• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe disregard losses entirely for scoring when in legendary. That would also solve the idling issue as well (as sitting there would have absolutely no benefit at all). Just sort the legendary players by total number of wins after reaching legendary rank.

Then it would be who can grind the most wins = rush decks since they play matches the fastest. Someone with no life and a 10% win rate could theoretically be top dog.

I think the ELO system is fine. Displaying the ELO alongside your rank would be nice though. Everyone tends to clump up in close score so even if you only drop like 20 pts on a 1000pt scale you could pass 50 people. And as more people are added to the pool above your ELO (since ELO is tracked the entire time in ranking) you naturally move down and when you lose you will naturally move down quicker since you're passing more people in clumps. I hope that made sense.

This may be a silly question:

Is it wrong to buy packs of cards?

So far I've spent 100 dollars on this game (2-40 packs). I'm loving it...And I'm thinking about buying more, but I feel guilty about it...You know..."This is a F2P game, why am I spending money on it..blah, blah..If I'm good enough, I shouldn't have to spend money."

Anybody else have guilt about spending money on this wonderful game?

JesseZao

So far I've spent 100 dollars on this game (2-40 packs). I'm loving it...And I'm thinking about buying more, but I feel guilty about it...You know..."This is a F2P game, why am I spending money on it..blah, blah..If I'm good enough, I shouldn't have to spend money."

It greases the wheel so you can have fun in constructed sooner. (It certainly isn't necessary to have a deep pool to be succesful, but you get variety and choice fun) If your going to spend money on it, early on is the best time. I've played long enough that it's just not worth it.

scy

Then it would be who can grind the most wins = rush decks since they play matches the fastest. Someone with no life and a 10% win rate could theoretically be top dog.

I think the ELO system is fine. Displaying the ELO alongside your rank would be nice though. Everyone tends to clump up in close score so even if you only drop like 20 pts on a 1000pt scale you could pass 50 people. And as more people are added to the pool above your ELO (since ELO is tracked the entire time in ranking) you naturally move down and when you lose you will naturally move down quicker since you're passing more people in clumps. I hope that made sense.

For the most part, the system is fine. The issue is that losses, as far as I can tell, are worth more than a win. I've played back-to-back the same person and went 1-1 against them and every time I will lose more than I win regardless of the order of the win/loss. That's why I want the numbers so I can see if that's actually the case. Usually, you need to go .500 to break even but Hearthstone's is closer to .666 it seems.

Put another way, my issue isn't that -20 can mean a change of 20-30+ ranks. My problem is that winning shouldn't be +12 with the loss being -20.

For the most part, the system is fine. The issue is that losses, as far as I can tell, are worth more than a win. I've played back-to-back the same person and went 1-1 against them and every time I will lose more than I win regardless of the order of the win/loss. That's why I want the numbers so I can see if that's actually the case. Usually, you need to go .500 to break even but Hearthstone's is closer to .666 it seems.

Put another way, my issue isn't that -20 can mean a change of 20-30+ ranks. My problem is that winning shouldn't be +12 with the loss being -20.

Was he ranked higher or lower than you? If he was lower it seems to make sense that you can lose more than you gain going 1-1 against the same person. If he was higher you should gain more than you lose when you go 1-1 and have net advancement.

It is also further complicated by the fact that other people are always going to be moving up and down. So it is also possible that more people advanced above you in ELO score while you were staying generally stagnant.

Minsc

Gold Member
It greases the wheel so you can have fun in constructed sooner. (It certainly isn't necessary to have a deep pool to be succesful, but you get variety and choice fun) If your going to spend money on it, early on is the best time. I've played long enough that it's just not worth it.

Yeah, the prices only work ok if you are getting ~30 new cards, not ~300 dust for $10.

Chaos17

I recently played anduin and I looked much more like a necromancer that you can't kill because I will always survive, lol.

Poor mage, he had the winning hand all the time but I resisted all his attack until I drew all the cards that boost the HP of my tank (like twice ??) then I got the card : you get the same amout of ATK as of your HP XD

*Chaos dealt 18 ATK!*
*Ennemy dead*
*Chaos HP lef 6*

That makes a lot of sense. I've only played a couple of weeks, so my card pool is relatively small and I want to try out different builds. Trying out different builds is what is motivating my desire to buy more cards.

I'm playing on making a Shadow Priest build with Malaygos and Faceless Manipulator, lots of buff and stealing cards. Basically a control, beat em at their own game, heal or deal dmg..Used a weak version vs the expert AI and it's been a lot of fun. Doubt it'd be a top deck but when it'd work it'd be a lot of fun.

Plus just cashed in 145 dollars from my cashback card so I feel like that's free money to burn..

scy

Was he ranked higher or lower than you? If he was lower it seems to make sense that you can lose more than you gain going 1-1 against the same person. If he was higher you should gain more than you lose when you go 1-1 and have net advancement.

Higher. I know how Elo systems normally work.

It is also further complicated by the fact that other people are always going to be moving up and down. So it is also possible that more people advanced above you in ELO score while you were staying generally stagnant.

It is consistent across the board that you will gain less ranks per win than you will lose on average from a loss. Higher or lower doesn't really matter much here short of bridging the gap between the two. You will lose more than when you win.

Just my example from today, +10 record to go from ~300 to ending at ~270. 210 -> 290 was two losses. My last win took me from 290 to ~277 which means undoing those two losses would be around 5 total wins. In a row.

FStop7

Banned
I'm not one to demand that XXX card needs a nerf, but the secret card that gives a mage immunity from lethal damage is bulllllllllllshit.

johnsmith

remember me
I'm not one to demand that XXX card needs a nerf, but the secret card that gives a mage immunity from lethal damage is bulllllllllllshit.
It's actually a really weak card. If you're in a position that it actually gets activated you are screwed anyway. 1 extra turn won't save you unless it's a super close game.

scy

Ice Block is more of a long term potential problem. If Mage can get to the place where they have a ton of reach to get to guaranteed lethal, getting ~20+ Mana over the course of a few turns could be broken. Right now, it's just an annoyance.

Ice Block is more of a long term potential problem. If Mage can get to the place where they have a ton of reach to get to guaranteed lethal, getting ~20+ Mana over the course of a few turns could be broken. Right now, it's just an annoyance.

Innervate is the same problem but for a different reason. I see Ice Block and Innervate both being adjusted in some way before we get more than a couple expansion sets ahead (which I guess would be years from now knowing Blizzard).

CoolOff

I had 96/100 face damage for a mission, so I started a ranked game, went Coin -> Innervate -> Swipe to face -> Concede.

Priest must've been confused.

So I'm excited about creating a potential Shadow Priest build and I decided just to create one. I'm not an expert but I just picked a number of cards that I thought would be decent. Figure it's got minions, some tricky stuff, can deal with taunts, card creation, and isn't all end game cards. Looking for feedback on this...What am I missing? Or is this just junk? Haven't tried it out as I don't have all these cards right now.

Spells-13 total
1-Mass Dispel
1-Mindvision
1-Thoughtsteal
2-Holy Smite
2-Inner Fire
2-Shadowform
2-Mindblast
2-Divine Spirit

Minions-17 total
1-Ironbeak Owl
1-Lightspawn
1-Lightwell
1-Shadowpriest
2-Aucherail Soulpriests
2-Faceless Manipulators
2-Temple Enforcers
2-Northshire Clerics
2-Sorcerer's Apprentice
2-1/7 Taunters
1-Legendary of some kind..not sure what one though..

H1PSTER

Hey guys I'm currently running a Shaman & Priest control deck and have enough dust to craft a legendary.

I was wondering what you'd recommend, I currently play Ragnaros but want to buff the two decks a little more.

I'm leaning towards Bloodmage Thalnos.

Thoughts?

FStop7

Banned
Someone asked Trump this very question yesterday and he indicated for Shaman that Bloodmage Thalnos was the only must-have Legendary. Everything else (even Rag) was debatable.

H1PSTER

Someone asked Trump this very question yesterday and he indicated for Shaman that Bloodmage Thalnos was the only must-have Legendary. Everything else (even Rag) was debatable.

I think that's confirmed it for me then!

I do like the Shaman deck a little more and just got Al'kir for it.

We'll see how it goes! Thank you.

CoolOff

Thoughts on Geddon vs. Sylvanas as a Hunter in Arena? I haven't yet had a deck where I felt Sylvanas was that useful, since Arena-boards are usually pretty empty and rife with Fireball-Mages.

Question about the dailies...

When I start the game it shows me three dailies that haven't changed...It's basically win 2 games with one of two classes.

Will these eventually go away and be replaced with something else if I don't end up beating them? I ask because the classes are characters I don't play and practice mode doesn't count. Do I have to complete them to have new ones replace them?

H1PSTER

Question about the dailies...

When I start the game it shows me three dailies that haven't changed...It's basically win 2 games with one of two classes.

Will these eventually go away and be replaced with something else if I don't end up beating them? I ask because the classes are characters I don't play and practice mode doesn't count. Do I have to complete them to have new ones replace them?

"Dailies", they change every day!

---

I've just reached a point in ranked (Level 17) where EVERYONE is fielding a murlock deck... I mean I do have one myself but come on guys! Be original.

"Dailies", they change every day!

---

I've just reached a point in ranked (Level 17) where EVERYONE is fielding a murlock deck... I mean I do have one myself but come on guys! Be original.

Yeah, I'd assume they'd change everyday (dailies change daily right?), but mine haven't changed in the last few days...Just the same 3 from Friday until this afternoon.

Strange one, possibly a bug?

If I'm understanding where they show up, then yeah, it's gotta be a bug.

When I hit play on the battlenet screen, it loads up the game and the first thing I see are three dailies...Each of them is basically the same...Win 2 games with either a druid or hunter...next one...Win two game with either a druid or a shaman..Final one..Win two games with either a hunter or a rogue...

I haven't played any of them since Friday and they've remained the same since then..

Phreaker

I did the same. Played for a week and bought 40 packs, about two weeks later (still playing a lot) bought 40 more. That was it though, still only have 3 (plus the free) legendary. However, I have enough cards now to make the decks I want sans some legendaries, but now that tink was nerfed I don't need him. I play Arena quite a bit and really don't need to spend any more money unless I was just going for dust since most packs don't give me a new card.

I have no problem spending $100 on the game since I've already played it more hours than all the time I've spent on Xbox One and PS4 games. I got into the beta just before the consoles came out. So, there's that.

I did the same. Played for a week and bought 40 packs, about two weeks later (still playing a lot) bought 40 more. That was it though, still only have 3 (plus the free) legendary. However, I have enough cards now to make the decks I want sans some legendaries, but now that tink was nerfed I don't need him. I play Arena quite a bit and really don't need to spend any more money unless I was just going for dust since most packs don't give me a new card.

I have no problem spending $100 on the game since I've already played it more hours than all the time I've spent on Xbox One and PS4 games. I got into the beta just before the consoles came out. So, there's that.

That's how I feel about it...I've basically played this obsessively for the past 2 weeks...So I figured, wtf...If this was a release title, I would have spent 50-60 bucks...And I like it a lot, so what's another 50...And now, I got some cashback from my CC, so it's basically another free 50 so why not spend it on HS....lol

Phreaker

That's how I feel about it...I've basically played this obsessively for the past 2 weeks...So I figured, wtf...If this was a release title, I would have spent 50-60 bucks...And I like it a lot, so what's another 50...And now, I got some cashback from my CC, so it's basically another free 50 so why not spend it on HS....lol

Because I so rarely get new cards in packs that I buy from gold I earn in Arena and doing quests I can't see paying for more. I would pay for additional deck slots and I'm sure I'll spend money when the inevitable expansion set(s) comes out.

Coming from the CCG side of things, Hearthstone feels, if anything, absurdly cheap. I have just about every card I could want for <$200. That's cheaper than even "living card games" like Netrunner and the price of a single Magic deck in Standard.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Coming from the CCG side of things, Hearthstone feels, if anything, absurdly cheap. I have just about every card I could want for <$200. That's cheaper than even "living card games" like Netrunner and the price of a single Magic deck in Standard.

it's a little harsh on the legendary / ultra rare side, but otherwise I agree

I like this perspective...I'm dropping another 50 tonight and I promise myself I won't go any more de'ing sprees to get the cards I want that I didn't get..Unless I'm de'ing hunter stuff as I refuse to play one....and probably a druid and shaman too..lol

Card Boy

Banned

I'm only dropping $40 if we get more cards or a new class.
(Gimme Arthas Deathknight Blizzard)

Sorta thinking of hording my gold now.

So I got my gf into the game about a month ago. We play each other often and the games are fun. I was watching her earlier playing casual to complete some quests. She only has maybe 4 heroes to level 10 and the others far below that. She gets enough for a pack.

First fucking card she opens is a Ragnaros, followed swiftly by a Druid of the Claw.... only to be followed by a Keeper of the Grove.

The jealous rage I am feeling you guys...

Aylinato

So I'm excited about creating a potential Shadow Priest build and I decided just to create one. I'm not an expert but I just picked a number of cards that I thought would be decent. Figure it's got minions, some tricky stuff, can deal with taunts, card creation, and isn't all end game cards. Looking for feedback on this...What am I missing? Or is this just junk? Haven't tried it out as I don't have all these cards right now.

Spells-13 total
1-Mass Dispel
1-Mindvision
1-Thoughtsteal
2-Holy Smite
2-Inner Fire
2-Shadowform
2-Mindblast
2-Divine Spirit

Minions-17 total
1-Ironbeak Owl
1-Lightspawn
1-Lightwell
1-Shadowpriest
2-Aucherail Soulpriests
2-Faceless Manipulators
2-Temple Enforcers
2-Northshire Clerics
2-Sorcerer's Apprentice
2-1/7 Taunters
1-Legendary of some kind..not sure what one though..

How do you feel about the take over a minion 6 mana drop?

I just started playing this game a night ago... it's pretty fun!

I'm still playing in Casual but I just beat a really annoying Mage named "Mikey McButts"... he couldn't handle my pally :) He got to two cards remaining, and then finally conceded, with me winning 30-11.

I'm going to try and hold off buying cards for as long as possible.

edit: OMG there isn't much that is more satisfying than playing against a mage, and buffing your polymorph sheep into a 3/3 deathblow :D

Kansoku

Had the weirdest bug just now. I played a minion but the card went back to my hand right away, and when I attacked with another minion it came back to the board.

EDIT: WAT. Guy Swipes my minions, Harvest Golem is destroyed, and Damaged Golem is destroyed as well. Screwed me completely

CoolOff

King Krush + Baron Geddon in arena is pretty lol. Both cards are insanely good when you can control what board they end up on, which with 2 Deadly Shot and 2 Freezing Trap is pretty easy.

7-1 so far, went really close a few of the times though. Highlight was a Mage, I played Geddon, she flooded the board and got me down to lethal the turn after, only for me to topdeck Krush, which left her on 1 hp, end turn -> Geddon wins.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

It's not wrong, I am going to buy some packs eventually. For now I've not spent a dime, I want to see how well I can do by just playing and not paying. Having fun for the most part, collecting cards and trying out new deck ideas. I wish I could get / craft some of those nice epics and legendaries though, they will be the things that get me to buy packs, I already know it.

But I'm fine with that. If I can spend $60 for Diablo and Starcraft plus expansions then I can afford a few dollars for their card game too.

bjaelke

2 legendaries back to back. Captain Greenskin and a golden Millhouse Manastorm
wtzgU.gif

Haunted

oh hey I just crafted my last murloc. Got dat Murk-Eye.

Not playing Murloc, mind you. Just happy I have them all. Pirates next!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom