• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I feel like the achievement system is very anti-new player. As a newb I want to focus on building one class that I know solidly before moving on, but to get any $$$ I have to be hopping from class to class from the get go. Preventing me from really learning any of them.

Stupid....

In time, you'll realize that this is the best way to learn about the game because there is nothing more educational in card games than to play as and against any given deck/archetype, because only then can you truly appreciate the problem from both sides of the table. Think of this less as impeding your ability to learn a single class and more about exposing you to the game as a whole.

And the time you spend on these initial quests will be a pittance compared how long you'll be playing Hearthstone, assuming you're a typical Hearthstone player.

In time, you'll realize that this is the best way to learn about the game because there is nothing more educational in card games than to play as and against any given deck/archetype, because only then can you truly appreciate the problem from both sides of the table. Think of this less as impeding your ability to learn a single class and more about exposing you to the game as a whole.

And the time you spend on these initial quests will be a pittance compared how long you'll be playing Hearthstone, assuming you're a typical Hearthstone player.

True, but even the path to fully unlocking each character takes a while.

I feel like it is a time sink to unlock the characters, followed by a timesink to do quests, all before I can actually play the fun part of the game (playing the class/style I choose).

Edit: They should at least give you some $$$ for unlocking each class....

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
To those of you who play aggro lock

At what point are you actually competing? Because it seems to me you are taking the competition out of the game and hoping to win based on the opponent not drawing aoe? Im actually serious.

Haly

At what point are you actually competing? Because it seems to me you are taking the competition out of the game and hoping to win based on the opponent not drawing aoe? Im actually serious.

Isn't this how every deck works?

"I play this card hoping/betting that they don't have the counter." Aggro just swings between success and failure harder than midrange or control.

You can turn this around and go the other way with "Where is the competition in control if every move you make is dictated by probability and maximizing numerical card advantage/tempo?"

Minsc

Gold Member
True, but even the path to fully unlocking each character takes a while.

I feel like it is a time sink to unlock the characters, followed by a timesink to do quests, all before I can actually play the fun part of the game (playing the class/style I choose).

Edit: They should at least give you some $$$ for unlocking each class....

Well you could always just treat it like a TCG instead of a F2P game, drop a few hundred (or even much less), and start enjoying all the classes right away.

That or just play arena all the time. Arena is a level playing field (minus experience) so far as card pool, so long time players have no advantage in arena over new players. They do give you daily quests (40-100g per day) and there's a good 600+ gold in achievements to unlock as well.

Ken

thanks reaper of souls preorder!

ibr1Sd8ZV7LBa.png
ibjNdHoBICnGKc.png

Minsc

Gold Member
So, do I DE my second Rag? No chance of a nerf/buff/change soon?

Probably not, but I'd wait for one more patch to hit, give it until around the 2nd week of April if you can.

If there are no balance changes by then, that's probably a good sign there won't be any more for a long, long time.

Tagyhag

I'm a noob but I'm having a ton of fun with the game.

I have a question though: Do my wins in the arena count for my casual matchmaking rank? The only reason I'm doing a lot of arena is because all the talk about the meta here makes it seem like the late matches become stale and frustrating.

Haly

I'm a noob but I'm having a ton of fun with the game.

I have a question though: Do my wins in the arena count for my casual matchmaking rank? The only reason I'm doing a lot of arena is because all the talk about the meta here makes it seem like the late matches become stale and frustrating.

No, casual matchmaking and arena are two separate things, and I don't believe arena has any matchmaking system beyond win/loss (and even that is up for debate).

Tarazet

To those of you who play aggro lock

I played with the Zoo deck today for the quest. It is largely AoE-proof, unless the game goes long enough for Flamestrike. I won 5 in a row, including a Shaman who used Lightning Storm twice and dropped an Earth Elemental. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what is broken about it, though. Maybe Doomguard - you tend to run out of cards at the time that you get to play him, and his stats are truly stupid. He's better than Grommash Hellscream.

As Shaman, it seems like the only way I can beat Handlocks is with mass taunts - Feral Spirit, Argus, and Senjin Shieldamasta. Combo that with Hex, Earth Shock, and some burst from Leeroy/Rockbiter/Windfury and that's about my only hope to win.

scy

Zoo decks basically run a gambit that puts all their hopes and prayers into a few turns. It tries to isolate you to ~1/3rd of your deck vs ~1/2 of theirs.

I can't speak for everyone on deck design philosophy but my take on it is if you're worried about the match-up, start taking a random polling of 10 cards of your deck (and pay attention to sequence) and see how many are relevant to the match-up. One of the reasons that Control Warrior is so great vs most the early game decks is it runs roughly 15-ish early game relevant cards (+a few outlier useful ones like Execute) that are good to see. You're looking at having something relevant in the first few turns around 80%+ of the time.

It's one thing to have plans for the early game (e.g., Watcher + Sunfury) but if you're running combo packages and they make up maybe 6-8 cards of your deck, you can't really count that as enough for the match-up. Not to say you NEED half of your deck to be anti-aggro but it's good to have a good number of cards that you're actively wanting early on so you can give yourself a well-above 50% chance to hit something good. It also works to give you obvious mulligan goals which helps a lot.

Plus, most of those anti-aggro cards are good generically. From a Shaman perspective, for instance, Feral Spirit is just always a good way to put pressure on the board. Having the spot removal stuff like Earth Shock, Lightning Bolt, and Lightning Storm tend to be nice to have as well. In Control Warrior, I'm fine with Armorsmith or Acolyte openers against basically any deck.

As Shaman, it seems like the only way I can beat Handlocks is with mass taunts - Feral Spirit, Argus, and Senjin Shieldamasta. Combo that with Hex, Earth Shock, and some burst from Leeroy/Rockbiter/Windfury and that's about my only hope to win.

Hm. Handlock (and Control Warrior) are the two decks that Shaman is basically best at. Earth Shock stops the Twilight Drake opener and Hex is enough for an early Mountain Giant. Flametongue, Windfury/Al'Akir and all the spells let you get them to 16-18 Health (or whatever their current Mana +3 is so they can't Molten + Sunfury unless you have a way to bypass one taunt) and burst them down in a single turn.

Tagyhag

No, casual matchmaking and arena are two separate things, and I don't believe arena has any matchmaking system beyond win/loss (and even that is up for debate).
Awesome, I'm having a lot more fun with deck building than matchmaking to be honest. When I played Magic, I used to do the same thing.

This will be my first season.

It says if you get to rank 20 you get "this season's card."

What type of card is a season card? What have they been in the past?

I actually watched all of this. Good video. I am missing the epics and leeroy though.

Glad you liked it! I liked the basic stuff he covered..Helped a lot. Leeroy can be swapped for an argent commander, or that charge 5/2 common card..I can't remember the name now..Or really any card of similar value that does immediate damage...Even a Harvest Golem would be an okay substitute...Just ok, not ideal.

I can't remember which cards are epic, but Leeroy doesn't need to be there..He's just a decent one play, lower value, guaranteed dmg card that works very well in this build..But it's streaky...Or I'm streaky...Like I lose 7 in a row, then win 5 in a row..I don't feel like I'm doing anything different...But typically the games are close or I blow them out...Or lose when I get overwhelmed by taunting characters...Guess that's the life of not being a druid, shaman, or hunter.

chronosic

This will be my first season.

It says if you get to rank 20 you get "this season's card."

What type of card is a season card? What have they been in the past?
I think it's "card back". So you can customize what the backs of your cards look like. I'm still pretty new myself , so I have no clue really what it will look like. Different colours though I imagine.

I think it's "card back". So you can customize what the backs of your cards look like. I'm still pretty new myself , so I have no clue really what it will look like. Different colours though I imagine.

Thanks but that's disappointing..I was hoping for a free Legendary...lol

Neki

High level constructed play:
Turn 1, he passes (Warlock)
Turn 2, I play Argent Squire
Turn 3, he plays Murloc Tide Hunter (2/1 + 1/1)
Turn 4, I coin out Unbound Elemental and clear his 2/1
Turn 5, he plays Murloc Warleader and clears my squire
Turn 6, I play Feral Spirits and clear his Warleader
Turn 7, he concedes.

best game ever.

SteveWD40

High level constructed play:
Turn 1, he passes (Warlock)
Turn 2, I play Argent Squire
Turn 3, he plays Murloc Tide Hunter (2/1 + 1/1)
Turn 4, I coin out Unbound Elemental and clear his 2/1
Turn 5, he plays Murloc Warleader and clears my squire
Turn 6, I play Feral Spirits and clear his Warleader
Turn 7, he concedes.

best game ever.

Netdeckers fold like a laundry the minute things don't go their way. No experience of fighting back from a shit situation or learning multiple strategys, just "waah no ez win i quit".

Card Boy

Banned
The best victories are those when the opponent concedes on the first shot, has happened to me like 3 times. I was like WTF? Awesome!

Haly

Netdeckers fold like a laundry the minute things don't go their way. No experience of fighting back from a shit situation or learning multiple strategys, just "waah no ez win i quit".

There are very few circumstances where a Murloc deck can come back after an empty board, on turn 4, with no damage dealt, against a 3/5 and two 2/3s with taunt. It just doesn't make sense to continue a hopeless game on the off chance that the other player's draws are so bad that the Warlock can recover from a 2 card, and 8 mana deficit, with one fewer trump card (the Warleader). And even if they do, what have they learned? That, with sufficient luck, a Murloc deck can come back from a nearly insurmountable advantage? Or that, on the off chance Neki had disconnected, that it's possible to be win by just hoping their opponent drops? Wow, what great and invaluable lessons.

Most people on the ladder aren't looking to practice for some tournament or out of a general desire for self improvement, they're looking to achieve some an arbitrary ranking. It makes perfect sense to maximize time spent vs progress made toward that goal. Especially with the current Season coming to a close.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
The best victories are those when the opponent concedes on the first shot, has happened to me like 3 times. I was like WTF? Awesome!
Nah the best victories are with Mage on turn 8 with 2 Fireballs in hand when the opponent has 12 HP after attacking with all my minions!

Worst defeats are when lethal is coming your way trough a legendary and you don't play your card drawing creeps first and you end up drawing a way to sheep but with an empty mana pool. Dumb Mistouze.

Haly

The dream of Coined Mad Bomber taking out a turn 1 Argent Squire.

What can Hearthstone give us if not dreams???

SteveWD40

There are very few circumstances where a Murloc deck can come back after an empty board, on turn 4, with no damage dealt, against a 3/5 and two 2/3s with taunt. It just doesn't make sense to continue a hopeless game on the off chance that the other player's draws are so bad that the Warlock can recover from a 2 card, and 8 mana deficit, with one fewer trump card (the Warleader). And even if they do, what have they learned? That, with sufficient luck, a Murloc deck can come back from a nearly insurmountable advantage? Or that, on the off chance Neki had disconnected, that it's possible to be win by just hoping their opponent drops? Wow, what great and invaluable lessons.

Most people on the ladder aren't looking to practice for some tournament or out of a general desire for self improvement, they're looking to achieve some an arbitrary ranking. It makes perfect sense to maximize time spent vs progress made toward that goal. Especially with the current Season coming to a close.

Maybe I am tainted by my hatred for rushdown decks. There never seems to be any strategy / fight for board control / back and forth, it's just "rawrgofortheface" and the second you stall them or get any kind of comeback they just ragequit.

On top of that, most people I have seen play them love to span emotes when they do get the lethal on turn 5...

This Arena deck is insane:

I've won all but 2 matches within 8 turns. It just seems like I have an answer for everything my opponent plays. Between the buffs from the SSC/DID/DoA and then 3x Arcanite Reapers, I basically can clear their board every turn while beating them down slowly. By late game, I get more or less a free 7+ damage from the 2x Assassins and that's that. I'm just sad this is on my European account and I never record my European matches for uploading later. :(

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Glad you liked it! I liked the basic stuff he covered..Helped a lot. Leeroy can be swapped for an argent commander, or that charge 5/2 common card..I can't remember the name now..Or really any card of similar value that does immediate damage...Even a Harvest Golem would be an okay substitute...Just ok, not ideal.

I can't remember which cards are epic, but Leeroy doesn't need to be there..He's just a decent one play, lower value, guaranteed dmg card that works very well in this build..But it's streaky...Or I'm streaky...Like I lose 7 in a row, then win 5 in a row..I don't feel like I'm doing anything different...But typically the games are close or I blow them out...Or lose when I get overwhelmed by taunting characters...Guess that's the life of not being a druid, shaman, or hunter.

I watched the video, looks like a neat deck. I did the math though, I would need 1520 dust to make the cards I need to build that deck, and that's not including Leeroy who is 1600 all by himself. So yeah, that deck is a bit out of my reach, hah.

so what deck should i make to climb the ladder real quick in a post-tink nerf world before the season ends

probably just a fast deck so even if you lose the game will be over quickly. zoo worlock, rush warrior and hunter all get me from 25 to 15 in a hurry.

i don't like playing those types of decks so i usually get bored and switch to something slower.

Aylinato

So I faced Scy on 1v1 and he beat me down. I did have lethal one game and misplayed :(

Then I faced EJ and we had a lot of fun too.

Who else wants to face me? :)

Getting a golden faceless made up for the shitty 1-3 arena run I had. Got disconnected midway through my second loss though which sucked.

scy

Golden Faceless is so much possible value. It's a Golden anything!

Maybe I am tainted by my hatred for rushdown decks. There never seems to be any strategy / fight for board control / back and forth, it's just "rawrgofortheface" and the second you stall them or get any kind of comeback they just ragequit.

On top of that, most people I have seen play them love to span emotes when they do get the lethal on turn 5...

I'm sorry that all your opponents are dicks.

So I faced Scy on 1v1 and he beat me down. I did have lethal one game and misplayed :(

I'm reminded that I really like Handlock and should probably play it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom