• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd |OT| I'll Miku-Miku GAF (For Reals)

pariah164

They keep coming.

YILMgRY.jpg
Now if only I could Perfect Break It, Break It! on Extreme.

SHarris78

Just unlocked the exreme version of the training song, jeeeeeez that thing is crazy!

I failed miserably of course and will never go back to it, you'd need to be a machine to do well on that thing!

bobawesome

I never really bothered with the editor in Project Diva f but xtokashx's PV edits really have me interested in giving it a try when I pick up this game.

I don't think I'll have the patience to work on something like this for 80-100 hours, though.

Man what is it about overlapping notes that makes them look so much faster than they really are? Whenever I persistently fail a particular section I usually find later that I was simply trying to input it too quick.

I can still only clear the Akatsuki Arrival Chance Time about one time out of ten but I feel like I'm slowly getting a better grasp of it. I feel I could manage an Excellent if I could only get both the 2nd technical zone and the chance time within the same attempt, ugh!

Rushing was the bane of my existence when I played the guitar and now it is was also the bane of my existence when I played rhythm games. Once I got over that hump though it was a whole new world.

antibolo

Banned
Whoooo after much cursing I finally got an Excellent at Extreme Akatsuki Arrival, it was driving me nuts. I can finally take a much needed break from the game and think about something else for a while.

I can't get better than a standard on Clockwork Clown normal difficulty, so I won't be taking part!

Clockwork Clown is a really nasty song (the rhythm is very unclear), I recommend you avoid this one for now if you don't want to be tricked into thinking that you are less skilled than you currently are.

Kanra

So I ordered this game yesterday and it should be arriving tomorrow if everything goes well. Any tips for someone new to these type of games?

pariah164

So I ordered this game yesterday and it should be arriving tomorrow if everything goes well. Any tips for someone new to these type of games?
- Start on Easy mode. For real. F 2nd is the harder of the two games that are on Vita; I was getting Standard on Normal songs, and I'm a veteran to this series.

- Learn to alternate. The face buttons and the d-pad can be used to hit the same notes (triangle and the up button, circle and the right button, etc.). This technique will be essential to hitting some notes on the harder difficulties.

- Don't get discouraged if you fail. There is no shame in it. Pick yourself up, take a deep breath, and try again. The more you play a song, the easier it will become, but don't burn yourself out. Taking a break is always an option, as is using help items.

- Most importantly, have fun. It's my favorite rhythm franchise for a reason.

Also, buy Project Mirai DX when it comes out in May.

antibolo

Banned

I recommend you start with the previous game. As pariah164 already said, F 2nd is a big step up in terms of difficulty. You'll want to get into Hard difficulty as soon as possible since the "real" game starts here (ie. all buttons are used), but in F 2nd even Normal songs are not newbie-friendly so it's going to be a uphill battle.

Also note that F and F 2nd share no songs whatsoever so it's not redundant at all to own both.

Kanra

Thanks guys. Guess I'll start on easy and work myself up and read up on techniques. I'd get the first game if I could find it for cheap. Also
I do plan to get Project Mirai DX!

antibolo

Banned
First game is on PSN, btw. PS3 version is probably long out of print, and Vita version never got a retail release in the West.

emiliano

I'm alternating random normal songs and extreme songs between my attempts to beat two breaths walking, as a means to not being too tired, but god that song it's difficult anyway. In the meantime I've got my first perfect ever in a extreme song! It's really easy compared to two breaths.

CpiAidf.png

This felt at best like a 5 stars, not 7. It feels good anyway!

Edit:

That surely just me, so take this advice with a pinch of salt, I play PD much better while standing rather then being seated. Like, I can't even start to warm up otherwise. I don't know why, since that for the other games I don't even think about it, I play them regularly.

macklelol

After too many attempts, finally got a perfect on 2D Dream Fever!

And I just want to say that I really dislike link scratches even more now that I'm trying to play for a good score. It's dumb how getting a good near the beginning of a chain of link scratches just kills the amount of points you get.

yyr

I can't get better than a standard on Clockwork Clown normal difficulty, so I won't be taking part!

I got a Perfect on Two Breaths Walking Hard after three tries today. Tried to do the same with Clockwork Clown Normal since I didn't have a Perfect on it yet. Gave up. That chart is awful.

What I'm saying is the same thing antibolo said. If you want to say "sorry, I stink because I can only get X on song Y," my reply is "either you don't stink, or you need to pick a different song Y!"

Andrefpvs

And I just want to say that I really dislike link scratches even more now that I'm trying to play for a good score. It's dumb how getting a good near the beginning of a chain of link scratches just kills the amount of points you get.

Holy crap, congrats! This is top level stuff right here!

antibolo

Banned
A Perfect on a 10 star song with 3 challenge items??

Are you even human?

Also why do I keep reading this thread, I only hurt myself doing so.

yyr

Once I get used to more of the Challenge items than just Cool Master I hope to use more also.

The fact is, you won't have to do any grinding for DP later if you're able to use enough Challenge Items to jack the amount you earn while normally playing. That was certainly true in the first game, anyway.

Also, thank you StarCreator for giving me a reason to break free of my recent Picross and beatmania IIDX addictions and go back to this game =)

Kikirin

Congrats! And done with an awesome Cool ratio at that, too.

A Perfect on a 10 star song with 3 challenge items??

Are you even human?

The thing with the challenge items is that they generally only affect the visual cues of the notes and don't mess with the timing at all. If you know a song well enough to know the rhythm by audio cues and receptacle spacing, then items that affect the appearance of the notes flying in wouldn't strongly affect your play at all.

The thing with the challenge items is that they generally only affect the visual cues of the notes and don't mess with the timing at all. If you know a song well enough to know the rhythm by audio cues and receptacle spacing, then items that affect the appearance of the notes flying in wouldn't strongly affect your play at all.

I would argue the challenge items serve as an aide to experienced rhythm game players. It is relatively common for high level players to intentionally speed up visual cues as a means to declutter it; once reaction times are sufficiently built for a given game, it is considered favorable for the visual cues to be faster in order for there to be fewer cues shown at once. You see this a lot in players of Konami's Bemani series of games where it is not unusual for players to triple or quadruple the normal scrolling speed of notes. What we're seeing here is likely the same principle - combining High Speed and Micro Notes (or whatever they're called in the localization) is an effective quadruple speed increase.

Kikirin

I would argue the challenge items serve as an aide to experienced rhythm game players. It is relatively common for high level players to intentionally speed up visual cues as a means to declutter it; once reaction times are sufficiently built for a given game, it is considered favorable for the visual cues to be faster in order for there to be fewer cues shown at once. You see this a lot in players of Konami's Bemani series of games where it is not unusual for players to triple or quadruple the normal scrolling speed of notes. What we're seeing here is likely the same principle - combining High Speed and Micro Notes (or whatever they're called in the localization) is an effective quadruple speed increase.

Ah, I can see that being the case regarding those two items, having seen people playing DDR / IIDX / O2Jam with ridiculous scroll speeds. Not being able to see / anticipate upcoming notes freaks me out though, so I tend not to make my scroll speeds too ridiculous (2.5x at most).

Yasumi

Banned
New DLC today.

Songs:
Rolling Girl

Costumes:
Chinese Debut
Rolling Girl
Mikudayo

Skins:
Kaito (Flower)
Crimson Leaf

That's awesome! I didn't expect another round of DLC this soon. And it's even Rolling Girl! I just hope the clubs will work as intended this time around in Europe...

Kikirin

If you dig it I can't recommend Trilogy highly enough. It's far easier to play on keyboard than it is using the PSP, which generally gets to be a pain on 6k/8k mode.

Kinda reviving a conversation thread that's ran its course, but I grabbed DJ Max Trilogy after hearing about it for the first time on this thread. It should be arriving just in time for me to go deep into it this weekend. \o/

Marche90

Well... wasn't planning on buying anything before buying the song pack, but I really, really need Rolling Girl. Shit.

Guess I'll just cancel my Crunchyroll subscription for a few days.

Edit: Aaand, bought, along with the module.

Andrefpvs

The new stuff is up on the EU store already and the song club is working. Downloading Rolling Girl right now.

Whoa, EU content releasing on a Tuesday!

Maybe it's an apology for last time's shenanigans.

EDIT: New song sounds very good! If I had to describe my first impression, I'd say it sounds like Miku's Tokyo Teddy Bear.

Andrefpvs

Rolling Girl on Extreme is looking like a great song to learn new skills. It's throwing stuff at me that I can't quite deal with yet. I'm really liking it!

Edit 1: The scratch note section at the beginning is really satisfying to play.

Edit 2: I enjoy those bits that go like Square followed by a quick Down. It makes you be quick with your primary hand.

Nyoro SF

Got the new song. It was a lot of fun, but I barely passed. Those patterns are brutal, especially the off-color arrows mixed in which I still demand to be jettisoned into orbit.

I'm actually willing to pay money for a training mode at this point.
Just kidding, please make it free. :(

Looking forward to the next song DLC release on 2/17!

Top Bottom