• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizazedo

I'm trying out a gadgetzan priest deck and the first match where things are going my way... both my finishers (stormpike knight) are in the last 5 cards... ouch. I got through my deck in like 11 turns. Worked out well. Just stupidly bad luck.

What list are you using, Mobius? I tried a similar deck last week (both with stormwind knights for finishers due to the 2/5 aspect) and just couldn't finish people off.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I was very fortunate today and picked up a gold crested Tirion Fordring. He disenchants for 1600 so enough to create a normal legendary. I primarily play druid and I haven't tried too many other classes. What is a good legendary that will work in multiple decks? I kinda want the +4 spell power dragon or the emerald dream dragon, or maybe the black knight who seems good. Any suggestions appreciated.

Think carefully before DE-ing a Gold Legendary, especially one useful in a lot of pally decks.

That said, Leeroy is the finisher for many decks. Ragnaros is a staple as is Ysera for control. Cairne might be more useful than Rag / Ysera due to cost.

Bloodmage thalnos isn't as sexy but is a frequent contributor.

FStop7

Banned
Having some pretty encouraging results in constructed w/ this.

ilyvtbxPJLHcG.png

I don't think I'm going to keep Healing Touch. So far I haven't needed it. I think the deck
would benefit from Faceless Manipulator but I don't have one right now. Once I get the dust I'll probably craft one.

There are a couple of different strategies - either maintain board control and unleash Rag or get Violet Teacher out early and start spamming out students, then buff their attack.

I literally just started playing Druid yesterday so I'm still getting my head around the class.

In the late game sometimes an opponent has spammed out minions to try and lower the odds of Rag hitting the face or key taunts. If I keep an extra Keeper of the Grove in my hand I can silence Rag and then launch him directly at a specific target.

What is a good legendary that will work in multiple decks?.

I'd definitely de the golden Tiron if you don't have many other legendary cards.

Leeroy is a good card if you're looking for punch..(Aggro decks, Miracle rogue, etc).

Caire is a great card for nearly anyone...He's a giant Harvest Golem.

Also Rag can work in nearly any deck..drop him and he's gonna hit someone for 8.

So yeah, I'd say in order, Caire, Rag, and then Leeroy...The mana cost of Rag and Leeroy's situational nature make them second to Cairne.

Rockk

I was very fortunate today and picked up a gold crested Tirion Fordring. He disenchants for 1600 so enough to create a normal legendary. I primarily play druid and I haven't tried too many other classes. What is a good legendary that will work in multiple decks? I kinda want the +4 spell power dragon or the emerald dream dragon, or maybe the black knight who seems good. Any suggestions appreciated.

Tirion is top 5 legendary. Even if you don't play Paladin I wouldn't disenchant.

also the rise of priest is happening I think. it's becoming pretty good against the meta.

What list are you using, Mobius? I tried a similar deck last week (both with stormwind knights for finishers due to the 2/5 aspect) and just couldn't finish people off.

My own brew really.

For card draw I had NS cleric, loot hoarder, acolyte, powerword shield, and gadgetzan

For damage I had lightwardens, mana addicts, and mind blast

For board clear I had wild pyro, smite, power word pain, and shadow madness

Then the wombo combo stormwind knights with the innerfire divine spirit stuff.

All I needed to draw was a single stormwind knight but I had enough combo to really do him in by like an extra 10 damage.

I am thinking about including silence in case they drop a taunt, in which case a 0 cost silence would be perfect. I am not sure what I would cut yet. Maybe shadow madness. I could also cut NS cleric.

I'm on the other boat.

If you ever want to play a Pally deck Tirion is a must. He is the best class specific legendary card. If Paladins ever get buffed, you are going to miss him.

I'm on the other boat.

If you ever want to play a Pally deck Tirion is a must. He is the best class specific legendary card. If Paladins ever get buffed, you are going to miss him.

I don't really like Paladin. I've played with every class and druid is still my favorite class. I'm going through and fully leveling them up and learning the ropes to see which class I really prefer. Also, I torched tirion and got cairne bloodhoof, he is already so clutch. Cant wait to get a few more legends

I... I just bought 10 packs as I hit exactly 1000 gold.

I couldn't resist!

Exactly what I did...was saving for adventure mode and today said f-it.

1k worth of boosters.

3 epics, no legendaries and about 400 worth of dust..Used the dust to make a Cabal Shadow Priest...Took Cho out of my priest deck, as while it's fun, it also poses the same problem for me that it does for my opponent...CSP at least only works for me...lol

I'll save later for the adventure mode..Or at least when we know a specific date.

Water

Hey guys, first post on this thread. I started playing HS three days ago. Leveled up the heroes to get the basic cards and to get a feel for how the heroes work, and after that I've been just doing arena. The gold from leveling the characters and the achievements seems to go a long way since the arena gives you a lot of gold back when you win even a couple of times. These are my 7-and-a-half first arena runs:

??? 0-3 (the free round, just messing around after doing the tutorial; the rest are after actually knowing the game a bit)
warlock 0-3
shaman 6-3
shaman 7-3
priest 4-3
druid 3-3
pala 6-3
mage 3-1 (in progress)

I used Trump's and antigrav1ty's card value rankings as a base, but of course used judgment based on what the mana curve, minion distribution and removal situation was at the time.
Feels like a good idea to me to play arena as much as possible vs buying packs since the arena is level playing ground. Constructed isn't so interesting before having the cards to do well.

Hearthstone tracker is pretty interesting. I've tracked my first 50 games (using HT that is) using only a priest. Using my new FUN Priest deck (minus Cho + CSP) here are some interesting stats. 38 are ranked and 12 are casual play.

Total record=29-21.

Played 8 Paladins, 8 Hunters, 8 Priests, 7 Druids, 6 Mages, 4 Warriors, 4 Warlocks, 3 Rogues and 2 Shamans.

Surprising coin stats as I always want the coin but it doesn't make a big difference:

Win percent w/coin=60%
W/O Coin=57%

If a game goes over ten rounds (so >20 turns) I am 15-7.
Longest game=53 turns....Shortest game=9 turns

I've done the worst versus Hunters and Rogues (3-5) and (1-2). I've done my best against Shaman (2-0) and Warriors & Warlocks (3-1).

Side note: Was playing a slow rogue today...Every turn he'd take the maximum time and he wasn't even drawing tons of cards..Just all last second plays...I tried doing it back but it didn't fix anything...Get him down to 7 health and I had 25...Eventually, he gets me down to about 9 and he has 3, but plays his Sprint card with no cards remaining, but he still had some in his hand...lol...Best way ever to beat that jackass...

TheContact

I've been playing since closed beta and I've never bought a pack with real money but I still only have one legendary--al akir or something. It's not that good. So unlucky

Mutombo

How are you guys getting so much money?

Fuck, I got to rank 17 or 18 but my deck can't hold up against the epics and legenderies which I'm clearly missing. Back to 20 again.

How are you guys getting so much money?

Fuck, I got to rank 17 or 18 but my deck can't hold up against the epics and legenderies which I'm clearly missing. Back to 20 again.

Well I saved for a couple of weeks and played every day. Playing and winning games to get the 10g for 3 wins, doing dailies, and when I can, rerolling the dailies to get the most gold I can from them...Not doing any arena....That's basically it.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
What's up with all the Mage decks that just sit around doing nothing and then winning by doing turn 9 Fireball Fireball turn 10 Pyroblast turn 11 Pyroblast. Near impossible to counter since spells don't give a fuck about taunts and can only be countered by a Mage secret, and killing them before they can play them is near impossible with Ice Block, Ice Barrier, Flamestrike, Mirror Image, all of the freezing spells and Polymorph.

Violet_0

Banned
What's up with all the Mage decks that just sit around doing nothing and then winning by doing turn 9 Fireball Fireball turn 10 Pyroblast turn 11 Pyroblast. Near impossible to counter since spells don't give a fuck about taunts and can only be countered by a Mage secret, and killing them before they can play them is near impossible with Ice Block, Ice Barrier, Flamestrike, Mirror Image, all of the freezing spells and Polymorph.

that's so 2013
- Pyroblast mage making a comeback?

do we know when the adventure mode is going to be released? I haven't really played since the Tinker/Paggle nerfs

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Double Pyroblast is way too slow and should not kill you.
Then tell me how to counter it when my minions are frozen all the time or slowed down by Mirror Image or Ice Barrier or totally useless due to Ice Block or killed by Flamestrike or Vaporize etc. instead of doing a driveby 'lol l2p' post.

Copenap

Then tell me how to counter it when my minions are frozen all the time or slowed down by Mirror Image or Ice Barrier or totally useless due to Ice Block or killed by Flamestrike or Vaporize etc. instead of doing a driveby 'lol l2p' post.
Dude, relax. I don't know your deck but if you're getting killed by double Pyroblast you're doing something wrong. Especially know that mages can't Ice Block together with Pyroblast to stall for another turn. Maybe instead of posting insightful stuff like "near impossible to counter" you should wonder why these decks are not popular at the top level and question your playstyle and deck instead of blaming the op'nes of your opponents deck.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, relax. I don't know your deck but if you're getting killed by double Pyroblast you're doing something wrong. Especially know that mages can't Ice Block together with Pyroblast to stall for another turn. Maybe instead of posting insightful stuff like "near impossible to counter" you should wonder why these decks are not popular at the top level and question your playstyle and deck instead of blaming the op'nes of your opponents deck.
It's like you can't say anything about a deck or card without someone jumping in with the dismissive 'lol, u just bad, l2p' or 'you're playing wrong' as if any card/deck can counter any other card/deck in any situation with ease. I'm not saying anything is OP, I just noted that this specific deck is hard to beat in a lot of situations.

They can stall with Ice Lance from turn one. They can stall with Frostbolt from turn 2 or combo it with Ice Lance from turn 3 for 7 damage. They can stall with Mirror Image from turn 1 or double Mirror Image in later turns; that's four minions you need to attack before being able to attack their hero. From turn 3 they can freeze your entire board with Frost Nova. From turn 3 they can play Ice Barrier which effectively gives them +8 health per barrier to stall. From turn 3 they can also play Ice Block which makes them immune from lethal. From turn 4 they can stall with Cone of Cold and play Fireball to your face if they feel safe. Turn 6 they can stall with Blizzard and kill low-health minions with it. Turn 7 they can clear your board with Flamestrike and at turn 10 the Pyroblast comes out.

If they get good draws, they can stall on every turn and do a lot of damage to you in a short time without you being able to counter.

I was playing miracle Rogue and would have killed him next turn if he had not had a second Ice Block up (already burned through one Ice Block and two Ice Barriers) and Pyroblast in his hand.

EDIT;
Again; not saying anything is OP, it's just hard to counter in a lot of situations. Whether this is because of the specific deck I'm playing is fine to bring up, but no need to go 'You're playing wrong' or 'Should not kill you' to imply that it's all just down to me and my 'poor' playstyle and 'bad' deck without knowing how I played or what deck I played or any further context.

zoukka

Haven't seen that combo yet but it seems a bit unnecessary. If the game gets to turn 9-10 the mage should have gotten you to 15hp anyways or is there some new deck?

The point is, you don't need to waste any burn before Alex, just stay alive behind ice blocks/barriers.

Mutombo

It's like you can't say anything about a deck or card without someone jumping in with the dismissive 'lol, u just bad, l2p' or 'you're playing wrong' as if any card/deck can counter any other card/deck in any situation with ease. I'm not saying anything is OP, I just noted that this specific deck is hard to beat in a lot of situations.

They can stall with Ice Lance from turn one. They can stall with Frostbolt from turn 2 or combo it with Ice Lance from turn 3 for 7 damage. They can stall with Mirror Image from turn 1 or double Mirror Image in later turns; that's four minions you need to attack before being able to attack their hero. From turn 3 they can freeze your entire board with Frost Nova. From turn 3 they can play Ice Barrier which effectively gives them +8 health per barrier to stall. From turn 3 they can also play Ice Block which makes them immune from lethal. From turn 4 they can stall with Cone of Cold and play Fireball to your face if they feel safe. Turn 6 they can stall with Blizzard and kill low-health minions with it. Turn 7 they can clear your board with Flamestrike and at turn 10 the Pyroblast comes out.

If they get good draws, they can stall on every turn and do a lot of damage to you in a short time without you being able to counter.

I was playing miracle Rogue and would have killed him next turn if he had not had a second Ice Block up (already burned through one Ice Block and two Ice Barriers) and Pyroblast in his hand.

EDIT;
Again; not saying anything is OP, it's just hard to counter in a lot of situations. Whether this is because of the specific deck I'm playing is fine to bring up, but no need to go 'You're playing wrong' or 'Should not kill you' to imply that it's all just down to me and my 'poor' playstyle and 'bad' deck without knowing how I played or what deck I played or any further context.

I sort of agree. A minion heavy deck gets absolutely snowballed to death ones the mage gets a-throwin.

zoukka

Man I'm the worst arena rogue player alive. Can't draft a deck that isn't a gimmicky pile of shit that loses to all strategies.

Yep leeroy is very good. Sometimes I feel like replacing him but then remember all the crazy good top deck situations where I am hovering around a few point out of lethal with what I have and leeroy seals the deal.

edit:
I mean technically arcane golem is 4damage for 3 mana, so it is actually a pretty good finisher as well.

zoukka

Backstabs, deadly poisons, eviscerates, perditions blade, si7, tend lower curve with quality minions, and go 9+.

Sure, but I don't see how any of this helps against Mages with large ass taunts and Water elementals. Let alone their hero power :)

I know it's just inexperience, but Rogue just feels awful in arena. Their epics don't make it any easier.

ViviOggi

Sure, but I don't see how any of this helps against Mages with large ass taunts and Water elementals. Let alone their hero power :)

I know it's just inexperience, but Rogue just feels awful in arena. Their epics don't make it any easier.

Eh, if the Rogue excels at anything it's removing single threats without having to trade in much of their board, so taunts generally shouldn't be a problem. Water Elementals have to die immediately, but that doesn't take more than a leftover 2/x and an Eviscerate either unless they lucked out and drafted 3+ of them.

Like you said it's just inexperience, Rogue is by far my most successful Arena class and a no-brainer pick. Warrior on the other hand feels terrible for me without Fiery Win Axes.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ugggh.

I've gotten 6 legendaries from card packs and two of them were dupes. =(

Oh well, at least I had enough dust for Rag now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom