• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
still say golden jaraxxus is the gold mine (pun intended).

golden hero? check.
golden ability? check.
golden minions? check.
golden hero weapon? check.

all for 3200 gold (roughly $72 in dust)

Aylinato

I love priest and Druid the most.

Priest is when I want to play mind games(still missing cards)
Cards I need for shadow/mind games would be the take over a creature forever card(the 6 mana priest one)
Faceless
The turn the hero power into damage permanently cards(yes I'd use two to get to 3)
Velen to combo with the hero power

FStop7

Banned
I watched like 8 hours of Trump's F2P Shaman streams over the weekend. O_O

I haven't touched Titanfall since the day it came out.

I find myself humming songs from the game to myself.

I introduce myself to strangers by saying "WELL MET" in a manly voice.

FSTOP7 IS... SORRY!

Aylinato

I watched him from rank 25 to rank 8. I'm unsure of where he is today. I even saw him rage the other day around rank 22 when he lost twice in a row.

I also found another stream of some dude who plays dayZ and is hilarious and shots people in the leg and leaves then to die.

FStop7

Banned
I'm trying to work my way up the rankings with a babby mode Hunter aggro deck. I'd been stalled between 18 and 17 with Priest. After switching to Hunter I'm at 16 pushing toward 15. Winning around 70% of my games right now. I have no idea what ranking you have to be before you're considered "competent" or "good" at Hearthstone, but I feel like I'm making fewer and fewer mistakes and I'm getting better and better at anticipating my opponents' plays.

You can really ruin someone's day with the Leeroy+dogs combo. Or Leeroy + dogs + snakes that show up when the other guy tries to take out Leeroy.

snack

I'm trying to work my way up the rankings with a babby mode Hunter aggro deck. I'd been stalled between 18 and 17 with Priest. After switching to Hunter I'm at 16 pushing toward 15. Winning around 70% of my games right now. I have no idea what ranking you have to be before you're considered "competent" or "good" at Hearthstone, but I feel like I'm making fewer and fewer mistakes and I'm getting better and better at anticipating my opponents' plays.

You can really ruin someone's day with the Leeroy+dogs combo. Or Leeroy + dogs + snakes that show up when the other guy tries to take out Leeroy.

I crafted Leeroy this weekend and added him to my Hunter deck. Verdict: I am in love.

LEEEERROYYYYYY JENKKIIINNSSSS

Minsc

Gold Member

I'm curious for someone to list the classes + combos Leeroy works particularly well with, so far we have:

Shaman (6-32 damage): Leeroy + Windfury / Rockbiter Weapon / Flametongue Totem
Rogue (6-26 damage): Leeroy + Shadowstep / Cold Blood
Hunter (6-20 damage): Leeroy + Unleash the Hounds / Timber Wolf
Warlock (6-14 damage + board clear): Leeroy + Power Overwhelming / Shadow Flame

I'm sure I'm missing a few more combos with him for the other classes.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so I've determined that the official forums are not only useless, but an utter abomination of whining and crying for nerfs.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
so I've determined that the official forums are not only useless, but an utter abomination of whining and crying for nerfs.

Myself in the OP said:
Official Forums - A veritable nest of QQ and cries for nerf, just like your WoW days!

Aylinato

shot fired

I think it's fairly normal, really. It just gets exponentially worse with more and more people. At small numbers, it's just kind of expected talk really.

I think the only serious complaint I've ever had is the colossus from SC2, because it's a bad unit design that forced a certain play style no matter what you want to do.

Hearthstone pretty fun because of all the different metas that are going on

I'm trying to think of something that would cause someone to call for a nerf. I guess unleash the hounds is probably a common one. but I think it's probably fine.

ice block may be problematic in the future when they add new cards.

scy

The only thing I want fixed is the ladder system. I shouldn't need a 70% winrate to stay even in Legendary. One loss shouldn't wipe out around two wins in terms of MMR. I know the Legendary number means nothing but my 10 game win streak was nearly wiped out by two losses :/

One bad day of Ranked dropped me from nearly top-10 to ~200 and now I'm struggling to get back to 100 :(

I'd like it if you could mulligan a certain amount of rounds in an arena draft. and maybe have the number fluctuate based on how well a given class is doing in the arena. hopefully that way it won't be all mages after 7 wins.

snack

The only thing I want fixed is the ladder system. I shouldn't need a 70% winrate to stay even in Legendary. One loss shouldn't wipe out two wins in terms of MMR. I know the Legendary number means nothing but my 10 game win streak was nearly wiped out by two losses :/

One bad day of Ranked dropped me from nearly top-10 to ~200 and now I'm struggling to get back to 100 :(

I'm guessing if Blizz made it so one can go in and out of Legendary, then what you're saying is a viable option.

your legendary rank should also decay rapidly if you're not playing. seems like a lot of people just sit on a good rank because of how easy it is to fall out of the top 100.

Minsc

Gold Member
The only thing I want fixed is the ladder system. I shouldn't need a 70% winrate to stay even in Legendary. One loss shouldn't wipe out around two wins in terms of MMR. I know the Legendary number means nothing but my 10 game win streak was nearly wiped out by two losses :/

Maybe disregard losses entirely for scoring when in legendary. That would also solve the idling issue as well (as sitting there would have absolutely no benefit at all). Just sort the legendary players by total number of wins after reaching legendary rank.

Special C

I'd like it if you could mulligan a certain amount of rounds in an arena draft. and maybe have the number fluctuate based on how well a given class is doing in the arena. hopefully that way it won't be all mages after 7 wins.

I just think arena should be a random class. No choice. Or maybe cycle through all classes for each given player.

scy

I'm just being salty, I guess. With more incentive to actually play, the huge swings might not be as prevalent. I dunno. Would need to see some of the behind-the-scenes numbers to figure it out.

Also, I just had a game start and then instantly we both lose.

-2 Ranks.

...uh, k.

snack

Do reconnects work for anyone? Just got disconnected but I didn't even have the option to connect back to the game after restarting Hearthstone.

I'm curious for someone to list the classes + combos Leeroy works particularly well with, so far we have:

Shaman (6-32 damage): Leeroy + Windfury / Rockbiter Weapon / Flametongue Totem
Rogue (6-26 damage): Leeroy + Shadowstep / Cold Blood
Hunter (6-20 damage): Leeroy + Unleash the Hounds / Timber Wolf
Warlock (6-14 damage + board clear): Leeroy + Power Overwhelming / Shadow Flame

I'm sure I'm missing a few more combos with him for the other classes.

In Arena as any class you can deal 23 with Leeroy. Get 6 Raid Leaders (or Stormwind Champions, or a combination of the two) on the board. Play Leeroy and attack for 12, then play a Youthful Brewmaster on Leeroy, then attack with one of your Raid Leaders (having it die by running it into an opposing minion to clear space for Leeroy) then re-play Leeroy for another 11 damage. It will take 10 mana and 8 cards, but yep, that's 23 damage.

My biggest complaint with the game is Arena. It's actually quite fun, but they need a more robust drafting mode, and they need to rebalance the Mage common class cards (via rarity, not nerfing).

I would love a draft mode that actually involves other people and opening packs. It won't be as relaxed and will involve a timer, but they should add something like that. And it would be a huge money-maker to boot.

scy

zREYdqD.jpg

Maybe I'm done for the day.

Started game at 270, won the game and went down to 278.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your topdicks ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Interfectum

Hearthstone is fun as hell to watch on Twitch and it gives you good ideas about what to play when, what cards really work will together etc. But goddamn if that chat bar doesn't stick in your brain... trying to go to sleep at night i just see an endless stream of snark and smilies.

I'm going to wake up in a corner one day wobbling back and forth repeating 'Kappa = Gray Face (no space)' until I'm locked away forever.

Gotchaye

I decided to give this a shot while I wait for the D3 expansion to come out. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. Basically all of my gold should be going towards the Arena, right, since that works out to be a better deal than buying packs? Am I missing some other use for gold besides just buying packs by themselves?

And I also really like how the Arena matches are even insofar as my two level 10 characters and maybe four packs' worth of cards aren't a handicap.

Hearthstone is fun as hell to watch on Twitch and it gives you good ideas about what to play when, what cards really work will together etc. But goddamn if that chat bar doesn't stick in your brain... trying to go to sleep at night i just see an endless stream of snark and smilies.

I'm going to wake up in a corner one day wobbling back and forth repeating 'Kappa = Gray Face (no space)' until I'm locked away forever.

I spent an unfortunate amount of time watching Trump play over the weekend, but I feel a lot more knowledgeable about my own play as a result. Starting to get back into the groove again.

jinutsu

Neo Member
I decided to give this a shot while I wait for the D3 expansion to come out. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. Basically all of my gold should be going towards the Arena, right, since that works out to be a better deal than buying packs? Am I missing some other use for gold besides just buying packs by themselves?

And I also really like how the Arena matches are even insofar as my two level 10 characters and maybe four packs' worth of cards aren't a handicap.

Yes, Arena is the best value as long as you can manage to get at least 3-5 wins. Getting more than 7 wins is usually the "break even" point where you get about 150g from your rewards.

Yes, gold has no purpose except to buy packs at 100 g each or to buy entry to Arena at 150 g each. You are guaranteed to get a pack back even if you win zero games in Arena, so worst case scenario is you end up down 50 g per Arena run if you go 0-3 (although you can still get some Arcane Dust or gold even from a zero win run).

So, basically, yes, Arena is almost always worthwhile in terms of gold spent.

Minsc

Gold Member
Maybe I'm done for the day.

Started game at 270, won the game and went down to 278.

I just won a Warrior vs Warrior match and was awarded a loss. I had two Frothing Berserkers, and he had 1, I cast whirlwind, a minute later I had a few 15/3 guys, run one of them in to him, the game ends and it comes up with a message that I can't lose any more stars at my current rank (which is rank 11, so that makes no sense), and I don't get a win counted for my daily quest either.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Yes, Arena is the best value as long as you can manage to get at least 3-5 wins. Getting more than 7 wins is usually the "break even" point where you get about 150g from your rewards.

7 gets you 150 gold plus a pack

~3 is where you break even in terms of rewards plus the pack cost being worth the 150 you put in

scy

I just won a Warrior vs Warrior match and was awarded a loss. I had two Frothing Berserkers, and he had 1, I cast whirlwind, a minute later I had a few 15/3 guys, run one of them in to him, the game ends and it comes up with a message that I can't lose any more stars at my current rank (which is rank 11, so that makes no sense), and I don't get a win counted for my daily quest either.

Yeah, I'm just going to take a break I guess. Some of these rank losses are soul crushing. I'm almost behind where I started for the day despite +10 over losses for the day (~15-4, 5 losses depending on how I count that one both sides lost thing). 79% winrate and I'm up around one full win :(

Started playing this the other day. seems kinda fun. Beat the heroes on normal, but now im getting pumpeled on expert :/

should i start making my own decks now? getting my ass kicked by paladin expert.

any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom