• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member
That survey never ended, did it? I just got bored and quit before I made it to the end.

How good is the matchmaking in this game? I just started playing this week and it's my first card game, so it's still a bit overwhelming. Just don't want to jump in to playing real players and get wrecked.

I find it to be as good as you could really hope.

Ranked is done by points, so you could be playing anyone, but generally the more points (well stars) you get, the harder your opponents are. There are people who only play ranked a very small amount so they have great cards and decks yet low ranks, and there are people who like to farm the low ranks for easy wins too... but generally you find people playing to gain more stars in ranked.

Casual is matched by a hidden MMR, that aims to have your win/loss ratio at 50%. So the more you win the harder your matches and the more you lose, the easier.

There is really no easy mode, for new players... winning ~50% is really the goal. For expert players, they can win more often, especially in ranked play at lower levels (towards rank 20).

Arena is the most fair, since matchmaking is based off your wins, but the card selection process is entirely up to RNG, with some skill in balancing that RNG out in to the best deck you can (for arena play anyway).

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
any decks that beat Hunter and Zoo aggro? Its all I see

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I am so sick of losing to classes that spend half the game with 1 card in their hand and top decking victories.

XaeonBE

Just wondering do you guys have any decks you can start with when you only got a few card packs bought... But don't want to spend to much money and still be a bit better then the standard decks...

Just wondering do you guys have any decks you can start with when you only got a few card packs bought... But don't want to spend to much money and still be a bit better then the standard decks...

There should be a list of relatively cheap (or entirely free/made from starting cards) decks that Trump has made. Google something like "Trump free hearthstone decks" or "Trump free basic decks hearthstone" and see if anything pops up. They aren't the best decks ever, but they're very capable for being starting decks. If you've bought a few packs you may be able to flesh them out a bit better even.

XaeonBE

There should be a list of relatively cheap (or entirely free/made from starting cards) decks that Trump has made. Google something like "Trump free hearthstone decks" or "Trump free basic decks hearthstone" and see if anything pops up. They aren't the best decks ever, but they're very capable for being starting decks. If you've bought a few packs you may be able to flesh them out a bit better even.

Thank you kind sir.

Mr Cola

Anyone else on eu experiencing super lag in games?

Ultrabum

Token and Ramp Druid are both pretty solid against Hunter, but Zoo is favored in every matchup unfortunately. I agree though this new ranked season has been pretty frustrating so far.

If zoo gets to play 3 of their 4 doomguards and soufires, it's pretty much an autowin. Just so much advantage with those cards if you don't need cards in your hand or your hand is empty.

Mr Cola

When you see players like trump give up on control and just focus on Zoo you know thats the way things are, Reynad, Forsen, Reckful, Tides, they all play control to begin with and just decide its pointless.

Yeah I beat it with 30hp left but it was pretty funny how every turn had 1 or 2 more taunts. I could see it causing problems if I didn't have a decent card draw.

Yeah I won a surprising amount of games with it, but it loses hard to a lot of decks. This is the only time where I feel like I can play troll/gimick decks on ladder, since everything is such a mess after the reset and the meta is going crazy with all the naxx cards, so I'm just having fun.

I deleted the deck when it lost to a zoo though. YOU HAD ONE JOB, DECK

Xater

When you see players like trump give up on control and just focus on Zoo you know thats the way things are, Reynad, Forsen, Reckful, Tides, they all play control to begin with and just decide its pointless.

I hope they'll do something to make control more viable again.

ViviOggi

The problem right now is that Zoo not only got two strong staples with eggs and the spiders, but key cards people are excited about because they beat evil Miracle like Loatheb and Spectral Knight working in their favor as well. Ghoul and Belcher are nice but likely not enough.

That said not even half of Naxx is out yet, the additional wings will change things up a lot.

inter

Think this might be what you're looking for: http://i.imgur.com/OmfQKEG.png

So what is actually good against zoo. It's almost everything I play against.

Btw: GAF tournament should be a thing, wanted to bring that to the new page.

I've been doing pretty well vs zoo with control warrior. I'm using the one Reynad was playing earlier today, I found that Sjow's didn't have enough damage vs druids, which have been the majority of my matchups since reset.

The meta seems to be in a really bothersome place right now. We're mostly seeing the old mainstay decks from last season enhanced with a few new naxx cards, rather than seeing anything really change. People thought loatheb would kill miracle but miracle is now using it to lock down wins. The two new taunts haven't hurt zoo all that much, but the spiders have made zoo way stronger than it ever was before. Druids are...doing pretty much exactly what they've been doing for the past couple months.

The only really new deck that I have fought since the reset was the secrets/giants mage using duplicate which I haven't seen on any of the decklist sites. I should have friended that guy and kept track of how he's been ranking up. Playing 4 molten giants for 0 mana was inspired.

I do think that when we get Deathlord and Dark Cultist priest is going to be sick. They're going to wreck zoo in a disgusting way if they want to.

Xanathus

That 4/6 faerie dragon is gonna wreck Priests though but it will depend on whether people use it in their decks because there are kind of enough 5s now with Loatheb and Drake. Worst part about Spectral Knight is that Priests can't even use them because they can't heal or buff it.

inky

So what is actually good against zoo. It's almost everything I play against.

Btw: GAF tournament should be a thing, wanted to bring that to the new page.

There were already 2 GAF tournaments and I know there is a third in the works. Ferny organized the second (in which I participated) and even provided the prizes, which was awesome of him and deserves a shout-out.

There were already 2 GAF tournaments and I know there is a third in the works. Ferny organized the second (in which I participated) and even provided the prizes, which was awesome of him and deserves a shout-out.

I know the first one only allowed like 1 legendary. Did they allow more for the 2nd?

inky

I know the first one only allowed like 1 legendary. Did they allow more for the 2nd?

Special rule was only 1 legendary per deck too. In any case, they did say it wouldn't apply for the next one and would come up with some other type of rule.

In my opinion they should really try to have fixed decks or something. It was fun, but competing as a Druid and facing off against 3+ Warlocks that could be either zoo, rush or hand really fucked me over. Warlock is too versatile to allow people to change decks at will between matches.

Special rule was only 1 legendary per deck too. In any case, they did say it wouldn't apply for the next one and would come up with some other type of rule.

In my opinion they should really try to have fixed decks or something. It was fun, but competing as a Druid and facing off against 3+ Warlocks that could be either zoo, rush or hand really fucked me over. Warlock is too versatile to allow people to change decks at will between matches.

I liked the format they had in a streamed tournament a week or two ago. Four fixed decks, opponent can ban one, then best of 7.

Whatever the format, I'd like to see less restrictions on what you can use. And definitely more than 1 class cause that way at least you have to use something more than zoo. It has been like 5 months since release, I feel like that is ample time to be capable of collecting enough cards to make 3 decks. And even I have some restrictions on what decks I can make but I can put together at least 3 decks from 3 classes.

I personally would prefer to see best of 5 but maybe 5 decks is too high of a requirement.

ViviOggi

Any kind of card restriction sounds like a terrible idea. It pushes the viable decks towards Zoo and Aggro (well, mainly Zoo), decks which are more than capable of competing with the more expensive Control decks that often need several Legendaries to function at all. It just diminishes variety.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Withdrawals...

Any kind of card restriction sounds like a terrible idea. It pushes the viable decks towards Zoo and Aggro (well, mainly Zoo), decks which are more than capable of competing with the more expensive Control decks that often need several Legendaries to function at all. It just diminishes variety.

yeah you basically get zoo(which runs 0 legendaries), mid-range hunter(which just runs leeroy) and miracle rogue minus van cleef.

i think if you're going to do a restricted tourney doing a basic only or limiting it to common would be more interesting.

Well if I can help in any way, let me know. I'm down for this!

ShinNL

I faced a taunt control Shaman deck today and a Druid trying Poison Seeds combos. I was playing an experimental Mill Rogue deck and Titan deck (Giants Shaman). Yesterday I faced a fake Freeze Mage deck. Opens with draws and suddenly freeze-locking & many minions.

Who says deckbuilding is dead? I love it! I really don't mind losing to decks like these, at least the entire experience is actually fun.

That said, I had some hilarious results with my Mill deck. Sometimes I just do Leeroy turn after turn while bringing it back with either Shadowstep or Brewmaster, only to do a turn 8 move: Leeroy Jenkins (with reduced cost), Vanish. Hilarious. And a game where I kept returning Loatheb and replaying it was unbearable for my Priest opponent xD 5/5 is apparently hard to deal with without magical powers.

BTW, I gave up on Unstable Ghoul. Pyromancer is just a better card for that functionality. Giving your opponent to decide what to do just bares too many risks.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The problem right now is that Zoo not only got two strong staples with eggs and the spiders, but key cards people are excited about because they beat evil Miracle like Loatheb and Spectral Knight working in their favor as well. Ghoul and Belcher are nice but likely not enough.

That said not even half of Naxx is out yet, the additional wings will change things up a lot.

Deathlord is the card to watch. I think it kind of needs to kill three minions to really be something that actually slows down zoo.

Zemm

Why do I even play this game? I should seriously see a doctor.

Druid
Druid
Druid
Druid
Druid
Zoo
Druid
Druid
Hunter
Zoo
Zoo
Zoo
Zoo
Druid
Druid

edit: New game - Zoo.

johnsmith

remember me
I can't beat the mage class challenge. This deck is hot garbage.

Nevermind, just had to restart 4 times to not get cards that were pure trash in the first 5 turns.

I've decided to just play warrior because I want those golden yeti. but i've had to add a lot of anti-zoo tech.

it's great when you mulligan gorehowl and your first draw is gorehowl.

inky

Well, 3 days later I finally beat the thing. It was OK. Did it with Mage & Priest decks, 2 classes I don't normally use so it was a nice change of pace.

I've decided to just play warrior because I want those golden yeti. but i've had to add a lot of anti-zoo tech.

As annoying as that is, it gives a funny mental image.

"I don't want this card right now, I'll just slide it back into my deck at random." And then you put it right on top.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

I barely get to use my golden yetis.. I don't play any decks that use them..

Frenden

Banned
I think I preferred the pre-Tink Master/Pagel nerf meta to any that has come since. The one right after the Sylvanas nerf update.

At least Tink gave every class a bit of removal and Pagel made more flexible decks possible because half your deck wasn't dedicated to card draw.

God help me, I never thought I'd say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom