• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I'm really happy to see blizzard start printing non-legendary 7+ mana minions. The game needs them badly for new players who want big flashy minions but don't own a lot of cards yet.

I can't see it getting any play in high end constructed but it looks like something new players will have a lot of fun with.

en-us-small.png

Yuck, more disappointment

Xanathus

That card looks so damn fake... goddamnit blizzard. Also this is evidence why you really shouldn't buy their stupid preorder promotion, so many of the cards are going to be trash.

Dahbomb

The text also doesn't seem to be centered vertically. Looks more fake than most fake cards.

That cards gets a big flat "meh" for me though it's cool to have a big Common minion for new players to use.

Szadek

New voted card:
Budget Legendary?

Also thanks for the input ZealousD. Kinda figured but was curious.
Yeah,that's pretty terrible,but maybe some low budget decks will find some use for it.

What is it with blizzards obsession with 9/7's anyway?
It's a horrible way to distribute 16 stats.The only playable 9/7 is Mal' Ganis and that's only the case,because a 4 mana card can summon him.

Hektor

So, its like rag, but costs one more mana, has worse stat distribution, does only 4 dmg instead of 8 and can deal that dmg only once instead of every turn with the only upside beeing that you can actually choose a target?

Yeah.. no, thx.

Dahbomb

It's a horrible way to distribute 16 stats.The only playable 9/7 is Mal' Ganis and that's only the case,because a 4 mana card can summon him.
There are way more 8/8s in the game than 9/7.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It is extremely powerful in arena. It is kinda like what fire elemental might look like at 9 mana. 4 damage is worth about 3 mana so you are paying 6 mana for the body. That is really good. In a topdeck war in arena that is a huge pull.

So, its like rag, but costs one more mana, has worse stat distribution, does only 4 dmg instead of 8 and can deal that dmg only once instead of every turn with the only upside beeing that you can actually choose a target?

Yeah.. no, thx.

I guess the upside is you could run 2 of these? Not like anyone ever would, people hardly run Rag nowadays and this thing still dies to BGH

And yeah I agree, should be pretty good in Arena where Force Tank MAX and other cards like that are played.

I guess the upside is you could run 2 of these? Not like anyone ever would, people hardly run Rag nowadays and this thing still dies to BGH

And yeah I agree, should be pretty good in Arena where Force Tank MAX and other cards like that are played.

The upside of the card is that it costs 40 dust, not 1600.

ZealousD

That card is like the new Force Tank MAX. Unplayable in Constructed but in arena/brawls it could get use.

Xanathus

I feel like "but it's good in arena" is like some kind of terrible excuse for Blizzard's card design team.

edit: it's not even a fucking Dragon minion type cmon

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
9/7 balances itself out.

1) Gets hit by BGH, check.
2) Fireball + Fireblast, check.
3) Dies to Dr. Boom, check.
4) Skill Command and any 2/x, check.
5) Easy to kill for Rogue, easy to kill for Warrior, check and check.

It's 7/9 which would be a very, very, dangerous stat distribution to play with.

Yeah,that's pretty terrible,but maybe some low budget decks will find some use for it.

Gotta make sure that Dr. Balance can trade favorably with them.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
All these bad cards are going to ruin unstable portal. It's one card that is going to get weaker and weaker.

The mana discount still makes a lot of them really good. Getting this as a 6 mana 9/7 that does 4 damage is pretty amazing compared to a 6 mana 6/5 3 damage fire ele.

Though fizzlebang would be a really bad draw.

Pooya

Sure, but chances of you pulling amazing things get lower and lower. It's usually played early in the game, a 6 drop won't do any good still, please stop printing all these 9 mana monstrosities!

Dahbomb

9/7 balances itself out.

1) Gets hit by BGH, check.
2) Fireball + Fireblast, check.
3) Dies to Dr. Boom, check.
4) Skill Command and any 2/x, check.
5) Easy to kill for Rogue, easy to kill for Warrior, check and check.

It's 7/9 which would be a very, very, dangerous stat distribution to play with.

Gotta make sure that Dr. Balance can trade favorably with them.

LMAO you guys are slaying me!

Today is the daily reminder that not a single card has been showcased that is actually better than Dr Balanced.

Pooya

legendary cards that are all about hero power won't be as good as Dr Balanced obviously, that probably covers all class legs and so far two of the three neutral ones. The other one depends on seeing what other pirates are in the set, even then I think Leeroy is a better card even in a pirate deck.

Beating classics or Dr Boom is quite hard.

JesseZao

You spend 2 mana on the initial portal. Why does everybody forget this?

Only matters if the opportunity cost was to miss a better use of that mana. At worst, you didn't use that mana to keep tempo. At best, you didn't ping face on turn 2.

New Card:

Kraken ~> Alexstraza if you can get your opponent down to 18hp by turn 9, I guess.

Arena card only. Not enough impact for the cost.

ZealousD

People are complaining that the card is a disappointment but if all 132 cards were playable in Constructed than people would be complaining about power creep instead.

Blizzard can never win.

Dahbomb

People are complaining that the card is a disappointment but if all 132 cards were playable in Constructed than people would be complaining about power creep instead.

Blizzard can never win.
I think people just want cooler cards.

Like that Justicar card is COOL. It's probably total shit but at least it's interesting.

A lot of the cards showcased are at least cool even if they aren't that good. This card on the other hand sticks out as being "meh" compared to the other showcased so far especially for its cost.

My only concern with the new expansion is to introduce more new cool cards and don't have as many RNG-based cards. If you introduce enough cool cards then some of them end up being strong anyway because decks can be build around the strength of a card.

Minsc

Gold Member

Blizzard can never win.

Blizzard absolutely won't win if people don't use a decent number of cards from the set in ranked. That's the only reason to spend money for packs, to make ranked decks. Power creep > disappointing cards. :)

JesseZao

Blizzard can never win.

I suppose they don't want to spoil all of the cool new cards at first, but it's just a rather boring card to have revealed from voting first.

Opiate

Blizzard absolutely won't win if people don't use a decent number of cards from the set in ranked. That's the only reason to spend money for packs, to make ranked decks. Power creep > disappointing cards. :)

I think there is a balance. If 80 of the cards are imminently playable, that's probably too many and almost certainly means significant power creep. If only 5 cards are playable, that's too few. But if, say, 30 of the cards are playable, 10-20 become staples for certain decks, and 3-10 are really great such that they either create new archetypes or become staples in multiple pre-existing archetypes, then that's pretty good.

Malice215

The design of that North Sea Kraken is unInspiring. Maybe they want to reveal all the boring stuff first I guess.

Okay stats for a neutral common. Really good card in arena. Trash bin for constructed.

Opiate

Commonly played GvG cards in constructed decks:

Clockwork Gnome
Cogmaster
Annoy O Tron
Explosive Sheep
Mechwarper
Micro Machine
Spider Tank
Tinkertown Technician
Mechanical Yeti
Piloted Shredder
Antique Healbot
Kezan Mystic
Fel Reaver
Piloted Sky Golem
Dr. Boom
Toshley
Glaivezooka
Flamecannon
Snowchugger
Unstable Portal
Goblin Blastmage
Echo of Medivh
Muster for Battle
Shielded Minibot
Coghammer
Quartermaster
Velen's Chosen
Vuljin
Lightbomb
Tinker's oil
Crackle
Whirling Zap o matic
Powermace
Darkbomb
Implosion
Mistress of pain
Malganis
Shieldmaiden

38 cards across all classes out of 123 cards. As such, I think hoping for 1/4 to 1/3 of all cards being reasonably playable is a good goal.

Dahbomb

Commonly played GvG cards in constructed decks:

Clockwork Gnome
Cogmaster
Annoy O Tron
Explosive Sheep
Mechwarper
Micro Machine
Spider Tank
Tinkertown Technician
Mechanical Yeti
Piloted Shredder
Antique Healbot
Kezan Mystic
Fel Reaver
Piloted Sky Golem
Dr. Boom
Toshley
Glaivezooka
Flamecannon
Snowchugger
Unstable Portal
Goblin Blastmage
Echo of Medivh
Muster for Battle
Shielded Minibot
Coghammer
Quartermaster
Velen's Chosen
Vuljin
Lightbomb
Tinker's oil
Crackle
Whirling Zap o matic
Powermace
Darkbomb
Implosion
Mistress of pain
Malganis
Shieldmaiden

38 cards across all classes out of 123 cards. As such, I think hoping for 1/4 to 1/3 of all cards being reasonably playable is a good goal.
Some of those are kinda stretching it like Toshley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom