• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

I'm pretty new to HS so feel free to shit in my opinion if it's wrong :p

I mean, most of this comes from playing Zoo where the goal of the deck is to have some kind of wrath resilience / win despite a wrath. Overextending with the more mid-range and control decks is pretty much the way to lose. It's not really that different from MtG.

Kosh

I've noticed my friends list is a little short. If anyone wants to add me it's Kosh#1600. I'm looking to do some practicing. Currently I'm trying to learn Miracle Rogue in all its iterations and intricacies.

Ashodin

I mean, most of this comes from playing Zoo where the goal of the deck is to have some kind of wrath resilience / win despite a wrath. Overextending with the more mid-range and control decks is pretty much the way to lose. It's not really that different from MtG.

I LOVE ZOO

scy

I actually tried the mid-range Hunter. I like it but I find it funny that it basically loses to (or at least has a worse-than-expected match-up) the things that the old Hunter beat.

I don't really hate decks or metas, though. I'm weird, I guess?

Minsc

Gold Member
I actually tried the mid-range Hunter. I like it but I find it funny that it basically loses to (or at least has a worse-than-expected match-up) the things that the old Hunter beat.

I don't really hate decks or metas, though. I'm weird, I guess?

There is something nice when you know what your opponent is going to play against you... I find myself most comfortable in matches where I correctly guess the deck being used against me.

The games where they start early with a card that's completely unexpected to the normal decks for that hero cause me to play the most cautiously.

Rockk

Can someone post a decklist to the Priest that everyone seems to be running at the moment? Holy Fire, Wild Pyro, Clerics etc.

This is Amaz's watcher deck. Or something similair, I run Cairne over Cabal, and run a silence over a second holy fire. But it's more or less the same. You can experiment with running smites, or shadow word pains but I dont think they really fit. early game I'd rather throw up a watcher and sunfury then use them.

OqCajx1.jpg

Just played against a Priest as a Mage. He was loading up his side with taunts, Lightwells and Clerics. I was all too happy to leave him overdrawing, burning his inner fires and eventually fatigue himself.

Speaking of priest games, I just turned that 1 attack 7 health taunt guy into a 36/36 monster with two double healths and +2 health and "make health equal to attack." My opponent had 30 health with 4 armor, and I beat him in one move.

sohois

Speaking of priest games, I just turned that 1 attack 7 health taunt guy into a 36/36 monster with two double healths and +2 health and "make health equal to attack." My opponent had 30 health with 4 armor, and I beat him in one move.

Always a fun move. I remember wrecking some guy with a 20/20 acolyte of pain.

Brofist

I feel like playing 3 games of miracle rogue in a row without drawing an Auctioneer 20 cards deep each time is the games way of telling me to take the day off.

Currently fighting an expensive paladin. Gold Tirion, gold cairne, gold sylvanas, gold rag...

How much do you think that cost him?

Just used his stolen sylvanas to take his tirion lol. He conceded after AW

MnCWC92.jpg

johnsmith

remember me
Do rogues have a counter? They're seriously fucking up both my warlock zoo and midrange hunter decks, which would explain their return this season.

I'm partial to ancient of lore. More versatile as an early first pick imo.

Went with Lore. Got a Starfire and a Swipe and now I have the choice of Onyxia, Cenarius and Sylvanas. This is a sweet draft so far. With the cards so far, Cenarius for the versatility or else Sylvanas?

inky

Went with Lore. Got a Starfire and a Swipe and now I have the choice of Onyxia, Cenarius and Sylvanas. This is a sweet draft so far. With the cards so far, Cenarius for the versatility or else Sylvanas?

I prefer Cenarius, but consider your curve before. He can be hard to play in Arena where people go super low cost most of the time. Sylv is a nice body and makes people pause, so there's that.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Currently fighting an expensive paladin. Gold Tirion, gold cairne, gold sylvanas, gold rag...

How much do you think that cost him?

Just used his stolen sylvanas to take his tirion lol. He conceded after AW

MnCWC92.jpg

If he's been playing since the beginning, probably didn't cost anything but time.

FStop7

Banned
Fuckyouhunterfuckyoufuckyoufuckyouhunter.

Learning M. Rogue on the ladder, went up against AGH (another goddamn hunter), did all the right things to avoid the hounds, but was still getting chewed away at thanks to the ridiculous hero power and Skill Command.

I was down to 3 health vs. his 14. He had no minions on the board, no cards in his hand, and Eaglehorn Bow equipped. I bought myself one more turn by playing Earthen Ring Farseer to bring my health up to 6. I also had an Auctioneer on the board and a 3dmg, 1durability blade equipped. He hits me with his hero power and his bow to bring me down to 1 health and starts spamming well played. I play the Blade Flurry I'd been hanging on to. Auctioneer buff draws Eviscerate. FUCK YOU, HUNTER. 3 damage from blade flurry, 4 from eviscerate, 4 from Auctioneer to the face, 3 from Farseer to the face. I hope he raged.

So tired of hunters. I quit playing the class because of how predictable and rote it is. And that's the big problem - it's totally predictable, yet it's unavoidable.

johnsmith

remember me
I'm done with ranked for a couple of weeks until the meta shifts/I get lucky with packs(lol) and can build better decks/the better players hit legend. I can't even make it past rank 10.

So most of us are having problems with hunters as they're obviously op'ed, but the question is: How do you best beat a hunter?

I've done it a number of times, but it's pretty infrequent, and it always seems the same...

1. Don't overload the board minions until both UTHs have been played...Until that happens, I try not to play more than one minion at a time (max 2), or if I have multiple minions they have high health, or some sort of taunt, as obviously they can best absorb juiced up UTH.

2. Outlast them. My priest deck is really slow, but basically if I can survive what the hunter dishes out in the first 6-8 turns, they run out of cards and are topdecking from there. I take control at that point.

3. Save AOE for the eventual UTH. Save silence for hyenna. Prioritize healing myself if I can as they're always chipping away at your health, even in a best case scenario.

I'm just not sure what else can be done. I'm sure other people have good tips for beating a hunter.

sohois

Whilst we're on the subject of OPness, what are general buffs/nerfs you hope to see in the next patch?

UTH is the obvious one - saw a good suggestion in this thread that simply making the hounds not beast types would be a great way to nerf it somewhat

Priest and Paladin both need buffs, which I imagine will be achieved mostly through new cards for them. I do however, feel like one buff Priest really needs is to its hero power. Difficult to do when you are dealing with such small integers, but 2 possible ways would be: Allow the priest to heal himself beyond 30 ; Have the power add +1 health to undamaged minions.

Thoughts and other suggestions?

Whilst we're on the subject of OPness, what are general buffs/nerfs you hope to see in the next patch?

UTH is the obvious one - saw a good suggestion in this thread that simply making the hounds not beast types would be a great way to nerf it somewhat

Priest and Paladin both need buffs, which I imagine will be achieved mostly through new cards for them. I do however, feel like one buff Priest really needs is to its hero power. Difficult to do when you are dealing with such small integers, but 2 possible ways would be: Allow the priest to heal himself beyond 30 ; Have the power add +1 health to undamaged minions.

Thoughts and other suggestions?

This is a good question. Considering that Hunters are so over the top op'ed, they need multiple nerfs in the opposite direction.

Such as: Increasing UTH to 3 mana, along with it only creating 2 hounds (not based on opposing minions), or 4 mana, based on opposing minions, but they don't have charge...

Probably completely do away with tracking and/or flare...no reason they should have the ability to burn anyone's secrets, and/or completely hand select cards..

-Increase the "kill random enemy" spell to 4 mana...

-Increase the cost of buzzard, or limit the amount it can draw per turn to 1.

-Decrease hero power to just 1 dmg.

As far as buffs go, I'm not so sure as that changes everything...But nerf the hunter as described and they'll still be competitive but more in line with all other classes.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Fuck me.. ice block should proc on fatigue.. that's not fair. =(

sohois

This is a good question. Considering that Hunters are so over the top op'ed, they need multiple nerfs in the opposite direction.

Such as: Increasing UTH to 3 mana, along with it only creating 2 hounds (not based on opposing minions), or 4 mana, based on opposing minions, but they don't have charge...

Probably completely do away with tracking and/or flare...no reason they should have the ability to burn anyone's secrets, and/or completely hand select cards..

-Increase the "kill random enemy" spell to 4 mana...

-Increase the cost of buzzard, or limit the amount it can draw per turn to 1.

-Decrease hero power to just 1 dmg.

As far as buffs go, I'm not so sure as that changes everything...But nerf the hunter as described and they'll still be competitive but more in line with all other classes.

Think you might be a bit harsh there;

in particular, Buzzard is generally fine, a 2/1 minion for 2 cost is really pretty poor and is gonna get wiped frequently before it can draw. The issue with the card is the synergy with UTH, not Buzzard itself.

As for the hero power, reducing it to 1 damage means it is just a weaker version of the mage hero power.

Think you might be a bit harsh there;

in particular, Buzzard is generally fine, a 2/1 minion for 2 cost is really pretty poor and is gonna get wiped frequently before it can draw. The issue with the card is the synergy with UTH, not Buzzard itself.

As for the hero power, reducing it to 1 damage means it is just a weaker version of the mage hero power.

Well it could be like pint-sized summoner (where the first minion is reduced cost)...Buzzard could draw one card on just the first beast summoned...Increase it's health to 2..I think PSS is 2/2.

For hero power, I'm okay with it just like the mage...they can direct it whereever they want for 1 dmg (2 mana cost).

CoolOff

Just change Buzzard from "Beast summoned" to "Beast played". I guess that nerfs it for Highmane-death and Animal Companion too, but whatever.

scy

So most of us are having problems with hunters as they're obviously op'ed, but the question is: How do you best beat a hunter?

Depends entirely on what kind of Hunter deck it is. There's two different ones (aggro, mid-range) and they're weak to different things entirely.

Depends entirely on what kind of Hunter deck it is. There's two different ones (aggro, mid-range) and they're weak to different things entirely.

Okay...Well what are the weaknesses then? I have very little idea. All the hunter decks I face feel the same...A big wind up for UTH, dropping that Deathmane, buzzard card draw...bunch of secrets...longbow...

Fuck me.. ice block should proc on fatigue.. that's not fair. =(

I think it used to but now since secrets no longer activate on the controller's turn... yeah.

Basically only if say a druid uses naturalize to force you to draw cards on his turn will ice block save you from fatigue, but then you'd probably die at the beginning of your turn anyway lol

scy

Typically Highmane decks are mid-range focused ones so they don't actually have a lot of early board control so UtH is a pivotal removal and draw engine that can be baited out. They usually don't actually run Bow and a ton of traps (though maybe a few, I think Kolento did a hybrid-y one for a bit), though. Those are the Hunters you can actually just play a few early drops against and force bad responses from them.

Edit: Humorously, they're weaker to things like Miracle Rogue and Shaman mid-range decks that aggro Hunter crowded out but better versus the pure control stuff that beat out Hunter.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This is why Turn 1 Goldshire Footman is tech.

Everyone will be caught off guard/underestimate you if you drop Footman!

Triz

So, Turn 1 Dragon Hawk, turn 2 2x Abusive Sargent just happened to me in Arena.

I don't even know how I'm supposed to react to that...

Posted a few pages back.

Just had the worse ass kicking ever in Arena.

Palladin:
turn 1 young dragonhawk.
Me Shaman: pass (had no one drops)
Turn 2 blessing of might , plays secret (Noble Sacrifice)
MeShaman: shit got to clear that dragonhawk, I use stormforge axe to attack it and take the 4 to my face. Nope secret pops and I take that hit.
Pally Turn 3: he plays a taunt which I attack to clear I know Im screwed at this point.
Pally turn 4 stonetusk boar Blessing of might me dead

Wrecked in 4 turns. smh.

As a warlock, I'm down to 1 HP against a Warrior with 15. I can commit suicide by Hellfire or hero power, but instead I play Molten Giant for 0, Sen'jin, Harvest Golem, Fairy Dragon, and Blood Imp. The Warrior had no more cards in his hand, so a few turns later I win. I really should remember to take a screenshot.

Of course, I lose to a Priest and a UTH Hunter afterwards :/

So now that I'm trying to do rogue for my daily quest, if you get auctioneer in your opening hand, do you put it back in the deck? Considering it seems pretty impossible to win without the card, should I risk not drawing it for the whole game?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
So now that I'm trying to do rogue for my daily quest, if you get auctioneer in your opening hand, do you put it back in the deck? Considering it seems pretty impossible to win without the card, should I risk not drawing it for the whole game?

against aggro, yes, you need removal more.

against a slower deck, you hold the auctioneer

keep in mind, you generally won't want to play auctioneer until turn 6 unless you have the perfect spells in hand. holding him for 5 turns (when you have other card draw) is a loooong time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom