• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiguel182

do golden cards offer anything except being golden?

I have three of the same with one being golden, can I just swap it for dust without any downside?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
do golden cards offer anything except being golden?

I have three of the same with one being golden, can I just swap it for dust without any downside?

You're losing swag by dusting it.

Opiate

The most annoying combo in game is equality+pyro.

Especially if you just got ahead of the paladin and then BAAM all your units are dead in one turn

I get frustrated more broadly; when someone has 2x the card they need within the first, say, 15 cards of the game.

You play a big minion, it gets polymorphed. But you planned for this, because you're 11 cards in, it seemed likely. So the next turn you play your other big creature, and then he has another polymorph. Or, alternatively, you have a nice board against a paladin, but he equality/pyros it. But you had a contingency, and play 3 more creatures the next turn, only to have him equality/consecrate you.

I can play around some cards, but I can't play around you having every card you need within the first 13 cards. Also, you didn't add me.

ShinNL

I get frustrated more broadly; when someone has 2x the card they need within the first, say, 15 cards of the game.

You play a big minion, it gets polymorphed. But you planned for this, because you're 11 cards in, it seemed likely. So the next turn you play your other big creature, and then he has another polymorph. Or, alternatively, you have a nice board against a paladin, but he equality/pyros it. But you had a contingency, and play 3 more creatures the next turn, only to have him equality/consecrate you.

I can play around some cards, but I can't play around you having every card you need within the first 13 cards.
I can live through having double poly or double hex. But what I really think is the most bullshit thing ever is when I see buzzard / hyena + UTH twice in the first 11 cards. You get a good starts to force them to do it early with only 4 mana (no possibility for timber) only to see it right away the next turn.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Draft Druid deck with 3 swipes, 2 ironbarks, an ancient of lore, a keeper, and a druid of the claw: 2-3

Draft herpy derpy Hunter rush deck: 6-1.

RNJesus plz.

I'd say just look at why you think you lost those matches and start tweaking your decks with the other cards you have to try and counter those threats. I was originally doing a fairly cheap warrior deck I found online and I would get the same results. Absolutely destroy some matches and get destroyed the others. That gets boring after a while. The matches are either really no challenge or nearly impossible. I went back and started swapping out cards and iterating on the deck I had. Now I feel like I have a decent chance against any deck, but all my matches are a lot closer. I tend to have few blowouts, but I think it's more interesting that way. Close games are more dramatic and nail-biting. Usually when I lose, it's only by a turn. I typically could have done fatal on the next. To me that's more fun and challenging. I am surprised you're able to do that well with the starter decks. I only used them through the tutorial and assumed they'd be somewhat poor in online match-ups.

Awesome, thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it.

ShinNL

Someone share me a deck that consistently owns Hunters. I'm getting sick of their broken bullshit. And please no decks that end up just dying slowly and thus not being counters at all. Nor decks that require specifically 3 certain cards in an opening hand because that's not gonna happen. When people can win even though they play random Arcane Golems mid-game then you know this shit is not balanced.

RPGCrazied

So ranked doesn't keep how much you win or lose? So if I lose a game, it wont stay on my record. I'll just never move up on the next rank? I guess if you lose enough you can lose rank?

Make an aggro deck. Zoo (variationf of warlock aggro) or Hunter decks are great budget decks, along with Rogue. The problem is people try to make control decks when they don't have any of the good control cards, though you could probably make a budget control priest too. I think Warrior/Pally/Druid suffer the most from not having the right cards (in a control deck). You can make a great budget mid-range deck with Mage, a budget control with Priest, or great aggro with warrior/hunter/warlock.

Thanks, will give this a shot!

Make an aggro deck. Zoo (variationf of warlock aggro) or Hunter decks are great budget decks, along with Rogue. The problem is people try to make control decks when they don't have any of the good control cards, though you could probably make a budget control priest too. I think Warrior/Pally/Druid suffer the most from not having the right cards (in a control deck). You can make a great budget mid-range deck with Mage, a budget control with Priest, or great aggro with warrior/hunter/warlock.

Zoo warlock deck is just a board control deck with a low mana curve.

mhs004

Started playing this three days ago and can't stop playing. Never played WoW either. I'm just having so much easy fun.

I don't see leeroy as being a legendary used for all classes. I don't use him in druid since his role is filled by force of nature more often than not.

He is best in combo decks like rogue/shaman/hunter but still pretty good for reach in other decks, but perhaps not the most optimal tbh. The +2 damage over the normal mana curve for charge isn't that killer that you cannot use a wolfrider or arcane golem in its place for less liability.

ShinNL

Getting sick of hunters -> make a Paladin deck with only taunts + heals.

So far faced: Giants Priests, Giants Paladin.

This game...

Edit: 3rd game, Giants Warlock. FML, instant concede, don't even wanna bother with this nonsense.

4th game, Priest, instant concede on card selection.

5th game, finally a freaking Hunter.

Result: Hell yeah, I won! Feels gooooood to own those stupid to the face Hunters! This deck sucks against all other decks but damn was it worth ruin a Hunter's day. Oh yeah, this player is gonna lose against every matchup just to ruin the day of every Hunter from now on until they nerf UTH.

Minsc

Gold Member
Druid Taunt decks do pretty well, whole bunch of big huge creatures (don't even bother at all with 1,2, or 3 cost creatures), 3/5 taunt, 4/6 taunt, 8/8 taunt, 5/10 taunt, etc. Throw in 1 or 2 of the 8-life heals, all the damage spells you have, a bunch of the wild growth/gain 2 mana cystals or draw 3 cards, and a few end game legendaries (rag, ysera, etc), and you should almost never lose to hunter UTH.

Druid Taunt decks do pretty well, whole bunch of big huge creatures (don't even bother at all with 1,2, or 3 cost creatures), 3/5 taunt, 4/6 taunt, 8/8 taunt, 5/10 taunt, etc. Throw in 1 or 2 of the 8-life heals, all the damage spells you have, a bunch of the wild growth/gain 2 mana cystals or draw 3 cards, and a few end game legendaries (rag, ysera, etc), and you should almost never lose to hunter UTH.

Sounds a bit like standard druid control :)

Although I feel like early board presence beats hunters the most. You need to play around a few cards like multishot as best as possible though. Then only drop beefier minions that cannot be cleared by UTH/wolf combo easily.

ShinNL

Yeah, I think the key thing here is heal. Most of my decks run some taunts already, but it's that in combination with healing that makes it work. I hope they add more neutral Hero-only healing because it's really needed in this meta (other player is basically only paying super inefficient cards, with it only being effective because there's only 30 active heath). I wonder why Priestess of Elune is so crap for it's cost though.

Sounds a bit like standard druid control :)

Although I feel like early board presence beats hunters the most. You need to play around a few cards like multishot as best as possible though. Then only drop beefier minions that cannot be cleared by UTH/wolf combo easily.
How early? This is what I don't get. Super early then you have 2/1 drops and stuff like that, which suck because you'll just get UTH'd. 3/2 trade inefficiently vs 2/1 and 3/1 chargers. Yeti then? But that's not early.. and a perfect Deadly Shot / Hunter's mark target. And still inefficient with trading because you're still getting damage.

If you play taunts, the Hunter can answer that with an owl, hunter's mark, kill command or explosive shot (last one is somewhat rare).

As for dropping beefier minions that cannot be cleared: hahaha. Like the Hunter is gonna bother clearing... -_- face face face all day.

And people said ragnaros would be too good vs druid now that tinkmaster is out of the picture

ragboard.png

I never relied on that card in the first place :D

His rag ended up hitting thalnos with rag, which was a shame since I pulled a swipe the next turn. But between swipe and savage roar, I cleared his taunt wall (he played like sunfury protector and DOA thinking he'd be safe... lol nope). Then he conceded the round I was going to finish him off.

edit:

Also, like 3 of my matches today had ragnaros. I lost once vs paladin. Beat a shaman with him and that priest. The paladin was just too far ahead and kept hitting face with his rag, in other words pretty good luck for him. And I could have won at any time if I pulled force of nature... in hindsight I probably should have savage roar'd earlier if I had the opportunity to. I forget the details.

scy

Multishot? I honestly have no idea what Hunter decks you guys must be facing then :x

My experience with them as Control Warrior is basically Charge-heavy Hunters which you just play card negative / Health positive against (e.g., Slam to kill a random charger for no draw, Hero Power + Shield Slam to kill a Leper Gnome) or the Trap heavy Hunter where I stall out and net as much card advantage as I can with a limited board (e.g., suicide stuff into Explosive Trap procs to remove a minion but have Armorsmith / Acolyte played to gain +2 HP / +1 card, keep my board to 1 minion as often as possible). A lot of the former comes down to how much Health I can keep up before I force them to an empty hand while the latter is can I sneak damage in early enough to rely on Ragnaros / Grommash to pull the win out in 2-3 turns late game.

Of course, I'm playing what's probably the most expensive deck in the format (+3200 Dust if I added Sylvanas and Geddon to it) so pay2win scrub I guess.

ShinNL

Multishot? I honestly have no idea what Hunter decks you guys must be facing then :x

My experience with them as Control Warrior is basically Charge-heavy Hunters which you just play card negative / Health positive against (e.g., Slam to kill a random charger for no draw, Hero Power + Shield Slam to kill a Leper Gnome) or the Trap heavy Hunter where I stall out and net as much card advantage as I can with a limited board (e.g., suicide stuff into Explosive Trap procs to remove a minion but have Armorsmith / Acolyte played to gain +2 HP / +1 card, keep my board to 1 minion as often as possible). A lot of the former comes down to how much Health I can keep up before I force them to an empty hand while the latter is can I sneak damage in early enough to rely on Ragnaros / Grommash to pull the win out in 2-3 turns late game.

Of course, I'm playing what's probably the most expensive deck in the format (+3200 Dust if I added Sylvanas and Geddon to it) so pay2win scrub I guess.
Warrior's ability is a straight counter to the Hunter's one. That's not actually a tactic, it's just one of the classes. The other 7 classes doesn't have it so easy.

Well if you're facing a face rush hunter, then you probably don't have to worry about multishot :p

But if it is a more midrange deck, multishot can pretty much win the game if it takes out 2 minions.

I've seen more midrange decks than face rush decks pretty much ever since UTH got buffed. So I worry about a high value multishot on turn 4 but then almost forget about it a turn or two after.

How early? This is what I don't get. Super early then you have 2/1 drops and stuff like that, which suck because you'll just get UTH'd. 3/2 trade inefficiently vs 2/1 and 3/1 chargers. Yeti then? But that's not early.. and a perfect Deadly Shot / Hunter's mark target. And still inefficient with trading because you're still getting damage.

If you play taunts, the Hunter can answer that with an owl, hunter's mark, kill command or explosive shot (last one is somewhat rare).

As for dropping beefier minions that cannot be cleared: hahaha. Like the Hunter is gonna bother clearing... -_- face face face all day.

Well, generally speaking you don't have to worry about trading efficiently. It really depends on your hand or deck at that moment. Your goal is to basically stall by putting board pressure into making them trade for your minions instead of hitting your face each turn and then punishing them for it if they don't trade.

When I say early I am talking about turns 1-4. I try to drop as many minions as possible. These mainly consist of harvest golems, si7 agents, and yetis. The other small drop I have in my deck is loot hoarder which is a decent turn 2 drop, but afterwards is a liability because of UTH. Still I probably will play that anyway to get maximum mana efficiency earlier than turn 5.

Turn 5 is the first turn they can do their best combo, assuming they have all 3 cards which is not likely but still possible. Buzzard + wolf + uth.

What I mainly try to accomplish is a scenario where they don't get maximum value out of UTH. I'll even backstab my own loothoarder to do this. I try to kill off my own minions in trades rather than try to get bigger value out of a bigger minion like the yeti so that they cannot clear my board easily with UTH. So lets say I have a 4/5 and a 2/3 and they have a 3/1. Instead of using something like shiv or the 4/5 to kill the 3/1, I'll use the 2/3 to kill it off. This reduces the value of UTH imo, not only because there is 1 less hound to deal with, but because 1 hound will not kill my yeti when buffed with the wolf's +1 attack.

It really comes down to a numbers game with UTH. I worry least about it in the early rounds because that is when it has the least amount of impact (can't buzzard + wolf + uth til turn 5). And I worry about it least when I am nearing lethal on my opponent. "Worry" may be misleading. But essentially based on the cards they play I assume they have at least one UTH + wolf. I try to get my board in shape to get lethal within a turn or 2, just from the board, while keeping myself out of lethal range (calculating the potential UTH damage). It can be tough if they haven't played a single UTH or wolf yet, but if that is the case I am probably far up in HP anyway. Usually I'll have a DOA or senjin (depending on the deck) so I don't have to worry about being finished off by UTH.

I'm probably explaining myself poorly after all. I think it is all about finding that right "safe zone" where UTH doesn't completely wreck you. That safe zone is a moving target based on your hp, his hp, board state, and your hand and how many cards he has.

Just started this weekend. Perfect game to play on laptop while watching the news. It's my first ever card game so I'm still learning all the lingo about control decks etc.

Haven't spend a cent yet so I'm currently levelling up my classes. I like the Shaman, my strategy with him is spam murlocs and raid leaders, then buff with battlecry and go full ham. Then a mage comes along and firestorms them all :(

If I don't spend any money, the only way to get gold is to complete quests, is that right?

If I don't spend any money, the only way to get gold is to complete quests, is that right?

Well you also earn 10 gold every 3 wins, they don't have to be consecutive wins either.

The best way to earn gold is to play arena well. First learn the game basics very well. Then learn how to play arena very well which is done mostly by first learning how to draft well.

After you become good at arena, you can do arena infinitely since you will earn more gold than you spend to join (also helps doing dailies in case you have a bad run or two). Save up all the gold and just keep doing arenas and opening the free packs you get.

scy

Warrior's ability is a straight counter to the Hunter's one. That's not actually a tactic, it's just one of the classes. The other 7 classes doesn't have it so easy.

Never said anything about the other classes. That's why I specified the match-up I'm most familiar with. One of the reasons I'm running so much Warrior is due to how I think it fares against every single aggro variant.

Though, the match-up isn't as cut-and-dry as "hero power stops their hero power, hooray." It is what lets you stall though you still need to play around their drops in the best possible way. Most the early game drops I have are pretty much perfectly suited to deal with most the early game threats in this match-up.

Well if you're facing a face rush hunter, then you probably don't have to worry about multishot :p

But if it is a more midrange deck, multishot can pretty much win the game if it takes out 2 minions.

I've seen more midrange decks than face rush decks pretty much ever since UTH got buffed. So I worry about a high value multishot on turn 4 but then almost forget about it a turn or two after.

I don't even think there's all that many pure rush-to-the-face Hunter variants around anymore. They're more a Combo Aggro deck that seeks to end the game in the middle turns when they can get their full combo online. Really, if anything, it's a lot like Miracle Rogue except with earlier drops to make up for their lower damage combo.

But ... even the actual midrange or anti-Control Hunters I've seen don't use Multishot. Granted, I rarely give Multishot opportunities but I don't think I've seen it a single time.

Aylinato

Ok. What hero/type of deck does everyone think I should use?

I feel like I change decks every day almost lol.

::edit:: I probably should have kept my deck that got me into the 10 rank range before I raged from seeing every legendary

I don't even think there's all that many pure rush-to-the-face Hunter variants around anymore. They're more a Combo Aggro deck that seeks to end the game in the middle turns when they can get their full combo online. Really, if anything, it's a lot like Miracle Rogue except with earlier drops to make up for their lower damage combo.

But ... even the actual midrange or anti-Control Hunters I've seen don't use Multishot. Granted, I rarely give Multishot opportunities but I don't think I've seen it a single time.

Yeah pretty much. I think midrange is going growing in popularity though. I consider highmane a pretty midrange card. The tundra rhino as well. I think multishot fits into that deck pretty well, I used to run it some before the UTH buff so I'd imagine it is much stronger now. Multishot also really sets up well for trap usage.

The bow/trap/uth/charge decks are probably the most common atm though.

Neki

man I played a warrior control that just ran me into the ground with legendaries, I was so sad to lose to that. He played Rag, into Baron Geddon, into Leeroy into Grommash, into Deathwing, into Alexstraza. The sad thing was I was one damage way from lethal before he killed me. I basically secured the game when he had one card in hand, and then he played Deathwing (which I rarely see in warrior control) and then I had already used my BGH against his Grommash. Maybe I should just run two big game hunters, just to beat handlock and warrior control! :p

oh well, I suppose that's how control vs control usually plays out.

Xater

Watched the pre match interview of this IEM thing and turned it off. So awful.

The Seatstory Cup was way better.

RPGCrazied

Got to rank 23, really loving this rogue deck. Have yet to get a legendary card though. I'm not spending a dime, so that might be why its taking so long.

That feel of turning around a match.

Me : 1 hp Sunfury Protector (3/4) out. and Sword of Justice equipped.
Rogue: 25 hp, Cobra, Jungle Panther, and perdition's blade.

Remember rogue's don't burn all your spells on early trash!

That feel of turning around a match.

Me : 1 hp Sunfury Protector (3/4) out. and Sword of Justice equipped.
Rogue: 25 hp, Cobra, Jungle Panther, and perdition's blade.

Remember rogue's don't burn all your spells on early trash!

It is like people don't even think about defender of argus or sunfury protector being capable of turning a match in an instant. Although sometimes, rarely, this happens even if you prepare for it. Maybe he was hoping he'd top deck a si7 agent, or several other ways he could have finished you off... He probably did dig himself into the hole though.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
zzz... I've ended up facing so many people in a row now that keeps on running out the timer with practically all of their moves. Getting real tired of it.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Double stormwind angry chicken, this normal game just got interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom