• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

caesar

Banned
Theres no reason not to play patron on ladder if you're climbing and good with the deck.

Pleboladin gets rekt
Shaman gets rekt
Zoo gets rekt
Face hunter gets rekt
Priest LOL
Mage and druid are 60/40

Yes thats right fill your board with 2/1 trash, now watch me be 'interactive' and deal 38 dmg with 2 frothings.

As long as u dont face handlock or oil rogue youre laughing all the way to the bank.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I still can't believe how dumb that video that Trump posted was. My opinion of Trump had been falling a bit and that thing just put it over the edge. Making predictions about card strength is fine. Hell I've done it. But making huge buffs to that many cards and even then proclaiming that they wouldn't be good enough to be run is ridiculous. He even took cards that he were admitted were good and made them even better because he really, really wanted to push certain archetypes. Sometimes with blatant power creep. It's arrogant and short-sighted for him to make that many changes, with so many of them awful. I can only hope that the video bites him in the ass as he ends up suggesting a buff to some card that actually sees quite a bit of play.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Finished my rank 5 climb with midrange paladin. Went from 12 to 5 without much trouble only seeing 4 patrons, losing to one of them. Hunter, flamewaker/mech mages, and zoolock is what I saw the most by far. I wish control paladin was stronger, midrange feels like braindead smorc most of the time.

Bizazedo

Decided to make a free account on the Asian servers. The matchmaking is pretty nice, went against pure newbs / ton of new players and slaughtered everyone to rank 20 with a f2p mage deck. Kind of crazy, I was expecting it to be more torturous.

Now just grinding mage to 20 in casual, painfully, to try and unlock the brawl before it goes away :(.

Anyone know what newb / free decks are best for the Naxx / BRM wings?

CoolOff

That's what I'm trying to figure out. When Blizzard announces something for a certain date it usually means at 3am eastern of that day.

I would assume early morning Pacific, when they get in to the office for the day, so they have an entire day of dealing with possible problems.

It's arrogant and short-sighted for him to make that many changes, with so many of them awful. I can only hope that the video bites him in the ass as he ends up suggesting a buff to some card that actually sees quite a bit of play.
I don't see how this video hurts the game in any way. It'd just him sharing his thoughts about some cards and how he'd change them. Someone joked he was gunning for a job at Blizzard, which isprobably true, but he probably also did it for fun as well. I thought Blizzard also mentioned how they want interesting ideas/cards overall just having better cards (This I'm really unsure about so ignore that if it isn't true). His ideas don't hurt the game at all so in don't see what the issue is.

However, I will say one thing he should of done is explain why his proposed changes are small and ineffective into the overall game instead of just focusing on the one card. I feel like he just talks about each card in a vacuum and doesn't analyze the game as a whole. For example he just brushes off Argent Watchman even when he proposes it as a 3/4 for 2. If that existed it would be a neutral Totem Golem for control decks. Who cares if you don't play another minion on turn 3 if your 2 drop can take our their three drop and maybe even their 3 drop and all that's needed is for you to hero power.

Dahbomb

I still can't believe how dumb that video that Trump posted was. My opinion of Trump had been falling a bit and that thing just put it over the edge. Making predictions about card strength is fine. Hell I've done it. But making huge buffs to that many cards and even then proclaiming that they wouldn't be good enough to be run is ridiculous. He even took cards that he were admitted were good and made them even better because he really, really wanted to push certain archetypes. Sometimes with blatant power creep. It's arrogant and short-sighted for him to make that many changes, with so many of them awful. I can only hope that the video bites him in the ass as he ends up suggesting a buff to some card that actually sees quite a bit of play.

I stopped watching until the Spawn of Shadows part because it was that bad and then I decided to watch the rest and he actually suggested a 5/4 Armored Horse...

da-fuck.jpg

Straight up power creeping over Tallstrider without giving a single fuck.

The Skeleton Knight change is also quite awful. The card HAS to have bad stats to not be completely insane. Making it a 6 mana 6/6 is ridiculously over the top.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I don't see how this video hurts the game in any way. It'd just him sharing his thoughts about some cards and how he'd change them. Someone joked he was gunning for a job at Blizzard, which isprobably true, but he probably also did it for fun as well. I thought Blizzard also mentioned how they want interesting ideas/cards overall just having better cards (This I'm really unsure about so ignore that if it isn't true). His ideas don't hurt the game at all so in don't see what the issue is.

However, I will say one thing he should of done is explain why his proposed changes are small and ineffective into the overall game instead of just focusing on the one card. I feel like he just talks about each card in a vacuum and doesn't analyze the game as a whole. For example he just brushes off Argent Watchman even when he proposes it as a 3/4 for 2. If that existed it would be a neutral Totem Golem for control decks. Who cares if you don't play another minion on turn 3 if your 2 drop can take our their three drop and maybe even their 3 drop and all that's needed is for you to hero power.

Introducing overpowered cards hurts the game. Introducing a ton of power creep hurts the game. Some of his potential changes were INSANE and he was only introducing some of them because he wanted to push particular deck archetypes that were interesting to himself. And I don't think a move like this would personally impress Blizzard with Trump's game knowledge since it seems obvious to me that as broad of a net that Trump casted that Blizzard had implemented certain cards in their initial testing as he proposed and found them to be too strong. Ben Brode specifically mentioned Argent Watchmen as being too strong as a 3/4 for instance. Is it really going to impress Blizzard if Trump suggets it as a 3/4? Not really. He also really doesn't do any real analysis of the changes he made. He evaluates the original form of a card, adds a extra stat, adds two stats, or changes the mana cost by one, and pretends that he really didn't make that big of a change. He also tries to say that he's trying to buff trash cards into somewhat playable cards at the beginning of the video, but then he starts throwing out cards that he personally admits are okay and buffs them to make them "push the envelope" or make them "interesting". He didn't really think over what he was doing, imo.

Haunted

Introducing overpowered cards hurts the game. Introducing a ton of power creep hurts the game. Some of his potential changes were INSANE and he was only introducing some of them because he wanted to push particular deck archetypes that were interesting to himself. And I don't think a move like this would personally impress Blizzard with Trump's game knowledge since it seems obvious to me that as broad of a net that Trump casted that Blizzard had implemented certain cards in their initial testing as he proposed and found them to be too strong. Ben Brode specifically mentioned Argent Watchmen as being too strong as a 3/4 for instance. Is it really going to impress Blizzard if Trump suggets it as a 3/4? Not really. He also really doesn't do any real analysis of the changes he made. He evaluates the original form of a card, adds a extra stat, adds two stats, or changes the mana cost by one, and pretends that he really didn't make that big of a change. He also tries to say that he's trying to buff trash cards into somewhat playable cards at the beginning of the video, but then he starts throwing out cards that he personally admits are okay and buffs them to make them "push the envelope" or make them "interesting". He didn't really think over what he was doing, imo.
He viewed his changes through the lens of "would I play this card over Dr. Boom, Y/N".

I don't think a job at Blizzard is the angle here, it was just a personal/fun/interesting thing to do on stream (and it was). And as someone who's always going to be one of the 0.5% of players that will have every single new card on day 1, I can see how he wants more powerful cards and is fine with straight up power creep. >_>

Dahbomb

"I am fine with making a card that is strictly better than Boulderfist Ogre because Boulderfist Ogre doesn't see play."

I swear this video has to be a troll because that's the type of thing that Blizzard would say and do (like Booty Bay Bodyguard).

Ashodin

Yeahhhhh it's clear Trump has no idea about how to balance stuff against other cards. He's just buffing individual cards without realizing what's already there.

I guess I just don't see why people are getting worked up for just silly ideas. I can understand why they're bad changes and I agree that he should of put more thought into them. Does that really mean he deserves bad things to happen to him? Just seems a little ridiculous to me.

Cob32

Downloaded this on my iPhone last night after being disappointed with triple triad. Managed to win an online match after 2 losses.

Seems great so far.

Dahbomb

I guess I just don't see why people are getting worked up for just silly ideas. I can understand why they're bad changes and I agree that he should of put more thought into them. Does that really mean he deserves bad things to happen to him? Just seems a little ridiculous to me.
I think it's just a bit ridiculous to be suggesting balance changes on cards that haven't been released yet.

The most reasonable thing about that video was at the end with the 3 cards being existing cards. I would be fine with those Dr Balanced and Shredder changes for example. Those two cards have been used so many times that we have more than enough data to gauge their strength. The Berserker nerf is iffy and doesn't really fix the actual problem people have with the deck (ie. you die instantly which this nerf would still allow as you can still do double Berserker and double Whirldwind effects for huge damage).

Valygar

Downloaded this on my iPhone last night after being disappointed with triple triad. Managed to win an online match after 2 losses.

Seems great so far.

Try to get rank 20 in ranked this next week. You will earn a reward and you can't go below ranks >20.
There are some good basic decks out there once you have the class at level 10, priest for example.

Razakin

I need to spectate someone win for daily quest, but battle.net friends are offline or not in mood for HS. Can anyone assist me? Vihermaali#2271, EU
Added you if you still need someone to win. And if I can assume by your B.Net tag that you're a fellow Finn right?

Dahbomb

Kripparrian on TGT card collection:

"Don't buy too many packs. Wait for the meta settle to craft the new Legendaries. Cards are balanced in TGT but balanced doesn't mean good enough for Constructed. Oh and Dr Balanced will Dr Balanced."

Xanathus

"Don't buy too many packs. Wait for the meta settle to craft the new Legendaries. Cards are balanced in TGT but balanced doesn't mean good enough for Constructed. Oh and Dr Balanced will Dr Balanced."

If there was a Hearthstone expansion that you probably would be totally fine not having a single card of, TGT would be it.

Dreavus

At rank 11 playing a priest deck that started as mech, until I realized the synergies aren't worth it. Basically the 5/5 that buffs a mech is the only card that cares about mechs, which isn't worth it when compared some something like blastmage.

I seem to do okay against aggro if I draw a Holy Nova. Senjin have been great for me over shredders, especially if they don't have the Insta-owl.

Stolen a few games from aggro decks with light warden + holy Nova on my board that's hurt from trading with their guys. Gotten pretty lucky against patron so far too. I'm not sure how the deck does against control since I haven't run into much yet.

Xanathus

I am not sure about that to be honest. There will definitely be a few must have cards from TGT.

Ignoring any undiscovered new tier 1 decks that may come from TGT which I doubt will happen, none of the cards in TGT that you would replace in an existing deck are a complete upgrade over the replaced card. At best it would just be a side-grade which is better in some situations but worse than others. An example would be replacing Zombie Chow with Darnissus Aspirant in Druid. Sure Aspirant has a great effect but it's 2 mana whereas Chow has the advantage of being only 1 and can stop aggro immediately in it's tracks, and also help fill out awkward mana curves.

Pooya

Seems reasonable there, the cards that could be really good are epics or legendary cards. A few rares are good and you will get them from your packs.

Line_HTX

From the looks of it, it looks like Rogue and Shaman got significant improvement in general with TGT. I could be wrong though. I'd love for more cool stuff for Rogue.

Personally I think inspire mage could be a thing after playing the brawl. And it could take a fair amount of dust/cards since a lot of the necessary ones are epic. And Saraad.

Inspire tempo mage.

I really should craft eSportal at some point too. Somehow I never got any in all the GvG packs I've opened. But I don't have the Flamewaker wing of BRM, so not quite pressing.

Still thinking Harrison is the best first use of my current dust stockpile, but I've been holding off in case I needed stuff from TGT.

Xanathus

From the looks of it, it looks like Rogue and Shaman got significant improvement in general with TGT. I could be wrong though. I'd love for more cool stuff for Rogue.

You are very very wrong about Rogue.

Personally I think inspire mage could be a thing after playing the brawl. And it could take a fair amount of dust/cards since a lot of the necessary ones are epic. And Saraad.

Inspire tempo mage.
Inspire tempo is an oxymoron.

I think he means that preordering TGT is a joke and you shouldn't do it.

You should pretty much do it if you were going to buy packs anyway (like me). If you weren't going to buy packs anyway and don't really care about a 25% discount then you obviously shouldn't.

If there was a Hearthstone expansion that you probably would be totally fine not having a single card of, TGT would be it.

quoting this for posterity

Dahbomb

Ignoring any undiscovered new tier 1 decks that may come from TGT which I doubt will happen, none of the cards in TGT that you would replace in an existing deck are a complete upgrade over the replaced card. At best it would just be a side-grade which is better in some situations but worse than others. An example would be replacing Zombie Chow with Darnissus Aspirant in Druid. Sure Aspirant has a great effect but it's 2 mana whereas Chow has the advantage of being only 1 and can stop aggro immediately in it's tracks, and also help fill out awkward mana curves.
This is now getting into personal opinions and predictions but I think there are quite a few cards that would fit into existing decks that either have no other counterpart in that deck or are better options than existing options.

Example is Holy Champion. Any deck running Holy Novas and Circle of Healing should run this card IMO. It's too huge of a threat to leave alone. People don't let Light Wardens live a turn because they are that scared of the card, they should be twice as scared of Holy Champion. Priests that run this type of deck don't use Shredder so you can't even say "oh but Shredder is better than this card". This card provides the offensive pressure the slower Priest decks needed to possibly push them to the next level.

Healing Wave is another example. Shaman class as a whole is very fragile and one of the reasons why they can't play a slower game is because they simply lack the heals or defensive tools. This card combined with Ancestral Knowledge and Elemental Destruction provide Shaman with the tools to play the slower game. Even if the slow Shaman deck doesn't work out, Healing Wave is a great include even in Midrange Shaman for the burst heal against aggro.

And then stuff like the Lightbane/Darkbane cards which are a fine fit in aggro/buff type decks that can get out of control even early in the game.

In any case saying that not even a single card would be worth owning from TGT is hyperbole IMO. I would legit take a bet on this.

Unless Pirate decks are at least tier 2-3 deck... Rogue probably got among the worst class cards in the set. Shaman is definitely top 2 in improvement for TGT though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom