• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member
Since the average for a legendary is 1/20 packs, that's not surprising.

Problem is when you read various threads (even this one), from time to time that 1:20 packs to get a legendary starts to feel more like 2:1 for everyone else and 1:100 for you. But we all get our lucky / dry streaks eventually it seems. Well almost all.

Problem is when you read various threads (even this one), from time to time that 1:20 packs to get a legendary starts to feel more like 2:1 for everyone else and 1:100 for you. But we all get our lucky / dry streaks eventually it seems. Well almost all.

Oh no doubt, which is why I decry anyone that says the "A pack is like getting 100 dust" that seems very common amongst the various hearthstone forums.

If it takes several hundreds packs to reach that 100 dust average, it's not a good means to tell people, especially new people that's what to expect from a pack.

johnsmith

remember me
2 sword of justice in arena. So good.

567.png

7-0 so far even though I haven't drawn one in a couple of games.

Just got Cairne and Ysera in a Paladin arena draft that managed to draft 2 consecrations as well. This might be my first ever double digit win.

Currently 4-1 with my 1 loss being to an arena drafted Warlock murloc deck (wtf?)

Finally caught a break with these horrible drafts it seems!

I made a Mage Deck with all spells and secrets, and a few minions (Sunwalker, Acolyte of Pain, Mana Wyrm, Mana Addict) just to grind for the daily (cast 40 spells). I beat down a Paladin who was running Sea/Molten Giants. And I out aggro'd an aggro Warrior. Fun times.

railGUN

Banned
I love playing Shaman. It seems more spontaneous and creative to me. When it dawns on you that you can hit a guy for 25, and finish him in 1 turn with like 6 mana and a seemingly innocent minion or two, fucking lol every time.

I love playing Shaman. It seems more spontaneous and creative to me. When it dawns on you that you can hit a guy for 25, and finish him in 1 turn with like 6 mana and a seemingly innocent minion or two, fucking lol every time.

Yeah I think it's my favorite class in the game. Shaman just feels so versatile and adaptive.

I still need several cards to get the deck I want going for it but so far I just love that Shaman can do well in so many situations. It also seems like a good Shaman can dictate the pace of the game against the majority of opponents.

I like Shaman a ton, because of how versatile all the spells are, how you have to manage your mana over multiple turns because of overload, how the class synergy works, and having a hard removal spell.

I had to stop playing him because of how frustrating the hunter matchup is, though. I think when the meta shifts around I'll go back to shaman, especially with how well he deals with aggro that doesn't involve unleash the hounds.

Wow, a hunter not playing minions and abusing the fuck out of misdirection because I can't play too many minions because of UTH is really strong.

Just UTH, secrets, and all charge minions plus owls

linkent

omfg.. met a super BM person..

spamming well played through the whole games..
keep waiting till the burning rope before ending turns..

since it took so long and it is casual game..
i was like fcuk it.. lets just afk and play my diablo..

guess wat.. he hit me once.. put all his minion on boards.. so our life was 30/27..
then he just spam his emote and selecting through his cards..
whenever i alt tab back to HS.. i could see his cursor hovering between his hero and cards..
he did that till my hero died from fatigue..

Volimar

omfg.. met a super BM person..

spamming well played through the whole games..
keep waiting till the burning rope before ending turns..

since it took so long and it is casual game..
i was like fcuk it.. lets just afk and play my diablo..

guess wat.. he hit me once.. put all his minion on boards.. so our life was 30/27..
then he just spam his emote and selecting through his cards..
whenever i alt tab back to HS.. i could see his cursor hovering between his hero and cards..
he did that till my hero died from fatigue..

If you right click on their portrait you can mute them.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Why are you able to hurt yourself in this game? Just hit myself with a fireball by accident on my iPad and lost a game because of it, I don't get why you're able to do that.

Q8D3vil

Why are you able to hurt yourself in this game? Just hit myself with a fireball by accident on my iPad and lost a game because of it, I don't get why you're able to do that.
Accidents happen to everyone, just don't blame it on the game design.

Copenap

Why wouldn't you be able to do that? The card text states "Deal 6 Damage".

Des0lar

will learn eventually
You have to touch your hero to use that? That would make more sense, I've never played a Priest beyond the intro stuff.

Because there is no circumstance where dealing 6 damage to yourself makes sense?

As stated above, sometimes it could. Fireball yourself to get free Molten Giants? And in the future mage might get a card that does something once you reach a certain life threshold.

Minsc

Gold Member
As stated above, sometimes it could. Fireball yourself to get free Molten Giants? And in the future mage might get a card that does something once you reach a certain life threshold.

Yup, say you're at 16, and have 2 molten giants in your hand with a Defender of Argus. It's turn 8. Each molten giant cost 6 to play currently, but if you fireball yourself, they will change to 0 to play, you can drop both, play the DoA, and have two 9/9 taunt creatures when you end your turn. We can even throw an Alexstrasza in there for fun, so on turn 9 you can heal yourself back to 15 while playing another 8/8.

On another note, I really hope they had 18 more deck slots. I really want three decks per class (a fast/charge-y one, a control one, and a fun one). They could just leave the same exact layout they have now, and add the ability to toggle between them with a right swipe (left swipe open delete window iirc) or click on a PC/Mac. Would be simple to implement without adding any clutter.

adding these 2 twilight drakes I've had sitting in my card collection into the ramp druid deck to substitute for 2 missing ancients has been pretty good. Outside of being miserable against shaman I'm never at a point with the deck where I don't have atleast 4 cards in my hand

IceMarker

Today I finally decided to dump my first 150 gold into Arena and actually won a couple of matches with a Warlock deck. Alas, I think if you're not confident to get more than 3 wins your gold is better spent on just raw packs in the store and save your 50 gold and time.

Anyone post this yet? Penny Arcade for May 5th, 2014
I need that last card.

zoukka

Y
On another note, I really hope they had 18 more deck slots. I really want three decks per class (a fast/charge-y one, a control one, and a fun one). They could just leave the same exact layout they have now, and add the ability to toggle between them with a right swipe (left swipe open delete window iirc) or click on a PC/Mac. Would be simple to implement without adding any clutter.

They will come. And we will pay for that shit.

Minsc

Gold Member
They will come. And we will pay for that shit.

They could charge an additional set of 9 deck slots for $3 / 500 gold... I'd get at least 2 packs of 9, maybe 3. And unlocking the first set of 9 should also add in a random deck select feature as well. :)

Today I finally decided to dump my first 150 gold into Arena and actually won a couple of matches with a Warlock deck. Alas, I think if you're not confident to get more than 3 wins your gold is better spent on just raw packs in the store and save your 50 gold and time.

Anyone post this yet? Penny Arcade for May 5th, 2014
I need that last card.

Hahaha that's awesome, thanks for the link. I think you probably already have that card if you play Mage in Arena.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Not much for battle stories.. but I'm facing an aggro priest with my control/secret mage..

I cspell his shadowform early so I expect aggro. I'm able to throw up ice block early and forget about it. He drops Malygos. I'm at like 25 health, no sheep, but a faceless so I say alright let's race and I faceless it. Oops. He facelesses it as well, emotes sorry, and throws 2 15 damage mind blasts at me. Ice block procs to my surprise as I forgot about it. I throw up another cspell and kill his two Malygos with my creatures and a 9 damage flamestrike. He emotes sorry and tries to mind control my Maly. Cspell procs. I emote sorry back.

I could feel the tears.. I doubt he's ever lost with a double maly double mind blast.

CoolOff

Can someone post a decklist to the Priest that everyone seems to be running at the moment? Holy Fire, Wild Pyro, Clerics etc.

Q8D3vil

Can someone post a decklist to the Priest that everyone seems to be running at the moment? Holy Fire, Wild Pyro, Clerics etc.
Everyone seems to be running different priest deck right now but there are cards that can be found in every deck like:
Cleric
Inujured
Auchenai
Cabal
Powershield
Holyfire
Wilf pyro
Both shadow words
Thoughtsteal

Just add to them your preference late game legendary and other spells like shadow madness or mind games.

Mik2121

Gotta love the matchmaking sometimes... :(
I barely started playing last week, went into ranked with my lv10 warlock and just got destroyed by another warlock bringing a bunch of legendary cards and stealth ones that give extra health and whatnot... shit was ridiculous :(

So coming from mtg, over extending your board was a bad thing to do. However, this worked partly because your opponent had a harder time dealing with threats on your board, only having instant/sorceries. In HS however I find that I have to overextend in a good board state because your opponent can use any of their creature cards to deal with threats.

I find that it's not as fun playing a zoo type deck. It's pretty much play all the stuff in your hand until they die, as opposed to analyzing the board state to figure out how many turns on the clock you can finish your opponent whilst still having enough to recover from removal. Add in the warlock's draw ability and it really makes it easy to drop your hand. Not like there aren't wraths in HS, but since removal is every creature card I feel it dumb down the play.

I'm pretty new to HS so feel free to shit in my opinion if it's wrong :p

Raxus

I'm pretty new to HS so feel free to shit in my opinion if it's wrong :p

It is a major problem wish warlocks since overextending is a moot point when your hero power keeps you in the running constantly. Hence the rise of Doomguard. With some tweaking slowing down hunters and warlock should swing things back in favor of the control/aggro balance blizzard is shooting for. However with the new set around the corner who knows how balance is going to swing again.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Totally disagree. I never overextend in HS. There are too many board wipes and things that can work against you with a bunch of creatures out. Even throwing one extra creature down can have you eat a cleave/fork/multi when if you had held back they would have had no single creature removal and been panicking.

In mtg there were not as many ways to reset the board, especially for certain colors. In hearth every char can punish you for dropping too much, multiple times. The issue with mtg is every creature having built in taunt. The biggest obstacle my mind had to get over when I started playing this game was accepting that creatures need not be dealt with.

Special C

I keep having a stupid problem where It shows that it's still my opponents turn and they keep doing the ''I'm thinking'' emote, but then suddenly the game goes through a bunch of turns where I've ran out of time. No disconnected or reconnecting message or anything, just suddenly getting smashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom