• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO's Veep - Season 3 - Running for president and busting her lady balls - Daniwah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clevinger

That was excellent

I anticipate with dread what an even sadder husk of a person Jonah will become

or maybe, somehow, he'll emerge from all this triumphant, which would be amazing

Jonah lost the battle but he ain't cattle. 2026 bitches!

"That's a midterm year."

"THEN I'LL FUCKING CHANGE IT!"

so many great little details in the dialogue

Mr. F

Banned
"...They're all at Mike's wedding. I kind of miss them."

*phone rings*

"Oh that's Gary, hit ignore."

Great episode.

Jb

That was fucking great. Wonder if Jonah''ll end up on Selina's staff or with the ex-defense secretary guy.

Dany

Banned
One review mentioned how Veep was more emotional this season and damn...seeing everyone make fun of jonah was sad :(

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
One review mentioned how Veep was more emotional this season and damn...seeing everyone make fun of jonah was sad :(
And hilarious.

Jonah got buckets of shit dumped on him last night. Holy shit.

Jigorath

Banned
The new guy filling in for Gary was hilarious. Hope he sticks around. Jonah continues to be the best part of the show.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Best part was the dude walking in front of him when he was talking shit to the iPad.
As sympathetic as the Jonah character can be it tickles me to see him get shat on like he does and to the extreme measures that he did last night. It was brutal!

That played out like the Malcolm departure in thick of it. Except with him his threats were very tangible

With Jonah it's just easy to laugh at him since you know this dude ain't amounting to shit. Wonder if it's the last we'll see of him though

Dany

Banned
Veep Ratings sucked balls

Speaking of Veep, the scathing look at fictional Vice President Selina Meyer was back last night for a third season with 955,000 viewers. Now at 10:30 PM, that’s down 20% from the 1.2 million who tuned in to the show’s Season 2 debut on April 14 last year. Last night’s Veep dipped 3% from the 985,000 viewers who tuned in for the series’ Season 2 finale on June 23. Over two more replays, Veep had gross audience of 1.5 million

wtf :(

Chris R

It needs to be on before Silicon Valley. Also, the episode last night was ok at best (compared to other Veep episodes)

TTG

Jonah's fireball of an evacuation was right on time. He peaked last season, I bet Veep's writers could see the audience sitting with scorecards like refs at a dunk contest every time he walked into the room, waiting for the inevitable one liners. It's better this way, plus he went out swinging, it was good.

Also, it was so like Selina at the end with the call to the wedding party. The perfect mix of totally self absorbed bitterness about her staff not witnessing her funeral triumph and that vapid speech she reconfigures on the fly. You get a glimmer of earnest pride from her as she delivers it too, so good.

Mr. F

Banned
Jonah's fireball of an evacuation was right on time. He peaked last season, I bet Veep's writers could see the audience sitting with scorecards like refs at a dunk contest every time he walked into the room, waiting for the inevitable one liners. It's better this way, plus he went out swinging, it was good.

Also, it was so like Selina at the end with the call to the wedding party. The perfect mix of totally self absorbed bitterness about her staff not witnessing her funeral triumph and that vapid speech she reconfigures on the fly. You get a glimmer of earnest pride from her as she delivers it too, so good.

I think your point about Jonah is valid for anyone on the show, Veep is pretty much a game of who has the best one-liner each week. Which is fantastic, but I do worry about how the novelty of that may wear off.

I think it's smart that the writers are going into more emotional depth this season, the fact everyone kind of has their own flavour of neuroticism played well for the first couple seasons but I'm hoping they'll explore the characters in a way that helps keeping them from veering too far into the territory of one-note caricatures. Happens to a lot of sitcoms that lean way into their characters' quirks.

TTG

Selina is a well developed character. Like I said in the previous post, there's her personality shining through in the season premier at the end. There's also her daughter and getting perpetually shit on by POTUS and ex husband, or "another man" as she put it last season.

Her staff on the other hand is two dimensional, so I agree with you there. The thing about Jonah is he's more pigeonholed than the others, his repertoire is limited to like 3 scenarios and that would have worn out its welcome. The send off(if it's really final) was great though, it was like a best of Jonah and then boom, he storms out. I'm not sure how much "exploring" they need to do with the main cast. Maybe those characters will start to ring hollow at some point, I'm loving it so far. I mean, I really enjoy those little side stories like Mike's boat and Dana.

Peru

Jonah's obviously not gone from the show and having him as the universally hated shat upon dick will never get old.

Mr. F

Banned
Selina is a well developed character. Like I said in the previous post, there's her personality shining through in the season premier at the end. There's also her daughter and getting perpetually shit on by POTUS and ex husband, or "another man" as she put it last season.

Her staff on the other hand is two dimensional, so I agree with you there. The thing about Jonah is he's more pigeonholed than the others, his repertoire is limited to like 3 scenarios and that would have worn out its welcome. The send off(if it's really final) was great though, it was like a best of Jonah and then boom, he storms out. I'm not sure how much "exploring" they need to do with the main cast. Maybe those characters will start to ring hollow at some point, I'm loving it so far. I mean, I really enjoy those little side stories like Mike's boat and Dana.

I go back and forth on Selina, I think she falls into the same trap as some of the other characters sometimes. But your right, she does have more moments that round her out as something other than completely egomaniacal. Also agreed on the others, they do get some good side stories. I liked the stuff last season with romantic interests for the staff in particular, like Sue working on European time from her bed next to her boyfriend or the tension between Gary's girlfriend and Selina. Maybe it's just when they're all in the workplace at their extremes that it feels like it could get a bit flat after a while.

I should say; this isn't meant to knock the show at all. I love the characters and how they've been written so far, just wondering out loud whether or not that can sustain itself past a short-run series. I only started thinking about this after the premiere when some interactions and scenes felt a bit 'off' but I'm sure they'll fall back into it in the episodes to come.

TTG

Jonah's obviously not gone from the show and having him as the universally hated shat upon dick will never get old.

Well, Selina is not going to hire him. Is he going to be senator Furlong's new punching bag?

If I enjoyed The Thick of It and In the Loop, will I enjoy this? Is it like an American spiritual successor to the British show, so with the same type of satire/humour?

royalan

Julia WERKing the cover of Rolling Stone for May

0VT8sbS.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom