• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd |OT| I'll Miku-Miku GAF (For Reals)

Kikirin

MACKLE, YOU GLORIOUS BASTARD. You really did get the SDG!

Pretty surprised and happy to get 2nd, particularly since I recall being pretty far from the top placers in the Cat Food challenge (by ~4k points)!

My typical runs had 30-45 Goods, and I only hit the 20s thrice out of about 40 attempts. The submitted score was The Run for me, since it was the first time I nailed the Link Notes. Unfortunately I didn't finish as strong as usual for the Chance Time (~2-3 Goods more than usual).

Think my calibration was at -13 on PS3 for this, but I also have the unfortunate tendency to drift 1-5 BPM too fast/slow when keeping tempo.

Thanks again for holding the contest, Star.

antibolo

Banned
So you high level folks adjust the timing, even on Vita? That thought has never occurred to me. Isn't the timing already pretty much perfect on Vita?

I don't even adjust timing on PS3, I always thought it was not needed because my TV has about 2-3 frames of lag and my HDMI-connected sound amp always felt pretty much lagless.

So you high level folks adjust the timing, even on Vita? That thought has never occurred to me. Isn't the timing already pretty much perfect on Vita?

I don't even adjust timing on PS3, I always thought it was not needed because my TV has about 2-3 frames of lag and my sound amp always felt pretty much lagless.

I don't adjust timing on either. When I start playing after a longer break the notes often feel a bit off to me, but I don't find it hard to adjust my timing after a while.
I always felt that it was slightly off on the Vita, in both f and F2nd. It was just... a bit late or something.
Yeah that's exactly what I mean.

macklelol

I don't even adjust timing on PS3, I always thought it was not needed because my TV has about 2-3 frames of lag and my HDMI-connected sound amp always felt pretty much lagless.

I always felt that it was slightly off on the Vita, in both f and F2nd. It was just... a bit late or something.

ChrisD

I only have them on Vita. Too little self-confidence (wrong word, probably) to get the PS3 versions. Can't make myself do it since I'd have to explain it to my parents -- especially my Dad. He's cool with me and my gaming habits, but I think if he saw my Vita library he'd feel like they had done something wrong haha... Hah...

Brother -- third son in the family right after me, the second -- was an OBSESSIVE brony for two years. That kind of bothered our Dad, so I try to be as "normal" as possible

yyr

Wow, macklelol. You really outdid yourself this time. I really didn't think we'd be able to hit single digits, but you did it! Congrats, and to everyone else who did their best, great job, and I hope you had fun =)

Thanks again, StarCreator, for doing this. It's always a good time. I would love to do it more often if possible. I don't really care if there's a prize involved, I just enjoy the competition...

Am I the only one using calibration 0? In the first (non-adjustable) DIVA f I always had to press way late, but got used to it...f 2nd still feels like I have to press late, but much, much less so than in f, so I just said "okay" and went with it, especially since Cross-Save moves my calibration setting between platforms and the transition was kind of odd. Does moving between platforms bother anyone else or do you guys just play on one platform?

Also, I discovered today that there were 15 or so Quiz Show item events and that's kind of irritating, ha ha.

ChrisD

While I've only played three songs on it (three weeks ago), Arcade Future Tone seems to have the exact same timing as the Vita versions. So I'm under the impression that those settings are what the developers intended.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I use 0. I don't like messing with settings. Of course the PS3 version could probably do with an adjustment. My plasma TV has fairly high input lag.

SimonM7

I had to experiment some with different audio cables for my setup to get what I felt was natural input timing on the PS3 version.

It's very, very subtle, but on Negaposi Continues in the first Diva F it's especially noticeable for me, since it's a single hand button mash fest, and I felt like I had oven mitts on before I plugged the PS3 directly into my receiver.

I have an old timey receiver without HDMI on it, but I plugged in the composite cable and run sound from that to the receiver.

Curiously all this unearthed the fact that sound through my Panasonic plasma telly is actually pretty slow. Picture is fine.

muteki

I very rarely play my PS3 copies of Project diva games because I can't seem to get them to feel right on my TV. Part of it too is I'm just so used to the PSP/Vita in my hands and not a dual shock, but eliminating audio or video lag on my setup is such a pain.

Marche90

Did you hit all bonus points on the doubles? That score sounds like what I had before I started making the effort to tap all doubles with both hands. It's especially critical during the Chance Time since they're worth 1200 points.

I did. The cause of my low score was because I got tons of fines at the end. Accuracy is what normally kills me in these games, since it's easy to hit all the notes, but not so much to only get cools

I very rarely play my PS3 copies of Project diva games because I can't seem to get them to feel right on my TV. Part of it too is I'm just so used to the PSP/Vita in my hands and not a dual shock, but eliminating audio or video lag on my setup is such a pain.

I feel the exact same. I like the clickiness of the Vita buttons and the dualshocks' feel too soft and I always feel like I can't keep up. I've tried playing the PS3 a lot lately but just can't get through songs like I can on the Vita. I become way too frustrated with the PS3.

emiliano

I was nowhere near.

Congrats to the winners!
I've played this song like 65 times and I'm not even been able to do a score like this.
Anyway I've steadily improved with good/cool rates tries after tries, so I can consider myself happy for my level.
Afjm7aW.png

I think that the best scores of the challenge are incredible, you guys are too good!

Assuming I can arrange delivery of JP PSN funds in time (buying JP DLC is horrendously expensive) I plan to stream tomorrow night, featuring new DLC as usual. So far my streams have been just the screen capture; are people interested in seeing what my hands are doing? I'm not 100% sure I can set it up in time but I can give it a shot if it's something people want to see.

Am I the only one using calibration 0? In the first (non-adjustable) DIVA f I always had to press way late, but got used to it...f 2nd still feels like I have to press late, but much, much less so than in f, so I just said "okay" and went with it, especially since Cross-Save moves my calibration setting between platforms and the transition was kind of odd. Does moving between platforms bother anyone else or do you guys just play on one platform?

I've mentioned the theory before, but Project DIVA seems to have an intentional late bias to its timing windows, which doesn't jive well with the early bias in Bemani games. Adjusting the timing the way macklelol did seems to be a means to compensate for this. The timing adjustment is seemingly something that exists in F 2nd for the purpose of playing on a Vita TV/PlayStation TV, but I suppose using it to intentionally shift the timing window is fair game; modern IIDX allows the player the same capability, after all.

Yuuichi

I've mentioned the theory before, but Project DIVA seems to have an intentional late bias to its timing windows, which doesn't jive well with the early bias in Bemani games. Adjusting the timing the way macklelol did seems to be a means to compensate for this. The timing adjustment is seemingly something that exists in F 2nd for the purpose of playing on a Vita TV/PlayStation TV, but I suppose using it to intentionally shift the timing window is fair game; modern IIDX allows the player the same capability, after all.

Maybe I've just always been game by game or maybe my timing's just shit (I rarely get above A in any beatmani game that isn't SDVX) but I had no problem with it leaving the timing as is. I play on a computer monitor so latency is a non issue, but I normally wouldn't tamper unless your setup needs it.

ChrisD

Do we have a DLC schedule, or is it, "Probably a song or two a month."?

Wintry Winds last Technical Zone is so fun. The first times through it is ridiculous, but then you hear what you're supposed to be doing and it clicks. Love it.

Thanks for the preview StarCreator. Unfortunately both songs aren't really doing it for me (well I guess Kaito's is alright).

Do we have a DLC schedule, or is it, "Probably a song or two a month."?

We will be getting Yellow and Change Me next week. Beyond that nothing is known.

SHarris78

Well I seem to have found my limit for passing the majority of songs in this game - 4 star songs on normal! (I can even get better than a normal on Sakura Rain on normal!!)

My brain just can't keep up with all the symbols flying all over the place beyond that level. I know I need to start using combinations of Dpad and buttons together but my brain isn't having it! I've been really enjoying this and the first one for the past few months, but I think that enjoyment is coming to an end. Also, the 'joined-star' patters have no set speed within a song so they become trial and error, and even when the ARE simple, the timimg seems off (late) compared to regular notes.

The only way for me to improve, even slightly, would be to concentrate on one song and play it repeatedly, but that'll lead to getting sick of the songs - something I don't want to happen as the majority of them are really good.

I'll struggle on and see what happens.

SimonM7

My brain just can't keep up with all the symbols flying all over the place beyond that level.

I don't think it's a very good idea to start with Project Diva F 2nd for this very reason.

In F, they eased you into that stuff, and 2nd in many ways seems to assume that you played F.

In fact, 2nd seems to go out of its way to make the lower difficulty settings mix up the symbols a lot more - perhaps in order to pose a challenge to the initiated player that didn't necessarily advance to hard and extreme before. Even the beat maps/timing on lower difficulty settings seems obtuse on purpose in some songs, whereas on hard and extreme they pan out because there's only so many notes you can leave out to create "superficial" difficulty at that point.

bobawesome

While I wouldn't say I'm great at rhythm games, I managed to clear all songs on Hard on the original Project Diva f with little to no issues, as well as a handful of songs on Expert. This game, though... I find myself struggling to even pass 2D Dream Fever on Normal.

Time to get serious and start doing thumb push-ups.

Nyoro SF

While I wouldn't say I'm great at rhythm games, I managed to clear all songs on Hard on the original Project Diva f with little to no issues, as well as a handful of songs on Expert. This game, though... I find myself struggling to even pass 2D Dream Fever on Normal.

Time to get serious and start doing thumb push-ups.

I highly recommend learning to use both the dpad and the buttons for notes as quickly as possible, saves a lot of pain and annoyance for button sequences.

bobawesome

I highly recommend learning to use both the dpad and the buttons for notes as quickly as possible, saves a lot of pain and annoyance for button sequences.

I got decent at it in Project Diva f as it was the only way I was able to pass NegaPosi Continues and Sadistic Music Factory on hard. I was really hoping I was still a ways away from relearning it.

I stumbled upon this dual wield tutorial video and thought it might be useful for some of the intermediate players here:

Dual wield tutorial

It is a nice visualization of some of the techniques useful for Extreme. There's just one thing I'd like to add: Towards the end of the video there are strings where the symbol changes on the offbeat, i.e.

Code:
OOOXXXX

With normal dual wielding this would force you to switch to the new symbol with your left hand, which might be difficult if you are used to do it with your right hand. In the video the author thus recommends to play it like

Code:
OOOXXXX
RLLRLRL

Personally I feel it is more beneficial to play it as usual and train your left hand to do the switch. In the long this should make you a more versatile player.

antibolo

Banned
NEVERMIND
LIVE AREA CAN NEVER UPDATE AGAIN
KEEP IT AWAY

Ten tries! I know that the button patterns are all simple, but I'm still shocked that it "only" took me ten to get it. Goes to show how much knowing a song like the back of your hand helps. Probably the only Vocaloid track I listen to outside of the games. :pmes. :p

I know I already complained about this, but seriously, what the fuck man. I just tried it, and after ten attempts I can still barely get a Standard, and I can't even pass the Chance Time, my hands get numb by the time I reach it. In what FUCKING universe is this "simple". I feel like I could practice this song for the rest of my life and still never get a Perfect.

SHarris78

I know I already complained about this, but seriously, what the fuck man. I just tried it, and after ten attempts I can still barely get a Standard, and I can't even pass the Chance Time, my hands get numb by the time I reach it. In what FUCKING universe is this "simple". I feel like I could practice this song for the rest of my life and still never get a Perfect.

I'm in the same boat. I've gone back to playing the first game as its 'easier' and had a go at some songs on expert. I've passed or got the odd great on around ten songs so far, the only one I failed at is Secret Police, which can get Fk'ed. The chances of me perfecting any song on expert is zero, I don't get how people can do it. I watched the training vid a few posts up, and whereas it is useful, if you can't process the notes quick enough or keep a perfect rythym at insane speeds its pretty useless.

antibolo

Banned
I stumbled upon this dual wield tutorial video and thought it might be useful for some of the intermediate players here:

Dual wield tutorial

I tried that video, but since I am left handed it feels less intuitive for me to start a string with the right hand, so it just isn't working for me (and mentally reversing the Ls and Rs is just too much extra mental work to do while following the chart).

Also I feel like this video is a bad idea anyway, just following along to a video does not tell you if you're doing OK, you could be completely off-beat and not know about it.

yyr

The chances of me perfecting any song on expert is zero, I don't get how people can do it.

Some of us have been playing this sort of music game for 5, 10 or more years. It's a skill that requires dedication and practice to improve, and some people take to it more easily than others. Don't be hard on yourself, just play the game in a way that you feel is enjoyable. And yes, the first game is much easier; if you're having trouble, definitely spend more time with it.

ZeroAKA

I probably should have invested time into the Diva Room sooner. I didn't expect this many trophy-related items being tied to it.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
It's no fun at all, but grinding for the last trophies has actually made me better at the game.

As I said a few posts up, I don't go two handed on inputs (left handed like antibolo, which I think might have something to do with why I have such a hard time picking it up), but I've managed to perfect 2D Dream Fever and Envy Cat Walk on hard, just because I've sat and thought 'it's 20 minutes until next present time, lets focus on one song' enough times.

antibolo

Banned
It's no fun at all, but grinding for the last trophies has actually made me better at the game.

As I said a few posts up, I don't go two handed on inputs (left handed like antibolo, which I think might have something to do with why I have such a hard time picking it up), but I've managed to perfect 2D Dream Fever and Envy Cat Walk on hard, just because I've sat and thought 'it's 20 minutes until next present time, lets focus on one song' enough times.

Being left-handed shouldn't make a difference, I was merely talking about that tutorial video which is intentionally biased towards starting chains with the right hand.

If anything, being left handed should be an advantage because it means having a pre-existing dexterity at using the left hand. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself...

Novocaine

I probably should have invested time into the Diva Room sooner. I didn't expect this many trophy-related items being tied to it.

Is there more stuff that you need to do in the Diva Room than the first game for the platinum? I've kind of avoided it so far, figured I'd do it all in one big go once I've gotten all of the trophies from playing songs.

I'm interested in the series. Which version should I get? Vita or PS3?

I like Vita version because you will never have to worry about sync issues between the game and the screen. There is a demo for the first game on both PS3 and Vita so maybe give them both a try and see what you like the most.

macklelol

Is there more stuff that you need to do in the Diva Room than the first game for the platinum? I've kind of avoided it so far, figured I'd do it all in one big go once I've gotten all of the trophies from playing songs.

There's more stuff and you can't just go do it all at once. There's gonna be a lot of waiting around if you haven't started on those trophies.

Yuuichi

If anything, being left handed should be an advantage because it means having a pre-existing dexterity at using the left hand. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself...

that doesn't really help, as you need to be able to accurately use both hands, regardless of which one is your main hand

antibolo

Banned
that doesn't really help, as you need to be able to accurately use both hands, regardless of which one is your main hand

What I meant is that we all start playing the game with the right hand regardless of handedness so getting used to the left hand afterwards should be easier for a left handed player. Anyway, this probably makes very little difference, I was just pointing out that being left handed should not be a disadvantage.

SimonM7

Alternating or "dual wielding" is by far the trickiest basic skill to learn for me, too.

I think most of the game is a matter of putting in time. Trying to grasp things earlier than your muscle memory has picked them up is just frustrating, and one should simply play and enjoy the game at a leisurely level, and before you know it you're beating things you couldn't before. No need to leap prematurely at the insane songs and bang your head against a wall repeatedly.

With alternating hands, I sometimes feel like I can do it consistently, and then I stop being able to do it. Tilting/gripping the controller just right makes a huge difference, but I have a hard time finding a way that works all the time. Prolly doesn't help that I keep hopping between Vita and PS3 versions. You gotta hit the loo sometime, though, you know?

Anyhoo. For pretty dependable later-game dual wield practice, my go-to is Ashes to Ashes from Diva F on Extreme. It has a lot of sections already early on in the song that give your alternation skills a workout. It's not crazy fast, either, so it's a good place to start.

Top Bottom