't going to make themselves.

I predict a F3rd game that will be a "supercharged version" of f2nd ( like extend was regarding to 2nd ) , hopefully for ps4 too.
Hopefully , if that happens all issues regarding sharing and broadcast will be dealt with properly by SEGA//CRYPTON

Marche90

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a PS3/PS4/Vita version of F 3rd/Extend, tbh... it's what I hope, at least.

So this finally happened. Now to never touch this song on Extreme again

LSDbU9W.jpg

When is the Song DLC hitting on this, and has it been confirmed if the Song Pass will be gone by then? Was looking to buy the Pass after Christmas, but it was brought to my attention that it may not be staying.
I'm having difficulty finding the source but I'm certain it has been said the song and costume club packs do not have expiration dates.

EDIT: Found it.

NullPointer said:
There is no timelimit, as the Club offers will be available on an ongoing basis. However, note that if you purchase a few items a la carte, the Club offer prices don't change, so there's decreasing savings until the point where it's no longer a deal. The Club offers are ultimately for people who just know they want everything (in the way you know you want all the songs), so if you aren't sure, then you might want to consider just picking up the ones you really want. The choice is yours!

You could always get the $50 PSN cards that are on eBay right now for $40 and use it towards that.

Ok mikugaf, I need some advice. I played a few songs of PDF2 and really liked it, but decided I wanted to go back to the first game and try to do some of the extreme tracks. I've got an E at least on all tracks on hard, but christ some of the inputs in extreme are so fast that I can barely fathom pulling it off.

Specifically quick segments like the sets of three triangles here:

Am I missing something? Do I just need to get good?

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Ok mikugaf, I need some advice. I played a few songs of PDF2 and really liked it, but decided I wanted to go back to the first game and try to do some of the extreme tracks. I've got an E at least on all tracks on hard, but christ some of the inputs in extreme are so fast that I can barely fathom pulling it off.

Specifically quick segments like the sets of three triangles here:

Am I missing something? Do I just need to get good?
Use the d-pad to alternate between it and the buttons. Up is triangle, left is square, right is O and down is X.

Edit: I suppose you mean f/F and not the first PSP game which didn't have d-pad support.

ChrisD

Where did you hear about this? I'm curious.

It was just a random GameFAQ's post. Not quite a reputable source, but I figured it was worth checking in case.

Looks like it's here to stay? Sounds good.

On the topic of how to hit notes, I've started holding one button in arrow strings. Up 'til now I would hit both buttons rapidly for numerous arrows. It feels like some hack, lol. Has to be better on the button strain...

ChrisD

Welp, that's a hell of a game changer. It makes so much sense I can't believe I didn't think to do that on my own haha.

Eventually you'll start seeing every note group as patterns rather than buttons. It makes songs a lot more rewarding and turns some beatmaps you may have found spammy to be pretty great.

LowParry

I find myself rather curious about getting the arcade controller for this game. But that price just kills me. Either way, glad people are enjoying the game. The song selection is more enjoyable in F2 to me. Slowly starting to lean into Extreme play but Hard is my go to fun play time. Hopefully sales justify a 3rd one for next gen consoles.

On the topic of how to hit notes, I've started holding one button in arrow strings. Up 'til now I would hit both buttons rapidly for numerous arrows. It feels like some hack, lol. Has to be better on the button strain...
It's worth noting doing this has a scoring penalty that was introduced in f/F (in that you forgo a visible 200 pt bonus for doing a double without holding one of the two inputs beforehand). No effect on clear points though, of course.

ChrisD

Huh. Glad it's only a point penalty, but that's a curious addition. I was looking at it like holding the pedal while playing piano. Guess that's not quite what the developers had in mind if they discourage you from doing such.

Nyoro SF

It was just a random GameFAQ's post. Not quite a reputable source, but I figured it was worth checking in case.

Looks like it's here to stay? Sounds good.

To be honest that method is the only way I can do those arrow strings. I am simply not fast enough.

Platinumed. I don't complain much about silly stuff in video games, but the Diva Room and some of the gift giving-event making stuff is just silly.

ramyeon

Maybe it's because I haven't played a rhythm game since the last Project Diva F came out, but songs on Normal feel way harder than that here. They feel like some of the songs did on Hard in the original Project Diva F.

emiliano

I'm really enjoying the songs so far. Some of the songs enchant me, like Break it Break it, Meiko's voice in this song is superb.

I'm really enjoying the songs so far. Some of the songs enchant me, like Break it Break it, Meiko's voice in this song is superb.

YES. I was not a fan of Meiko in PDF/f, but her voice is easily the best in Break it, Break it. Sounds so natural.

It's a testament to how much I like her song that I got Excellent on it on Extreme, but can't even get "Great" on some other songs on the same/lesser difficulty ._.

My favorite song is from PDF2nd is still Cantarella though :D Are the lyrics translated in the English version (I only have the JP releases)? The original lyrics are kinda...sensual.

Yasumi

Banned
YES. I was not a fan of Meiko in PDF/f, but her voice is easily the best in Break it, Break it. Sounds so natural.

It's a testament to how much I like her song that I got Excellent on it on Extreme, but can't even get "Great" on some other songs on the same/lesser difficulty ._.

My favorite song is from PDF2nd is still Cantarella though :D Are the lyrics translated in the English version (I only have the JP releases)? The original lyrics are kinda...sensual.

Yep, only thing that didn't get translated was Kagerou Days because licensing issues.

Marche90

Platinumed. I don't complain much about silly stuff in video games, but the Diva Room and some of the gift giving-event making stuff is just silly.

I'm just missing the last trophy (the one for having all the Diva Room items), and I agree 100% with you. Getting the platinum in the last game was enjoyable. Here, not so much...

Oh, and I managed to raise my rank in Kagerou Daze extreme o/
Went from standard to Excellent. Now to do the same on This is the Happiness and Peace of Mind Comittee...

oggob

Finally, the physical Vita version came in today and I'll get to play it... still awaiting the PS3 version though...

The pain and suffering to buy locally from Australia at times, though from what I can tell, it is a super rare print over here, only 1 store picked it up.

Finally, the physical Vita version came in today and I'll get to play it... still awaiting the PS3 version though...

The pain and suffering to buy locally from Australia at times, though from what I can tell, it is a super rare print over here, only 1 store picked it up.

where did you buy it? I need to knowww.

Yep, only thing that didn't get translated was Kagerou Days because licensing issues.

Ahh.. thanks for the link :) Was super curious as how they would translate it.

As I thought, Cantarella is nigh untranslate-able. It has too many double entendres to convey the proper meaning in English.

oggob

Brian★;141087424 said:
where did you buy it? I need to knowww.

Pre-ordered via JB HiFi... I think your only hope now is to go to your local, ask if any store has it in stock and hope they can transfer the game to your local.

The PS3 version can be purchased online via JB though

Reknoc

So far This is the Happiness and Peace of Mind Comittee is my favourite song, love the bait and switch at the beginning.

Actually playing the game is a nightmare though, I was never especially good at f but normal on f 2nd is just insane and when I feel like I've finally got hold of it the pattern goes full john fucking madden on me. Which is impressive when I only need to worry about 2 buttons.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
I contacted Sega of Europe support and I got a crossbuy code for the Americana module.
The new DLC entry in the download list says both PS3 and Vita while the old doesn't have an icon and only says PS3.
*shrugs*

Scher

So far This is the Happiness and Peace of Mind Comittee is my favourite song, love the bait and switch at the beginning.

Actually playing the game is a nightmare though, I was never especially good at f but normal on f 2nd is just insane and when I feel like I've finally got hold of it the pattern goes full john fucking madden on me. Which is impressive when I only need to worry about 2 buttons.

Part of that, too, is just that the track or particular rhythm that normal is following isn't always readily apparent. There are certain songs, especially, where the patterns seem like absolute nonsense just because it doesn't follow the song very well in exchange for having less notes to hit (Clockwork Clown is really awful about this).

MW_Jimmy

Finally finished on Normal last night. As my first Miku game I've really warmed to it the more I've played.

One question though - does changing the characters change the vocals of the song? I've changed a few to Miku and it doesn't seem to have made a difference?

Caladrius

Finally finished on Normally last night. As my first Miku game I've really warmed to it the more I've played.

One question though - does changing the characters change the vocals of the song? I've changed a few to Miku and it doesn't seem to have made a difference?

Typically, no.

antibolo

Banned
Part of that, too, is just that the track or particular rhythm that normal is following isn't always readily apparent. There are certain songs, especially, where the patterns seem like absolute nonsense just because it doesn't follow the song very well in exchange for having less notes to hit (Clockwork Clown is really awful about this).

I totally hate Clockwork Clown, the timing is just wrong, period.

For everyone who has purchased the game, be sure to fill out this survey: http://www.sega.com/pdf2survey/

(Psst: if you hate linked stars as much as I do, you should totally leave feedback and ratings reflecting that!)

That's a shame - doesn't seem like a good idea to change gender for a song then!

That hasn't stopped anyone from doing it anyway! My convention save has nearly every song set to feature a shirtless Len.

I've never tried it myself, but while you can't do it in the Project Diva games, I believe the Project Mirai games have some songs that switch to a different vocal track if you use different characters.

Top Bottom