• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salex_

Coming from someone who primary plays fighting games...this game has far too many single player moments. There's a shit ton of RNG elements and the amount of combos that result in losing 15+ HP (most of the time bypassing taunts) is just ridiculous.

It would be cool if they get rid of some of this RNG and added more player interaction.

Minsc

Gold Member
They need to add that ascension card from the tutorial. Would annihilate rush/charge decks.

The one that floats you up and says your hero is immune to damage until all your minions are destroyed. It's like super taunt, as it essentially gives your minions taunt, but better than normal taunt as it can't be silenced or bypassed with spells that hit your hero directly.

ACE 1991

Coming from someone who primary plays fighting games...this game has far too many single player moments. There's a shit ton of RNG elements and the amount of combos that result in losing 15+ HP (most of the time bypassing taunts) is just ridiculous.

It would be cool if they get rid of some of this RNG and added more player interaction.

It's a TCG, brah. This kind of stuff comes with the territory.

They need to add that ascension card from the tutorial. Would annihilate rush/charge decks.

The one that floats you up and says your hero is immune to damage until all your minions are destroyed. It's like super taunt, as it essentially gives your minions taunt, but better than normal taunt as it can't be silenced or bypassed with spells that hit your hero directly.

I think the problem is that it would LITERALLY break them. Though it would force some diversity in the meta if a single class had access to it.

Kassu

Banned
Holy shit what just happened

Turn 4:
GhzBV15.jpg

I thought it was already over but decided not to give up and eventually this happened:

After playing that Ironbark he gave Mark of the Wild to it and after I managed kill that off he played Amani Berserker and Raging Worgen and gave Mark of the Wilds to them too. Wish I had taken more pictures, but I never really thought I would actually win.

Well it's a card game. Good play is about minimizing the impact of randomness. Either by playing to the odds or by putting yourself into a situation where the randomness doesn't matter.

and there's a ton of player interaction? it's a turn based game so you just have to wait your turn to interact.

scy

It's like you can't say anything about a deck or card without someone jumping in with the dismissive 'lol, u just bad, l2p' or 'you're playing wrong' as if any card/deck can counter any other card/deck in any situation with ease. I'm not saying anything is OP, I just noted that this specific deck is hard to beat in a lot of situations.

They can stall with Ice Lance from turn one. They can stall with Frostbolt from turn 2 or combo it with Ice Lance from turn 3 for 7 damage. They can stall with Mirror Image from turn 1 or double Mirror Image in later turns; that's four minions you need to attack before being able to attack their hero. From turn 3 they can freeze your entire board with Frost Nova. From turn 3 they can play Ice Barrier which effectively gives them +8 health per barrier to stall. From turn 3 they can also play Ice Block which makes them immune from lethal. From turn 4 they can stall with Cone of Cold and play Fireball to your face if they feel safe. Turn 6 they can stall with Blizzard and kill low-health minions with it. Turn 7 they can clear your board with Flamestrike and at turn 10 the Pyroblast comes out.

If they get good draws, they can stall on every turn and do a lot of damage to you in a short time without you being able to counter.

I was playing miracle Rogue and would have killed him next turn if he had not had a second Ice Block up (already burned through one Ice Block and two Ice Barriers) and Pyroblast in his hand.

EDIT;
Again; not saying anything is OP, it's just hard to counter in a lot of situations. Whether this is because of the specific deck I'm playing is fine to bring up, but no need to go 'You're playing wrong' or 'Should not kill you' to imply that it's all just down to me and my 'poor' playstyle and 'bad' deck without knowing how I played or what deck I played or any further context.

To be fair, it's hard to say anything without context of the deck involved. So the assumption at that point just goes to "complaining in general." In general, Freeze Mage is still a weak deck as it loses to a lot of the field with an average draw.

Yes, if a Freeze Mage gets good draws then you can be stalled for basically the entire game. The issue is that it takes a near perfect draw to accomplish this on a consistent basis and it typically can't do that reliably. Especially since running all those cards means not running the kind of draw needed to support that style of deck.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I play a Spell-heavy mage with big monsters up top. It works sometimes, but you can only stall and wipe the board so many times. Many decks run so many damn Minions the midgame can be incredibly tough to get through in decent shape. Half the time I'm relying on Straza to bring me back to 15 before I really get rolling. Ragnaros also eats Minion-light Mages alive lategame if they haven't saved up big removal.

Jedi2016

So what's everybody doing to build up their decks? Arena, quests, or buying packs? 'Cause I'm still on the low end of card selection, and I'm trying not to spend a bunch of money on packs.. lol.

JesseZao

Sure, but I don't see how any of this helps against Mages with large ass taunts and Water elementals. Let alone their hero power :)

I know it's just inexperience, but Rogue just feels awful in arena. Their epics don't make it any easier.

I draft (ideally) tempo rogue so I usually would have the board state to clear threats. A lot of rogue is also knowing when to use your dagger or save it.

br3wnor

So what's everybody doing to build up their decks? Arena, quests, or buying packs? 'Cause I'm still on the low end of card selection, and I'm trying not to spend a bunch of money on packs.. lol.

I just played for a few months, doing the daily quests and trying to get as much gold as possible each day I played. Bought a lot of decks and then started doing Arena. After a while I ended up buying about $20 worth of decks which helped flesh out some things, but that's the only real $ I've spent. Keep dusting any extra cards or legendaries you don't want, eventually you'll have some nice Leg's and really good common cards to make decks with. If you don't mind playing for a few months you won't have to spend real $, but if you want to speed up the process, just buy some packs to help boost your decks.

*If you're looking purely to buy as many packs as possible than don't bother with Arena and just buy a pack for every 100g you have. If you're good at Arena and can consistently win 4-5+ matches each time through, then it's usually a wash value wise and more fun than just grinding gold to buy more packs.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

Just play. If you do your dailies and win 3-9 games a day you can easily get 5 packs minimum a week. If you're good enough, arena will be a great return, but I usually only have one arena open every week. Constructed is where the fun is at.

ViviOggi

Had a huge board as Mage at 10-2, thought I didn't have lethal because I didn't account for the 1 damage Mana Wyrm would get from my Fireball, next turn the enemy kills me through taunt with UTH (just for the beast bonus) + 2x Kill Command + Hero Ability. UGH. I think I need to take more time with my turns.

Mage's still pretty damn easy though.

shas'la

Been away on holidays for the last few weeks, can anyone tell me if the meta has shifted at all, are there any viable priest decks yet (vs. zoo lock etc)

ViviOggi

Been away on holidays for the last few weeks, can anyone tell me if the meta has shifted at all, are there any viable priest decks yet (vs. zoo lock etc)

If you've seen Zoo already not much has changed. Hunters are shifting to a somewhat midrange style with Highmanes, Houndmasters etc. and a bunch of people seem to be experimenting with Priest, but I don't know any specifics.

scy

Depends on the rank, too. Near Legend has lost Zoo and Hunter almost entirely. It's highly volatile though.

sibarraz

Banned
Today in a ranked match, I was the luckiest guy on earth

I was paladin against a rogue, she controlled me through the whole match without invoking a lot of minions, but destroying and nullyfing almost all of mine.

She had 21 of HP and I 25, In my field I had a guardian of kings, a Shattered sun cleric. and a true silver weapon. The rogue only had her basic weapon

And then, the clusterfuck began, He invokes a Leeroy Jenkins, and gave him 4 more of damage with a rogue card, attacks me and returns him to his hand, invokes him again (with 2 less of mana) and gave him stealth.

With only 8 of HP and knowing that with only 1 attack of leeroy and a eviscerate I will be fucked, I saw the match lost.

Thanks the leeroy I had 4 welps, but they were only 1/1. In my hand I had a stormwind Knight, 2 Blessing of Kings, 2 of those 4/4 that win 1/1 for each monster on the field, 2 5/6 with taunt, and a hammer of wrath.

My mathematics said that I couldn't win in this turn, If I used both blessing of kings, he will remain with 1 of hp. so I decide to hope for a final attack, survive next turn and win. I launch the hammer of wrath, draw a card, and with all the luck in the world, I got a raid leader, who gave me +6 of attack combined. I attack with everything that I got and won with the damage necesary

FStop7

Banned
Thoughts on which single card, pound for pound, is the highest value in the game?

I think it's either Harvest Golem or Leper Gnome. I lean toward Leper. It comes out early. It has 2 attack. It does 2 more damage as a death rattle. It's guaranteed value - either it will do direct damage or your opponent will waste valuable resources like a silence to prevent it. Either way, you benefit from it

CoolOff

Thoughts on which single card, pound for pound, is the highest value in the game?

I think it's either Harvest Golem or Leper Gnome. I lean toward Leper. It comes out early. It has 2 attack. It does 2 more damage as a death rattle. It's guaranteed value - either it will do direct damage or your opponent will waste valuable resources like a silence to prevent it. Either way, you benefit from it

No way it's Leper, not with 1 hp. Harvest Golem is a good shout, but Savannah Highmane and Fire Elemental are up there as well.

ViviOggi

Are there any cheap rogue decks that are good for climbing the ladder? Oscillating between rank 20 and 19 is hella boring :(

I've been trying this deck but found the results to be rather underwhelming in the current non-Legend meta. Miracle works alright without Edwin and Arcane Golem instead of Leeroy, but you'll need two Preps for sure. Or you could give this more recent one a whirl which seems to tech against Zoo and Hunter in particular.

Kosma

Banned
Yessssssss Golden Bloodmage Thalnos! Curse is broken.

Now should I dust him and make something usefull or? Having a golden legendary seems so wastefull if I won't play him.

Cairne? Rag? Leeroy?

Edit:

Fuck that pack above me -_-

ViviOggi

Now should I dust him and make something usefull or? Having a golden legendary seems so wastefull if I won't play him.

Cairne? Rag? Leeroy?

Thalnos is great though, I'd love me a golden one.

Does his Deathrattle draw you a golden card by any chance?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

Cairne? Rag? Leeroy?

Edit:

Fuck that pack above me -_-

Do you have many win conditions? If so, Cairne to bait removal. If not, the other two.

ViviOggi

Thoughtsteal is so fucking rigged, this kid just pulled the perfect Backstab+SI:7 combo and if that wasn't enough finished me with my own Leeroy. Likely selective memory but they always seem to pull at least one piece of removal.

I'm an expert

Thoughtsteal is so fucking rigged, this kid just pulled the perfect Backstab+SI:7 combo and if that wasn't enough finished me with my own Leeroy. Likely selective memory but they always seem to pull at least one piece of removal.

They always get my best removal+legendary. And by always I mean always. Been alternating between sham and mage.. every priest got sheep/hex and ysera/cairne.

Kosma

Banned
Guess ill keep golden thalnos until im 100% certain what I need, maybe see all the new legs from Naxx.

Thalnos is great though, I'd love me a golden one.

Does his Deathrattle draw you a golden card by any chance?

No idea, think so. Will check it out tomorrow

Which deck does he even fit in?

I'm an expert

Guess ill keep golden thalnos until im 100% certain what I need, maybe see all the new legs from Naxx.

No idea, think so. Will check it out tomorrow

Today I've seen him in shield pally, aggro mage, tempo sham, and some rogue decks that weren't miracle but weren't rush either.

Rockk

Watcher priest can destroy zoo (but hunter is still difficult) and is what I'm using to climb the rank this season.

Mage, Shaman, Druid, Rogue all use him regularly. Priest doesn't usually run him but you can sometimes. The rest don't really bother with him.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I know I'm not the best player or anything, but I love my Mage spellpower deck. It's just so easy to clear the board of any threats.

Also I'm pretty sure I make priests cry with how many 4 damage minions I have.

ODrfmqd.jpg

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
my best arena runs are always when I don't draft the cards everyone is passed they don't get. 9-3 on a pally with no truesilver or consecrate blew my mind.

Yeah, my deck had a perfect midrange / tempo curve. Made for excellent starting hands.

I beat two Ragnaros. Big game hunter was a star actually. Auto win when you play it on turn 8 vs a war golem or sea giant

Yeah, my deck had a perfect midrange / tempo curve. Made for excellent starting hands.

I beat two Ragnaros. Big game hunter was a star actually. Auto win when you play it on turn 8 vs a war golem or sea giant

BGH is a very valuable card in the current meta cause it is valuable against both miracle rogues and ramp druids.

Water

Fourth day of playing Hearthstone. Finished my 8th arena run overall, first ever run with mage, with a new high score of 10-3. Last game was so close that I got the rogue opponent to an empty hand, empty board, under 10 life, before they killed me with the last remaining durability point on their Assassin's Blade. Got 240g reward and my second epic card. My arena win average so far is something like 4.5 wins/run. If I understand correctly, this is far better than expected and probably indicates I've had a streak of luck to start with.

I'm an expert

Fourth day of playing Hearthstone. Finished my 8th arena run overall, first ever run with mage, with a new high score of 10-3. Last game was so close that I got the rogue opponent to an empty hand, empty board, under 10 life, before they killed me with the last remaining durability point on their Assassin's Blade. Got 240g reward and my second epic card. My arena win average so far is something like 4.5 wins/run. If I understand correctly, this is far better than expected and probably indicates I've had a streak of luck to start with.

It's pretty normal I'd say. Everything can be luck with arena though. Sometimes you feel you got a great draft and go 0-3 just because that's how it went. Sometimes you think you have crap but can't lose. Look at how many people keep posting here with "I didn't get any of the staple cards and some how went 11-3!"

What arena teaches you is how to make due with what you have, and in essence to not "expect" to draw a certain card like you would in constructed. It also teaches you to expect the unexpected..like yes.. your opponent does have that 4th sheep in hand..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom