• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd |OT| I'll Miku-Miku GAF (For Reals)

antibolo

Banned
Alright, this is the best I did this morning:
KsDEcaQ.jpg

I'm deliberately trying to dual wield as much as possible so I'm still making a few dumb mistakes. I feel like I could bring it down to less than 20 missed notes if I didn't take any unnecessary risks (most of those missed notes being in the Chance Time of course).

I still can't consistently pull off that Chance Time but I'm working on it. I should note that I'm currently playing on Vita with sticks for star notes though, because tbh I don't even understand how this could be physically possible on other control methods due to physical travel distance (ie. Vita with touchscreen, or PS3 with sticks). I should try on my PS3 tonight.

Paradichlorobenzene still baffles me though.

I should note that I'm currently playing on Vita with sticks for star notes though, because tbh I don't even understand how this could be physically possible on other control methods due to physical travel distance (ie. Vita with touchscreen, or PS3 with sticks).

The travel distance needed for touch input is not further from the buttons than the sticks. I've had no issue just scratching along the edge.

antibolo

Banned
The travel distance needed for touch input is not further from the buttons than the sticks. I've had no issue just scratching along the edge.

I guess that's true, but making sure that the swipe gets properly registered during such a short time window of going back in forth with the double arrows sounds frustrating as hell? I've grown to hate touch control so much now that I'm playing seriously, I feel a lot less nervous with enabling the stick control option in the sequel. But you're right, I should try it out, maybe I'll get better results.

Doing it on the PS3 controller still sounds insane though. I'm sure it's not that much harder but I don't even want to attempt it.

I guess that's true, but making sure that the swipe gets properly registered during such a short time window of going back in forth with the double arrows sounds frustrating as hell? I've grown to hate touch control so much now that I'm playing seriously, I feel a lot less nervous with enabling the stick control option in the sequel. But you're right, I should try it out, maybe I'll get better results.

Doing it on the PS3 controller still sounds insane though. I'm sure it's not that much harder but I don't even want to attempt it.

I don't really have issues triggering scratches on a Dualshock 3; in a pinch it's sufficient to just nudge the stick from the side rather than trying to get a fingertip onto it. The biggest issue I have is the tendency for a single scratch motion to register twice due to the bounceback, which can easily break combos.

It seems like some people have an easier time with sliding than others, possibly due to differences in skin texture, oils, sweat, etc. I've seen plenty of people who act like it's the smoothest, most natural thing in the world to scratch with the touchscreen. Meanwhile, the only way I have any hope of smooth sliding and accuracy is if I rub my thumb firmly and rapidly on my pants for a moment, which I guess scours it clean or something, at which point sliding is nice and smooth for the first 50-75% of a song before it starts to get bad again. Being able to use the thumbsticks in f 2nd vita is the only reason I have any real hope of doing well in the more difficult extreme sings.

antibolo

Banned
It seems like some people have an easier time with sliding than others, possibly due to differences in skin texture, oils, sweat, etc. I've seen plenty of people who act like it's the smoothest, most natural thing in the world to scratch with the touchscreen. Meanwhile, the only way I have any hope of smooth sliding and accuracy is if I rub my thumb firmly and rapidly on my pants for a moment, which I guess scours it clean or something, at which point sliding is nice and smooth for the first 50-75% of a song before it starts to get bad again. Being able to use the thumbsticks in f 2nd vita is the only reason I have any real hope of doing well in the more difficult extreme sings.

For me it seems to vary from day to day. On some days I never miss a single one and on others it's just False Positive City, no matter how careful I am. I guess that ambient moisture has something to do with it.

With the stick option in F 2nd the Vita has become my preferred platform for high level play, I find that I can pull off quick stuff a lot easier with the tiny buttons and the much superior d-pad, while no longer having to worry about touchpad false positives.

It seems like some people have an easier time with sliding than others, possibly due to differences in skin texture, oils, sweat, etc.

My biggest obstacle with scratching is that I still keep scratching off the edge of the touchscreen and dropping random scratches. I don't reach far enough with my thumb to consistently avoid the edge.

I'm surprised at how I never read about this from anyone else here, in fact.

Is there a good resource for finding great edit play songs? I downloaded a couple top-rated from the in-game list and they're all pretty bleh :\

emiliano

I feel it would not really be an issue making the PS3 version run at 60fps, but the PS3 version is being held back on purpose to maintain parity with the Vita version.
They could leave the video at 30fps and animate at 60 only the notes, similarly to what I've seen in the 4 player split-screen in Mario Kart 8. I don't think that just the notes would take that much of a toll even on Vita. If it were possible, that would be a good compromise that allow to preserve the parity.

antibolo

Banned
My biggest obstacle with scratching is that I still keep scratching off the edge of the touchscreen and dropping random scratches. I don't reach far enough with my thumb to consistently avoid the edge.

I'm surprised at how I never read about this from anyone else here, in fact.

I always scratch far from the sides, near the center of the screen, to avoid that.

Although I see how that would be impossible with the Kagerou Daze Chance Time lol

They could leave the video at 30fps and animate at 60 only the notes, similarly to what I've seen in the 4 player split-screen in Mario Kart 8. I don't think that just the notes would take that much of a toll even on Vita. If it were possible, that would be a good compromise that allow to preserve the parity.

I've told the producer on SoA's end that they should do something to this effect, and he just shook his head in response. It's clear there are already some concessions being made in exchange for performance on the Vita version, given the visuals are still not being rendered at native resolution. Perhaps that alone means there just isn't enough wiggle room left to selectively double the draw rate of the UI elements.

Kumubou

I would argue that it's actually important to be able to do fast sequences with one hand, if only because the hardest charts in the game will require you to move at that speed with each hand at certain points. I wouldn't advise playing like that full time, but every chart in both F and F2nd can be done one handed.

but every chart in both F and F2nd can be done one handed.

I know this isn't what you mean but now I'm wondering if someone is crazy enough to try literally this.

Theoretically you could reach both sets of buttons with your thumb and pinky and do scratches with two other fingers...

emiliano

I've told the producer on SoA's end that they should do something to this effect, and he just shook his head in response. It's clear there are already some concessions being made in exchange for performance on the Vita version, given the visuals are still not being rendered at native resolution. Perhaps that alone means there just isn't enough wiggle room left to selectively double the draw rate of the UI elements.
Well, that settle the matter I figure. It's obvious that the flashy graphics and the parity accross the versions of the game are two important keys for the success of the franchise. Anyway I hope in a future special anthology version of the game on PS3/4, with no bounds to Vita.

OMG Aero

Does anyone at SoA even have any input into this besides localisation things?

antibolo

Banned
Oh fuck I finally got the Chance Time in Akatsuki Arrival. Feels like a huge breakthrough.

Every time I tell myself I should take an extended break from the game, it reels me back in.

ChrisD

I would argue that it's actually important to be able to do fast sequences with one hand, if only because the hardest charts in the game will require you to move at that speed with each hand at certain points. I wouldn't advise playing like that full time, but every chart in both F and F2nd can be done one handed.

I don't notice any slowdown in my single-hand play, and I use both for the slowest of the slow, or the fastest. I'm sure it's there, but it doesn't make itself so obvious as to be an issue. Though it is a good idea to switch back to one every once in a while, juuuust in case.

Oh fuck I finally got the Chance Time in Akatsuki Arrival. Feels like a huge breakthrough.

Every time I tell myself I should take an extended break from the game, it reels me back in.

Awesome! Akatsuki Arrival is a favorite. Claimed it as one of the funnest to play back when the game first released, and I'm sticking with the opinion. Everything has a clear pattern, nothing is really just thrown at you. It makes it all flow so nicely. Great to see you take it down.

Procrastination - 1
Syncopation - 0

wKd4AZv.jpg

My mind can't handle all them off-beats haha. I raise a glass to you.

Kikirin

Procrastination - 1
Syncopation - 0

wKd4AZv.jpg

Nice 'mikumiku' score. =P

Getting Excellents are about the best I can hope for - single-digit Safe/Bad/Miss is just too frequent an occurrence for me. I'm also not very fond of the fact that an unfortunate combo breaker or two, and/or a missed Chance Time, locks me into a Great or worse overall rating. Especially you, Envy Catwalk - you'd be a 99+ grade Excellent if I could only clear that Chance Time...

iJfbQiOU4zNvz.png

Let's find out who is the best of the best!

Play Two Breaths Walking on Hard difficulty, and PM me a screenshot of the score screen (on Vita, press the PS button and Start at the same time; on PS3, press the PS button, scoot over to the Photos tab on the left, and select Save Screenshot). The highest score that I receive by 2/9 at 5:00 PM EDT will be the champion! Do not use any Help items, though Challenge items are acceptable.

The prize: The top score will receive a promo code for the Pre-Order Items - the Americana Module and the two AR/Live Studio songs!

dlc_chara_01_04.jpg

dlc_studio_201403_01.jpg

dlc_studio_201403_02.jpg

(US/Canada only, unfortunately. If you already have the DLC or are unable to redeem it, you are still free to participate but please leave me a note that you cannot claim the prize so it can go to a runner up.)​

antibolo

Banned
Ugh, I can't stop obsessing over Cat Food Extreme. I feel like I'll never be at peace with my capabilities until I can pull off the overlapping notes section of this otherwise trivial song. It's like it's taunting me. Who's brilliant idea was it to make an extremely easy song with such a brutally difficult section? The sudden change in pace totally throws me off every time and I hate it so much.

antibolo

Banned
I assume the way to get the highest possible score is to a) get as much COOLs as possible and b) hit double notes with both sides at the same time, right?

Marche90

(US/Canada only, unfortunately. If you already have the DLC or are unable to redeem it, you are still free to participate but please leave me a note that you cannot claim the prize so it can go to a runner up.)

Wait, what? How come? We can use all the DLC codes from the US/Canada region here in Mexico, so code compatibility shouldn't be an issue! :(

The worst part of it is that this would be the second time I got screwed over the Americana module, since I preordered the game, but the game retailer I bought the game with didn't carried any promotion for it.

Kikirin

I assume the way to get the highest possible score is to a) get as much COOLs as possible and b) hit double notes with both sides at the same time, right?

You'd want to prioritize getting a full combo over the other two listed. And COOLs are much more impactful during link notes and Chance Time.

antibolo

Banned
You'd want to prioritize getting a full combo over the other two listed. And COOLs are much more impactful during link notes and Chance Time.

Well of course I assumed that anyone attempting the challenge would post a Perfect run anyway, so a full combo was implied.

Kikirin

Well of course I assumed that anyone attempting the challenge would post a Perfect run anyway, so a full combo was implied.

It's still worth noting that a full combo is worth considerably more though. For example, I recently had a run with 5 fewer Goods than average - which is like squeezing water out of a stone once you're getting to the lower double digits of non-Perfect notes - but broke combo once with 1 Safe. However, it is a whopping 10k points lower than the full combo.

hamchan

I think it goes without saying that you need a minimum full combo to even stand a chance in the score challenge, with almost all cools.

Andrefpvs

I think at this point it would actually be harder for me to go back to Hard difficulty than to play on Extreme, ahah. That's one of my favourite songs and I'm probably used to the pattern by now.

I'll probably enter, but I'm not expecting much from myself. Also, my game is the European version :p

Either way, thanks for the competition, Star. That's very cool of you!

ChrisD

I was obsessed with the song in December, but haven't touched it in a while. Perhaps that's enough to wipe the pattern memory.

And yeah, thanks for holding this, StarCreator!

Wait, what? How come? We can use all the DLC codes from the US/Canada region here in Mexico, so code compatibility shouldn't be an issue! :(

The worst part of it is that this would be the second time I got screwed over the Americana module, since I preordered the game, but the game retailer I bought the game with didn't carried any promotion for it.
Well, I'm willing to let you try the code if you win, but I can't guarantee that the code will work outside US/Canada.

Repost for new page:

iJfbQiOU4zNvz.png

Let's find out who is the best of the best!

Play Two Breaths Walking on Hard difficulty, and PM me a screenshot of the score screen (on Vita, press the PS button and Start at the same time; on PS3, press the PS button, scoot over to the Photos tab on the left, and select Save Screenshot). The highest score that I receive by 2/9 at 5:00 PM EDT will be the champion! Do not use any Help items, though Challenge items are acceptable.

The prize: The top score will receive a promo code for the Pre-Order Items - the Americana Module and the two AR/Live Studio songs!

dlc_chara_01_04.jpg

dlc_studio_201403_01.jpg

dlc_studio_201403_02.jpg

(US/Canada only, unfortunately. If you already have the DLC or are unable to redeem it, you are still free to participate but please leave me a note that you cannot claim the prize so it can go to a runner up.)​

antibolo

Banned
Man what is it about overlapping notes that makes them look so much faster than they really are? Whenever I persistently fail a particular section I usually find later that I was simply trying to input it too quick.

I can still only clear the Akatsuki Arrival Chance Time about one time out of ten but I feel like I'm slowly getting a better grasp of it. I feel I could manage an Excellent if I could only get both the 2nd technical zone and the chance time within the same attempt, ugh!

Top Bottom