• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd |OT| I'll Miku-Miku GAF (For Reals)

ChrisD

Wait nevermind CRISIS AVERTED, I skimmed over it in a quick check on the Vita. Why no Live Area love though? That's what I typically check on for updates.

ChrisD

NEVERMIND
LIVE AREA CAN NEVER UPDATE AGAIN
KEEP IT AWAY

RyTaDkl.jpg
Ten tries! I know that the button patterns are all simple, but I'm still shocked that it "only" took me ten to get it. Goes to show how much knowing a song like the back of your hand helps. Probably the only Vocaloid track I listen to outside of the games. :pmes. :p

SHarris78

Keep getting 'Could not connect within the time limit' errors when trying to download 2 of the new modules. Plus only one of the two skins are showing up.

PSN and this game have been a nightmare since day one.

antibolo

Banned
Ugh and I regret looking at this thread yet again. Every time there's new DLC there's always a "well that was easy, I perfected that new song on Extreme with only X tries" post that ruins my enjoyment of that new song.

There's no way I'll ever be able to perfect a 9 star song.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Kinda reviving a conversation thread that's ran its course, but I grabbed DJ Max Trilogy after hearing about it for the first time on this thread. It should be arriving just in time for me to go deep into it this weekend. \o/

I'm proud of you. You have made an excellent decision.

Sitrus

Ugh and I regret looking at this thread yet again. Every time there's new DLC there's always a "well that was easy, I perfected that new song on Extreme with only X tries" post that ruins my enjoyment of that new song.

Just play it a few times, Rolling Girl on one of the easier 9-star songs. It's also a good song to listen to :)

yyr

With any music game, there will always be players both above and below your current level of skill. Don't let them distract you from enjoying the game at *your* level.

If it is important to you, you will practice and improve, and your level will naturally increase over time. If this is not important to you, and you prioritize other things instead, that is fine. You can continue to enjoy the game at whatever level you're at.

In beatmania IIDX I'm currently working on level 7. Most 8s are impossible for me to pass right now. I have friends that can pass 10s, 11s or even 12s, and rarely fail anything, so their games generally last longer than mine do, and watching them play is nearly pointless because I can't even read those charts. I try my best to ignore this and simply focus on what I'm doing. Not only is the game more enjoyable, but I can make better progress when I'm simply focusing on the goal directly in front of me.

I still play In The Groove 2 every week. I play mostly level 9 through 11. I see experts passing 13s, 14s and 15s, and I've finally accepted the fact that at age 35, I am likely past the point of physically being able to ever pass those. I may not even ever be able to pass a 12. But I'm not going to let it stop me from enjoying the game at my current level. Meanwhile, I've gotten my fiancee into it also. She is currently working on moving from level 4 to 5, which is the first major difficulty wall to climb. =)

So I just watched the PV of Rolling Girl and read the subtitles. I guess it's about the depression of a lonely girl and her suiciding at the end? Made me kinda sad.
Great song and PV with some some pretty neat Chance time additions.

So, I downloaded Rolling Girl, but when I try to play it, it just sits on the loading screen forever. The previous DLC plays fine. I tried to find somewhere where I can just delete the DLC and redownload it, but apparently in Sony's infinite wisdom, that isn't a thing you can do. Any suggestions?

So, I downloaded Rolling Girl, but when I try to play it, it just sits on the loading screen forever. The previous DLC plays fine. I tried to find somewhere where I can just delete the DLC and redownload it, but apparently in Sony's infinite wisdom, that isn't a thing you can do. Any suggestions?
Are you on PS3 or Vita?

Sorry, Vita.
Was there a patch accompanying this DLC set? Check for patches first; should just require a refresh of the livearea.

You might be able to just download it a second time and see if it'll overwrite the previously downloaded data. If not... make sure your cross save data is set, do a backup, and delete the entire bubble in order to redownload everything.

antibolo

Banned
I was looking at my Vita download list and it looks like they messed up the PS3 downloads because they were shown as downloadable on Vita, maybe your problem is that you mistakenly installed the PS3 version of the DLC?

Was there a patch accompanying this DLC set? Check for patches first; should just require a refresh of the livearea.

You might be able to just download it a second time and see if it'll overwrite the previously downloaded data. If not... make sure your cross save data is set, do a backup, and delete the entire bubble in order to redownload everything.

Tried redownloading the song, it gave me an error, the song started downloading anyway, and now it's working. That was weird. Thanks!

ChrisD

Been working on this since the day the game launched. So happy I finally got it.

Now for Hard mode...
;_;

Still can't even clear Extreme with a Standard. :(

I also learned that playing that song is impossible without earphones. Shoot, playing any song without earphones is difficult for me if the Vocaloid's voice is drowned out by the music. You can't hear what beat you're trying to hit! The opening "SEEEEEGAAAAAA" also sounds really different with/without headphones. It has more of a... tinny sound to it without them.

antibolo

Banned
With any music game, there will always be players both above and below your current level of skill. Don't let them distract you from enjoying the game at *your* level.

If it is important to you, you will practice and improve, and your level will naturally increase over time. If this is not important to you, and you prioritize other things instead, that is fine. You can continue to enjoy the game at whatever level you're at.

Well that's the problem I'm having, over the past two years I've been playing F and F 2nd with the latter mindset and enjoying myself without caring about others. But ever since I read this post I've been feeling like a complete incompetent for not being any better (if not worse) than a person who's owned the game for only two weeks, and I'm now stuck fighting an uphill battle to catch up on all that time I've let my skills stagnate, which only makes me frustrated and burns me out.

I'd like to be able to enjoy the game again at my own pace like I used to, but I don't know how to go back to my initial mindset, and it is driving me insane.

yyr

That sounds like when I meet someone who's been playing In The Groove 2 for six months and can already pass 13s, when I've been playing step games for about 15 years and will never be able to do that. Of course, those people are usually literally half my age. At first I was pretty bothered by this, but it was how I came to better realize that we all get better at (insert skill here) at different speeds.

That post doesn't speak for the author's music game experience. Generally, if you're already very good at other music games, you can make the transition from one game to another pretty easily, retaining your skills and being able to skip to the harder difficulty levels fairly quickly. If the author had that prior experience, it's natural that they would have been able to progress quicker than someone who didn't.

Everyone's different. But nothing someone else can do should take away from your own feeling of accomplishment when you clear something new, or achieve a new Great or Excellent. Smile and enjoy. =)

Kikirin

I was about to post something along the lines of what yyr said, but s/he's put it much more succinctly than I could. If you need to, go back to earlier difficulties and curbstomp your old scores to see how far you've come.

hamchan

Well that's the problem I'm having, over the past two years I've been playing F and F 2nd with the latter mindset and enjoying myself without caring about others. But ever since I read this post I've been feeling like a complete incompetent for not being any better (if not worse) than a person who's owned the game for only two weeks, and I'm now stuck fighting an uphill battle to catch up on all that time I've let my skills stagnate, which only makes me frustrated and burns me out.

I'd like to be able to enjoy the game again at my own pace like I used to, but I don't know how to go back to my initial mindset, and it is driving me insane.

I think you might have to step back from the game if you're this naturally competitive and it's bringing you down.

Try playing some other rhythm games maybe? The skills transfer over in rhythm games, so playing an easier rhythm game and dominating it will make you feel great instantly. Or maybe go the opposite route and play something a lot harder like DJMAX. When you come back to a Project Diva you'll find it very easy comparatively.

Kolma

I kicked Miku 2's butt fairly quickly (not perfects but I don't care to play songs 5+ times in a row to do that)
However I did play a ton of Miku before that.
And before that I played a ton of other rhythm games on various platforms and styles, Rock Band, Guitar Hero, DDR, Parappa, Ouendan, Theatrhythm.

One of the biggest things that helps, other than playing various rhythm games and having the skill transition over, is being able to feel the music and sorta let your fingers take over for you.
I never picked up on it myself (that I was doing it) till my gf came along and asked how do I know how many times to press a certain button before stopping or switching to another.
While playing/listening to the song it's not just hitting the buttons to the beat as you see them but sorta knowing how the song goes and when the beat changes either in tempo or to a different note.
One you start to understand that you will see the game less like
OOOOOOO ok.. there are 7 notes, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 stop
and more like
OOOOOOO bada,bada,bada,ba
Knowing/paying attention to up/down beats helps as well when you start to play faster notes alternating between your left and right hands.

Sorry if this all sounds confusing but it's just the way It plays in my head and I assume others as well who play on the higher difficulties.

Anyways, above all else.
Don't give up, have fun.
And ALWAYS push yourself to higher difficulties.
I can't believe how many people would never move to hard or expert on rockband/guitar hero just cause they didn't want to deal with 1 more button *shakes head*

antibolo

Banned
Actually I've already asked A Huge Battleship (we had a few PM exchanges where I explained my problem) and no, they were not an existing expert at rhythm games beforehand.

In any case I've largely put their achievements behind me now (I've yet to perfect Hard Senbonzakura, but I did do Negaposi Continues and Sadistic Music Factory so I don't feel entirely hopeless), however the lingering feeling of self-conscious anxiety still remains, and I can't shake it off despite my continued efforts (getting an Excellent at Extreme Akatsuki Arrival last Sunday made me feel better, but the buzz has already worn out). I'm starting to wonder if I can ever enjoy this game again, and it is bumming me out because I used to have so much fun, but now it feels like it has been taken away from me.

Anyway, I'll go away from this thread now, as I'm sure everyone must be sick and tired of me at this point.

Kikirin

I wonder if it'd be helpful for people to learn how to count and subdivide beats in music to better understand rhythm. There's a lot more going on under the hood than "press this button when it lines up with the receptacle," and it is very much a science (or math). Knowing how to break down melodic lines down to the component beats, half-beats, quarter-beats, and occasional triplets - which all have very specific time lengths and fall along very specific parts of a beat - could help people properly anticipate / read rhythms. Even Clockwork Clown's random-seeming melody fits in these precise timing rules, being rooted largely on off-beat entrances.

yyr

If you've got Perfects on those, then you've definitely got skillz. Don't forget that there will be other folks envious of the skillz you have!

I do agree that it sounds like you could use a break (from the game). I would suggest clearing your mind with something else for a while, a few weeks at least.

If you want to try a different music game, on Vita there's DJMAX Technika Tune, which is absolutely worth the asking price. with its awesome soundtrack of around 70 songs. It's entirely touchscreen-controlled though, so if that is a turnoff to you, you could also consider the DJMAX Portable series. The third game is available on PSN and playable on Vita, but is a bit expensive at $40...it's been on sale for $20 before and probably will be again. If you still have a PSP lying around, there are many available games in the series that are inexpensive to obtain.

On iOS or Android you could try Cytus, which has tons of songs and gameplay inspired by (and similar to) DJMAX Technika. iOS also sports the excellent jubeat Plus and Reflec Beat Plus, which are adaptations of Konami's arcade titles of the same names (sans the Plus). On console, X360's classic Boom Boom Rocket is worth a look. Rock Band is always worth going back to, but you could also try Rock Band Blitz, which plays somewhat like Harmonix' older games.

And if you want something on Vita other than a music game? I love the Disgaea series, I'm looking forward to trying the Persona games, and then there's my personal favorite game of 2014: TxK, which is an action-packed shooter best experienced with headphones on and the lights off. If you like electronic music, the soundtrack is freaking amazing.

Hope this post helps others as well who might be looking for something else to play from a big fan of Project DIVA =)

Kikirin

If you want to try a different music game, on Vita there's DJMAX Technika Tune, which is absolutely worth the asking price. with its awesome soundtrack of around 70 songs. It's entirely touchscreen-controlled though, so if that is a turnoff to you, you could also consider the DJMAX Portable series.

Is there a lot of overlap in the song list between this and DJMAX Trilogy? If not, I'll have to add it to the queue in spite of reservations with touchscreen controls.

antibolo

Banned
I actually already have Technika Tune. Haven't played it in a while, maybe I should try again. I think I should take a break off of rhythm games in general though.

Project Diva F was not my first rhythm game, I've played a bunch of them over the years, including EBA/Ouendan (imported both Ouendan games), the Rhythm Heaven series (including the first one which I imported), Gitaroo Man, Theathrythm, Guitar Hero and Rock Band, etc. Never in any serious fashion though, just very casually for the sake of it. And apart from GH/RB I had no friends in real life who cared so it was mostly kept to myself.

In beatmania IIDX I'm currently working on level 7. Most 8s are impossible for me to pass right now. I have friends that can pass 10s, 11s or even 12s, and rarely fail anything, so their games generally last longer than mine do, and watching them play is nearly pointless because I can't even read those charts. I try my best to ignore this and simply focus on what I'm doing. Not only is the game more enjoyable, but I can make better progress when I'm simply focusing on the goal directly in front of me.

I still play In The Groove 2 every week. I play mostly level 9 through 11. I see experts passing 13s, 14s and 15s, and I've finally accepted the fact that at age 35, I am likely past the point of physically being able to ever pass those. I may not even ever be able to pass a 12. But I'm not going to let it stop me from enjoying the game at my current level. Meanwhile, I've gotten my fiancee into it also. She is currently working on moving from level 4 to 5, which is the first major difficulty wall to climb. =)

This man knows what he's talking about. Glad to hear you're still playing :) Now you're fiancee is starting to play? Awesome. Hope she has a ton of fun!

I just skimmed through the comments but I'll just say don't try to compare yourself to others when it comes to rhythm games. Everyone works at a different pace. Have fun with what you can do. Slowly but surely you'll hit the next level. It's commom to hit a roadblock but you shouldn't be discouraged. Don't give up! Even if it takes weeks..months to beat that one song. If you finally see that you can't progress anymore then try to perfect what you are already comfortable with. Maybe a certain rhythm game isn't good for you? You may not be great at one but you may be amazing at another. Don't stress it and enjoy yourself :)

I need to buy a vita...again, lol. Rhythm games are my weakness. Would love to play this.

This is probably a good time to remind everyone we are in the middle of a score challenge. I haven't gotten a whole lot of entries yet, and the ones I have gotten are very, very close. Has Mikudayo scared everyone off? D:

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I just bought this for vita and it should be here today. Excited! Been playing the demo of the first one all night.

Do we know how many songs will be included in the song club? From the price and the 25% savings I'm guessing 14-15? How many are released right now? I stopped paying attention after I was finished with the original songs because I was feeling burnt out, but I'm thinking of jumping back in and a new song every week or so sounds pretty cool. Are people who bought the song club happy with it so far?

Do we know how many songs will be included in the song club? From the price and the 25% savings I'm guessing 14-15? How many are released right now? I stopped paying attention after I was finished with the original songs because I was feeling burnt out, but I'm thinking of jumping back in and a new song every week or so sounds pretty cool. Are people who bought the song club happy with it so far?

Any speculation at this point is based off the same calculations you've done, I think. My understanding is that US is following the same order as Japan in releasing songs and right now we're at #4 and Japan is somewhere around #10. Not sure we'll know for sure until they stop releasing songs in Japan.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Playing vita version. Any tips/tricks/etc for me as a new miku player?

Playing vita version. Any tips/tricks/etc for me as a new miku player?

Start on Easy. If you have trouble activating star notes (e.g. fingers not sliding smoothly) you can change the options to use the thumbsticks. Keep at it, because Hard is where it really starts getting fun. Learn to use your left hand to activate notes (up=triangle, right=o, etc.) early because it can be a pain trying to teach yourself that later on when you're stuck on Extreme songs. Most of all, have fun, it's a great game!

Kikirin

This is probably a good time to remind everyone we are in the middle of a score challenge. I haven't gotten a whole lot of entries yet, and the ones I have gotten are very, very close. Has Mikudayo scared everyone off? D:

Mikudayo is great. =D

The deadline is next Monday, so I imagine a lot of people are still trying to squeeze out the best scores they can, particularly when there is a whole weekend coming up. At least that is the case for me. Unfortunately, my sense of time and rhythm seems to warp in a bad way the more I play the song.

macklelol

I hit a wall while trying to improve my score for the score challenge... it's so bad that I literally got my best score 3 times on separate attempts, each with different ratios of Cools and Goods. It's pretty damn frustrating.

Top Bottom