• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poisoned blade seems to be more about inspire synergy and less about merely buffing your weapon's attack by 1 each turn. Really looking at it the wrong way imo.

So the way I think about the card is it could be really good, or really bad, based on what inspire cards we get. What if there is an inspire card: heal the hero for 4? That would create awesome synergy imo.

In short, while the damage it puts out is not irrelevant and is a big part about how good or bad the card is, can't ignore the purpose the card would be played for which is inspire synergy imo.

Poisoned Blade would still be shit. I'd run that inspire self heal card and just use my hero power without that 4 mana pile of garbage.

Poisoned Blade would still be shit. I'd run that inspire self heal card and just use my hero power without that 4 mana pile of garbage.

So have fun overwriting your deadly poison or sword oils to get inspire to work. Or you simply won't get the inspire effects off your cards each turn because you won't do that. Or you simply won't run inspire cards at all.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oh yeah, Inspire is awful with Rogue.

Really should've just brought back this:
Unknown alpha patch: Now reads: Equip a 1/2 Dagger; or Give your weapon +1 Attack this turn.
Previously: Same effect as above, but the +1 Attack is permanent.

So have fun overwriting your deadly poison or sword oils to get inspire to work. Or you simply won't get the inspire effects off your cards each turn because you won't do that. Or you simply won't run inspire cards at all.

Unless they introduce cards to drastically slow down the meta, most people will not be running inspire cards

Dahbomb

The card seems so obviously overcosted that I have to believe that there are other Rogue cards in this set that make it reasonable. There's no way that card works in a vacuum.
The card is over costed because it's like pre-nerf Rogue hero power. And because without this card Rogue's hero power is anti synergy with the Inspire mechanic.

This card by itself could be a win condition alongside Oil and Blade Flurry. Imagine that you get that card and the 2 drop that allows you to use hero power twice. You manage to get that Blade to 7 damage, then you Oil up, hit face and next turn you have a lethal set up even if they were at 30 health before.

Remember that a lot of people thought Tinker's Oil wasn't good. Maybe this card is like that. In any case at least the card is interesting.

Probably the last one. Inspire doesn't work particularly well with Rogue, and Poisoned Blade doesn't do a whole lot to change that. It's just bad value for what you pay and you open yourself up to Harrison or Swamp Ooze by sitting on a weapon for multiple turns. That's why most use Blade Flurry before they even take 3 swings with an Assassin's Blade.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Remember that a lot of people thought Tinker's Oil wasn't good. Maybe this card is like that. In any case at least the card is interesting.

People figured out that Tinkers was good because it became a win condition with Blade Flurry. In arena I will not pick Tinkers because that combo doesnt really happen consistently, so it is kinda bad there. In a vacuum, this card needs several turns to ramp up in power enough to do serious damage. So you leave yourself open for Harrison or Ooze.

Ultrabum

I'm willing to bet the inspire mechanic becomes completely unusable in constructed decks. Quite frankly I think it's going to be too slow, and I think blizzard will fuck it up.

It's a whole new mechanic that's going to sit unused like all the 7+ legends other than dr boom.

Dahbomb

People figured out that Tinkers was good because it became a win condition with Blade Flurry. In arena I will not pick Tinkers because that combo doesnt really happen consistently, so it is kinda bad there. In a vacuum, this card needs several turns to ramp up in power enough to do serious damage. So you leave yourself open for Harrison or Ooze.
That's the main weakness for sure. If this card ends up being insane for whatever reason, people will just shut it down with Harrison and Ooze (before it ramps up too much).

One thing is for sure that without those cards, this card would help Rogue in the Control Warrior match up.

Hektor

I'm willing to bet the inspire mechanic becomes completely unusable in constructed decks. Quite frankly I think it's going to be too slow, and I think blizzard will fuck it up.

It's a whole new mechanic that's going to sit unused like all the 7+ legends other than dr boom.

Wouldnt that be an absolute catastrophe for blizzard? An entire expansions build around a new mechanic and nobody using it?

Dahbomb

Wouldnt that be an absolute catastrophe for blizzard? An entire expansions build around a new mechanic and nobody using it?
90% of their neutral Legendaries went unused in GvG. I don't think they care that much, the casuals will still try to get the shiny new Legendaries.

Inspire might be slow but just like the Inner Fire Priest combos its something that can get out of hand at lower ranks. Casuals will see some Inspire combo get out of hand, think they are better than they actually are and then go to buy some packs.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't see an issue with the Kraken. It's a big, common Fire Elemental for Arena.

Also for Recombobulate and Effigy, it's pretty useful as a 9 drop.

It would be pretty unlikely for anyone but a newer player to include it in their constructed deck obviously.

Agraavan

You guys were talking early about how the overload mechanic sucks and it made me think: would the addition of cards that use locked crystal mana be viable or, better, useful?

Those cards would be situational but, as with the overloaded cards, better than the counterparts, making it possible to don't fall behind on the curve.

Something like:

2 mana costs + 2 locked mana with stats similiar to a 4.x (or 5, depending of balance) mana card.

eg. You could use a Feral Spirit on turn 3 and this new card on turn 4.

Dahbomb

You can have a card like:

Unbound Mage: 5 mana 4/5 Battlecry: Gain +2/+2 for each locked crystal and unlock all locked crystals.

Ultrabum

Nah, they will put 2 or 3 super good cards (i.e. the new dr. boom, emp. thorian, ect.) that are auto include in every deck and people will buy packs trying to get them.

ZealousD

You can have a card like:

Unbound Mage: 5 mana 4/5 Battlecry: Gain +2/+2 for each locked crystal and unlock all locked crystals.

The hell, man. I know people think every card played in Constructed is OP but that is like Dr. Boom+ levels of busted. You got insane stats for the cost AND you completely removed the penalty for the borrowed tempo from the previous turn.

How about a 5 mana 4/6 with the text "Overloaded Crystals count towards the mana cost of this minion." That way you can follow up a Turn 4 that you overloaded on with a half decent 5 drop. Fireguard Destroyer into this.

The hell, man. I know people think every card played in Constructed is OP but that is like Dr. Boom+ levels of busted. You got insane stats for the cost AND you completely removed the penalty for the borrowed tempo from the previous turn.

How about a 5 mana 4/6 with the text "Overloaded Crystals count towards the mana cost of this minion." That way you can follow up a Turn 4 that you overloaded on with a half decent 5 drop. Fireguard Destroyer into this.

The argument can be made that there is almost zero borrowed tempo from most overload cards at this point.

Dahbomb

That's the kind of card Shaman needs to make Overload worth it though.

Note that the card doesn't work if you are 5 mana but one crystal is overloaded. To get the buff you need to drop it at 6 mana with one mana crystal locked.

If you buff it with two crystals then it's a BGH target. Think of it like a reverse Unbound Elemental (but better of course).

daemissary

They should just make two creatures that cost less when you are overloaded. Like a 3/4 for 3 and a 4/6 for 5 that each cost 1 less for every locked crystal. That way you are guaranteed to have drops on those turns.

Just two quick questions for everyone here:

1) Is this game as fun on mobile as it is on PC? I've only been playing for a day, but I'm thinking of using it on my phone too. But is it a bit clunky on a smaller screen, especially only on a phone?

2) How much data does this use on a phone? I have a limited data plan so I don't want to go over if I can avoid it.

ZealousD

That's the kind of card Shaman needs to make Overload worth it though.

Did you graduate from the Mad Scientist School of game balance? Secrets weren't being played! So lets all add a blatantly OP card to solve the problem!

squidyj

The card is over costed because it's like pre-nerf Rogue hero power. And because without this card Rogue's hero power is anti synergy with the Inspire mechanic.

This card by itself could be a win condition alongside Oil and Blade Flurry. Imagine that you get that card and the 2 drop that allows you to use hero power twice. You manage to get that Blade to 7 damage, then you Oil up, hit face and next turn you have a lethal set up even if they were at 30 health before.

getting it to 7 requires 3 turns of basically sitting on it assuming your double up dude stays up, which isn't going to happen so lets say you're really lucky and you get 2 turns of double hero power out of him, because he's a fucking 2/3 who gets shit on by everything in every deck ever, if your opponent doesn't kill him it's because he's face hunter and by the time you get your shitty little combo off you're already dead.

So anyways you hero power and hero power and waste 6-12 mana and 4 or more likely 5 or even 6 turns on your combo to get it up to 7. how do you see yourself winning this game?

CoolOff

Only things on board are three opponent minions, with 1, 2, and 3 health respectively.

Play Madder Bomber, 3/6 hits my own face.

Why you gotta do me like that? ;_;

Dahbomb

Did I dream or was there a TGT card that said "Allows secrets to trigger on your turn"?
There was a fake Mage card someone made that had that effect in Hearthstone.

Did you graduate from the Mad Scientist School of game balance? Secrets weren't being played! So lets all add a blatantly OP card to solve the problem!
I don't even think that card is that powerful for the reasons I stated. Just like people were going in on Fireguard Destroyer when it was first unveiled. Maybe make it a 4/4 for 5 mana but why not just play Frostwolf Giant instead then or that new Draenei card?

daemissary

1) Is this game as fun on mobile as it is on PC? I've only been playing for a day, but I'm thinking of using it on my phone too. But is it a bit clunky on a smaller screen, especially only on a phone?

2) How much data does this use on a phone? I have a limited data plan so I don't want to go over if I can avoid it.

I play mostly on mobile now and I don't mind the smaller screen, I've misclicked once over months of play on mobile.

It uses a shockingly low amount of data. I don't know exact numbers but I play very heavily and I haven't hit my 2 GB data cap once since I started playing. I used to hit my data cap very frequently before Hearthstone came to mobile and I was using that same free time to browse the Internet.

Minsc

Gold Member
So you think overload cards would be balanced if you removed the overload penalty?

Bullshit.

I'd be curious to hear how many games out of 10-15 in ranked you win as Shaman in (and against what). The class struggles so much in ranked, if you don't get the perfect draws you basically lose.

Shaman is in a really crappy spot currently, and needs some cards that are close to broken to bring some life in it. Other classes have downright broken cards/combos, shaman really doesn't outside of mech shaman with a great start and your opponent having no removal/silence.

I think you have to realize that in some cases, even late game, having a 2-drop overload 1 is worse than a 3 drop with no overload (like basically any situation where you need the mana crystal for the next turn, and have unused ones on the current turn).

So there are times that a totem golem is worse than a spider tank (tribe aside), despite it costing less. That's what is so crappy about overload, it's not inherently better.

JesseZao

I play mostly on mobile now and I don't mind the smaller screen, I've misclicked once over months of play on mobile.

It uses a shockingly low amount of data. I don't know exact numbers but I play very heavily and I haven't hit my 2 GB data cap once since I started playing. I used to hit my data cap very frequently before Hearthstone came to mobile and I was using that same free time to browse the Internet.

Yea, the data use is small. The main concern while playing on mobile is the battery usage. I haven't explicitly tested it, but my S4 would probably drain from full somewhere between 1-2 hours.

Dahbomb

The best question to ask is how strong are the Shaman cards if you include the overload cost as the base cost of the card.

Lava Burst would be awful for 5 mana. Fork Lightning would be awful for 3 mana. Lightning Bolt would be a worse Quick Shot. Feral Spirts are two Cubs for 5 mana, not all that great. Lightning Storm isn't that great at 5 mana.

The main problem is that when you add 2 or more overload penalties the cards become strictly worse than their counter parts where as at 1 overload the cards are "average" (like that new Totem). The advantage is you get to play them earlier but it impacts your turn afterwards.

What happens is that you get a good start using your overload card. You play an overload minion but it gets removed efficiently. Next turn you are shit out of luck because of the overload and from there it's very hard to come back.

Some of the best Shaman cards are the non overload cards like Fire Elemental, Rockbiter and Hex.

iNvid02

XIDefD2.png

cZBPSUu.png

79RuzlD.jpg

manhack

I'm hoping they can make some shaman cards that actually use the overload as a resource or to create some sort of tempo advantage on top of the overload letting you play a more powerful card early.

Lava shock is interesting to remove overload, but imagine cards that cost less, do more damage or create special effects based on overload.

Many of the most powerful cards in the meta right now are the one that can cheat out a powerful effect earlier than would be possible on curve.

CoolOff

Went back to clear Heroic BRM. Had apparently made it to Rend Blackhand last time.

An hour later, I'm still on Rend Blackhand.

Edit: Fucking finally. ༼ ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ EVERYONE,GET IN HERE ༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º ༽

V-Faction

The best question to ask is how strong are the Shaman cards if you include the overload cost as the base cost of the card.

Lava Burst would be awful for 5 mana. Fork Lightning would be awful for 3 mana. Lightning Bolt would be a worse Quick Shot. Feral Spirts are two Cubs for 5 mana, not all that great. Lightning Storm isn't that great at 5 mana.

The main problem is that when you add 2 or more overload penalties the cards become strictly worse than their counter parts where as at 1 overload the cards are "average" (like that new Totem). The advantage is you get to play them earlier but it impacts your turn afterwards.

What happens is that you get a good start using your overload card. You play an overload minion but it gets removed efficiently. Next turn you are shit out of luck because of the overload and from there it's very hard to come back.

Some of the best Shaman cards are the non overload cards like Fire Elemental, Rockbiter and Hex.

Yup. Overload (1) cards are vastly different from Overload (2) and Overload (3) cards. And the reason is because at some point you're locking out your next turn play regardless, so being down to 1 or 0 mana crystals doesn't matter anyway. Which is ALSO why Lava Shock is so tricky to play with because it's 2 Mana versus 1 Mana.

Personally, I'm just waiting for the overpowered Overload (5) card that's bound to be coming.

North Sea Kraken: The kraken is lackin', it seems. Ho-hum.

Regarding Warriors: Has there ever been discussion towards dual-wielding weapons? I.E. Replacing your Hero Power with a secondary weapon, gain its effect when you attack, that sort of stuff? Because there are a surplus of weps to use in the class that only having one slot to equip feels constraining.

Tubie

The only thing you will have to worry about is battery usage. It can drain my Galaxy 3 from full in like 2 hours.

CoolOff

Draw perfectly against heroic Chromaggus, only for him to drop Nozdormu when I'm 2 turns from winning and the bug making it skip my turn.

tumblr_inline_nryn7ohyWP1r79k32_500.gif

iNvid02

As long as you aren't getting completely out-tempo'ed in the early game, you win every game.

Nice draft!

yeah got lucky with the mulligan/opponents most times enough to delay the early game, but a rematch with a hunter where i got tempo crushed ended me at 10 wins. absolutely disgusting deck i must say ;D

I just came up with the greatest concept for a card, ever.

ZUOyWzi.png

finally, its my time to shine

mQ2nQj3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom