• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miletius

Thoughtstole Edwin Van Cleef from a rouge just now. Kind of a weird match overall. I didn't really have the low cost cards to use him so I just plunked him down as a 6/6 early, which between that and the Twilight Drake I had on board gave him a lot of trouble early on.

By the time he had the stuff to make VC a 12/12 he was done for, though, thankfully.

ShinNL

Unbound Elemental, Spirit Wolf, Spirit Wolf, Totem

Time for Mind Control Tech! -> steals useless totem.

Then he gets Spell Damage Totem, Lightning Storm.

Fine.

Then the exact same thing happens 2 turns later.

This RNG is so bad it's amazing.

Edit: 2 Hex in the first 11 cards, one of them being in the first 4 cards after I innervate innervate Hogger out. Right RNG.... right.

llamarawk

I would like to hear your reasoning for this being op. And please don't bring up synergies as those generally are never taken into consideration for a single card being op.

My bad for the delayed response and after thinking about it I agree with you. However, I will present where I was coming from just for the sake of why I value the card so much:

3/3 for 4 is bad and 2/2 weapon isnt even fiery axe, but its usually a 3/3 with a removal this and next turn on turn 3 or 4. 3/3 is also good enough value at 3 cost so the 2/2 weapon could be argued as 1-1.5 mana cost which i would say is good value if you break it down like that into 1 card. Slime and Jones are also barely run in constructed and would be better saved for Reaper or Gorehowl.

After thinking about it, I don't think nerfing the minion body or weapon would make the card viable at all. I just think the card has a lot of value in the early-mid game.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I'm not sure if I've ever played turn 5 earth ele. Maybe once out of sheer desperation. It's asking to get fucked then you're screwed for like the rest of the game because your next turn is nothing.

But yeah if you can't kill it then it's good.

Aylinato

I had a Druid the other day use the strangest deck. It was basically getting us to both draw all our cards.

So think about it,
2 naturalize is 4 cards
2 murloc is 4
4 returns means another 8 cards.
16 cards gone through. I did lose but it was fun

ShinNL

I partially regret having chosen Druid as one of my mass disenchant classes. My half Druid is doing so well against Hunters. The deck would be so much stronger with the 2 Ancient of Lores I had and both Druid of the Claws. Druid is probably the best counter to Hunters, rather than having the excuse of "I don't run much into Hunters so I don't need to do anything special".

And apparently it's an overall consensus that Shaman's worst matchup is Hunter, no wonder I hate them so much.

Edit1: Shitting so hard on Hunters right now with double Farseer double Healing Touch.

Edit2: lol, swinging a bit with wins and losses, but it's mostly Hunters now that give me stars, even a win streak now all from Hunters. Suck it cheesy bastards :D You can see them thinking hard once I start popping taunts and heals.

CoolOff

I've really come to enjoy Warlock in Arena. If you have a few heals, the removal-options are so awesome. People don't seem to calculate for Hellfire either. The do play around Mortal Coil, but Hellfire + Soulfire is quite an arsenal.

snack

Cards like tracking block up the entire screen not allowing me to see what's on the field. I find this a little annoying as I want to double check what is on the field so I can choose which one of the three cards I'll pick. I was thinking it would be great if Blizzard could make the three card selections transparent until the player hovers over the card. What do you guys think?

I just 30-0'd a shaman who used ragnaros with my basic mage deck. And ragnaros even managed to rando remove my minion guaranteeing him a 2-1 out of the card. His lightning storm hit all 3s on targets it needed to. He even got a taunt at the exact moment at the beginning of the game to give him a nice stall and time to deal with my threat. So much luck yet lost to a 95% basic deck :D

Thoughtstole Edwin Van Cleef from a rouge just now. Kind of a weird match overall. I didn't really have the low cost cards to use him so I just plunked him down as a 6/6 early, which between that and the Twilight Drake I had on board gave him a lot of trouble early on.

By the time he had the stuff to make VC a 12/12 he was done for, though, thankfully.

With VC, you go for the early medium sized play much more often than the 12/12 play. He is just too vulnerable for silence/removal to waste going for a big play.

Cards like tracking block up the entire screen not allowing me to see what's on the field. I find this a little annoying as I want to double check what is on the field so I can choose which one of the three cards I'll pick. I was thinking it would be great if Blizzard could make the three card selections transparent until the player hovers over the card. What do you guys think?

This is definitely a problem I've run into before--seems like a simple UI tweak would fix it.

Griss

Only just started a couple of days ago. My thoughts?

First of all, loved Warcraft 1 and 2, they lost me with 3, but vanilla WoW was one of the greatest games I ever played. Been gone from Blizzard until the hugely disappointing Diablo 3. And I've never played any card-based games before, other than a bit of Pokemon as a teen.

But this is a hell of a game. So easy to pick up and play, so tactile, so polished. Only takes an hour or so before you see all the types of tactical strats that will become available. And they've done an amazing job of really properly representing what each WoW class is like with the basic decks for each hero. As a Warlock, the push and pull of summoning and sacrificing is just fantastic, and your plain-jane mage nukes everything just like a mage should. Those were my classes, so I can't really speak for the others. I love all the options a lock has to get more and more cards in your hands, that's what made that class fun as hell to me.

The way the card collection and deck building is set up is amazing too. Beat all the practice dummies, then moved to Ranked with a custom Warlock deck and won my first five. It was fantastic. The arena was next, and again it has a brilliant risk and reward factor. Just hugely impressed with it all. Until...

The grind. Sorry, but once I hit the treadmill I've had to decide to get off. 10 coins for 3 wins? If you're an average player that means 60 matches until you can buy a pack. That's more than 10 matches per new card. That's ridiculous, and I don't have that kind of time. At the real-money cost per pack there's also no way I'm paying, even if I'd be willing to toss Blizzard 15-20 euro for making such a great game. And to continue having fun I really need some new Warlock cards to make the kind of decks I'd like to.

So in summary:
Wonderful game, had tons of fun, but I'm not willing to invest the kind of time they seem to think I should have to.

Also, of all the classes I've played Mages are the only ones that seem a bit OP. Burst damage with plenty of removal potential. You play tons of low minions and Arcane Explosion and Missiles take them out. You play bigger minions and Polymorph and Fireball will deal with them. You control the board late game and Flamestrike turns the tables. Can't deal with mages at all. The rest I found either balanced or underpowered. I would be interested to hear what the early community thoughts are on the classes, as I deliberately looked at nothing beforehand and during playing the game so I'd have to come up with my own strats.

scy

Mage is probably the weakest class currently, though they do have the best set of Basic cards.

As for the grind ... well, I guess. I've been playing for months now so it's not really a big deal to me since I kind of came in expecting to play a lot of Arena anyway.

Minsc

Gold Member
You aren't supposed to buy packs at 10 gold per 3 wins... you're supposed to pay money, coast off arena, or buy packs at 50 gold per 3 wins (playing for ~3-5 wins per day + daily quest).

What would you say is the best beginner class? Been playing for a day or two and my ass is consistently handed to me by every player I face.

Griss

You aren't supposed to buy packs at 10 gold per 3 wins... you're supposed to pay money, coast off arena, or buy packs at 50 gold per 3 wins (playing for ~3-5 wins per day + daily quest).

1. Pay money
Not interested.

2. Coast off arena
Doesn't arena cost 150 gold to get in, with no guarantee of making it back? Sounds a lot like sending you back to step 1

3. 50 gold per 3 wins + daily quest
Not sure I understand this. I haven't really had any quests that I could see, it kept saying check back tomorrow. And packs cost 100 gold minimum. Unless you're saying that every day for two days you can do a quest and win 3-5 games and get enough gold. If that's the case then I'd agree that that's a lot more palatable. If someone can explain this it might get me to go back.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
2. Coast off arena
Doesn't arena cost 150 gold to get in, with no guarantee of making it back? Sounds a lot like sending you back to step 1
You're guaranteed one pack in Arena. If you're using Arena as a collection tool, then it's effectively 50g for a chance to make that back and more.

scy

3. 50 gold per 3 wins + daily quest
Not sure I understand this. I haven't really had any quests that I could see, it kept saying check back tomorrow. And packs cost 100 gold minimum. Unless you're saying that every day for two days you can do a quest and win 3-5 games and get enough gold. If that's the case then I'd agree that that's a lot more palatable. If someone can explain this it might get me to go back.

You get one daily quest per day that gives you 40, 60, or 100 (super rare) gold for completing. On top of that, there's quite a few Hidden Quests you can do for a large one-time return of gold. Unlocking all the classes (100g), Defeating all the Expert AI (100g), Getting all the classes to Level 10 (100g), and winning 100 total games (300g).

Griss

You're guaranteed one pack in Arena. If you're using Arena as a collection tool, then it's effectively 50g for a chance to make that back and more.

You get one daily quest per day that gives you 40, 60, or 100 (super rare) gold for completing. On top of that, there's quite a few Hidden Quests you can do for a large one-time return of gold. Unlocking all the classes (100g), Defeating all the Expert AI (100g), Getting all the classes to Level 10 (100g), and winning 100 total games (300g).

Thanks guys, I didn't know that stuff.

I did most of the hidden quests already, and that's why I was so used to racking up gold 100 at a time. So when I realised how hard it is to earn it normally I was a little shocked.

If the arena guarantees a pack, though, then that's fair. I only played it once but got 4 wins out of it and it was a lot of fun. I think I ended up with a pack and 80 gold. Not bad.

scy

qI5IHvg.jpg

ffs, 94?

This is what I get for not doing it the first week.

If the arena guarantees a pack, though, then that's fair. I only played it once but got 4 wins out of it and it was a lot of fun. I think I ended up with a pack and 80 gold. Not bad.

Around ~5 wins is where it averages out to the pack + ~50g so you break even. At 7 wins, you get 150g+ back up to ~400g average at 12 wins. So once you get consistently good at it, Arena makes for a fairly fast way to grind gold.

bigkrev

*sigh*

I'm done with Arena till the next patch. I have yet to have a single run since the game went out of beta not get me at least one loss thanks to glitches or other problems. Now, I can't even connect back into the client.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Fuck this game. I strictly remember thinking "Alright that's it, I'll just set up the next arena deck and then head to bed," followed by "or maybe I should just give it a try."

That was two hours ago.

Fuck this game. I strictly remember thinking "Alright that's it, I'll just set up the next arena deck and then head to bed," followed by "or maybe I should just give it a try."

That was two hours ago.

That's exactly it.

Just one more game becomes, just one more win.

Then well, how about until I get to the next rank..

Then, well fuck it, I lost rank, now I need to get back to where I started.

Then, fuck this, I'm on a winning streak..Can't stop now..

I'm curious what ranks most people are in here...I'm a beginner and the highest I've gotten is Rank 16 w/2 stars...Been playing a week, but having a blast..

IllumiNate

Fine.

Edit: 2 Hex in the first 11 cards, one of them being in the first 4 cards after I innervate innervate Hogger out. Right RNG.... right.

RNG? He just drew better cards then you. He got lucky is all.

Tarazet

What would you say is the best beginner class? Been playing for a day or two and my ass is consistently handed to me by every player I face.

Mage and Hunter have pretty strong basic sets. In fact, the toolkit of Mage rares and epics is pretty dire in comparison with the free/common ones. Arcane Missiles, Frostbolt, Fireball, and Flamestrike are amazing spells.. all free cards. Blizzard and Pyroblast were once great too, but they got destroyed by a nerf sledgehammer. The secrets can be annoying but are not essential to being functional as a Mage.

I just started playing last week and am loving the game. Bought the 50 dollar card pack this weekend and got 6-7 epics and 1 legendary-Ysera.

I'm playing as an aggro Paladin and need Leeroy Jenkins but don't have him.

What's the best way to get one? Should I DE everything (including Ysera) I have to get Leeroy or is there another way? I kind of don't want to lose all my other cards but I don't really enjoy anything else right now other than the pally, but I certainly won't in the future if I have no other cards to play with.

scy

Honestly, I would just play Arena to get more generic experience at playing the game alongside earning gold / packs. Certainly a better option than mass disenchanting everything.

Honestly, I would just play Arena to get more generic experience at playing the game alongside earning gold / packs. Certainly a better option than mass disenchanting everything.

Yeah, I tend to be a sucker for immediate gratification..I'll admit it..

And I kind of suck at arena because I'm playing with classes I don't know...But I've only played twice..got one win each time..

I have 300 gold atm, so I'm assuming two arena runs is recommended...I just hate losing..lol

Arena is fun enough for me that the experience is well worth the "extra" 50 gold you spend over just buying a pack.

Certainly more fun than just playing Constructed all the time.

KeRaSh

Fine.

I always keep a Hex in my hand if I see one at the start because I got burned by double Innervate a few times.
Got Jaraxxus from an Arena pack yesterday and got a golden card from the next arena run. It was a pretty good run.
That's the least the game could give me after ruining my double legendary pick arena draft by disconnecting me (my internet was fine... not a single ping drop) and then bugging out by ending my run at 2-1. I can't believe they still haven't fixed that bug. This bug theoretically cost me real money. I wasted the entry fee and could have gotten at least one more run from it with enough wins, which was pretty much guaranteed with that deck... Still salty about that.

SteveWD40

Arena is fun enough for me that the experience is well worth the "extra" 50 gold you spend over just buying a pack.

Certainly more fun than just playing Constructed all the time.

Yep. I used to just play constructed as I had shitty luck in the arena drafts (I still do actually) but the chance of getting a brokenly good deck and going 12 wins is still more fun than just banging your head against netdecks all the time.

I just started playing last week and am loving the game. Bought the 50 dollar card pack this weekend and got 6-7 epics and 1 legendary-Ysera.

I'm playing as an aggro Paladin and need Leeroy Jenkins but don't have him.

What's the best way to get one? Should I DE everything (including Ysera) I have to get Leeroy or is there another way? I kind of don't want to lose all my other cards but I don't really enjoy anything else right now other than the pally, but I certainly won't in the future if I have no other cards to play with.

Only DE bad cards. Do not DE Ysera as Ysera is one of the best cards in the game.

You may like pally the most now, but later you may even want to play a class that you don't even want to touch atm even if just to mess around.

That said, there are certain neutral (and some class cards like twisting nether) that you can probably safely DE.

Got The Black Knight from an arena pack last night and I've been running him in the reynald deck.

I'm doing terribly but that card does a ton of work. People don't seem to ever expect it.

Should I DE everything (including Ysera) I have to get Leeroy or is there another way? I kind of don't want to lose all my other cards but I don't really enjoy anything else right now other than the pally, but I certainly won't in the future if I have no other cards to play with.

When I started out, I was of a similar mind and went on a disenchanting spree just to get that perfect constructed deck.

I really regret going that route: as I got more experience and started making smarter plays (the most valuable lessons coming from Arena matches) I realised that I had thrown away amazingly powerful combinations because I didn't know any better.

My advice is: treasure your collection and find the value in the cards you have. Resist the greed. :)

KeRaSh

For fucks sake! Tripple Flamestrike + tripple Fireball?
Yeah, Mage is the weakest class right now. Tell me about it...

That's exactly it.

Just one more game becomes, just one more win.

Then well, how about until I get to the next rank..

Then, well fuck it, I lost rank, now I need to get back to where I started.

Then, fuck this, I'm on a winning streak..Can't stop now..

I'm curious what ranks most people are in here...I'm a beginner and the highest I've gotten is Rank 16 w/2 stars...Been playing a week, but having a blast..

I think a lot of people possibly lie about rank since there is no way to see it beyond being friends with them.

Anyway the highest I have made is 8 very briefly, this season I keep getting distracted by arena and have only made it to 14.

Then again I don't play for hours on end every day, just a few games here and there when I have the time.

Got The Black Knight from an arena pack last night and I've been running him in the reynald deck.

I'm doing terribly but that card does a ton of work. People don't seem to ever expect it.

Well, on the whole, how can they? Who knows what legendaries may or may not be pulled out by an opponent.

KeRaSh

God damnit this game. Now the game just sits there at the mulligan phase not giving me new cards. Do I just concede or is there a way to salvage the run? I'm already at 2 losses...

Violet_0

Banned

rank 4 with 5 stars last season exclusively as mage, rank 8 now but I've switched to just playing casual atm since it's way easier to farm dailies and I'm kinda tired of playing against warlocks

Damn Blizzard, why do you always have to do maintenance on Tuesday? It's the day that I have more free time.

IKR, like the last 3 weeks I had time to play on tuesday during maintenance. And today I felt like playing sim city and even those servers are on maintenance. Guess I gotta play some titanfall =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom