• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xelis

IMO, the rarest (and possibly most valuable) complaints in Hearthstone are the nerf requests directly from people who are primarily running the decks the complaints are about. So zoo nerf fixes from people who play mainly zoo, freeze mage nerfs from people who main freeze mage up the ladder, etc.

It's easy to complain about the decks you lose to, far harder (and more insightful) to complain about the decks you (not others) consistently win with, in terms of weakening them to balance the game. Saying Miracle Rogue needs a nerf from seeing others beat you all the time, and getting to legendary with Miracle Rogue and still thinking it are two different things I feel.

I have incredible luck with priests (~75% win ratio) when I can play non-zoo games, which happens a lot for some weird reason when I pick priest. I made it through my last win 5 60g quest in exactly 5 games.

Priest vs Paladin in particular is usually an auto-win, especially if they go with the slower control build.
Out of interest what is your Priest deck?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
So watching Amaz stream when yhou summon jaraxxus off void caller it summons a 3-15 single card and not the change up.

Zemm

Razuvious looks awful, anti-fun to play against. I have to say I think they've done a really bad job with the heroic bosses.

scy

I haven't done the wing yet but looking at it seems like a relatively familiar setup for the WoW encounter :x At least he doesn't have his shout.

So watching Amaz stream when yhou summon jaraxxus off void caller it summons a 3-15 single card and not the change up.

Because it bypasses Battlecries.

Minsc

Gold Member
Out of interest what is your Priest deck?

Pretty standard, the usual x2 Northshire/Injured Blademaster/CoH/Auchenai soulpriest/Wild Pyro/Power word shield/Thought steal/Circle of Healing/Shadow Word Pain/Death

Rest is 1x Mind Control, 1x Cabal Shadow Priest, 2x Mind vision, 2x Molten Giant, 2x DoA, and two more cards I'm forgetting atm (probably some late game legendary or two).

Weird omissions are holy smite and shadow madness, but I'm not to the point I need to re-evaluate it as I don't play it much outside daily quests.

It often lives and dies by the 6 cards I get from the thoughtsteal/mind vision, but if it makes it to late game, it rarely loses because of the insane value you get out of a well played mind control, and people don't expect the taunted giants in a Priest deck too much, so they don't die as quickly as in a Warlock deck.

I've played a lot of paladins with it, and they usually have a ton of board wipes, but the wipes rarely hit more than a single creature or two most of the time, and at some point they just run out, then it's time for the 8/8 giants they didn't account for, or they finally have to play Tirion in to a Mind Control.

Because it bypasses Battlecries.

Time to start running crazed alchemists if you can get those to stick a turn.

Alrus

Razuvious looks awful, anti-fun to play against. I have to say I think they've done a really bad job with the heroic bosses.

He seemed really really easy to me. You get a card that gives you control of his two 0/7 Taunts, if you play priest it's just a matter of keeping them alive so he can't wack you in the face for 10(20 in heroics) with his sword.

Haunted

I think they've done a great job. What I don't like is introducing card effects that aren't really all that clear.

Understudy.png
Mind_Control_Crystal.png

I assume it's a WoW reference or something.

Kenaras

Haven't played the Military Quarter yet, but I think they've done a great job with the heroic bosses so far. My only issue is that Freeze Mage in general—and Alexstrasza in particular—has been too good against too many of them.

Alrus

Haven't played the Military Quarter yet, but I think they've done a great job with the heroic bosses so far. My only issue is that Freeze Mage in general—and Alexstrasza in particular—has been too good against too many of them.

I thought they made it so alex gets destroyed immediately when you try to summon it.

I think they've done a great job. What I don't like is introducing card effects that aren't really all that clear.

Understudy.png
Mind_Control_Crystal.png

I can't understand how that works on first glance at all, even with the context of both cards together. Does it just Mind Control every active Understudy when played?

Haunted

I thought they made it so alex gets destroyed immediately when you try to summon it.
Not in the first week, but I assume that's how it'll work from the second week onwards.

Don't have Alex anyway.

I can't understand how that works on first glance at all, even with the context of both cards together.
Yup. Plenty of questions. What does "activate" mean as a card effect? Can't they be controlled before? Are they going to switch sides depending on who played the crystal last? How do I get the card, I assume it's in his deck, not mine. Nothing I see on the cards says "give the opponent an MC crystal" etc.

Xater

Understudy.png
Mind_Control_Crystal.png

I guess the idea is that you can't make the understudies attack anything until you give them attack and use the mind control to take them under control.

Zafir

Understudy.png
Mind_Control_Crystal.png

Yeah, if I remember rightly in the boss in WoW there was 4 understudies, 1 would be mind controlled to tank the boss and the other 3 would be tanked until you took control of them to continue up tanking. Nice that they made it similar to the wow boss I guess.

FStop7

Banned
I was watching Reynad for a bit, yesterday. He mentioned that the Warlock hero power should still cost 2 mana and 2 life, but that the card draw shouldn't happen until the end of the turn. I figure if even Reynad is floating suggestions to tone down zoo, then it probably does need it.

BTW - Kolento's Paladin deck performs well versus zoo. It's very heavy on taunts and has a lot of board clear options. Pyro+Equality, Equality+Cons, even Pyro+Humility or Pyro+Coin if you're facing a bunch of 2/1 cards. It's a good deck, all around.

scy

The Razuvious fight was done originally by mind controlling his Understudies and using them to tank him instead since he did so much damage to players (Unbalancing Strike was like 50k damage in a time when 5-digit health was a big deal). I think the reworked fight is the same but the MC was via the Orbs but that was long after I quit playing.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I was watching Reynad for a bit, yesterday. He mentioned that the Warlock hero power should still cost 2 mana and 2 life, but that the card draw shouldn't happen until the end of the turn. I figure if even Reynad is floating suggestions to tone down zoo, then it probably does need it.

That's a pretty significant change but similar to what was done for Nat.

frequency

That is actually a pretty good idea to change it without destroying the class.
It could be a huge nerf for Zoo though and I'm not sure it really needs to be nerfed out of existence.

But eh...
There was a time when many believed the UTH nerf to 3 mana killed Hunters. But they're making a comeback in recent times.

I got enough dust to create a legendary but I can't decide. I want something for my Deathrattle deck so...Cairne or Sylvanas? I think that Cairne would be more useful in my other decks but Sylvanas is rather tempting.

ViviOggi

That is actually a pretty good idea to change it without destroying the class.
It could be a huge nerf for Zoo though and I'm not sure it really needs to be nerfed out of existence. But eh...
I'm more concerned with how it would affect Handlock. I had the same idea a few weeks ago and most of the people who replied thought it would hit the deck too hard.

frequency

I'm more concerned with how it would affect Handlock. I had the same idea a few weeks ago and most of the people who replied thought it would hit the deck too hard.

I'm not as familiar with how Handlock plays so I didn't want to say anything about it. I'd be more sad at Handlock going away than Zoo though. Even if I am not that familiar with it, I love the idea of Handlock as a deck. I thought it wouldn't be affected as much.

If it hurts Handlock I have to change my mind on that idea then and say it's bad.

Alrus

I don't really see the problem with the mind control crystal, it always seemed pretty obvious to me. Use the card, control the understudy which are already on board from the beginning. The way it's phrased just adds flavor but I don't see how you could be confused by it.

johnsmith

remember me
I wouldn't mind the hero power being nerfed as long as the class cards got buffed. The majority are unplayable. Just look at their arena performance.

Xanathus

I think a smaller nerf would be to enforce the discard mechanics of Soulfire and Doomguard so that you can't play them without actually discarding the cards they ask you to. That removes the burst potential of zoo which gives slower decks a chance to regain control during the midgame, and doesn't overly affect the other Warlock builds and still keeps Zoo viable.

scy

It makes certain efficiency plays (e.g., 7 cards in hand 7 Mana means you can tap and play a Mountain Giant, 2 Mana +1 Health Twilight Drake) an impossibility. It doesn't disrupt the on-curve parts of the deck though.

It does hurt top-deck potential in general. Which does really hamper Zoo's efficiency since they lose a full turn when they have to start tapping. That kind of change would most likely serve to raise the average cost of Zoo up a bit so it doesn't stall out.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I got enough dust to create a legendary but I can't decide. I want something for my Deathrattle deck so...Cairne or Sylvanas? I think that Cairne would be more useful in my other decks but Sylvanas is rather tempting.

Both are useful. I would probably go Cairne first but either works.

Cairne was my first crafted legendary. He's not as situational as Sylvanas. Sylvanas requires the other player to have a minion on the board in order to get the full benefit, and then you're subject to RNG if they have more than one.

Cipherr

I think its a great idea and likely to happen. Handlock wouldn't be destroyed by it but zoo would take a leap and thats a good thing although Ill miss the easy wins a bit, but it would be good for the game for sure.

Both are useful. I would probably go Cairne first but either works.

Cairne was my first crafted legendary. He's not as situational as Sylvanas. Sylvanas requires the other player to have a minion on the board in order to get the full benefit, and then you're subject to RNG if they have more than one.

Thanks guys. I was about to craft Cairne but still ended up with Sylvanas. She's a better fit for my Warlock Deathrattle deck to come. I'm keeping her as a turn 10 backup plan to be unleashed with Shadowflame. Might even get two minions if I have Rivendare on board.

gutshot

I don't really see the problem with the mind control crystal, it always seemed pretty obvious to me. Use the card, control the understudy which are already on board from the beginning. The way it's phrased just adds flavor but I don't see how you could be confused by it.

It seems to me the confusion came about because people think that those are cards a player can collect and use in PvP games, when in actuality they are only used in one specific PvE encounter.

Ultrabum

Playing zoo is pretty fun every once in a while. I feel like I've won every game when it starts, and they have to make a rediculus play to win. Like a spell dmg + aoe or a crazy combo or something. But even if that happens I can always turn it around with lucky soulfires!

Also really fun to play zoo vs hunters, playing the mind games with traps and guessing if they have unleash combo.

Tacitus_

Goddamn who does Blizzard hire as their code monkeys? You can buy the wings early with gold with this one simple trick.
change your local time to a date that has that wing unlocked
I'm half surprised it doesn't let you play it too.
Well, with the purchase out of the way, I should be able to enjoy the wing straight out of the gate.

Zemm

I give up. I can't play a game like this where at least 70 percent is against the same deck, let alone class. I have the sound of the void walker and flame imp rattling in my ear drums. Win or lose it feels like I'm losing brain cells playing this game. I'm just glad I've not given blizzard any money for naxx yet. I'll come back in 2015 when they might get around to fixing the game.

Tacitus_

I give up. I can't play a game like this where at least 70 percent is against the same deck, let alone class. I have the sound of the void walker and flame imp rattling in my ear drums. Win or lose it feels like I'm losing brain cells playing this game. I'm just glad I've not given blizzard any money for naxx yet. I'll come back in 2015 when they might get around to fixing the game.

etJThTl.gif

tariniel

If you fight against 70% zoo, then play a deck that has a decent zoo matchup. If you are too stubborn to switch your deck, then the problem is with you.

Tacitus_

If you fight against 70% zoo, then play a deck that has a decent zoo matchup. If you are too stubborn to switch your deck, then the problem is with you.

Tbh, that sounds like an exaggeration. I played 10 games today and faced one zoo.
though I played zoo myself so maybe that counts as 10 zoo games, :lol

ok cya tomorrow

Ultrabum

I don't think there really are any decks that have a great matchup vs zoo though. Maybe hunter? But I've been killing hunters all day with zoo so....

Maybe control warrior, but who has all those cards?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sorry if I came off that way. I normally encourage venting because I know Hearthstone can get frustrating (as any PvP game can). I was just trying to say to step back a bit if you're feeling particularly negative lest you become Yoshichan.
:lol What does this even mean?

I got pissed off enough at hunter pre-UTH nerf that I stopped playing constructed for awhile. but shit happens and the meta shifts and you come back.

Tacitus_

Classy, you must be a Zoo player.

As if playing a cheap (in dust) and effective deck somehow makes me a bad human being :lol

I'm just tired of the pointless tooth gnashing you post every time. It's like Yoshi but without his entertaining flair (<3 you Yoshi)

tariniel

I don't think there really are any decks that have a great matchup vs zoo though. Maybe hunter? But I've been killing hunters all day with zoo so....

Maybe control warrior, but who has all those cards?

Mileage varies for everyone, I suppose. I have some decks that I feel have favorable matchups with zoo compared to my other decks. Whether this objectively true or not, I can't say; they just seem to work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom