• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd |OT| I'll Miku-Miku GAF (For Reals)

Kikirin

Guys, has anyone here played DJ Max Fever (PSP)?

I'm looking to try another rhythm game since I'm hooked on the Project Diva games.

Would you guys recommend this game? Will any of my Project Diva skills help in this game? I was thinking of using the 10% PSN code with it this weekend.

Played it, liked it, would recommend. General rhythm game skills still apply, pressing buttons in time to the music and having the dexterity to keep up with the patterns. I feel like the game is a lot more honest as a rhythm game, lacking the visual trickery of some of the Project Diva's note charts. Overall, it is closer to the Beatmania IIDX games, and may be more challenging than the PD games.

Assuming that you've only played Project Diva up to this point, one of the biggest challenges may be adapting to the paradigm of playing multiple "parts" of the music simultaneously. For example in that video linked, there are parts where the player is playing both the percussion and the melody at the same time.

There are a couple issues that can make it pretty difficult to pass the hardest songs. For one, the construction of the Vita/PSP d-pads prevents particular combinations of notes from being played cleanly/correctly. Second (if I remember correctly), the game forces you to map buttons for speed up and speed down. Accidental presses could blind you for a brief moment as you scramble to change it back to your preferred speed. Generally not an issue for a majority of the songs though.

That and watch out for some of the game-breaking bugs.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'm a big fan of DJ Max - Fever isn't the best of them, but serves as a decent entry to the series.

If you dig it I can't recommend Trilogy highly enough. It's far easier to play on keyboard than it is using the PSP, which generally gets to be a pain on 6k/8k mode.

There's also DJ Max Technika on Vita, which is done completely by touch rather than using the face buttons.

Andrefpvs

I haven't played that version of the game but I really enjoyed Portable 2 on PSP and Trilogy on PC.
I'm a big fan of DJ Max - Fever isn't the best of them, but serves as a decent entry to the series.

If you dig it I can't recommend Trilogy highly enough. It's far easier to play on keyboard than it is using the PSP, which generally gets to be a pain on 6k/8k mode.

There's also DJ Max Technika on Vita, which is done completely by touch rather than using the face buttons.
Played it, liked it, would recommend. General rhythm game skills still apply, pressing buttons in time to the music and having the dexterity to keep up with the patterns. I feel like the game is a lot more honest as a rhythm game, lacking the visual trickery of some of the Project Diva's note charts. Overall, it is closer to the Beatmania IIDX games, and may be more challenging than the PD games.

Assuming that you've only played Project Diva up to this point, one of the biggest challenges may be adapting to the paradigm of playing multiple "parts" of the music simultaneously. For example in that video linked, there are parts where the player is playing both the percussion and the melody at the same time.

There are a couple issues that can make it pretty difficult to pass the hardest songs. For one, the construction of the Vita/PSP d-pads prevents particular combinations of notes from being played cleanly/correctly. Second (if I remember correctly), the game forces you to map buttons for speed up and speed down. Accidental presses could blind you for a brief moment as you scramble to change it back to your preferred speed. Generally not an issue for a majority of the songs though.

That and watch out for some of the game-breaking bugs.

Thank you very much for the detailed information!

A couple of extra costs just popped up, so that means I won't be able to get it right now, but I'll definitely keep it under my radar!

Why didn't anyone tell me that this game was PSTV compatible?? Dammit Sony, get on the fucking ball with updating your store list. How come this is something that the people who maintain the PSN store can't do? it's their job! I stumbled across a youtube video that happened to be running on a PSTV, which is how I learned that it was compatible. The fact that there is no good place to learn this stuff is infuriating as a PSTV only owner.

I'm loving the system as a piece of hardware, but I hate Sony's support of it so much :( it's like they wanted it to fail from day zero.

hamchan

Why didn't anyone tell me that this game was PSTV compatible?? Dammit Sony, get on the fucking ball with updating your store list. How come this is something that the people who maintain the PSN store can't do? it's their job! I stumbled across a youtube video that happened to be running on a PSTV, which is how I learned that it was compatible. The fact that there is no good place to learn this stuff is infuriating as a PSTV only owner.

I'm loving the system as a piece of hardware, but I hate Sony's support of it so much :( it's like they wanted it to fail from day zero.

It's pretty awful yeah. Sony are just so incompetent as a company sometimes. Also the 1st game works on PSTV too.... but only the Japanese version! The inconsistencies of their whitelist between regions is infuriating.

neohwa

music are better in the 2nd one than the first imo. can't wait for the 3rd one!

any way to turn off the annoying background so I can see the music notes more clearly? this is the only music rhythm series that make my eyes hurt.

music are better in the 2nd one than the first imo. can't wait for the 3rd one!

any way to turn off the annoying background so I can see the music notes more clearly? this is the only music rhythm series that make my eyes hurt.

no theres no way to disable the video in the background.

Scher

Is there a faster way to get all these events? specifically the gift events one since you need to wait over a time period to give them gifts again.

If you have the extra characters, then you don't have to wait to give them more gifts. Other than that, there's not really any quicker way to get them.

ChrisD

So I've finally managed to get a Standard on this edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajALVVMI-og

I'm currently trying to increase my speed and this song is really good practice. Exclusively dual wielding pretty much everything for the longest time (even slow songs) has made me pretty slow overall and I'm now trying to rectify that.

I uh... I got an Excellent on Two-Sided Lovers. That's like... One-tenth the difficulty of that song, but it's still something. :L

Where did you get the Edit? Kind of want to try my hand at it. Sorry if that's a dumb question with an obvious answer, I've never touched any menus outside of the game and module shop haha.

I uh... I got an Excellent on Two-Sided Lovers. That's like... One-tenth the difficulty of that song, but it's still something. :L

Where did you get the Edit? Kind of want to try my hand at it. Sorry if that's a dumb question with an obvious answer, I've never touched any menus outside of the game and module shop haha.

In order to play edits you need the edit data (notes + video) and the corresponding mp3 file. You can get the mp3 in the description of the youtube video. For the edit data go into the network section of the game and search for the user id 'hisokeee'. You can then download and save the edit data.

Edits can be a lot of fun but unfortunately most of the best ones are exclusive to the japanese version.

SHarris78

Finding some of the note charts a bit off in f2nd. I only play on easy/medium as I prefer enjoying the music and trying perfect songs rather than the stress the hard/extreme mode brings, but Clockwork Clown and the jazzy number with Miku (forget the name) don't seem right. I press the buttons when I would expect they need to be pressed to stay in time with the song and i'm getting safes at best.

Never had this issue in the original game (which had the far better soundtrack imo), it may be I just don't like those songs and thats reflecting how I play them, I don't know.

Finding some of the note charts a bit off in f2nd. I only play on easy/medium as I prefer enjoying the music and trying perfect songs rather than the stress the hard/extreme mode brings, but Clockwork Clown and the jazzy number with Miku (forget the name) don't seem right. I press the buttons when I would expect they need to be pressed to stay in time with the song and i'm getting safes at best.

Never had this issue in the original game (which had the far better soundtrack imo), it may be I just don't like those songs and thats reflecting how I play them, I don't know.

I felt the same way on normal on a few of the songs. It seemed like they were trying to follow the rhythm of the song, but chose an intuitive part of the instrumentation or something like that. For what it's worth, I didn't notice it when I played through the songs on hard.

Scher

Speaking of edit data, since it was mentioned earlier, does anyone have any recommendations for fun edits that can be downloaded on the english version? I'm always looking for more songs to play but don't really know vocaloid songs very well, so I'm not sure what is and is not interesting.

Wonko_C

A few days ago I got my Vita stolen (with my import copy of PDf and a localized copy of F 2nd ;_;). While I save enough money to buy a new Vita, I want to buy the PS3 version of F 2nd. Will Cross-Save enable me to continue where I left off from the Vita version?

(Finding a copy of either version will be next to impossible, though. It seems stores carried only one copy this time around)

A few days ago I got my Vita stolen (with my import copy of PDf and a localized copy of F 2nd ;_;). While I save enough money to buy a new Vita, I want to buy the PS3 version of F 2nd. Will Cross-Save enable me to continue where I left off from the Vita version?

(Finding a copy of either version will be next to impossible, though. It seems stores carried only one copy this time around)

If you had cross save enabled while you were playing on Vita, yes. By default the game syncs progress at start and whenever you return to the main menu. You would have seen the network access happen; it's not transparent at all.

antibolo

Banned
When people talk about "dual wielding", does that mean switching hands between every single input? Or just in repetitive chains of the same button? How do you high level guys play, exactly??

I feel like my skill level has capped a long time ago and I realize now that I am probably clueless on how to actually play this game at a high level, hence why I am no longer seeing any improvement, and most 8+ level songs still seem utterly impossible for me to get anything better than a very struggling Standard (if not pass the song at all), to a point where I completely stopped trying to even think about playing them.

I already use both hands, but only by alternating between them at regular intervals to avoid fatigue and cramps in harder songs. But I guess that's not enough?

When people talk about "dual wielding", does that mean switching hands between every single input? Or just in repetitive chains of the same button? How do you high level guys play, exactly??

I feel like my skill level has capped a long time ago and I realize now that I am probably clueless on how to actually play this game at a high level, hence why I am no longer seeing any improvement, and most 8+ level songs still seem utterly impossible for me to get anything better than a very struggling Standard (if not pass the song at all), to a point where I completely stopped trying to even think about playing them.

I already use both hands, but only by alternating between them at regular intervals to avoid fatigue and cramps in harder songs. But I guess that's not enough?

When going into Extreme in Diva f, I usually tried switching hands in repetitive chains, but now in F 2nd I'm finding myself trying to do it between every single input, which usually works fairly well. If you want to learn to do that, I'd recommend trying Wintry Winds, which has a lot of alternating buttons (slow at the beginning, then faster for the rest of the song).

antibolo

Banned
When going into Extreme in Diva f, I usually tried switching hands in repetitive chains, but now in F 2nd I'm finding myself trying to do it between every single input, which usually works fairly well. If you want to learn to do that, I'd recommend trying Wintry Winds, which has a lot of alternating buttons (slow at the beginning, then faster for the rest of the song).

Switching between every single input sounds like it would require me to throw away all existing muscle memory I have built up in the game and start from scratch. It freaks me out!! Do all high level players do that?

Personally, I don't switch hands for every input on Project Diva. I really don't think it's particularly necessary, though it's possible the very tip-top level of play, like Perfects on the hardest Extreme tracks, require it, as I've passed every song (sans DLC, haven't bought that yet) only alternating on fast streams.

If you choose to learn it, teaching yourself to switch hands doesn't require as much of a total rewrite of what you know about rhythm games as it seems. I had been playing Taiko for years with one hand designated to each type of note before I realized clearing harder songs that way is near impossible. My performance worsened a bit as I tried to learn to switch hands, and it felt forced for a little while, but after a month or so, it became more natural that trying to play how I was before.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.

If you're in US it's available at Amazon and Gamestop for $30 now. Newegg and Best Buy, too, but they've sold out.

antibolo

Banned
Another question: what is a good song to practice faster-than-one-hand-can-handle streams? I still can't do them consistently, and they're my biggest roadblock right now.

I'm currently going through perfecting all Hard songs in the first game, and I've already taken care of the two highest-rated songs (Negaposi Continues and Sadistic Music Factory), but the ending of Senbonzakura totally slaughters me and I feel totally helpless to it, despite having already cleared what are supposedly harder songs. Those damn fast streams just aren't being absorbed into my muscle memory at all.

Kikirin

I aim for the former, but in practice I only do them on strings of 3+ of the same note or when the gaps between different notes are rather large. This is mainly because I still have some bad habits though, like always starting the dual wielding strings with my right hand, so it feels very strange when I'm caught starting on the off-hand.

Like the following string as straight eighth notes:
XXXOOOO
RLRLRLR

I also have some trouble dual wielding on strings of alternating notes if I don't have sufficient time to get my hands into position ahead of time:

And this pattern is the worst for dual wielding:

Andrefpvs

Another question: what is a good song to practice faster-than-one-hand-can-handle streams? I still can't do them consistently, and they're my biggest roadblock right now.

Probably Kagerou Daze (after the Chance Time) and Akatsuki Arrival's Chance Time (both on Extreme).

They're super satisfying to play as you improve on your dual-wielding.

emiliano

Using or not dual-welding, I feel like I will never be able to pass the second technical zone of Intense Voice in normal. Today I've tried to film the song to be able to study it at limited speed, but even after learning the pattern, I found the last sector physically impossible to do at normal speed because of the damned doubles. This is what I'm trying to do:

OOO > XXX v OOO > XXX XX
RLR B RLR B RLR B RLR LR

There is a specific way to do this?

antibolo

Banned
Probably Kagerou Daze (after the Chance Time) and Akatsuki Arrival's Chance Time (both on Extreme).

They're super satisfying to play as you improve on your dual-wielding.

But Akatsuki Arrival's fast strings are only at the end of the song, how is this of any use for practice? Is there a song with a similar setup near the beginning (or even the middle)?

And Kagerou Daze is just waaaaaaaay out of league.

I'm not even at the level of tackling strings with multiple buttons, simple button strings of 4+ overlapping notes are still totally impossible for me. I don't know if I have a mental block or something, but whenever I see more than three overlapping notes I just can't do it, I completely stumble every time, regardless of whether I attempt to dual wield or not. What should be an trivial song like Extreme Cat Food just crushes me at that one tiny part in the middle of the song where there's like 7 overlapping notes. I try my hardest at "feeling" the beat of the song by listening closely to the music but it has NEVER worked so far.

It's completely soul-crushing and totally prevents me from further advancing my skill level in the game. I feel like I'm missing something in clearing them but I can't find it. It's driving me completely insane and is the main reason why I had given up on improving myself all this time up until these past few weeks.

So I guess my real question is where can I practice those goddamn overlapping notes? As in, a song with them near the beginning? I need to solve this block once and for all.

Nyoro SF

Using or not dual-welding, I feel like I will never be able to pass the second technical zone of Intense Voice in normal. Today I've tried to film the song to be able to study it at limited speed, but even after learning the pattern, I found the last sector physically impossible to do at normal speed because of the damned doubles. This is what I'm trying to do:

OOO > XXX v OOO > XXX XX
RLR B RLR B RLR B RLR LR

When I get home I'll take a look at this song and see if I can dispense some advice for this part for you. I really hate doubles, but on Normal it should be manageable using some sort of straightforward strategy.

Intense Voice of Antibolo

Kagerou Daze Extreme past the first chance time was an excellent suggestion that shouldn't be overlooked though. The notes don't overlap visually but the sequence is fairly fast and begins after Chance Time ends. The song only uses two colors out of four max regardless of difficulty. The whole song is a pure exercise in speedy sequencing. I wouldn't worry about passing it overall just trying the first two parts over and over until you start hitting at a reasonable level.

Thinking about the road block that Extreme Two-Faced Lovers is for me is an annoyance, but I'm certain that someday I'll beat it. Pretty much all the notes past the first part begin overlapping at high speeds.... ;_;

Scher

So I guess my real question is where can I practice those goddamn overlapping notes? As in, a song with them near the beginning?

I would say two very good songs for this would be Paradichlorobenzene and Two-Sided Lovers. Both songs are rhythmically simple, and they have plenty of overlapping notes in sets of 3 close to the beginning. So, if you're just looking to get acclimated to alternating between the regular face buttons and the D-pad, those might be good songs to look at. Cat Envy Walk starts out with sets of overlapping notes, although that is a little more complicated and might be difficult to read if you're still getting used to alternating your button presses.

Outside of those, there aren't really a whole lot of songs that consistently give you short strings of overlapping notes, much less towards the beginning.

antibolo

Banned
I would say two very good songs for this would be Paradichlorobenzene and Two-Sided Lovers. Both songs are rhythmically simple, and they have plenty of overlapping notes in sets of 3 close to the beginning. So, if you're just looking to get acclimated to alternating between the regular face buttons and the D-pad, those might be good songs to look at. Cat Envy Walk starts out with sets of overlapping notes, although that is a little more complicated and might be difficult to read if you're still getting used to alternating your button presses.

Outside of those, there aren't really a whole lot of songs that consistently give you short strings of overlapping notes, much less towards the beginning.

Ah, Paradichlorobenzene feels like a pretty good one to start with, thanks. It's relatively slow and the tempo is clear. I'm gonna grind the hell out of this song.

Intense Voice of Antibolo

It's like Intense Voice of Hatsune Miku, but all lyrics are replaced with angry grunts and swearing.

I'm going to be at MAGFest 13 this weekend. If you're in the area, stop on by! I have this set up in a lonely corner of the console gaming area:

hEFjreL.jpg

(I'm also helping manage these guys...)

Aww, wow! Always wanted to play on one of these. If I were in the area I totally would!

Have fun ^_~

-Horizon-

Haven't got this game yet but saw that it was on sale on Amazon and started googling more info about it. Liked the first game but I found out there's no Mitchie M song at all in the 2nd one? Disappointed :(

antibolo

Banned
Haven't got this game yet but saw that it was on sale on Amazon and started googling more info about it. Liked the first game but I found out there's no Mitchie M song at all in the 2nd one? Disappointed :(

Yeah that bummed me too, Mitchie M is my favorite Miku composer.

-Horizon-

Is it a sale, or a price drop? It's also $29.99 at GameStop now, too, on both PlayStation 3 and Vita.

The first game is full price or more at both Amazon and GameStop, though. :/

I might end up getting F 2nd first just because of the price. The only game I have is Project DIVA 2nd on PSP.
I hope its a permanent price drop because I can't afford it right now and I don't think I've seen that game or the first one on sale before. Though I already bit the bullet on the first game a while back at full.

All DLC so far is only returning songs from the pre-F games, so unfortunately I don't think there will be any? Maybe some experts here can confirm.
Super disappointed then.

At least the overall song list I'm looking on the wiki page looks better than the first game.

Sitrus

Oh boy, magnet on extreme is so fun. I find playing single handed here works better than dual-wielding for me. Time to get perfect :)

Nyoro SF

OOO > XXX v OOO > XXX XX
RLR B RLR B RLR B RLR LR

OK Just did this one. So in this one you have to master holding down the last button in the sequence and tapping with the other.

Right Left Right(HOLD) Left
Then the hard part
Lifting up at least one finger and continuing the sequence from there. This just takes pure speed at that junction, no real way around it.

So if anyone from SEGA is reading this right now... Project Diva Training Mode. And while you're at it, put the game on Steam/PS4 so I can be mediocre at 60fps.

This game has got me to go back and play original Diva F on my PS3 for a bit now. The latency and input lag was such a problem in the first one for, and the calibration tools were not good for me to figure out what the sweet spot would be. Thanks to picking Diva F 2nd though, which had a much better calibration tool, I was able to figure out where a good setting would be for the first game too, and I've been having fun playing some of those songs again ^_^

emiliano

OK Just did this one. So in this one you have to master holding down the last button in the sequence and tapping with the other.

Right Left Right(HOLD) Left
Then the hard part
Lifting up at least one finger and continuing the sequence from there. This just takes pure speed at that junction, no real way around it.

So if anyone from SEGA is reading this right now... Project Diva Training Mode. And while you're at it, put the game on Steam/PS4 so I can be mediocre at 60fps.
Thank you very much! This is exactly what I was seeking. I will try that when I'm back from work.

I agree, 60 fps and a serious training mode would be both a real step forward in this game.

Mendax

I just got this 2 days ago. Yesterday my Len asked me if it was ok to change the channel on the display and I agreed. After that he put a still image of Meiko and Luka lying on top of each other, turned to me and did something that looked like an "ALLLRIGHT" gesture.

game of all time.

antibolo

Banned
Ok, I did dismiss Kagerou Daze too quick. I'm now alternating between it and Pachiyadayada and I think I'm starting to see improvement.

If any newcomers to the game are reading this, for god's sake don't do the same mistake as I did and LEARN DUAL TAPPING AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Once you can perfect a Hard song after a few attempts, you have already reached the upper limit of your skill and you will NOT improve any further with single hand tapping. The longer you procrastinate, the more demoralizing it will become, as I am experiencing now.

Andrefpvs

But Akatsuki Arrival's fast strings are only at the end of the song, how is this of any use for practice?

Fair enough, but you'll notice I said "the Chance Time", not the entire song. When you think you are good enough at dual-wielding, come back to this song. Trust me, it'll be so satisfying.

And Kagerou Daze is just waaaaaaaay out of league.

Tip: the song only uses X and Circle. Don't worry about the Chance Time for training purposes.

Top Bottom