• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepboy

The rate is 1% per card per pack so it's closer to 1/20 pack rate, not 1/40.

Oh thanks! I guess I've just been unlucky, or maybe I haven't opened quite as many packs as I thought (maybe ~40).

Adventure Mode is a way to add a PvE element for cards. We'll see how good those cards are as it's a good way to just ... force a grind to unlock stuff that isn't gold-limited. And perhaps even a way to get more packs in circulation if they want to.

But, no, I don't believe they've said anything about the whole card collection process being made easier for the future. They might do things like other limited queues just so there's options besides just Casual or Ranked but who knows.

Oh I did forget about Adventure Mode. I suppose a more fleshed out PvE will help ease some into it. Thank you for replying!

Got pagle, should i disenchant for full 1600 dust and buy ysera/gadon ?

I'm no expert, but I would recommend DE. I had the same choice, and after playing pagle 3 games and receiving no cards, as it was either destroyed too quickly or just unlucky, I realized it wasn't worth it compared to other cards. But I'm mid-ranked player who needed epics.

Tarazet

Out of the last 8 games I have played 6 Hunter face rush decks and 2 warriors. It's super cool that we want a deck to be viable for people without legendaries.

It is short sighted and lazy to make a deck so strong that you face nothing else but that deck. The fact that people are cool with design perspective like this is so crazy to me.

It's just a popularity contest. Someone uses an inexpensive deck at a high level and is eloquent about explaining and showing how and why it works, and next thing you know everyone uses it. If you know what you're doing, you can build a Shaman or Mage aggro deck inexpensively and get yourself a pretty high win rate. Trump has even managed to do it with midrange decks, which is where the meta seems to be moving.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/39599-trump-alternate - this is a way that you could adapt his thinking to the current meta. I think that could work extremely well.

johnsmith

remember me
400 dust, quarter of a legendary.
14.png

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Need 2 Cabal Shadow Priests to finish my Priest deck of "Fuck this game and it's RNG"

Mind Control, Shadow Madness, Shadow Words, Mind Games, Thoughtsteal, Mind Vision.... Winning with this deck feels so dirty because I know I made the other guy rage hard.

Aylinato

Need 2 Cabal Shadow Priests to finish my Priest deck of "Fuck this game and it's RNG"

Mind Control, Shadow Madness, Shadow Words, Mind Games, Thoughtsteal, Mind Vision.... Winning with this deck feels so dirty because I know I made the other guy rage hard.

Yeah I'd love to do a shadow priest but I lack the cards

Just watched this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz_OEGVJQCc#aid=P6axzfc0fMA

And it helped me a lot. I've only been playing a couple of weeks but this video was specific to the build I'm playing (aggro Pally) and the deck I'm using is almost exactly the same minus one wrath (I think that's it. The card that does 8 random dmg) and plus one Argent Commander.

Knowing what to discard at the start helped, and also considering who you're playing (can they take your first card w/o dmg)...I didn't know or consider these things before...Helped me play a lot better and more consistently...Plus climbed a couple of ranks to my highest of 14 and 3 stars...Plus, my losses now are much closer...Give me a charge char near the end and I'd win, but if not, I lose..I'm not getting blown out any where near as much as before.

So if you're new to HS, I'd suggest checking it out..Made a lot of sense to me.

Spruce

Neo Member
I really hope they flesh out the single player. An epic story could really pull in the lame squad I'm a part of. Multi only goes so far with the warcraft brand for me.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
My Shaman must be broken, I got like 10 Wrath of Airs in a row and never the healing stream when I needed it

The Game

My frustrations with arena all morning, lost 1-3 2-3 2-3 had great paladin deck and worst luck with draws possible all morning, dropped below 1k gold. Lately its seems everyone on eu is either expert at arena or just get lucky against. me my strikes with 6+ arena runs are long gone. Need to chill from this game a while.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
My frustrations with arena all morning, lost 1-3 2-3 2-3 had great paladin deck and worst luck with draws possible all morning, dropped below 1k gold. Lately its seems everyone on eu is either expert at arena or just get lucky against. me my strikes with 6+ arena runs are long gone. Need to chill from this game a while.

I've decided to just stop playing arena and stick with constructed for now. I'm all about the card collecting and making my own decks, and arena is just too much like gambling for me to enjoy it. I'd rather buy 3 packs of cards than pay for two arenas and only get two packs. Sure there is a chance you might come out ahead if you have a good arena run, but in over 20 arena runs I've not gotten over 4 wins yet. I could have bought 30 packs of cards instead of getting the 20 that I got. That tasks me.....

I seem to always get at least ~45 gold back, so overall arena is still more rewarding in the end.

I'm still missing legendaries anyway for constructed top play.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Really hope this comes to ipad soon, would be such a huge success I feel

scy

Yeah, don't forget to factor the gold return from those Arena runs. They may not have earned you gold over the cost but they certainly gave you at least a little to offset some of the cost. So it's most likely not 20 Arena runs vs 30 packs but a lot closer to 20 vs 25 and probably not even that large of a gap.

And, realistically, if you're constantly going negative in Arena runs, you're most likely making mistakes during the drafting as well as mistakes in the play. Sure, you can't guarantee always going 7+ but if you're consistently 3 or less wins, it should give you reason to wonder about what you're doing wrong. And it certainly isn't "I'm always unlucky." Take some responsibility for your losses so you can figure out what to improve on.

Aylinato

Yeah, don't forget to factor the gold return from those Arena runs. They may not have earned you gold over the cost but they certainly gave you at least a little to offset some of the cost. So it's most likely not 20 Arena runs vs 30 packs but a lot closer to 20 vs 25 and probably not even that large of a gap.

And, realistically, if you're constantly going negative in Arena runs, you're most likely making mistakes during the drafting as well as mistakes in the play. Sure, you can't guarantee always going 7+ but if you're consistently 3 or less wins, it should give you reason to wonder about what you're doing wrong. And it certainly isn't "I'm always unlucky." Take some responsibility for your losses so you can figure out what to improve on.

I accept that I suck, lol.

scy

For some reason I played like 6 priests in a row and they all had similar decks reminding me of a zoo variant for priest. And they all lost.

Innovation!

I'm pretty much a stubborn asshole on this point: I hate blaming things that aren't myself. Sure, there's probably some outside factor involved but I can't control it so I can't bring myself to care too much about it.

inky

Does a fourth quest not save up anymore?

I had 3 quests yesterday, completed one today and even after restarting I didn't get a new one.

Frenden

Banned
I made a mage deck with just about one of every secret and the warrior control list of legendaries + archmage. It works alright. Go figure.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

That's just it, I'm at least an average player. In constructed I win more than I lose.

I'm pretty much a stubborn asshole on this point: I hate blaming things that aren't myself. Sure, there's probably some outside factor involved but I can't control it so I can't bring myself to care too much about it.

But see here is the issue: in arena you are completely at the mercy of the cards you are randomly given to choose from. It's very rare that you can create any kind of synergy in an arena deck, you just have to pick the cards that are the best value and then play smartly during your matches. But if your opponent was favored by the RNG Gods then there just isn't much you can do about it.

In the end, given two people of equal skill, in arena it all comes down to luck or a lack of it. It sounds like a lot of fellow GAF'ers get great winning streaks in arena, so either I'm just reading bad strategy articles and information, I suck terribly, or I'm just not getting lucky with my drafts like ever.

Either way, for me personally, I'd rather buy packs for now than play arena. I just make out better.

scy

That's just it, I'm at least an average player. In constructed I win more than I lose.

Constructed and Arena are different. Trying to reason out why you're good in one but bad in the other isn't going to really get good answers until you treat the formats as separate things.

Also worth noting that "average" in Arena is around 3 wins.

But see here is the issue: in arena you are completely at the mercy of the cards you are randomly given to choose from. It's very rare that you can create any kind of synergy in an arena deck, you just have to pick the cards that are the best value and then play smartly during your matches. But if your opponent was favored by the RNG Gods then there just isn't much you can do about it.

"If." People keep talking about these things as if it's a given that someone will get all of the luck ever. Chances are highly likely that your opponent has about as average of a pull as you do. Even if they don't, you're still given up-to 3 losses. Is it possible to scrub out because you run into three monster decks in a row? Yeah, sure. Those aren't the norm, however.

In the end, given two people of equal skill, in arena it all comes down to luck or a lack of it. It sounds like a lot of fellow GAF'ers get great winning streaks in arena, so either I'm just reading bad strategy articles and information, I suck terribly, or I'm just not getting lucky with my drafts like ever.

It's a card game. At a certain point, luck will matter. What you do with what you have, however, is a far more important thing. Two people of equal skill and the same decks still means that you're making decisions. Thinking in terms of "equal skill" creates a blind spot, in my opinion. Individual decisions matter a lot and "equal skill" seems to ignore that those decision points are what lead to winning / losing.

Either way, for me personally, I'd rather buy packs for now than play arena. I just make out better.

That's fine. I just find that most people like to blame everything but their own play when it comes to Arena. Bad runs for me are 5-6 wins, not 3; going 4 or less wins takes something seriously bad happening. If you're consistently at 3 or less wins every single run over a large sample size, the problem isn't that you're unlucky.

zoukka

Limited CCG formats are way WAY harder than constructed. Even in HS where they have worked hard to make arena as easy as a limited format can ever be. So if you feel you lose in arena a lot more than in constructed, then that's perfectly normal.

scy

That's the other thing. Limited formats in general have a higher skill floor. You have this additional draft phase where you can make massive mistakes in on top of the normal playing where you can also make massive mistakes in. This makes it a lot harder to start off with since you have so much more to learn just to get started.

zoukka

And even for experienced players you only get a limited amount of games to practice your deck.

On the flipside, if you want to improve your play, limited is the quickest way to do it. And in Hearthstone it's fucking free! Imagine MTGO where every draft costs around 12 euros with no guaranteed prizes.

Kosma

Banned
Imho Arena is the only true mode to play and test your skill, even if the draft aspect is a major factor.

It really seperates the players that only know one deck and the players that know the game.

I've decided to just stop playing arena and stick with constructed for now. I'm all about the card collecting and making my own decks, and arena is just too much like gambling for me to enjoy it. I'd rather buy 3 packs of cards than pay for two arenas and only get two packs. Sure there is a chance you might come out ahead if you have a good arena run, but in over 20 arena runs I've not gotten over 4 wins yet. I could have bought 30 packs of cards instead of getting the 20 that I got. That tasks me.....

If thats your stats its not gambling Im afraid.

Do you know which cards to pick?

scy

With the limited pool, I think the skill ceiling in Hearthstone Arena is a lot lower than you'd expect from the format. It's usually just pick the best value card of the three 30 times. Increasing the card pool and maybe making it out of five cards (to force choices more) could help that part out.

On the flipside, if you want to improve your play, limited is the quickest way to do it. And in Hearthstone it's fucking free! Imagine MTGO where every draft costs around 12 euros with no guaranteed prizes.

modo cost me so much (imaginary) money in college haha

zoukka

Imho Arena is the only true mode to play and test your skill, even if the draft aspect is a major factor.

It really seperates the players that only know one deck and the players that know the game.

There's plenty of depth in mastering constructed too. They are the different sides of a same coin.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews

Getting on top of the constructed ladder necessits a knowledge of the metagame aka all the different cards composing the pool of differents competitive decks.

I totally understand you prefer one mode over the other though. Arena has that "getting good enough to keep playing arena for free" which must be pretty exciting.

Card Boy

Banned
Just watched this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz_OEGVJQCc#aid=P6axzfc0fMA

And it helped me a lot. I've only been playing a couple of weeks but this video was specific to the build I'm playing (aggro Pally) and the deck I'm using is almost exactly the same minus one wrath (I think that's it. The card that does 8 random dmg) and plus one Argent Commander.

Knowing what to discard at the start helped, and also considering who you're playing (can they take your first card w/o dmg)...I didn't know or consider these things before...Helped me play a lot better and more consistently...Plus climbed a couple of ranks to my highest of 14 and 3 stars...Plus, my losses now are much closer...Give me a charge char near the end and I'd win, but if not, I lose..I'm not getting blown out any where near as much as before.

So if you're new to HS, I'd suggest checking it out..Made a lot of sense to me.

I actually watched all of this. Good video. I am missing the epics and leeroy though.

scy

Sure you need to be smart to get to the top in constructed too, but you also need the good cards.

I think enough people have done the free climb to Legendary to prove that false. You can get to Legendary, or at least Rank 5+, just by playing well.

I've gotten to the point where I can usually eke out 7 arena wins with even a shitty deck.

my last 3 runs were druid and there wasn't a single swipe to be had. still didn't do worse than 7 wins.

I feel like the achievement system is very anti-new player. As a newb I want to focus on building one class that I know solidly before moving on, but to get any $$$ I have to be hopping from class to class from the get go. Preventing me from really learning any of them.

Stupid....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom