• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd |OT| I'll Miku-Miku GAF (For Reals)

2D Dream Fever was agonising, yeah. It's like a Sadistic Music Factory but it feels like it goes on for longer.

I personally feel like 2D Dream Fever is closer to NegaPosi, in terms of being fun to play once you get the hang of it. Intense Voice is the Sadistic Music Factory for me...

SimonM7

I personally feel like 2D Dream Fever is closer to NegaPosi, in terms of being fun to play once you get the hang of it. Intense Voice is the Sadistic Music Factory for me...

That's absolutely true. Although I think Intense Voice is comparatively fun, too. Rin-Chan Now and Sadistic Music Factory are in a category of their own of songs that just hate you.

ChrisD

Because I feel this REALLY needs to be said, please don't put much (read: any) thought into the drive-by posts you are receiving. Some people don't understand how much time and effort you've been putting in to these goals.

And I'm also going to say along with numerous others that you need to speak to someone. You want to know who helped me when I was obsessing over a game (Awesomenauts, to be more specific; I wanted to be part of League 1)? I'll tell you who: my Mother. She doesn't friggin' CARE about games, but I said something about how much pressure I was feeling during my matches, and it ended up being something like two hours of talking. Not even all about the game, but my behavior and quirks in general. It doesn't have to be a professional, just someone who knows you.

So please, speak to someone. You shouldn't be anxious in your day-to-day life.

antibolo

Banned
Because I feel this REALLY needs to be said, please don't put much (read: any) thought into the drive-by posts you are receiving. Some people don't understand how much time and effort you've been putting in to these goals.

That post about the sausage gave me a chuckle :)

The best thing to do with trolls is to laugh with them.

SimonM7

Well, I broke down again.

To avoid cluttering this thread with my shit yet another time, I made a thread about it.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=157069996

I'm really, really sorry to hear that you're going through that. I'll chime in and say that you should talk to somebody, and also agree with ChrisD above - that it should be anyone that will listen in a way that is helpful to you.

It sounds like it's a more general problem than a problem with this game, specifically, but it also sounds like all the numbers, and measuring of your success that a game like this does, is detrimental to your enjoyment.

You mention that you used to play it casually, and the truth is that you were practicing without even noticing back then. When you get too conscious of your progress and performance you start thinking too much about what you can't do to enjoy what you can do. I go through bouts of that, creatively, from time to time, and I need to take a breath and remind myself why I'm in love with doing those things in the first place.

Learning this game is much more about just getting comfortable with the mechanics overall than grinding a specific song and trying, rigidly, to emulate being familiar with those mechanics. The game allows you to jump around willy nilly, but there is an invisible difficuly curve there. Just by playing the game for fun - just by playing the songs to listen to them and to have them engage with you - it'll organically open up to you. Getting better at stuff like this is never about gritting teeth and desperately trying to get better. It just happens. At its own pace.

And if you're not enjoying playing the songs any more, the fundamental proposition of the game collapses. There is no real reward - no point, even - but that enjoyment.

I need you not to burn out on Miku, man! I need people to talk to about this stuff!

Zambayoshi

Does anyone ever go back to the game after a while and wonder how on earth you managed to get certain scores/grades? For example, I was playing Romeo & Cinderella on Extreme and got a decent excellent, which I was very happy with, but I then realised that my best grade on the song was a perfect. At my current skill level I'd need to be pretty lucky to get a perfect like that again.

Strangely, it also seems to work the other way around. I've gone back after a few months and got extreme perfects first go on some songs like Two Breaths Walking, that I previously had not been close to perfecting.

antibolo

Banned
Now that I've cooled down a bit, I realize that I was only lying to myself when I said that the game had been "nothing but an unpleasant chore". Looking back, I did also have plenty of fun over the past three months, despite the overblown frustration.

Maybe I just need to stop focusing on the negative and start thinking more about the positive.

antibolo

Banned
Against my better judgment I decided to play a bit tonight, HOWEVER I established some ground rules:
1) No more than one hour per day
2) Only random and spotlight songs
3) Following StarCreator's advice, never retry a song more than 3 times, no matter how badly I feel like going over

I... think it works? If I keep up these rules I believe I should be ok from now on.

Oh and I ended my session with this totally irrelevant result. Seriously why am I even posting it here, it has certainly nothing to do with anything that happened recently.
G6t0aVI.jpg

Wonko_C

Don't know if my advice helps but I don't even touch Extreme. I know my skill ceiling is up to Hard and I'm satisfied with that. I to try to earn perfects up to that point, and from there it's just playing the songs on Hard for enjoyment, without worrying about the results. (And grinding DP)

Glad you figured out some rules!

I'm currently stuck yet again at the point where I'm getting one safe across a bunch of different songs. My rule is to firmly resist the temptation to immediately repeat, and come back later.

A lot of the time it just happens to work out the very next time I come back.

emiliano

Against my better judgment I decided to play a bit tonight, HOWEVER I established some ground rules:
1) No more than one hour per day
2) Only random and spotlight songs
3) Following StarCreator's advice, never retry a song more than 3 times, no matter how badly I feel like going over

I... think it works? If I keep up these rules I believe I should be ok from now on.

Oh and I ended my session with this totally irrelevant result. Seriously why am I even posting it here, it has certainly nothing to do with anything that happened recently.
I think you will get the best of the game if you manage to follow these rules. Congratulations on your achievement! I'm not near your level (I still cant complete 9+ star songs), but know all my extreme standard records are proudly screenshotted and archived.

antibolo

Banned
It appears that spending too much time in Two-Sided Lovers has completely warped my dual wielding. I can't even do the Akatsuki Arrival Chance Time anymore, which I had pretty much almost mastered (my current record on the song is 12 failed notes)... It seems like I lost my proper timing, and that I'll have to work on getting it back... Hopefully it'll stay for good...

Don't know if my advice helps but I don't even touch Extreme. I know my skill ceiling is up to Hard and I'm satisfied with that. I to try to earn perfects up to that point, and from there it's just playing the songs on Hard for enjoyment, without worrying about the results. (And grinding DP)

Yeah, that's also how I was playing up until this January. Barely touched Extreme and didn't care, that's all I needed to have fun.

But now that I've fallen into the rabbit hole, there's no going back.

ChrisD

Grats on the Two-Sided Lovers clear! :D I've got multiple DropxOut pictures, as wellas my first clear. I love looking at the pictures progress over the span of months.

If you get caught up again, a break really does do wonders. I wasn't able to play pretty much anything last week since it was a busy week at my first job. So not only do I have the all around hectic schedule, but I'm also trying to learn the ropes and didnt think much on games. Well, this week I'm off until the weekend (Theme Park, only open weekends now), and I got a chance to play. I could feel myself playing better, and the results were showing it. Now that I've played for four hours or so over three days... Not so much. Back to normal haha.

Though it didn't help me with Just Be Friends. One Safe. Always. One. Safe. Aaarrrggh.

And finally, completely unrelated to anything else, but I've apparently played Rolling Girl 60 times. :>

antibolo

Banned
I'm going to take a break from GAF, I think I need to distance myself from any game discussion for a bit (not just this thread). Probably will return in a month or so. Take care y'all and keep on miku-mikuing.

meijiko

My husband and I play this game together as a sort of competition.

I imported PD2nd a long time ago, and I remembered playing it long enough to get decent at Cantarella on Extreme, then put it down for years. Then I imported f when we got our Vita, but really hated the touch screen star scratches. It wasn't until F came out in the states that I really started to get into PD games.

I got really familiar with the first game, learning all the songs and such, and then my husband decided he wanted to pick it up. We've both played it fairly consistently (I played a bit more with the import of F 2nd than him, since I was better at reading the titles and menus) so it's been interesting to see this sort of natural progression between our skill levels. We both ended up hitting a wall after being able to complete all the Hard songs and the easier Extreme ones.

I got my first Extreme perfect a few weeks ago (Ai Kotoba lol), and not two weeks after he gets his (Kokoro). We're not really the type to play the same song over and over and try for perfects, so it was really about familiarity with the songs, accuracy, and being able to not freak out as we get to the end and realize we haven't missed a note.

I've always been just a little bit ahead of him on the skill level, and I guess now that's still true. He has more trouble with the star flicks than I do. I just recently got over my wall with dual-handing overlapping notes, though I'm not good at them yet. I just don't automatically freak out and flail when I see them, and can get easier triplets and isolated longer strings without too much trouble. Still working on passing Rolling Girl, and I can get really close. I hope to be good enough to try for a tournament at PAX prime later this year, but who knows if I'll have the confidence, haha.

Idk why I posted this lol. I feel like I've been lurking in the thread too much without posting. Really looking forward to Rosary Pale when I get back from Sakura-con. That chart looks fun as hell.

Speaking of DLC, it's also a JP DLC release day (yes, they're releasing something on a Tuesday). I'll probably be streaming it tonight, with a possible surprise preceding it. Stream will be at http://www.hitbox.tv/starcreator in probably an hour or so from now.

EDIT: Now streaming... something.

EDIT2: Still no DLC, but I've switched to Dreamy Theater 2nd in the meantime!

It's funny to think that Japan PSN updates so predictably, considering what we get here.

FWIW, I don't have any video flickering issues on Firefox.

Zambayoshi

My husband and I play this game together as a sort of competition.

I imported PD2nd a long time ago, and I remembered playing it long enough to get decent at Cantarella on Extreme, then put it down for years. Then I imported f when we got our Vita, but really hated the touch screen star scratches. It wasn't until F came out in the states that I really started to get into PD games.

I got really familiar with the first game, learning all the songs and such, and then my husband decided he wanted to pick it up. We've both played it fairly consistently (I played a bit more with the import of F 2nd than him, since I was better at reading the titles and menus) so it's been interesting to see this sort of natural progression between our skill levels. We both ended up hitting a wall after being able to complete all the Hard songs and the easier Extreme ones.

I got my first Extreme perfect a few weeks ago (Ai Kotoba lol), and not two weeks after he gets his (Kokoro). We're not really the type to play the same song over and over and try for perfects, so it was really about familiarity with the songs, accuracy, and being able to not freak out as we get to the end and realize we haven't missed a note.

I've always been just a little bit ahead of him on the skill level, and I guess now that's still true. He has more trouble with the star flicks than I do. I just recently got over my wall with dual-handing overlapping notes, though I'm not good at them yet. I just don't automatically freak out and flail when I see them, and can get easier triplets and isolated longer strings without too much trouble. Still working on passing Rolling Girl, and I can get really close. I hope to be good enough to try for a tournament at PAX prime later this year, but who knows if I'll have the confidence, haha.

Idk why I posted this lol. I feel like I've been lurking in the thread too much without posting. Really looking forward to Rosary Pale when I get back from Sakura-con. That chart looks fun as hell.

That's cool! I remember struggling with dual wielding for a while, especially when dealing with odd numbers of notes (meaning that the starting hand switched between sets of notes) but after a while it became second nature.

I think it's awesome that you can play with your husband. I recently introduced a mate to PDF on PS3 and it was interesting sitting and watching him get better at it in a matter of an hour or two (or three!)

Seems like SEGA EU screwed up yet again and this time didn't even manage to get the DLC up on the store at all. Apparently it is scheduled for next week...

The delay is confirmed via the Sega forum:

Julian said:
Just received this today from our SEGA of Europe office, sorry for the short notice:

“Due to unforeseen circumstances there will be a slight delay on the release of the Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd DLC Batch 9 in the EU. We apologise for the delay, this content will release on 8th April, 2015.”

Zambayoshi

It seems that there is someone completely incompetent at the offices of SEGA EU. The number of problems with getting content onto the store is mind-boggling and cannot be put down to a one-off error. Hopefully SEGA EU lights a fire under the person responsible and this kind of buffoonery is avoided in future.

It seems that there is someone completely incompetent at the offices of SEGA EU. The number of problems with getting content onto the store is mind-boggling and cannot be put down to a one-off error. Hopefully SEGA EU lights a fire under the person responsible and this kind of buffoonery is avoided in future.

Since there are issues with content on EU PSN practically every week, I think it's more likely that SCEE is incompetent. Probably a bit of both.

As a customer I frankly don't care who is responsible for this. Whichever party isn't at fault should tell the other one to get their stuff sorted out.

On a whim I entered the tournament at Anime Boston. Ended up wiping before the final four - had to go against the second seed, lost her pick badly (Hello Worker), and she barely got me on my pick (Uraomote Lovers). I should spend more time with the base songlist instead of playing DLC all the time.

Andrefpvs

On a whim I entered the tournament at Anime Boston. Ended up wiping before the final four - had to go against the second seed, lost her pick badly (Hello Worker), and she barely got me on my pick (Uraomote Lovers). I should spend more time with the base songlist instead of playing DLC all the time.

I've never seen a tournament for this game. It sounds fun!

By the way, can anyone connect to the game's Network mode? It keeps saying it can't connect over here...

Andrefpvs

Rosary Pale and Promise are up for us lowly Europeans!

Woop dee doo

Thanks for the heads up!

By the way, I still can't connect to Network mode. The hell?

Edit: If possible, can anyone post links to the EU DLC? It's always such a pain to find.

Top Bottom