• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HD-DVD comes out fighting, launch in 2005

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/07/26/hddvd/

The HD-DVD (High Definition/High Density-DVD) next-generation optical disc format got a boost Monday with the announcement by Toshiba Corp. and NEC Corp. that they plan to launch compatible products next year and with word that a major Japanese content producer is backing the format.

Toshiba and NEC announced their plans to launch HD-DVD hardware during the 2005 calendar year as a three-day event aimed at promoting the standard to Japan's entertainment industry got under way in Tokyo. Toshiba plans a home player and possibly a recorder while NEC said it plans a drive for use with computers.

At the same event Pony Canyon Inc., Japan's largest distributor of DVDs, said it plans to release content in the format and named the first eight discs it plans to produce.

pcostabel

Gold Member
Isn't Blue ray alrerady available? And who's this major Japanese content provider? Aside from Sony, are there any Japanese movie companies?

8bit

Knows the Score
Kiriku said:
What's stopping them?

Sky have said they will start HD-TV broadcasts in the UK next year, but I'm not sure if the HD-PAL specification is finalized yet.

jarrod

Banned
pcostabel said:
Isn't Blue ray alrerady available? And who's this major Japanese content provider? Aside from Sony, are there any Japanese movie companies?
Pony Canyon, Japan's largest DVD distributor (as mentioned in the article). Also, not too sure if any BRD drives are avaiable yet? I thought the format wasn't actually even finalized yet honestly?

jarrod said:
Pony Canyon, Japan's largest DVD distributor (as mentioned in the article). Also, not too sure if any BRD drives are avaiable yet? I thought the format wasn't actually even finalized yet honestly?

BRD-RW is currently available in japan for a king's ransom.

It's strictly a data/video recording format though - the BRD-ROM video playback format is still not completely laid out yet.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Looks like they're a little behind schedule. Toshiba was originally targeted this year to have AOD devices on the market. Not surprising that the HD-DVD submission process set them back a bit.

jarrod

Banned
seismologist said:
enter Playstation 3...
...in 2006. :p

Too bad Xenon's coming too soon to upgrade to HD-DVD though, that could've been interesting against a BRD equipped PS3. I expect Nintendo will probably go custom format with Matsushitsa again, though it'd be a nice surprise if they cut a deal with NEC for HD-DVD in Revolution (though that seems unlikely).

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Yeah, I'd really like to see beyond DVD storage capacities for all next-gen console optical media.

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
Yeah, I'd really like to see beyond DVD storage capacities for all next-gen console optical media.
Well only Xenon really looks locked into DVD right now. PS3 will surely be BRD (and maybe use chaper DVD for launch era stuff, like CD PS2 games) and I've no idea about Revolution (maybe a full size high capacity GOD2?).

Midas

If I remember it right, MS had a job ad up where they looked for people that could design optical-media stuff. Maybe they'll use a custom format this time?

This is where Sony benefits for having so much leverage in movie industry and home entertainment standards. Launching a next gen system with the "wrong format" disk could be disasterous.
Just ask Nintendo. They did it 2 times in a row.

Laurent

H.264 Video Codec Adopted for Next Generation DVDs

MPEG Developed Video Codec Key to Future High Definition DVDs

CUPERTINO, California—June 23, 2004—Apple® today announced that the DVD Forum has ratified the H.264 Advanced Video Codec (AVC) to be included in the next generation High Definition (HD) DVD format. The H.264/AVC codec was jointly developed by the Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) and the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) and has been ratified into the MPEG-4 specification as the next-generation video codec. H.264/AVC is based on open standards and will ship in Apple’s QuickTime® software in an upcoming release next year.

“Apple is firmly behind H.264 because it delivers superb quality digital video and is based on open standards that no single company controls,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. “QuickTime 6 has already topped 250 million downloads, making it one of the most successful media standards ever, and we will be adding support for H.264 to QuickTime next year.”

H.264/AVC is an extremely scalable video codec, delivering excellent quality across the entire bandwidth spectrum—from high definition television to video conferencing and 3G mobile multimedia. As shown in a preview at the National Association of Broadcasters convention in April, video encoded at full high definition resolution (1920x1080 24p) was played back between 6.8 and 8 Mbps on a dual-processor Power Mac® G5 delivering full HD quality at up to half the data rate of MPEG-2.

As the platform of choice for content creators worldwide, QuickTime delivers the full media experience for thousands of unique software titles, enhanced music CDs and hundreds of digital camera models. More than 250 million copies of QuickTime 6 have been downloaded in less than two years since its release. According to Frost & Sullivan’s 2004 Global Media Streaming Platform Report, between 2002 and 2003 Microsoft’s and Real Networks’ worldwide market share percentages were either stable or declining while QuickTime’s market share increased to 36.8 percent, a close second to Microsoft. Real Networks came in third place with less than 25 percent of the worldwide streaming market share. QuickTime 6.5, which also includes enhanced support for 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) and 3GPP2 mobile networks, is available as a free download for Mac® and Windows users at www.apple.com/quicktime.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/jun/23quicktime.html

jarrod

Banned
seismologist said:
This is where Sony benefits for having so much leverage in movie industry and home entertainment standards. Launching a next gen system with the "wrong format" disk could be disasterous.
Just ask Nintendo. They did it 2 times in a row.
BRD could possibly be the "wrong format" though as well. This isn't exactly PS2/DVD industry standard push part 2... and Sony's no stranger to losing/niche format standards either (Betamax, MiniDisc, ATRAC3, MemoryStick, etc).

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Midas said:
If I remember it right, MS had a job ad up where they looked for people that could design optical-media stuff. Maybe they'll use a custom format this time?
That's what I was hoping, but the "leaked" Xenon specs have only mentioned DVD so far. We'll see.

garrickk

Doesn't anyone assume that the PS3 will probably support all formats when it comes out?

Then, after about 10-12 months, your PS3 will stop reading one of the formats properly.

Laurent

garrickk said:
Doesn't anyone assume that the PS3 will probably support all formats when it comes out?

Then, after about 10-12 months, your PS3 will stop reading one of the formats properly.
Why does my preowned PS2 never had any problems reading all compatible formats?!

BeOnEdge

Banned
DVD is too mainstream now for it to become the wrong format. it took like 2 years for DVD to finally catch on and when it did it spread like wildfire. HD isnt spreading as fast yet and i doubt the casual buyers are gonna wanna upgrade the DVD players they just bought already. look at how long it took for some to give up their VCRS. BR wil be niche and HD-DVD will become just like D-VHS. DVD is the new VHS.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
BeOnEdge said:
DVD is too mainstream now for it to become the wrong format. it took like 2 years for DVD to finally catch on and when it did it spread like wildfire. HD isnt spreading as fast yet and i doubt the casual buyers are gonna wanna upgrade the DVD players they just bought already. look at how long it took for some to give up their VCRS. BR wil be niche and HD-DVD will become just like D-VHS. DVD is the new VHS.
For once, I think I agree with BoE. The tech-elite will scoop up the new formats, and maybe people looking to get the absolute most out of their fancy new TVs, but I think the majority will stick with DVD for a while...at least until the prices drop to mainstream levels (and also assuming the new players are compatible with old standard DVDs, so people don't have to give up their collections).

garrickk

Laurent said:
Why does my preowned PS2 never had any problems reading all compatible formats?!

Random. My launch PS2 still reads everything perfectly, but I do have to take it apart every 4-5 months and clean the lense directly with isopropyl alcohol and a cotton swab or it stops reading discs quickly.

However, the fact that many of them stop reading CDRoms can't be denied. I was just making a stupid joke - but I do think Sony will hedge their bets and support all popular media formats for playback (maybe software unlocked with a kit like Xbox however). The Xenon might as well. Of course, games will only be in one format.

DVD ruled this generation. It's conceivable that two formats COULD be relavant in the next generation.

DVD wasn't exactly mainstream until after the PS2 launch.

PS3 will probably launch with a HD player to help kickstart the new standard. Eventually only really old DVD players wont support HD.

retardboy

DVD was already well on its way to becomming mainstream before the PS2 launch. The birth of $100 players is when it took off.

pcostabel

Gold Member
human5892 said:
For once, I think I agree with BoE. The tech-elite will scoop up the new formats, and maybe people looking to get the absolute most out of their fancy new TVs, but I think the majority will stick with DVD for a while...at least until the prices drop to mainstream levels (and also assuming the new players are compatible with old standard DVDs, so people don't have to give up their collections).

You got it backwards. Content drives adoption. The availability of HD content, together with falling prices, will push HDTV adoption. If PS3 uses Blu Ray and BD movies are readily available, a lot of people will jump on the HD bandwagon. Games in particular will be a big incentive to upgrade your TV: HD gaming will lure many PC gamers to consoles and the kind of graphics that the new console will really show the advantages of HDTV sets,

BeOnEdge

Banned
seismologist said:
DVD wasn't exactly mainstream until after the PS2 launch.

PS3 will probably launch with a HD player to help kickstart the new standard. Eventually only really old DVD players wont support HD.

if you mean by japan, yes. here, it was cheap DVD players as well as cheap DVDs that did it. Joe blow is not gonna give up DVD nor are retailers or Rental chains. it took them long enough to finally start phasing out VHS. they arent gonna make equal room for HD DVD.

"Content drives adoption."

i dont think content had anything to do with the adoption of DVD. quality, price and space did it if you ask me. i would have NEVER owned 150+ VHS tapes. my livingroom would be a mess. DVDs are so compact and hey, you didnt have to rewind them. people like convenience. theres nothing more convenient about the new DVD formats than the current one. I'm telling you. DVD is the new VHS. all this other stuff is like the other VHS formats that only audio/videophiles want.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
BeOnEdge said:
DVD is the new VHS.
Yes, and the "old VHS" has coexisted quite profitably with the "new VHS" for years. The fact that VHS itself remained quite strong and healthy in sales for years after DVD arrived didn't prevent DVD from rocketing to mainstream appeal faster than any format before it. Your own example isn't even proof of the market being exclusionary of all but one format.

BRD and HD-DVD offer an upgrade path from DVD, the prevailing format of the moment. You don't have to by a single HD disc if you don't want to in order to get value out of the BRD/HDDVD players that will be arriving since they'll be backward compatible with CD and DVD discs. And I'd put smart money on this new generation of HD disc players offering ways to enhance existing DVDs by including the ability to uspcale from 480p to 720p or 1080i at least, which is already appearing in current DVD players. Or think about how much standard 480p content (eg. TV shows that pre-date High Def filming) you could fit on one BRD/HD-DVD disc.

There are already signs that the DVD market is losing some of its momentum. Meanwhile, HDTV sales are on the rise and by the time BRD/HD-DVD players hit mass market prices in 2005/2006, they'll be an estimated 30+ million HDTV owners in North America alone. That's not a market to sneeze at.

BeOnEdge

Banned
kaching said:
Yes, and the "old VHS" has coexisted quite profitably with the "new VHS" for years. The fact that VHS itself remained quite strong and healthy in sales for years after DVD arrived didn't prevent DVD from rocketing to mainstream appeal faster than any format before it. Your own example isn't even proof of the market being exclusionary of all but one format.

have you been to best buy within the past 2...maybe even 3 years? wheres the VHS section?

how much of a difference does this format offer over something liek say, progressive scan anyway? HDTV retailers push progressive scan as a selling point for HDTVs. the difference between VHS and Progressive scan DVD is stunning sound and picture wise. If HD DVD cant provide that same jump in quality, theres another reason why i feel it wont become main stream.

Laurent

HD-DVD players will be backward compatible with DVD. Just like DVD players are (somehow) backward compatible with CD. HD-DVD isn't a direct competitor to DVD IMHO...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Kaching said:
And I'd put smart money on this new generation of HD disc players offering ways to enhance existing DVDs by including the ability to uspcale from 480p to 720p or 1080i at least, which is already appearing in current DVD players.
Erhmmm... if the source data is 480p, then you're not enhancing anything, more likely you're making things worse by upscaling.
Of course, there are already some HD resolution movies available on regular DVDs, but I don't know if those even play in players that can't decode higher then 480p.

Although generally I agree - the key difference from older transitions here is this one being seamless thanks to backward compatibility. And with two strong competing formats, prices will probably drop much faster then they did with DVD early on (I think we're more likely to see a reprize of what happened to recordable DVD formats).

how much of a difference does this format offer over something liek say, progressive scan anyway?
Download one of the 1080P HDTV clips from Microsoft WMV demo page, and see for yourself. ;) I would say the difference is a lot more noticeable then going from 480I to 480P.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
pcostabel said:
You got it backwards. Content drives adoption. The availability of HD content, together with falling prices, will push HDTV adoption. If PS3 uses Blu Ray and BD movies are readily available, a lot of people will jump on the HD bandwagon. Games in particular will be a big incentive to upgrade your TV: HD gaming will lure many PC gamers to consoles and the kind of graphics that the new console will really show the advantages of HDTV sets,
Adoption also drives content. People who don't own an HDTV (aka -- the majority of Americans), for example, aren't going to see much reason to shell out for an HD-DVD player, because it's not going to give them much different picture quality than what they're used to. And if people aren't buying, it doesn't make sense for movie studios to use that format. Thus, adoption can drive content.

I agree that HD-DVD (or BluRay, or whatever it ends up being) will inevitably become a new standard when HDTVs are as commonplace as normal televisions are today, but I think it'll be quite some time before that happens. Even when it does, will the added picture/sound quality be that much of an incentive to pick up movies on a more expensive HD-DVD? DVDs allowed numerous advantages over VHS tapes besides improved quality, but so far, I can't say the same about HD-DVDs.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Best Buy's VCR section -> right here

My local best buy still stocks VCRs and every one I've been to does, as far as I can tell. Certainly not as many as in their heyday, but I'm sure you know you're just trying to twist the point ;)

HDTV retailers push progressive scan as a selling point for HDTVs.
And they'll move onto higher resolutions as the selling point when the time is right. A TV can be pro-scan but not necessarily High Def (EDTV).

the difference between VHS and Progressive scan DVD is stunning sound and picture wise. If HD DVD cant provide that same jump in quality, theres another reason why i feel it wont become main stream.
The jump from 480p to 1080p resolution movies should be just as noticeable if not moreso than the jump from VHS to DVD. As for sound, not likely to be as big a boost there since the biggest jump that needed to made was already done. Still there are other ways for next gen optical media to distinguish themselves. As I said, much higher capacity discs leads to the potential for LARGE single disc collections of standard definition material which plays to convenience and space concerns. BRD also builds in the ability for downloadable content to be added to a disc after it has been purchased via the owner's personal BRD player and of course is designed as a rewriteable format from the start. HD-DVD is also addressing these areas to some extent as I understand, but it's not clear how far along they are.

G4life98

I just wanna know when will I be able to get a brd drive for my pc, goddamit.

and it would seem to me that the easiest early target market for these new drives would be high-end pc users always looking for more storage...i mean you have dell on your team why not use them.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Fafalada said:
Erhmmm... if the source data is 480p, then you're not enhancing anything, more likely you're making things worse by upscaling.
Okay, okay. Perhaps I should have been clearer and said that it has the potential to enhance the experience for some people. It certainly seems to be the case for some who have already bought the existing DVD players that support such upscaling.

Another possibility is that they'll just start bundling both formats in the same package.
Sort of like they do now with widescreen vs. fullscreen.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Kiriku:

> What's stopping them?

Money. Switching to HDTV is expensive and it reduces the amount of channels on the terrestial net, meaning there is less money to be made.

8bit:

> Sky have said they will start HD-TV broadcasts in the UK next year

Keep in mind that this will require cable or satellite. There will be no terrestial HD broadcasts in Europe for a long time.

> but I'm not sure if the HD-PAL specification is finalized yet.

PAL is an analogue standard and will be replaced by DVB (which does have an HDTV specification).

Shompola:

> man yah I wish there was HDTV allready here, especially with the new consoles coming
> out soon.

There are plenty of sets capable of displaying HD resolutions available now (in Europe). Two years from now you'll be able to get a quality set for a reasonable price.

jarrod:

> Also, not too sure if any BRD drives are avaiable yet?

Sony has a consumer model out in Japan and at least one prosumer as well.

Of course, the recordable specs aren't finalized and neither is the ROM spec for that matter. At worst the Sony machines will be unusable for the finalized format.

Midas:

> Well, you found it. But it's still NICE! :p

Only if you have cable or satellite :p

Fafalada:

> if the source data is 480p, then you're not enhancing anything, more likely you're
> making things worse by upscaling.

Well, you don't really have a choice if your display is a flat panel. Then it just becomes a matter of which unit has the better scaler.

BeOnEdge

Banned
kaching said:
Best Buy's VCR section -> right here

My local best buy still stocks VCRs and every one I've been to does, as far as I can tell. Certainly not as many as in their heyday, but I'm sure you know you're just trying to twist the point ;)

meh? i said vhs as in movies. best buys vhs section has shrunken down to a single 1 sided aisle and its been that way for awhile now. i just dont see that happening to current dvd.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Same deal, BOE. And it'll happen to DVD, too. Just a matter of when. Back when DVD launched and for the first few years of its lifetime, VHS commanded plenty of space. The fact that VHS is still available today, even if in a reduced capacity, says quite a bit about what the market can support.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
It's hard to say, Ghost. With HD-DVD players just getting set to hit the market sometime in 2005, if the Xbox2 is also a 2005 release, the costs would seem prohibitive for what one would hope would be a sub $300 console.

There was an MS job posting a while back specifically looking for someone to be PM/Engineer "to manage the design and development of the Xbox Game Disc for the next generation Xbox console."

http://www.microsoft.com/careers/search/details.aspx?JobID=5a0a79bb-f7bd-4161-878f-d1d6f414ca9a

But it doesn't give many clues as to whether they're pursuing a new physical format or software format, or both.

FriScho

Finally I ordered my 21" Monitor that is capable to display all hd-tv resolution (its limit is 2048x1536 pixel). Now I pray for Xbox2, PS3 and Revolution having a vga-out connector or just an optional vga-cable. HD-TV is too expensive for me and here in Germany there are only very few (and expensive) models available.

Midas

kaching said:
It's hard to say, Ghost. With HD-DVD players just getting set to hit the market sometime in 2005, if the Xbox2 is also a 2005 release, the costs would seem prohibitive for what one would hope would be a sub $300 console.

There was an MS job posting a while back specifically looking for someone to be PM/Engineer "to manage the design and development of the Xbox Game Disc for the next generation Xbox console."

http://www.microsoft.com/careers/search/details.aspx?JobID=5a0a79bb-f7bd-4161-878f-d1d6f414ca9a

But it doesn't give many clues as to whether they're pursuing a new physical format or software format, or both.

Aah, there it is. :)

Top Bottom